PDA

View Full Version : Moose When To Go

Arctic Lake
07-24-2023, 07:06 PM
I have the 7-25 thread going concerning our up coming LEH Shared Bull Hunt but I want to ask what the majority thinks about the dates I have to work with due to my hunting partners work
We have 2 choices .

I have called in and harvested 3 moose all around October 9 so…… I’m thinking #2 option but
what do you think ?

#1 September 28 to October 4

#2 October 12. to October 18

TheObserver
07-24-2023, 07:34 PM
I have the 7-25 thread going concerning our up coming LEH Shared Bull Hunt but I want to ask what the majority thinks about the dates I have to work with due to my hunting partners work
We have 2 choices .

I have called in and harvested 3 moose all around October 9 so…… I’m thinking #2 option but
what do you think ?

I would go sept 28th to oct 4th, but I would try to make my choice closer to see what the weather may be like.

Also full moon on the 29th, which will mean nothing with cloud cover but could be clear

northof49
07-24-2023, 07:51 PM
^^ x2. Also if no luck can always head back for round two. Only live once :wink:

MOOSE MILK
07-24-2023, 08:01 PM
I used to hunt 7-21 for the last week of September and the first week of October until the privileged few had MU 7 shut down. The last few years we found it to be too warm and we saw more action during the middle of October. My choice would be Oct 12 - 18.
MM

MOOSE MILK
07-24-2023, 08:04 PM
That's some good advice from northof49. LOL
MM

bcsteve
07-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Option #1 for sure. Better chance of hitting the rut.

Arctic Lake
07-24-2023, 08:24 PM
Thank You for the responses fellas ! You have me thinking about things !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
07-24-2023, 08:27 PM
This has me thinking but it’s a long haul for me back home then back up again . I’m thinking ……..
Arctic Lake
^^ x2. Also if no luck can always head back for round two. Only live once :wink:

HarryToolips
07-24-2023, 08:48 PM
I would go sept 28th to oct 4th, but I would try to make my choice closer to see what the weather may be like.

Also full moon on the 29th, which will mean nothing with cloud cover but could be clear

Yup me too, I see more bulls on the move around Sept25- the first week of Oct, though that's in general for the Southern interior, I wouldn't know if that's also optimal time in that region as well.. either way, I wish you all the best..

Arctic Lake
07-24-2023, 09:20 PM
Thanks Harry ! When I hunted near Bear Lake which is an hour north of P.G. did well around the October 9th date could call bulls right in .
Arctic Lake
Yup me too, I see more bulls on the move around Sept25- the first week of Oct, though that's in general for the Southern interior, I wouldn't know if that's also optimal time in that region as well.. either way, I wish you all the best..

canishunter22-250
07-25-2023, 02:26 AM
My experience has been that bulls are easier to call and more vocal during your #1 choice but you get them cruising the country more during the #2 time frame. I think they hit the road hard to try and clean up the remaining cows later on in the rut. So the best time might depend more on your hunting style.

moosinaround
07-25-2023, 05:44 AM
Last week of sept, first week of Oct, I've killed moose from sept 6- oct 24, so anytime in Sept-Oct is moose killin time!! But I usually always take last week of sept/first week of oct off from work, moose LEH, or not!! Moosin

RyoTHC
07-25-2023, 07:27 AM
This has me thinking but it’s a long haul for me back home then back up again . I’m thinking ……..
Arctic Lake

theb stay the whole time. Why apply for a leh across the province and stay 4 days? That’s what people commit to a weekend deer hunt and here you are with a coveted leh…by the time you drive you have just as much time as the folks hunting GOS.

RackStar
07-25-2023, 07:41 AM
#1.. easy choice but #2 still good. Heck just stay for the whole month

high horse Hal
07-25-2023, 08:41 AM
A L, why the time gap between the two weeks? personal commitments?
I'd be doing all possible to get at least 10-12 days in for a hunt instead of trying one week or another week

Arctic Lake
07-25-2023, 09:19 AM
Ryo. As mentioned above the weeks mentioned are my hunting partners available times off . He works a week on a week off . I’m driving up from the coast he is in Vanderhoof .
Arctic Lake
theb stay the whole time. Why apply for a leh across the province and stay 4 days? That’s what people commit to a weekend deer hunt and here you are with a coveted leh…by the time you drive you have just as much time as the folks hunting GOS.

Arctic Lake
07-25-2023, 09:23 AM
High Horse Hal The time slots mentioned are my hunting partners sets of days off . He works a week on a week off . He lives in Vanderhoof . We are taking his travel trailer into the bush . He may be able to get another 3 days tacked on to the two different weeks mentioned .
Arctic Lake
A L, why the time gap between the two weeks? personal commitments?
I'd be doing all possible to get at least 10-12 days in for a hunt instead of trying one week or another week

Ferenc
07-25-2023, 09:28 AM
The Sept into Oct time is what I would do , you gotta work on getting some more time ... : )
The bulls are definitely going to be a lot more active cruising around. Should have some frosty mornings as well .. and as last year be ready for any weather changes .

srupp
07-25-2023, 11:12 AM
in the oct 1- 14 here in the Cariboo....cant count oct 1 opening morning with moose on the ground....
Steven

whitespringer
07-25-2023, 12:50 PM
Last time in 7 we got ours Sept 29 and Oct 2 with lots of action. We are leaving for 7 on Friday the 29th. Me 2 cents…

wallz
07-27-2023, 08:27 AM
My thoughts.

Go the first week, and as he goes to work, stay a few more days without him. Make the best of your LEH draw. He can come out in the evening if you need a hand to pack one up after work. If need be take a second trip into Vanderhoof to drop off his travel trailer.

Shots lots of bulls last week of Sept, as that is the draw we usually get. Mid Aug to end of Sept.

Bustercluck
07-27-2023, 09:12 AM
I would definitely opt for the earlier option. I find they’re moving around more earlier before theyve rounded up some cows.

Aren’t you retired? I’d find another hunting partner and stay for as long as I could, even if I shot a moose. Lol.

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 09:36 AM
Bustercluck . Yes retired but do have some obligations to others and with family / better half etc.
My hunting partner for moose has been a friend for over 20 years and we always plan an LEH for moose .I’m going to see if I can plan a longer stay .
Arctic Lake

I would definitely opt for the earlier option. I find they’re moving around more earlier before theyve rounded up some cows.

Aren’t you retired? I’d find another hunting partner and stay for as long as I could, even if I shot a moose. Lol.

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 09:44 AM
Wallz . The dates I have mentioned are his sets of days off . He works a camp job week in week out . His travel trailer tgat we take in on the week we pick . Not sure hmmm . Maybe I could stay additional time with the trailer while he goes back to camp if we don’t get a bull . Hmmm …. But then I’m solo hunting moose .I’m in not too bad a shape but for 3 years shy of 70 . LOL but…. Also I don’t think I could call for help with a moose down probably no cell coverage in the bush .
Arctic Lake
My thoughts.

Go the first week, and as he goes to work, stay a few more days without him. Make the best of your LEH draw. He can come out in the evening if you need a hand to pack one up after work. If need be take a second trip into Vanderhoof to drop off his travel trailer.

Shots lots of bulls last week of Sept, as that is the draw we usually get. Mid Aug to end of Sept.

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 09:50 AM
Thanks fellas for all the replies and thoughts on how to get this done !
Seems like the consensus is to be in the bush September 28 to October 4 from the replies .
As mentioned it can be a long time between getting an LEH draw so we don’t want to blow it !
Hmmmm
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 09:54 AM
I need to reread the Shared LEH rules ! Can I hunt alone without my shared hunt partner ? Meaning by myself ?
Arctic Lake

Darksith
07-27-2023, 10:15 AM
We have 2 choices .

what do you think ?

definitely #1

Even then you are a bit late. The big bulls will be pretty close to cowed up. Pre rutt is really when you will get the most action for calling in moose. They are moving and not stuck to a cow yet. You will still call in and get answers during the rut, but its hard to get them to leave their cows.
Sept 20-Oct 5 is the ideal time to hunt moose, it is a bit later the more south you go. Kamloops is Oct 1 basically give or take a day. Ive never had a draw for moose in and around Kamloops that I wasn't tagged out by Oct 4...

Darksith
07-27-2023, 10:15 AM
I need to reread the Shared LEH rules ! Can I hunt alone without my shared hunt partner ? Meaning by myself ?
Arctic Lake

yes you can. you can only shoot 1 animal

RackStar
07-27-2023, 10:57 AM
I’m sure there’s some good ol PG boys on here that would be willing to help you pack a bull out if solo!

Bustercluck
07-27-2023, 11:23 AM
definitely #1

Even then you are a bit late. The big bulls will be pretty close to cowed up. Pre rutt is really when you will get the most action for calling in moose. They are moving and not stuck to a cow yet. You will still call in and get answers during the rut, but its hard to get them to leave their cows.
Sept 20-Oct 5 is the ideal time to hunt moose, it is a bit later the more south you go. Kamloops is Oct 1 basically give or take a day. Ive never had a draw for moose in and around Kamloops that I wasn't tagged out by Oct 4...
Last year I ran into a bull that was sitting on cows and he had two other bulls pestering him for days. I was in the middle of them up on a hill, but none of them were interested in me as the real thing was close by.

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 07:35 PM
Thank You for your reply Darksith !
It’s settled we will go the weekend my buddy has off Option #1 . September 28 to October 4 th . He is going to see if he can gat a few more days off as well . Fingers crossed and toes as well !

As mentioned before I had good luck calling in Bulls October 9th when I hunted 1 hour North of P.G. but that was years ago .
Arctic Lake
ca
definitely #1

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 07:36 PM
Thank You ! Yes I know we can only take the one ,that’s all we need as well !
yes you can. you can only shoot 1 animal

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 07:39 PM
Hopefully I won’t be in that position and it would be a lot to ask for a fella to drive from P.G. to 7-25 for help , I would be broke paying them back for the favour !
Arctic Lake
I’m sure there’s some good ol PG boys on here that would be willing to help you pack a bull out if solo!

northof49
07-27-2023, 09:06 PM
Hopefully I won’t be in that position and it would be a lot to ask for a fella to drive from P.G. to 7-25 for help , I would be broke paying them back for the favour !
Arctic Lake.
Just the kind of “emergency” one leverages to escape domestic chores!!

Arctic Lake
07-27-2023, 09:15 PM
LOL ,Man that’s a good one !
Arctic Lake
Just the kind of “emergency” one leverages to escape domestic chores!!

Evanguy
07-28-2023, 11:13 AM

This was my thought.

wallz
07-28-2023, 01:15 PM
Also I don’t think I could call for help with a moose down probably no cell coverage in the bush .
Arctic Lake

And that is why you have a zoleo, or such communication device. Set up some contacts for help if you end up being alone and have a bull down.

Or just take your time, don't over exert yourself and do the gutless method for processing it down. Have a few small snatch blocks to fit 1/4" rope, and a bunch of paracord and you should be golden to roll one if need be. Even if you hang the quarters at the nearest tree where you are at and come back later for it.

Arctic Lake
07-28-2023, 02:20 PM
Good advice Wallz !
Arctic Lake
And that is why you have a zoleo, or such communication device. Set up some contacts for help if you end up being alone and have a bull down.

Or just take your time, don't over exert yourself and do the gutless method for processing it down. Have a few small snatch blocks to fit 1/4" rope, and a bunch of paracord and you should be golden to roll one if need be. Even if you hang the quarters at the nearest tree where you are at and come back later for it.

Arctic Lake
07-28-2023, 06:54 PM
Great news today for my hunting partner September 28 to October 4 is a go ,plus additional days off .
So hopefully the moose will be there and we can be successful !
Thank You to all again for your replies !
Going to start another thread concerning the hunt about the weather .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Seem to have accumulates to much of that useless yellow plastic rope . What is good working rope made of ?
Climbing rope the best for snatch block usage ? What about rope that I might use for a future Honda Pota Power Winch ?
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-01-2023, 08:21 AM
I think I have 3 separate threads pertaining to the upcoming 7-25 hunt so may have posted this before .
Seems there’s a wildfire burning in 7-25 above Ocock Lake . Wonder how far moose will travel to get out of the fires way ?
Arctic Lake

spaghetti
08-03-2023, 10:18 PM
Without question go the week before Thanksgiving. If you can do a decent cow call, it’s your best shot. If you are a road warrior, later is better. Peak rut is sept 28-Oct 5, regardless of weather. But if the first week of October is cold then it’s like happy hour for a week!

Arctic Lake
08-04-2023, 08:11 AM
My hunting partner secured his days off now . We have September 28 to October 18
Arctic Lake
Without question go the week before Thanksgiving. If you can do a decent cow call, it’s your best shot. If you are a road warrior, later is better. Peak rut is sept 28-Oct 5, regardless of weather. But if the first week of October is cold then it’s like happy hour for a week!

HappyJack
08-05-2023, 06:12 AM
Wow, nice long hunt you have planned there!!