PDA

View Full Version : Parksville

stixnstones
07-08-2023, 07:46 AM
Just wondering what to expect say July 18th til 30th for fishing outta parksville area. Planning a trip. Not familiar with the area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated thx

Bugle M In
07-11-2023, 01:19 PM
Well, if the Regs go as previous, Chinook should open in the 15th of July (again, dfo has not posted an opening as of yet).
Fishing the past few years out of French creek has been positive.
If open, size restriction in place.
Coho have been doing well, but might slow down now?
Not sure where you go for rockfish, except head east from there and watch out for the restricted areas for them.

Spoons w/flashers have worked well out at French.
Usually fishes best early morning or late in day, and obviously around slack.

Last year, come late summer, the Chinook were hanging around the Q waiting to go up river, so it got slower at French.
However, we ended running into a lot of coho out there in late September, nice ones too.

high horse Hal
07-11-2023, 09:50 PM
deja vu
sounds like our times out of Beachcomber and Schooner 20+ years ago, early coho then later for chnooks, minus the recent restrictions of course
Well, if the Regs go as previous, Chinook should open in the 15th of July (again, dfo has not posted an opening as of yet).
Fishing the past few years out of French creek has been positive.
If open, size restriction in place.
Coho have been doing well, but might slow down now?
Not sure where you go for rockfish, except head east from there and watch out for the restricted areas for them.

Spoons w/flashers have worked well out at French.
Usually fishes best early morning or late in day, and obviously around slack.

Last year, come late summer, the Chinook were hanging around the Q waiting to go up river, so it got slower at French.
However, we ended running into a lot of coho out there in late September, nice ones too.

Bugle M In
07-12-2023, 05:38 PM
deja vu
sounds like our times out of Beachcomber and Schooner 20+ years ago, early coho then later for chnooks, minus the recent restrictions of course
I am going to be honest here.
Si, as I said, we have had good fishing out of French car, the past several years.
(granted, there are some slow hours in there, but again, it seems to fish well early morning, and late regardless if tide, and then there is the slack, but note, the salmon do push in or out depending on the tide)
This year has been phenomenal coho fishing, some saying not since the 80’s.
But generally, come now, we hit Chinook mostly there.
Now last year, I fished early September and we found French to be slowing down.
Why, because I think the Chinook were up at the Q ready to go up come rain.
And that’s where we found them.
But later by a week or so, we planned to hit the Q but noticed a flotilla out front of French.
Rod in, salmon in, bonk, i to the box.
But then (here comes the honesty), we caught a few undersized…. Or so we thought!
5th in, and it’s a keeper, right until I spot its teeth aren’t chinooky Looking!
Coho!
Then we realized, we weren’t into Chinook, but an awesome day of coho fishing.
Thank god it was one hatchery, one wild!

Bugle M In
07-17-2023, 07:48 PM
Good day on Saturday out of French creek Saturday.
Due to it being the first day of Chinook retention, we thought going early would be a gong show, think it was, but we were too hung over.
got out there about an hour before slack, dished thru it and spent 5 hours or so on the water.
3 guys, 6 hatchery coho, released a couple of wild.
And 3 Chinook, 2 that were just inside the max slot limit, 3rd wasn’t too shabby either, and a big boy we had to throw back.
So, I would say it was a great day, and fishing there is good.
Flasher and spoons.
And some coho we caught were deep!!??
So, limited out.