PDA

View Full Version : Hunting South Okanagan Grasslands Protected Area?

Wildfoot
12-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone from the S. Okanagan could help me out.

I understand hunting in the protected areas is ok. All the land seperating the parts of the PA are private land correct? Can that land be hunted also? If I need permission for the private land.. does anyone know who is the landowner, or how I would find that info?

I am specifically interested in the Kilpoola - Blue lake area. There are a few lakes just west of Blue lake that looked like a nice hike for tomorrow.. but they are outside the PA

Wildfoot
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
no one knows anything of this area? I saw many big mulies in there this summer while fishing kilpoola. If any of you can help me determine where and what is crown and park land .. please help.

ruger#1
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Wild are there still fish in kilpoola, i was told that the lake has had winter kill. I know there used to be lots of fish there.

Wildfoot
12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
TONS of fish! big ones too! Haha the lake seriously looks like a mud hole. Very unimpressive. It gets winterkilled (or summerkilled) almost every year, but it is stocked. My friend and I went up there quite a few times this summer and managed to get some nice 3-5lb trout. I ate them and they were good tasting.. but not the best rainbow. But that can be expected when they essentially live and eat cow poo and pee.

Also the hills around there are great for hiking. Probably my favorite place in this S&*%T hole they call Osoyoos. Its a 1 hour walk from my house to the lake heading west over the hills. I did the hike a few times until i got too spooked by rattlers haha.

boxhitch
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
does anyone know who is the landowner, or how I would find that info? Looks like you will have a better chance getting info from the Regional District Office. There, you know the facts are straight.
Good luck, but I bet you aren't the first to try for the privilage.

Sharkey
12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree - Regional District would have that info. They may be hesitant to give out the contact information though due to the Privacy Act. Worth a shot though.

Wildfoot
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
well how is a hunter supposed to find out who owns what land if its not even readily available information!!! This has to be the most annoying and hardest part about hunting! Will contact regional district tomorrow. I guess tomorrow morning i will hope that the deer cross an imaginary boundary into the park so i can hunt them!

ruger#1
12-09-2007, 08:08 PM
that is a very nice area ive been there a couple times fishing. Next time im in oliver maybe we can get together for coffee for a bs session. might be up easter weekend for the parade.

Wildfoot
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
that is a very nice area ive been there a couple times fishing. Next time im in oliver maybe we can get together for coffee for a bs session. might be up easter weekend for the parade.

Movin to Salmon Arm January 1st. But feel free to come visit up there lol.

KevinB
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
[quote=Wildfoot;217126]well how is a hunter supposed to find out who owns what land if its not even readily available information!!! quote]

The same way anyone else has to...by going to the land titles office and doing a request for each parcel (I think ther is a fee for each request IIRC). Otherwise start knocking on doors well ahead of time. Most major landowners in an area know who each other are and know who owns what. The day before you want to hunt is a little late...:wink:

As far as just finding out the general status of a piece of land (ie. crown, private, lease, etc) and its legal parcel identifier, etc, go here and click on the "Integrated Land Resources Registry" link. There is a decent little web map to get you going.
http://www.nric.ca/

good luck next year!

ruger#1
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Was talking to a guy last Sunday who is in court right now because he drove his truck past a restricted area.He is fighting it but it does not look too good.You can walk in the grassland area but not drive.He was on a road when he got his ticket.The guy gave it to him right on the spot.he was near Kilpola lake.
this is from my father.

David Heitsman
12-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I can't find this Kilpoa Lake but is it south of the highway and east of Nighthawk? If so the owner of the Elkink Ranch would be able to advise you as to what is deeded or crown land or park. There actually is a section that is going "park" right in the middle of his deeded areas to the west of the Kobau Mtn Rd.

Wildfoot
12-12-2007, 03:24 AM
thanks David. Thats the one! I will be callin him up to figure things out if I head back around there next year.

ruger#1
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
the lake is closer to ricter pass.