PDA

View Full Version : Best spot for combined Elk and Goat hunt in region 4?

KootenayKiller
07-22-2023, 11:00 PM
Hey there,

I'm hoping to target both elk and goat in region 4 this year. I wasn't lucky enough to draw a goat tag, so I'm thinking of going to one of the MUs where goats are GOS (4-28,-29,-30,-37,-39 or -40). If anybody has advice on where I would have the best luck at finding both species, I'd really appreciate it. I'm in great shape, a mountaineer/climber outside of hunting, and willing to bushwhack/hike massive distances and elevation gain to get the job done. Feel free to PM me if you have any experience in these areas and willing to share!

Cheers,

KK.

northof49
07-23-2023, 06:59 AM
No advice on where to go but I would pick one and focus on that. If goat is the itch, focus on that first until you cut the tag, then switch to elk at locations where the pack out is shorter / easier. To me they are completely separate hunts unless going in with horses for extended hunt. That said I haven’t hunted those areas, so maybe its doable.

mike31154
07-23-2023, 09:59 AM
Spotted goats years ago while on a backcountry ski touring trip south end of the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Park, 4-20. Elk crossing the highway near Canal Flats on the way to Kimberley for the ski trip but a different year than the goats. Goats were up high, over 2,000 meters on a craggy, cliffy peak. Definitely 2 completely different hunts with respect to terrain & elevation.

February 2012, we were climbing to a col below the peak of Mt. Lindsey. The goats were on a lesser nearby peak. They had noted us coming as there were tracks in the snow below the cliff.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2144959&authkey=%21AG6mnHoUyJk0fKc&width=1024&height=999999

zoom shot
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2144960&authkey=%21AAwDBBfeEJC_-SY&width=1024&height=999999

GPS track of our trip that day. From Boulder Hut down to Berglein Lake, then up to Mt. Lindsey & back.
https://s2s-api.onedrive.com/v1.0/shares/s!AnSUkGQbfhWgihIjTkBXz4kW1MQU/root/thumbnails/0/large/content?width=1024&height=999999

Bado20
07-23-2023, 10:14 AM
I was looking at going for goats in one of those areas, I’ll be new to the kootenays this year but not to goat hunting. PM me if you’re looking for a potential hunting buddy. I’m in good shape and don’t mind bushwhacking, I wouldn’t call myself a climber but my goat hunting/scouting does fairly routinely involve proper mountaineering crampons/ice axe so take that for what you will.

KootenayKiller
07-23-2023, 10:45 AM
Spotted goats years ago while on a backcountry ski touring trip south end of the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Park, 4-20. Elk crossing the highway near Canal Flats on the way to Kimberley for the ski trip but a different year than the goats. Goats were up high, over 2,000 meters on a craggy, cliffy peak. Definitely 2 completely different hunts with respect to terrain & elevation.

February 2012, we were climbing to a col below the peak of Mt. Lindsey. The goats were on a lesser nearby peak. They had noted us coming as there were tracks in the snow below the cliff.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2144959&authkey=%21AG6mnHoUyJk0fKc&width=1024&height=999999

zoom shot
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2144960&authkey=%21AAwDBBfeEJC_-SY&width=1024&height=999999

GPS track of our trip that day. From Boulder Hut down to Berglein Lake, then up to Mt. Lindsey & back.
https://s2s-api.onedrive.com/v1.0/shares/s!AnSUkGQbfhWgihIjTkBXz4kW1MQU/root/thumbnails/0/large/content?width=1024&height=999999

There is a healthy population in 4-20, I applied for an LEH tag there but was unsuccessful. Thanks for the info, good to know! I frequent the area often for fishing and hiking, and know of a salt lick close to the road where I have seen 10+ goats on numerous occasions this season alone. Nice to see a lot of healthy kids among them!! Surprised to hear Berglien Lake come up in conversation, I've been mulling a bushwhack up there to see if there's decent (or any) fishing to be had in it.

Everett
07-23-2023, 05:38 PM
There is a healthy population in 4-20, I applied for an LEH tag there but was unsuccessful. Thanks for the info, good to know! I frequent the area often for fishing and hiking, and know of a salt lick close to the road where I have seen 10+ goats on numerous occasions this season alone. Nice to see a lot of healthy kids among them!! Surprised to hear Berglien Lake come up in conversation, I've been mulling a bushwhack up there to see if there's decent (or any) fishing to be had in it.

Lots of goats in 4-20 though you wouldn't know it from the amount of tags available this year. Luckily I have one of those tags this year. Probably my last goat hunt so pretty excited.
To answer the OP you sometimes do see goats and elk in the same bowls but I wouldn't plan a hunt around it.

mike31154
07-23-2023, 10:00 PM

I highly doubt Berglien holds any fish. It pretty much drains dry during the winter as the water continues to flow under the ice. I went up to Boulder Hut for a work week in January 2013 & instead of flying in we toured up from a hunter's cabin at the end of the St. Mary's FSR. After a bit of a climb you get to Ptarmigan Hut which is the original backcountry ski touring cabin before they built Boulder Hut much higher up. We stayed overnight at Ptarmigan & headed up to Boulder the next day which meant crossing Berglien Lake on the way. Here's a photo with Boulder Hut owner & guide Mark pointing the way. You should be able to tell how the ice has collapsed to ground in places as the water drained away. With no snow melt run off there's not enough flow to keep the lake full. Mark also mentioned that he had found a goat hide hanging near the shore wrapped in barb wire. A biologist had placed it there in hopes of snagging some wolverine fur to study.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2140296&authkey=%21AOYO7if9dlhX9TY&width=1024&height=999999

warnniklz
07-23-2023, 10:36 PM
I hope you plan a doubler. And I hope you come back and tell us the story of putting the effort in. Because that would be awesome.

To quote Terry and Deaner "just giver"

KootenayKiller
07-25-2023, 09:11 PM
I highly doubt Berglien holds any fish. It pretty much drains dry during the winter as the water continues to flow under the ice. I went up to Boulder Hut for a work week in January 2013 & instead of flying in we toured up from a hunter's cabin at the end of the St. Mary's FSR. After a bit of a climb you get to Ptarmigan Hut which is the original backcountry ski touring cabin before they built Boulder Hut much higher up. We stayed overnight at Ptarmigan & headed up to Boulder the next day which meant crossing Berglien Lake on the way. Here's a photo with Boulder Hut owner & guide Mark pointing the way. You should be able to tell how the ice has collapsed to ground in places as the water drained away. With no snow melt run off there's not enough flow to keep the lake full. Mark also mentioned that he had found a goat hide hanging near the shore wrapped in barb wire. A biologist had placed it there in hopes of snagging some wolverine fur to study.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2140296&authkey=%21AOYO7if9dlhX9TY&width=1024&height=999999
Interesting... I heard rumors of old miners saying there were big trout up in there, but may be just that. I wonder how deep the lake is, and if it actually drains empty.

I'll be sure to let you all know how the season goes :lol: