PDA

View Full Version : Elk Diaphragm replication reliability

TheObserver
07-28-2023, 05:11 PM
How do you guys find the replication between your most effective/favourite diaphragm calls, from call to call of the same brand/model?

I can use the Phelps calls, specifically the pink signature and green amp very proficiently. Got a couple back ups for the season, that I have started to break in. The main pink signature I have been using since Jan and is starting to break down, i'm finding one of the new ones not quite the same.

Do they differ slightly usually or do you find them all pretty well exact?

Hope the new ones becomes like the one that is getting worn out, I can make any elk sound with it lip bawl, challenge bugle, location, grunts, chuckles, raspy voice in it, cow, calf and everything in between and sounds really good

RackStar
07-28-2023, 05:16 PM
Usually takes a bit for the latex to stretch out, I’ve had same experience. I usually have them in my mouth on the car ride to work from now till opener,

good luck

Bugle M In
07-28-2023, 05:50 PM
Yup, you can have some that differ but then like previous post, some take a little breaking in.
But no, have never figured out a way to replicate.
But I used to examine the call before buying on double or triple latex, as I found the same type may differ with the length between the 2 or 3 layers.
Some had quite a difference in length and another reed didnt.
I preferred the ones with spacing in each layers length.
Maybe that’s what you are experiencing.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
07-29-2023, 07:25 PM
I have never wanted my calls to sound exactly the same time after time. Vary your call each time and it sounds like more than "one" elk--this may be a good or bad idea depending on the situation. I carry a few cow calls for this exact reason, but again one "lost" cow might be the answer in a particular situation. Way too many variables to nail one down. Sometimes using a turkey call and making noise will do wonders to get you into a shooting position.

jan.wi97
07-29-2023, 07:28 PM
I have never wanted my calls to sound exactly the same time after time. Vary your call each time and it sounds like more than "one" elk--this may be a good or bad idea depending on the situation. I carry a few cow calls for this exact reason, but again one "lost" cow might be the answer in a particular situation. Way too many variables to nail one down. Sometimes using a turkey call and making noise will do wonders to get you into a shooting position.

Heard this as well! Switch em up and don't get stuck on repeat for too long...

TheObserver
07-29-2023, 09:26 PM
Usually takes a bit for the latex to stretch out, I’ve had same experience. I usually have them in my mouth on the car ride to work from now till opener,

good luck

You as well

TheObserver
07-29-2023, 09:27 PM
Yup, you can have some that differ but then like previous post, some take a little breaking in.
But no, have never figured out a way to replicate.
But I used to examine the call before buying on double or triple latex, as I found the same type may differ with the length between the 2 or 3 layers.
Some had quite a difference in length and another reed didnt.
I preferred the ones with spacing in each layers length.
Maybe that’s what you are experiencing.

No the ones I use are all single reed, seems the only option for most calls now adays I find except for careltons, which I can not use

TheObserver
07-29-2023, 09:33 PM

Heard this as well! Switch em up and don't get stuck on repeat for too long...

I can make any Elk sound, anything, even barks with these two diaphragms, so I can do a huge array of calls and sounds, any sound that an Elk can make really, but with the one pink diaphragm in particular it is very easy for me to hit and keep and hold a high note for a location bugle (or any bugle I want to hit a really high note) for as long as I want.

I bought a couple back ups of the exact same pink one for the season and have started to break them in, but it don't seem to be quite the same so I was wondering if people who found a diaphragm that works really good for them, when they buy a new one of that exact same diaphragm if it sounds the same

HarryToolips
07-29-2023, 10:04 PM
I primarily use Primos diaphragms and most are consistent but there has been 1 in particular that has been much harder to break in than the last, for whatever reason...

TheObserver
07-29-2023, 10:08 PM
I primarily use Primos diaphragms and most are consistent but there has been 1 in particular that has been much harder to break in than the last, for whatever reason...

I think that is whats going on here, the one back up one is fine like identical, the other one seems to be coming around maybe now, slowly

How you like the primos? You ever tried the phelps?

HarryToolips
07-29-2023, 10:14 PM
I think that is whats going on here, the one back up one is fine like identical, the other one seems to be coming around maybe now, slowly

How you like the primos? You ever tried the phelps?
I definitely like the Primos more than the E&H, though technically I'm still breaking the E&H in, but the Primos seem to be good, I can mimic pretty much any call, they are what I've used the last couple seasons, though my lip-bawl bugle needs more critiquing...I haven't tried the Phelps, but sound like maybe I should? How long have you been practicing with them?

TheObserver
07-29-2023, 11:05 PM
I definitely like the Primos more than the E&H, though technically I'm still breaking the E&H in, but the Primos seem to be good, I can mimic pretty much any call, they are what I've used the last couple seasons, though my lip-bawl bugle needs more critiquing...I haven't tried the Phelps, but sound like maybe I should? How long have you been practicing with them?

Oh buddy, you gotta try the Phelps (I use the "pink signature" and the "green amp", others by them didn't work that well for me). Been practicing since Jan, at first thought I wasn't going to be able to bugle with diaphragms now I can make any Elk sound, all bugles, chuckles, grunts, raspy, lip bawl, barks, cow/calf you name it i'm actually quite impressed considering I thought I was going to be one of those guys that just couldn't figure out the diaphragms.

I used rocky mountain calls and wayne carletons but to me they don't even come close to the phelps. Whats E&H? Wanted to try the wapiti rivers (i think thats what their called) calls they are made in BC I think but didn't go to that outdoor show this year so didn't grab any

savage10
07-29-2023, 11:21 PM
Love the wapiti river calls. I’ve tried a few brands and they are by far my favourite. Also Travis is a great guy

Bugle M In
07-29-2023, 11:39 PM
The thing I like about Carleton’s is I find them very consistent.
Still my favourite.
But then again, I have been using them for decades, so I just am accustomed to them,
I find the others ones just to weak for me.
The 2.5 gives me a ton of different sounds and ranges.
And one of the first to come out with the dome until primos sued them, even though they hadn’t made them yet??
(primos that is).
Now the prices for a lot of the calls from some of the newer companies is getting ridiculous.
Honestly, they are over kill now.
Dont think most elk care if you sound better then them.
Just have to get them interested.
They ain’t there to listen and hand you a cheque at the end of the day.

TheObserver
07-30-2023, 01:09 AM
The thing I like about Carleton’s is I find them very consistent.
Still my favourite.
But then again, I have been using them for decades, so I just am accustomed to them,
I find the others ones just to weak for me.
The 2.5 gives me a ton of different sounds and ranges.
And one of the first to come out with the dome until primos sued them, even though they hadn’t made them yet??
(primos that is).
Now the prices for a lot of the calls from some of the newer companies is getting ridiculous.
Honestly, they are over kill now.
Dont think most elk care if you sound better then them.
Just have to get them interested.
They ain’t there to listen and hand you a cheque at the end of the day.

Yeah the prices are bad, just like everything in the hunting/shooting/archery industry. I don't see how the diaphragms can be over kill now as they haven't really changed in quite a while, still latex with tape and perhaps a dome depending on what brand and model. The sounds one makes out of them come down to the person using them and the diaphragm they have chosen.

I called in a Bull last year, my first one actually and first time hunting Elk, with a power bugle. He definitely thought I was a real Elk, busted me and just about ran me right over caught me off guard so fast. But now i've learnt to use diaphragms the sounds I can make are unlimited and sound 100 fold more authentic.

Thats all I care about, realism. From what I gather you need to give the Elk a reason to want to come to you, Elk most likely don't think along the lines of whether you sound better than them or not, on the other hand they can tell whether you sound more intimidating, if you are a threat, or that your ready to be bred.

TheObserver
07-30-2023, 01:10 AM
Love the wapiti river calls. I’ve tried a few brands and they are by far my favourite. Also Travis is a great guy

Do they got a website or store?

RackStar
07-30-2023, 08:14 AM
I think nechako sells them ^^^

I believe the guy also has a site , if not google Barton’s big country in grande prairie. Lots of guys up here use them being a local company. Never tried them yet myself.

savage10
07-30-2023, 09:24 AM
He has a website wapitiriveroutdoors.com

As rackstar mentioned, nechako also sells them.

HarryToolips
07-30-2023, 10:23 AM
Oh buddy, you gotta try the Phelps (I use the "pink signature" and the "green amp", others by them didn't work that well for me). Been practicing since Jan, at first thought I wasn't going to be able to bugle with diaphragms now I can make any Elk sound, all bugles, chuckles, grunts, raspy, lip bawl, barks, cow/calf you name it i'm actually quite impressed considering I thought I was going to be one of those guys that just couldn't figure out the diaphragms.

I used rocky mountain calls and wayne carletons but to me they don't even come close to the phelps. Whats E&H? Wanted to try the wapiti rivers (i think thats what their called) calls they are made in BC I think but didn't go to that outdoor show this year so didn't grab any

OK cool I'll look into the Phelps....

HarryToolips
07-30-2023, 07:37 PM
Yeah the prices are bad, just like everything in the hunting/shooting/archery industry. I don't see how the diaphragms can be over kill now as they haven't really changed in quite a while, still latex with tape and perhaps a dome depending on what brand and model. The sounds one makes out of them come down to the person using them and the diaphragm they have chosen.

I called in a Bull last year, my first one actually and first time hunting Elk, with a power bugle. He definitely thought I was a real Elk, busted me and just about ran me right over caught me off guard so fast. But now i've learnt to use diaphragms the sounds I can make are unlimited and sound 100 fold more authentic.

Thats all I care about, realism. From what I gather you need to give the Elk a reason to want to come to you, Elk most likely don't think along the lines of whether you sound better than them or not, on the other hand they can tell whether you sound more intimidating, if you are a threat, or that your ready to be bred.

Contrary to popular belief, the cow elk don't make a breeding sound, but the sounds of the bull she is with will indicate whether she is coming into estrous or not.. it's all about the pheromones and those are the scents the bull(s) is trying to pick up on..sorry to derail the thread a bit...

And edit from my earlier post: my new diaphragms that I'm using are made by company called ESH, they're ok, but definitely prefer the Primos...

Bugle M In
07-31-2023, 09:41 AM
I haven’t tried the Phelps, but always willing to try a new one, so thanks.
And Primos I would rank at the bottom of the list of ones tried.
They are thin and soft, maybe why beginners like them and widely available.

As for the power bugle, lots of elk have dropped with that call!
From a distance, it hits the mark really well.
In close is when you realize a mouth diaphragm is set apart.

For cow elk, those small handheld calls from Primos or bugling bull are great.
I don’t waste much time with a diaphragm for cow calling anymore.
I used y to o carry separate diaphragms for bull and cow.
Now it’s just one in the mouth and 2 hanging on the neck.