PDA

View Full Version : South Thompson salmon fishing 2023

B-rad
08-07-2023, 08:52 AM
was down at cambell creek last night and there a few fish rolling,,,,they are starting to come in handfull by handfull,,,,keeping fingers crossed we get another pink salmon opener,,,,should be another good year year

HarryToolips
08-07-2023, 08:57 AM
I wish the N Thompson was open....oh well, the rainbow fishing is still lots of fun...

B-rad
08-07-2023, 09:01 AM
I wish the N Thompson was open....oh well, the rainbow fishing is still lots of fun...how you been making out with the rainbows on the north thompson??,,,i miss the opening of clearwater river salmon fishery,,,,was a trip i use to make every year

lovemywinchester
08-07-2023, 09:11 AM
Very low water this year. Will be tough for some boats to launch at Pritchard in a few weeks.

RyoTHC
08-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Very low water this year. Will be tough for some boats to launch at Pritchard in a few weeks.

with the current water levels, I’d be pleasantly surprised if we got a salmon season on the south thompson.

On that note though that might not be a bad thing If boats can’t launch there since you usually just get a bunch of entitled assholes anchoring off the Pritchard bridge and blocking shore fisherman and other boats from moving through slowly. Have seen it each year I’ve fished Pritchard and it pisses me off.

B-rad
08-07-2023, 09:20 AM
Very low water this year. Will be tough for some boats to launch at Pritchard in a few weeks.water is a bit low for this time of year,,,,,water level right now is about the same as water level at end of August from past years,,,as long as water temps dont get too warm the fishing should be awesome again this year,,,,,i soooo want to get into the pink salmon,,,really hoping we get an opening again this year

RyoTHC
08-07-2023, 09:29 AM
water is a bit low for this time of year,,,,,water level right now is about the same as water level at end of August from past years,,,as long as water temps dont get too warm the fishing should be awesome again this year,,,,,i soooo want to get into the pink salmon,,,really hoping we get an opening again this year

are pinks just flossed like sockeye, or do they take bait like chinook? There hasn’t been a pink run since I took up salmon fishing.

bottles
08-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Pinks will bite almost anything pink. Pink crocs are great, pink rooster tails, pink worm/grub under a float, etc.

HarryToolips
08-07-2023, 10:53 AM
how you been making out with the rainbows on the north thompson??,,,i miss the opening of clearwater river salmon fishery,,,,was a trip i use to make every year

My son and I have been doing well at it considering that we're rookies when it comes to river fishing, been doing well on the N Thompson and Clearwater rivers.. thanks for the tips earlier this year, and all the best on any salmon fishing endeavors..

B-rad
08-07-2023, 11:11 AM
are pinks just flossed like sockeye, or do they take bait like chinook? There hasn’t been a pink run since I took up salmon fishing.Pinks are very aggressive,,,,as rule of thumb,,,,,anything pink for the pinks,,,,,they alot smaller than chinook,,,,average between 3-7 lbs,,,,,we had opening for pinks 2 years ago here in kamloops,,,,and it was a blast,,,,,2 years ago where allowed 2/day,,,,,i caught them on pink crocs,,,,,and blue fox spinners with either pink or red on the spinners,,,,you can tell when run is coming through because they like to surface alot,,,,like when a school of sockeye comes through,,,,,fish the pools and eddies,,,,basically anywhere out of direct current,,,every odd year is the pinks main big migration,,,,its definately worth trying out,,,for all ages,,,,perfect for kids to get hooked on salmon fishing

B-rad
08-16-2023, 07:49 AM
Well,,the South Thompson officially opened today for chinook,,,,i wont be going this week,,,wayyyy too hot for me to be sitting on the river,,,startin to cool off on Friday,,,might go then to scout it out,,,i know there a few in there,,have seen a few roll

RyoTHC
08-16-2023, 10:07 AM
I was going to say it’s a rough opening day!
I may sneak down Monday before sunrise and check it out hopefully a 15c cooler few days and nights that are starting to get brisk help the fish.

here’s hoping we get a pink opening as well. The more the merrier.

RyoTHC
08-16-2023, 10:23 AM
I was going to say it’s a rough opening day!
I may sneak down Monday before sunrise and check it out hopefully a 15c cooler few days and nights that are starting to get brisk help the fish.

here’s hoping we get a pink opening as well. The more the merrier.

walks with deer
08-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Panel updated pink number on fraser to 8,600,000 me thinks there will be some pink oppurtunitys just a matter of where and when.

With nets out of the water we should see some strong chinook numbers in the south thompson.. i find these fish open typically before the volume show up..

Anybody have any roe?

B-rad
08-16-2023, 02:30 PM
Panel updated pink number on fraser to 8,600,000 me thinks there will be some pink oppurtunitys just a matter of where and when.

With nets out of the water we should see some strong chinook numbers in the south thompson.. i find these fish open typically before the volume show up..

Anybody have any roe? 2 years ago we had the pinks opened in kamloops from Sept.11----Sept.22 with a 2/day limit,,,and if i recall it was around the 8--9 mill mark aswell,,,,as for chinook,,,the real numbers of fish start to show up usually around 1st week september,,,,,,sorry bud,,,i dont have spare roe this year,,all i have left is 2 skeens left for myself or id give you some,,,,i usually give alot of roe away every year,,,but this year i did crazy amount of trout fishing in feb-march-april

walks with deer
08-16-2023, 02:41 PM
2 years ago we had the pinks opened in kamloops from Sept.11----Sept.22 with a 2/day limit,,,and if i recall it was around the 8--9 mill mark aswell,,,,as for chinook,,,the real numbers of fish start to show up usually around 1st week september,,,,,,sorry bud,,,i dont have spare roe this year,,all i have left is 2 skeens left for myself or id give you some,,,,i usually give alot of roe away every year,,,but this year i did crazy amount of trout fishing in feb-march-april

Ya all my roe went into the cambell creek hole aswell... it was a productive late winter early spring..

Best of luck out there i agree the most fish are first week of septmber but i have a hard time not getting distracted buy then...

tubby
08-17-2023, 08:28 AM
What do you mean nets out of the water?

walks with deer
08-17-2023, 12:32 PM
Zero commercial opening very limited aboriginal opening... 4 years since the bigbar slide and warm dry weather hoping they are letting some fish go spawn.

When they gillnet the fraser the boats are spread about 600yds apart from the mission bridge right out into the straight. Killing everything in the river for that 24 hrs then they do it again a couple days later.

tubby
08-17-2023, 01:28 PM
You might want to look how many FN openings have happened since April.....

What does the big bar slide have to do with the Thompson stocks?

B-rad
08-17-2023, 01:31 PM
woohoo,,,this is great news,,,just released 1 hour ago from canadian press https://i.imgur.com/dNJ1qdGl.png

walks with deer
08-17-2023, 01:36 PM
You might want to look how many FN openings have happened since April.....

What does the big bar slide have to do with the Thompson stocks?

Its limiting harvesting in lower fraser.

To protect sensitive stocks... and very little netting compared to other years.

walks with deer
08-17-2023, 01:38 PM
woohoo,,,this is great news,,,just released 1 hour ago from canadian press https://i.imgur.com/dNJ1qdGl.png

Interesting may take the family south for some cleaner fish when openings start.

tubby
08-17-2023, 05:15 PM
There has been almost 60 openings in the lower Fraser that were directly targetting stocks of concern over the last few months.
Some of those openings are longer than a day for drift and set nets.

They reported taking 2589 springs in this weeks openings alone.....

Also we are two days away from a complete closure of all rivers in Region 2 if the temperature doesnt drop. This may also spread to Region 3.
Hopefully DFO doesnt do this and at least keeps our hatchery supplemented rivers open.

B-rad
08-17-2023, 06:22 PM
There has been almost 60 openings in the lower Fraser that were directly targetting stocks of concern over the last few months.
Some of those openings are longer than a day for drift and set nets.

They reported taking 2589 springs in this weeks openings alone.....

Also we are two days away from a complete closure of all rivers in Region 2 if the temperature doesnt drop. This may also spread to Region 3.
Hopefully DFO doesnt do this and at least keeps our hatchery supplemented rivers open. yes as i stated earlier,,,as long as water temps dont get to warm we should be good to go,,,,fingers crossed,,,,,next few days we dipping down into high 20s,,,,,maybe not enough or maybe it will be,,,,have to see what the tail end of Aug weather gonna bring us,,,calling for 26 degrees tomarrow

RyoTHC
08-17-2023, 09:08 PM
Looking back through my pictures on my phone, I’ve attempted chinook in the south thompson 7 different times in august over the last 3 years without a successful trip..

seems Sept 3 each year has been the start of productive fishing for me with the 7-12th being the bulk of my fish each year.

maybe I’ll hold off another week and a bit.. can’t see all this heat being productive for big fish.

browningboy
08-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Wouldn't the pinks just be beat to shit once they get up there? Shit they start going mongloid in the fraser?

walks with deer
08-18-2023, 08:45 PM
I would say yes i will head south way south.

B-rad
08-23-2023, 01:14 PM
woohoooo me and 2 buddies did damb good today,,,i caught 2 and buddies caught 1 each https://i.imgur.com/4VmjQOYl.jpg

Stew Pot
08-23-2023, 01:19 PM
Nice haul! Good work to you and your buddies.

B-rad
08-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Nice haul! Good work to you and your buddies.
was a blast,,,,lost 2 at shore,,but was fun

B-rad
08-31-2023, 07:06 PM
awesome we got the Pink opener,,,staring tomarrow Sept.1st

B-rad
08-31-2023, 07:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pOpLjR1l.png

B-rad
08-31-2023, 07:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kRprU1xl.png

B-rad
09-01-2023, 05:51 PM
took a whip at the Pinks today,,,,lots of chinook,,,quite few sockeye,,,and good handfull of Pinks where on the move today,,,only gonna get better,,,i only fished for 2 hours today,,,didnt land anything on this adventure today

Stew Pot
09-02-2023, 08:56 AM
Nice. I’m hoping to get out this month. Haven’t fished for salmon on the South Thompson before, but looking forward to it.

ryanonthevedder
09-02-2023, 10:25 AM
The jack fishery was excellent. Great fast fishing if you have a young one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6V-eo2hLM

B-rad
09-02-2023, 06:04 PM
The jack fishery was excellent. Great fast fishing if you have a young one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6V-eo2hLMthat looked like some fun right there,,

bottles
09-03-2023, 10:42 AM
The jack fishery was excellent. Great fast fishing if you have a young one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6V-eo2hLM

Nicely done. I had a bit of a slow start when went down a couple of days ago, but me and buddy got our limits and a couple big ones in the mix too.

ryanonthevedder
09-04-2023, 07:24 PM
Was out again yesterday with even more young fishers, and fishing was still pretty good. Having access to that kind of fishing helps my ptsd from targeting Chilliwack River red springs. Even got that elusive 49cm chinook.