PDA

View Full Version : MU-6-17 and ^-18

chuckerb
07-22-2023, 01:41 PM
Hi all fellow hunters,looking for some info on these mu areas,never hunted this far from the Island but at age 71 I would like to try and fill my freezer one more time . I have helped lots of fellow hunters that have got the elk draw on the island and pointed them in the right direction and I am asking for some info on these mu areas as to are there roads to them or is good for quads to get you out there? and is there some fishing spots as I will have a small boat with me also. Not looking for your honey hole spots just trying to figure out what to expect in these mu,s I am a slow walk hunter and like glassing as my age has slowed me down. So any info as to were to go up in these areas would be well appreciated. Thanks to all and good luck to ya. Chuck B.Info on any place that is open would be great.

hawk-i
07-22-2023, 05:17 PM
There is not much road access to 6-17 and the road access areas get hunted hard.
Berry pickers galore in Aug. and Sept....lots of wolves (wolf came right in to camp mid day last year, grandson age 8 thought it was a German Shepard) and G-bears, normally we see more Grizzly than moose.
Moose populations are down for sure in the last 5 or so years, hunting has been slow.

6-18 I can't really comment on as I haven't been in that area for the last 20 years but my guess is, its probably pretty much the same.

.330 Dakota
07-22-2023, 09:42 PM
6-18, been up there, but about 10 years ago,,rough rd when I was there but take your time and its fine,,take LOTS of fuel as the last time I was there Takla Landing had none..

Bado20
07-23-2023, 10:24 AM
Was up in 6-17 this year, had a very similar experience to hawke-i. Lots of grizzlies and wolves, not many moose. The road accessible areas got hit hard.

S.W.A.T.
07-25-2023, 05:05 AM
Pick a lake and book a flight is your best bet. Gets you off the roads and into many area's most can't go. I have mentioned this in many threads on this same area, this is not a fiddle around and find out place. Very remote, rough terrain, limited access points, high number of predator to game ratio. That being said it some of the most beautiful country.

PM me your phone number and I can point you in the right direction.

chuckerb
07-25-2023, 08:35 PM
Thanks S.W.A.T ,I will pass on mu 17 and 18. I was charged by a grizzly 9 years ago and shot at the ground at 20 yards and he keeped comin and ran right by me and that has put a scare in me that I can not shake , I black bear and cougar hunted for 9 years on the Island and helped with bears and cougars that were to close to people and it never bothered me to kick them if they got my dogs. thanks again.

JAGRMEISTER
07-26-2023, 09:29 AM
uNLIKE swat, I RECCOMEND SAVING YOUR MONEY AND HUNT THE OBVIOUS PLACE! WITHIN SIGHT OG THE HIGHWAY! TOO MANY PEOPLE DRIVE PAST THEM THINKING OTHERS HAVE ALREADY SHOT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!
gUIDED FOR 10M YRS IN # 6 AND IT IS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FIND WITHIN 1/2 KM OF HWY!