PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent recommendations

Rotorwash
07-18-2023, 05:00 PM
I have a cabelas 12x12 alaknak tent that is showing its age. What is a good option to replace it with?

Ease of setup alone is important

Thanks

SMH1990
07-18-2023, 05:28 PM
Check out white duck outdoors bell tents and wall tents. Don’t own one yet but have done a ton of research into my own future purchase and got directed to the white duck bell tents and wall tents .

Ron.C
07-18-2023, 05:53 PM
I also looked at the Bell Tents but because of set up time and packed size (no frame needed) but ended up going with the wall tent because I wanted the sidewall height and find the rectangle shape of wall tents more efficent use of space and I like the floorless style.

Wall tents are not difficult to set up alone. I could do my 10x12, tarped stove installed and fire going in about 45 minutes.

If you found the 12x12 alaknak to be more than roomy for your use, a 10x12 wall tent should work.

If you found the 12x12 alaknak to be a perfect size, I'd say go with a 12x14 wall tent

If you ever felt tight in the 12x12 alaknak or want room to grow then a 14x16 wall tent

I've owned a couple wall tents now Deluxe and Polar Bear brands (highly recommend Polar Bear) but have happy with both.

Also looked at big tipi's like tipitent (Cdn Product to boot) but these do not seem to breath well and are not great in snow compared to a wall tent

another option is a spike tent (check out Canvas Tent Shop). Somewhat of a hybrid between a wall tent and bell tent

Muledeercrazy2
07-18-2023, 06:00 PM
I have a 12x14’ canvas tent, tent and frame from deluxe. Good quality but i doubt i would buy from them again. I also have a canvas bell tent i like way better. One person set up in 20 minutes, stove jack, lots of room for 3 cots

Arctic Lake
07-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Hmmm Care to share ! You say good quality but not sure you would buy from them again . Why ? I’m not affiliated with them !
Arcic Lake
I have a 12x14’ canvas tent, tent and frame from deluxe. Good quality but i doubt i would buy from them again. I also have a canvas bell tent i like way better. One person set up in 20 minutes, stove jack, lots of room for 3 cots

Bustercluck
07-18-2023, 09:23 PM
I like teepees. I have a big luxe teepee that works well, but quality and customer service is an issue. It has a vent on both sides that keep some air flow through them so they dont sweat.

A friend of mine just picked up the big seek outside teepee with the half nest. It’s expensive but really nice.

I find the alaknak doesn’t have a lot of usable space. It’s a 3 man tent with cots. If only it was a bit bigger you could fit way more.

People seem to like the walls of the alaknak, but the footprint with the guy lines is probably the same as a teepee, but the teepee has more usable space. If you think about laying your head at the centre pole of a 14’ teepee, you should have enough room to sleep lengthways towards the wall. I can fit my family of five, one dog on the floor, another dog in a kennel and my wood stove in my luxe and still have room for my gear. Teepee is way lighter and easier to setup as well. The one thing I like about the alaknak is the sealed floor to keep the bugs out.

downydad
07-19-2023, 03:20 AM
Choosing the right tent size and style can greatly enhance your camping experience, and it seems you have narrowed down your preferences.

Based on your previous experience with the 12x12 Alaknak, here's a summary of recommendations:

If you found the 12x12 Alaknak to be more than roomy for your use, a 10x12 wall tent should work well for you. The wall tent's rectangle shape and sidewall height can efficiently use space, and the floorless style is to your liking.

If you found the 12x12 Alaknak to be a perfect size, upgrading to a 12x14 wall tent should provide a little extra space without being too overwhelming.

If you ever felt tight in the 12x12 Alaknak or want more room for growth, a 14x16 wall tent would be a spacious option.

It's great to hear that you've had positive experiences with Deluxe and Polar Bear brands. Polar Bear, in particular, seems to be a brand you highly recommend.

You've also considered big tipis like TipiTent, but you have concerns about their breathability and performance in the snow compared to a wall tent. If those factors are important to you, sticking with the wall tent seems like a good choice.

Lastly, you mentioned the option of a spike tent, which is a hybrid between a wall tent and bell tent. These tents can offer unique features, so if you're interested in exploring something different, checking out products from the Canvas Tent Shop could be worthwhile.

Overall, your choice will depend on your specific needs, camping preferences, and the type of camping you plan to do. Happy camping, and I hope you find the perfect tent that suits your requirements!

combine pilot
07-19-2023, 05:42 AM
Check out Beckel tents. We have been using the 14x14 TT for several years on fly-ins. 35lbs. Stove hole. Works awesome.

Rotorwash
07-21-2023, 12:15 AM
Thank you for the input. I looked hard at wall tents but have come to the conclusion that with me and my kid, and sometimes a hunting partner, theyvmight be too much work to setup and moving every other day.

I am starting to lean towards a canvas cabin style tent like a springbar. Or maybe a dome tent like the white duck.

asherriff
07-21-2023, 08:11 PM
These tents are awesome...

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Arctic-Oven-Framed-Tents-s/2026.htm

MichelD
07-22-2023, 03:07 PM
I was pretty pleased to pickup a vintage but VG condition canvas Jones Tent and Awning 10x12 wall tent for $60.00 last year.

Rotorwash
07-23-2023, 11:58 AM
I had no idea alaska airframes made tents. Pretty cool

eric
07-24-2023, 11:03 AM
After close to 20 yrs with a Kifaru 16 man Tipi tent, and dealing with the condensation issues. My next tent will be the Arctic Oven one.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2023, 12:39 PM
Check out Beckel tents. We have been using the 14x14 TT for several years on fly-ins. 35lbs. Stove hole. Works awesome.

Yep, Beckel Canvas tents all the way. The 14 x 14 Eena, has been great to me for over 20 years. Setup in 10 minutes, alone, handles wind and snow load, lots of room for 3-4 guys, light weight too.

1S1K
07-31-2023, 11:05 PM
Arctic oven all the way

Marc
08-01-2023, 07:53 AM
I have two Deluxe Wall tents, one is over 20 years old and I believe and the other i got in 2018. Both are still in amazing shape works great. Deluxe Wall tents has also been a sponsor of the site for over 20 years!!! You want to support local and a sponsor of the site then look no further. They produce quality tents with quality materials.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Moose_Camp_2018_resized.jpg