PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and experiences on solo elk in thick timber

SMH1990
07-18-2023, 02:15 PM
Looking for basis of experience not just theories. Preferred solo elk method in thick northern timber. Decoy with attractants and calls vs still hunting slow with calls vs any other ideas you may have tried for solo rifle?

bwhnter
07-18-2023, 03:04 PM
Depends what decoy you are using and how you want to use it. If you are setting up and trying to call a bull in to a lick or opening a decoy may help. If you are still hunting and working timber a decoy can be more of a hindrance. Most of the time an animal spots movement that isn't normal to them. Setting up a decoy or trying to maneuver one through the trees may add too much movement.

bwhnter
07-18-2023, 03:06 PM
It also might buy you enough time to get a quick shot off but in my experience that has not been the case for me.

SMH1990
07-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info bwhnter, I should be more clear and say that a decoy would only be for a setup and call in method with scents vs forget the decoy and just stick to still hunting and cow calling etc. I seem to have the most encounters still hunting and calling but have never tried a decoy. Was wondering if it would add an edge and eliminate the 70 yard hang up on calls or just be a PITA overall having the extra bulk in the tight timber of a decoy strapped to the back. I appreciate the experienced opinions , the season isn’t far away now .

Ron.C
07-18-2023, 06:22 PM
I've shot a few solo elk. All in timbered area's (except the Rosie in my Avatar). Have used a decoy numerous times and a couple time has IMO resulted in an elk down.

I have an older renzos decoy. Can be a pain to carry around and one more thing to worry about when you want to move quick but when they work, they work very well. I like to use mine when setting up on water or wallow and soft cow calling on occasion hoping to bring in a bull.

SMH1990
07-19-2023, 02:00 PM
Thank you for all of your first hand experiences and knowledge . Looks like it may be time to invest in a decoy. Any brand recommendations?

J_T
07-19-2023, 03:05 PM
As the classic line goes, you hunt elk, where you find them. 'Run and Gun' is obviously the most fun. It isn't really, quiet stalking.

I carry a folding, "Ultimate Predator Stalker Elk Decoy" It folds up to a 12 inch round. Unfolds and mounts to the bow, with a shooting window. If you are chasing elk, you will get close and that elk will expect to see an elk. If they don't, they will bark and split. So for moments when I'm getting close, I pull out the decoy and quickly mount it to the bow. I'm hidden, with a view and can advance forward.

MRP
07-19-2023, 03:55 PM
I'm sure you will get a bunch of good ideas here but the turm thick timber is like the old days when they would say as thick as a phone book. Both terms are relative as to where you live. I've watched several videos termed thick timber or equivalent for hunting moose and Elk. I thought it was a joke you can see a hundred and in some places 2 to 300 yards. A real long shot in the timber around here and probably the coast and the island is 50 feet but probably 25 and under in less your on a good trail or old road. Moose and Elk are never where you won't them to be but try to cut slight lines when ever possible as soon as possible. Good trails cut long in advance works, every trail I've cut in lakes or meadows in no time become well used game trails especially in heavy blow-down areas. They're no different than we are and prefer to take the path of least resistance.

SMH1990
07-21-2023, 11:47 AM
Appreciate everyone for sharing experiences and the opinions based on such. I will use every bit of this information this fall. Thanks all.

Jrax
07-22-2023, 07:25 AM
For thick timber solo elk my unsuccessful tactic has been to get a location on a bull, keep him bugling until you are about 200m away then still hunt toward him or if you find his bedroom, a couple stalks into the bedroom around bedding time or just before (no calling). ~8 am to 11 am.

I have been very close several times but havent killed one that method yet in thick timber. Shooting lanes, wind shift or a mis-step caused problems.

HarryToolips
07-22-2023, 08:02 AM
For thick timber solo elk my unsuccessful tactic has been to get a location on a bull, keep him bugling until you are about 200m away then still hunt toward him or if you find his bedroom, a couple stalks into the bedroom around bedding time or just before (no calling). ~8 am to 11 am.

I have been very close several times but havent killed one that method yet in thick timber. Shooting lanes, wind shift or a mis-step caused problems.

From my research (not experience in this particular situation), if the bull has given you a roundup or even a mild lip-bawl bugle to invite you over, have you tried cow calling to him? Just merely curious if you've tried this tactic is all, I know you've killed more elk than I have.. I look at a situation last year where my partner and I were on the herd bull but could not get close enough in dwindling light conditions, and this is one of the tactics I look back on that we should have used..

HappyJack
07-23-2023, 06:45 AM
From my research (not experience in this particular situation), if the bull has given you a roundup or even a mild lip-bawl bugle to invite you over, have you tried cow calling to him? Just merely curious if you've tried this tactic is all, I know you've killed more elk than I have.. I look at a situation last year where my partner and I were on the herd bull but could not get close enough in dwindling light conditions, and this is one of the tactics I look back on that we should have used..

I've cow called while getting closer, a lot of times, and my approach only worked a couple of times. It seemed like they either spotted me moving or caught my scent and then took off. I've set up decoys and hung over them in a climber stand but never had an elk approach, one good thing about stands is that when predators come to your calls you aren't on the ground with them.

Jrax
07-23-2023, 07:01 AM
Yes i have tried cow calling, maybe i wasnt close enough or maybe my call was off, or there was a satellite bull somewhere and he had a few cows he just wouldnt leave his position. If i could go back i would have tried cow calling, i think the reason i didnt at certain times was not to give away my position because without a partner they seem to hang up just a few meters out of a shooting lane or just circle and wind you. Its tough to know which is right and what will pan out.

I can say almost certainly i have been bugled to come on over which i think that time they were starting to move so i joined but couldnt catch them, they are fast but they were not spooked. I have tried the challenge bugle a few times in close when i know for sure the herd bull had cows and he just immediatly rounded up and left, on these occasions i know my call was good but the bull did not want to fight. Close for me is ~50m - 75m but still no shooting lane and cows milling or bedded or satellite bull roaming, i felt the challenge was a good decision at the time.

The hardest part in all this is to maintain confidence in your calling when you have messed up a couple encounters in a row. Learn from individual bulls, each bull is different how they react. I just try my best and try not get discouraged. Then there are those times it doesnt matter what you do, they just come in raging mad or horned up... hopefully its at least a 6x5!

HarryToolips
07-23-2023, 12:07 PM
I've cow called while getting closer, a lot of times, and my approach only worked a couple of times. It seemed like they either spotted me moving or caught my scent and then took off. I've set up decoys and hung over them in a climber stand but never had an elk approach, one good thing about stands is that when predators come to your calls you aren't on the ground with them.

Interesting, for preds coming in mostly bears, or wolves and cats too? I tried elk calling from 200 yards away from 2 griz we were watching last year and they didn't do anything..

HarryToolips
07-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Yes i have tried cow calling, maybe i wasnt close enough or maybe my call was off, or there was a satellite bull somewhere and he had a few cows he just wouldnt leave his position. If i could go back i would have tried cow calling, i think the reason i didnt at certain times was not to give away my position because without a partner they seem to hang up just a few meters out of a shooting lane or just circle and wind you. Its tough to know which is right and what will pan out.

I can say almost certainly i have been bugled to come on over which i think that time they were starting to move so i joined but couldnt catch them, they are fast but they were not spooked. I have tried the challenge bugle a few times in close when i know for sure the herd bull had cows and he just immediatly rounded up and left, on these occasions i know my call was good but the bull did not want to fight. Close for me is ~50m - 75m but still no shooting lane and cows milling or bedded or satellite bull roaming, i felt the challenge was a good decision at the time.

The hardest part in all this is to maintain confidence in your calling when you have messed up a couple encounters in a row. Learn from individual bulls, each bull is different how they react. I just try my best and try not get discouraged. Then there are those times it doesnt matter what you do, they just come in raging mad or horned up... hopefully its at least a 6x5!

I hear ya, sometimes you can do everything right with the calling and playing the wind but it just doesn't pan out, that's elk hunting, but the calling interactions are so addictive and fun... and yes they do move fast, I'm always amazed at how fast elk and moose can move through thick timber.. given the situation you described, I too would've used the challenge bugle, as 50-75 m is close, that distance with the challenge bugle has worked a couple times for me , but it makes sense how sometimes it won't work, because like you say, every bull is different... and if the wind isn't working in your favour chances of success are low no matter what..

HappyJack
07-24-2023, 05:36 AM
Interesting, for preds coming in mostly bears, or wolves and cats too? I tried elk calling from 200 yards away from 2 griz we were watching last year and they didn't do anything..

Bears and wolves both show up , we hunt elk in 7B and have never seen a cougar up there.

J_T
07-24-2023, 08:28 AM
As the classic line goes, you hunt elk, where you find them. 'Run and Gun' is obviously the most fun. It isn't really, quiet stalking.

I carry a folding, "Ultimate Predator Stalker Elk Decoy" It folds up to a 12 inch round. Unfolds and mounts to the bow, with a shooting window. If you are chasing elk, you will get close and that elk will expect to see an elk. If they don't, they will bark and split. So for moments when I'm getting close, I pull out the decoy and quickly mount it to the bow. I'm hidden, with a view and can advance forward.
Further to this conversation. In my opinion, if you have a bull that is bugling, you cut the distance in half. Run quick. Bugle again, stir him up.
200 yards out, is the start for me. Locate him prior to that, but get moving. Watch the wind. As you get within 50 yards, if he isn't responding to a bugle, use the cow call. If he doesn't respond to the cow call, use a different cow call. If he moves away, push him, stay with him. They often get to a place, with you doggin him that he'll turn. My goals is to get him broadside under 20 yards. Not 200.
Two or three of those encounters in a day (catch and release...), is a ton of fun and makes great memories.

mikeman20
07-25-2023, 06:57 PM
Further to this conversation. In my opinion, if you have a bull that is bugling, you cut the distance in half. Run quick. Bugle again, stir him up.
200 yards out, is the start for me. Locate him prior to that, but get moving. Watch the wind. As you get within 50 yards, if he isn't responding to a bugle, use the cow call. If he doesn't respond to the cow call, use a different cow call. If he moves away, push him, stay with him. They often get to a place, with you doggin him that he'll turn. My goals is to get him broadside under 20 yards. Not 200.
Two or three of those encounters in a day (catch and release...), is a ton of fun and makes great memories.

This sounds like so much fun. I'm still struggling to figure out where the elk are in the first place! 2 years and both times not even a single bugle heard