PDA

View Full Version : Sausage for sale!

kevingm1987
07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Just a random question, and before anyone blasts from the hip, I didn't kill a spring bear and didn't get any sausage made, but back to the the question:

Lets say you kill a bear or a deer and pay the butcher $4/lb to turn that tasty critter into some fantastic sausage! If you took that sausage and separated 10lbs out and gave it to your buddy, and he gave you $40 is that still considered selling game meat or just getting compensated for what you had paid the butcher?

If someone says yes, then, if he gave you the $40 before going to the butcher to help with the cost of the butcher, is it considered selling game meat?

Situation doesn't apply to me, I make all my own sausage, just more interested.

RyoTHC
07-18-2023, 01:34 PM
It’s all selling and all not legal. Giving him some is legal.

buckshot
07-18-2023, 02:05 PM
How about you give your buddy meat. You both decide to get sausage made and go halfers on the cost of the butcher?

Edzzed
07-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Selling is selling. How about you give your buddy some sausage and 40 falls on the floor. I think when they made the legislation they were targeting people selling it on craigslist or some other site. Me doubts they'd bring out the cuffs for meat between friends. My father used to trade salmon for moose and deer meat. Neither he nor my uncle batted an eye over that.

N¡ck
07-18-2023, 04:31 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Model_of_Wildlife_Conservation

moosinaround
07-18-2023, 06:59 PM
How about, you not bring it up on a public forum, and use your best judgement? Read the regs, and follow them? Or don't follow them, only you know your comfort level with ethical decisions! JMO Moosin

hawk-i
07-18-2023, 09:22 PM
I don't think a friend chipping in for processing costs would be considered buying/selling wild game, but I could be wrong.

This should be between friends .... end of story.

j270wsm
07-19-2023, 04:49 AM
Nothing illegal about someone paying for their portion of the butchering cost when splitting the harvested game animal.

walks with deer
07-19-2023, 02:29 PM
Nothing unethical about sharring butcher cost selling for profit is a different thing eg no commercial harvesting..

guntech
07-19-2023, 03:00 PM
I would think your buddy would have to been on the hunt with you and then you could share processing costs and the meat as many moose hunters do every year.

On a hunt by yourself, processed meat can be given. Money has to stay out of it...

Just my thoughts..

Bernie O
07-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Some people just overthink everything.

tyreguy
07-20-2023, 10:16 AM
OP - read what you wrote:
”cost $4/lb to turn into sausage - buddy takes 10lbs for $40”
You recovered cutting costs, didn’t sell any meat there.

SteelyDan
07-20-2023, 01:15 PM
Tread carefully here. If you go duck hunting and it cost you $40 in gas and then you " give" the dead ducks to your friend and ask for $40 for them; you are trading, bartering or selling them for sure.

Of course you could explain your point of view to a Judge.