PDA

View Full Version : Using Scents to attract Mule Deer

o2fish2day
12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Has anyone got some input as to whether scents work for mule deer. Seems all the attractants have a picture of a white tail on the cover.

I have some Synthetic Big Buck Scent Advanced Formula from Knight&Hale.

Does this stuff really work? I am a bit reluctant to get it all over myself on on my gloves then find it just scares off the Mulies thinking it's a Monster Whitey.

3kills
12-08-2007, 05:23 PM
be careful when puttin it on ur self alls u need is a big buck thinkin ur a doe or another buck and wantin to fight ya or well u know LOL

islandstalker
12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
i think quadrakid has used some successfully .

happygilmore
12-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I came upon a nice 4pt once realizing he was downwind of me I squirted some buck scent (whitetail). I don't know if it was my scent or the bottle but in about the time it took the spray to waft over to him he bolted like he was kicked in the nu#s. Since then I only use natural covers ie spruce or earth.

KevinB
12-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't know if it was my scent or the bottle but in about the time it took the spray to waft over to him he bolted like he was kicked in the nu#s.

That's because you were upwind of him...and you smelled like a human. With deer scent on you. Not gonna fool their noses but you might get lucky and find one that decies to ignore the human smell part...:wink:

And who the hell know what was really in the bottle?aybe someone at the factory had a bad day and filled it full of wolf piss instead :roll:

Anyway like anything sometimes it can be a real asset (not that I've tried it) but sometimes maybe the opposite.

good luck!

Gunner
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
There is an aerosol scent for sale in the states called "the Mulie Bomb!" I think I saw it in Eastman's Hunting Journal. Gunner

Orangethunder
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
A buddy of mine used the scent sticks that you light like a candle. He was also rattling but he did say that there was a lot of activity around the scent location.

I have found that tarsal glands off a 'rutty' buck to be the best.

Hunterguy
12-08-2007, 11:21 PM
During the rut and some of us have had a doe draw, question, yes when your gutting how many of you are so worried about puncturing the bladder and releasing the urine, how about a buck, alot of times if I'm rattling I find by the the time they come in and the shot has been taken their bladders are dry, but if not both does and the bucks bladder are sweet, drain them, bottle them and let the games begin, better than anything you are going to buy of the shelf!!!

Ltbullken
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
A good friend of mine took his 'lifetime' buck by using scent. The buck came in on it and stuck his nose straight on the bucket when his fortune ran out. I saw a buck this year following a doe with his nose virtually up her *&$#!! No doubt sniffing for 'readiness'. That tells me that in the rutting season, estrus scent should be a big draw for a buck. But as pointed out earlier, got watch the human scent around the area that one sets up a scent lure or the deer smells estrus and human. I spray earth scent in the area once I set up the scent sticks. I think one should set it up in a good deer area and then the winds and terrain come into play. I only started using scent this year. It didn't bring any deer in this year though I will try again tomorrow. The secondary rut should be underway.

boxhitch
12-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Seems all the attractants have a picture of a white tail on the cover.

.I ??? the marketing too. By far, the biggest market for gimicks is the Easter US whitetail hunter. Anything else is secondary. Scents, like calls, seem to be labelled 'for Mulie too'. Don't count on it.
I had a similar experience this year. Buck coming in, dense cover, he went down wind into the 'doe estrus' scent line, and bolted away.
But then, these days, who knows, may have been ghay.

Mr. Dean
12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
I know of a taxidermist (not Ray...) that swears by em. He likes the scented candles.

happygilmore
12-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Yeah sent candles a little Barry White.... set the mood!...:wink:

hunter1947
12-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Never have used the stuff ,i don't know if scent would work or not ,but when elk hunting i put on cow in heat scent to help cover up my human scent.

Will
12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Here's a better suggestion............look back on most of the BIG Bucks that were taken right here by HBC Members the last month.

Then ask how many of those were taken because of some Magic Scent Formula ? :rolleyes:

I'll wager not too many:wink:

rock
12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Here's a better suggestion............look back on most of the BIG Bucks that were taken right here by HBC Members the last month.

Then ask how many of those were taken because of some Magic Scent Formula ? :rolleyes:

I'll wager not too many:wink:
Mine was quite productive when used right but you need the right scent for your hunt elk,deer,moose, it will work plus helps mask are own human odor as for using regular all the time one way to get an advantage between the smell of your game and you doing calls for them perfect, they'll come walking in thinking your one of them