PDA

View Full Version : Hunting snowshoe hare north of Kamloops around Bonaparte Lake (Thompson/Okanagan)

Andresdelnorteh
07-31-2023, 08:34 PM
I'll be camping around the Bonaparte Lake area mid August (maybe a little north of that) and I'm planning to bring the Ruger and shotgun for some target and trap shooting. It's open season on snowshoe hare and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are actually any in that area I might try and hunt since I'll have the guns. Any tips you might spare on how to get one of those little buggers would be greatly appreciated too!

MOOSE MILK
07-31-2023, 08:49 PM
Use a couple of lettuce leaves and rub them together, even crunch the leaves to call them into shooting distance, carrots work as well.
MM

B-rad
08-01-2023, 05:53 AM
there is hare all over the place,,,,,first 2 hours of light,,,,and last 1 hour of light,,,,just look for really thick cover,,,,not old growth forest,,,,they will be sitting on sides of old logging roads,,,,chomping on the clover on side of road,,,,,hunting hare is not same as huntin grouse,,,its all about the timing to bag a few,,,30-50 yard shots are the more common distance on them,,,good ole .22 does the job perfect

Andresdelnorteh
08-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Lol I'll be sure to also brush up on my Bugs Bunny cartoons so I know what not to do

walks with deer
08-16-2023, 08:44 PM
there is hare all over the place,,,,,first 2 hours of light,,,,and last 1 hour of light,,,,just look for really thick cover,,,,not old growth forest,,,,they will be sitting on sides of old logging roads,,,,chomping on the clover on side of road,,,,,hunting hare is not same as huntin grouse,,,its all about the timing to bag a few,,,30-50 yard shots are the more common distance on them,,,good ole .22 does the job perfect

Agreed and great burgers.