PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Scouting Trip

Gianni2507
07-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Just came back from a "scouting" Trip, figured I'd try to write a Post about it!

I managed to escape from work for a couple of days, Since I don't have two days in a row a lot, we try to make every opportunity count! As I'm new to hunting in general, I figured why not try to make a regular overnight trip into a scouting mission for mule deer..

So on Google Earth I went to figure out where we'd want to go, unfortunately one area looks as good as the other to me.
I ended up choosing a Saddle/Pass between two valleys, with a creek running down one side and multiple lakes and tarns in the area. Right at the Treeline the area was a mix of small larches, forest up to the saddle and the sides and some open country in between.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/SC_TRIP.jpg Blue Arrow -> Camping Spot, Green Line -> Approach

So Hiking we went, and after about 7,5km and 1000m Elevation Gain, arrived at our camping spot at around 2 pm in Cloudy but warm conditions, lots of bugs and no other people. Right away I startet glassing the Saddle with my Nikon 10x42, after a quick scan of the open Spaces of the Pass I looked at the Stuff above treeline to the south, where multiple little lakes and taverns are hidden, but it's quite a Reach for my budget glass...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_3434.jpg

In Reality there were way more trees than what I had gathered from Google Earth, but In my unexperienced Opinion relying solely on Books that I have read, It should have had every feature that a Mule Deer would want, from Cover to Water and Food.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Sleeping_bags.jpg

Our "Camp" for the Night, due to the good Weather Report we figured we'd leave the tent at home and take only our sleeping bags, pads and a Tarp for a emergency Thunderstorm Shelter. Had an awesome Night, not too Cold but unfortunately no good for Stargazing as the Full Moon was only a couple days prior.

From arriving at 2 pm to dinnter at about 7 pm I Switched from glassing the whole area to reading Robby Dennings Mule Deer Book and back. After Dinner my Plan was to be the rest of the Night until the Night behind the Binos, as I hoped to spot some Deer during Primetime. My Eyes started hurting about an Hour into the glassing Session (Binos supportet by a trekking pole for stability) and I got a light Headache. Not sure why? Ended up seeing one single Deer, that far in the Distance that I only made it out because it moved. (Red Arrow on the Google earth Pic)

After a beautiful and bright Night, I glassed some more in the morning hours but couldn't find anything else, had brunch at about 10 am and then packed up camp and headed back home.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Glassing1.jpg

Glassing from a Single Trekking Pole was surprisingly steady, but without bigger Binos or a Spotter some of the Distances where just too far to glass effectively.

On our way home a Helicopter from a nearby Lodge dropped of about a dozen tourists, and after a quick chat I learned that they use the Area quite frequently and fly over it lots, so I figured that maybe that was one of the contributing factors for not seeing more deer.

In Conclusion it was a great adventure, sleeping under the stars and getting some boots on the ground experience, even if the only Thing I learned is that that particular area is probably not worth investing more time into due to the frequent Recreational Use of the lodge.

I still have lots of doubt if it even would be considered good Mule Deer country, if I maybe saw less deer because they were up at night (Full Moon?) or If I just didn't see them due to lacking knowledge/technique..

Hope I can do this a couple more times and maybe find a spot where I at least see some more activity so I have something to check out come Fall....

Weatherby Fan
07-06-2023, 09:36 PM
That’s how my older brother and I hunted September in the Alpine for years, no tents just a good bag and an emergency blanket in case of snow, we usually anchored up under a spruce thicket to keep the frost off of us.

Had lots of uncomfortable sleeps but the deer hunting was awesome.
When I finally bought a Thermarest it was like sleeping at the Hilton !!!

What power and kind of binos are you using ?

VLD43
07-06-2023, 09:48 PM
Great report. Couple of things here. If you can, camp in closer to the trees and use some of the soft ends of the evergreens as bedding. makes things really comfy. Nice to hear you stuck out the glassing. As you become more proficient, you will pick up more deer and have a better idea of areas to concentrate on. You mentioned getting a headache from glassing. Probably a combination of poor optics and the diopter out of adjustment. That's the rear lense on the right side being out of adjustment. It causes eye strain. As you do more glassing you will start to understand the importance of buying good glass. Yes it is expensive, but you won't get eye strain and you will see a lot more game with time. You noticed how easy it is to not pick up on deer in the area until they move and how difficult it is to make out detail at distance. Some that goes away with good optics. A small spotting scope helps too. I would definitely head to that area again. You know what to expect and you probably saw very little of it. I would go there at least another couple of times before writing it off. Look forward to your next report.

Gianni2507
07-06-2023, 10:44 PM
That’s how my older brother and I hunted September in the Alpine for years, no tents just a good bag and an emergency blanket in case of snow, we usually anchored up under a spruce thicket to keep the frost off of us.

Had lots of uncomfortable sleeps but the deer hunting was awesome.
When I finally bought a Thermarest it was like sleeping at the Hilton !!!

What power and kind of binos are you using ?

Nikon Prostaff 3s 10x42.. All I can afford for now even though I would love to
get a spotting scope soon!

Gianni2507
07-06-2023, 10:47 PM
Great report. Couple of things here. If you can, camp in closer to the trees and use some of the soft ends of the evergreens as bedding. makes things really comfy. Nice to hear you stuck out the glassing. As you become more proficient, you will pick up more deer and have a better idea of areas to concentrate on. You mentioned getting a headache from glassing. Probably a combination of poor optics and the diopter out of adjustment. That's the rear lense on the right side being out of adjustment. It causes eye strain. As you do more glassing you will start to understand the importance of buying good glass. Yes it is expensive, but you won't get eye strain and you will see a lot more game with time. You noticed how easy it is to not pick up on deer in the area until they move and how difficult it is to make out detail at distance. Some that goes away with good optics. A small spotting scope helps too. I would definitely head to that area again. You know what to expect and you probably saw very little of it. I would go there at least another couple of times before writing it off. Look forward to your next report.

I did the initial adjustments for that against a clear sky when I forst got the binos, but I might have to try setting it again, thanks for the tip!

Guess I’ll have to make do with the low end binos for now, already spent a lot on a rifle this year and will still need a good pack too!

Treed
07-06-2023, 11:20 PM
I’d really recommend getting a tripod and attachment for your binos. It’s a vast improvement on the Trecking pole method, you get rid of the slight shake in the binos and it makes it easier to pick up small movements, see better detail, and it’s easier on the eyes. Great looking trip, you’ll be on deer if you keep doing what you are doing and you’ll have a great time doing it!!

grouse14
07-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Glad you saw deer that’s a win!

I’m in the exact same boat as you. Read every book, listened to every podcast and just put in my first budget scouting trip with only binos last weekend. I’m far from an expert but I learned a ton from my trip as well and here’s my advice.

I would recommend bringing a spotting scope. I did not know the access to my spot so I packed light and left the spotting scope at home. It really bit me when I glassed up some bucks but could not see what they were. I could see they were forked but was not able count points so I have to make another trip back to get a better look. I didn’t want to risk spooking them so I didn’t get close to check. My spotting scope is a cheap one that I got of FB marketplace for 80$ but it zooms much further than my binos and would have helped for sure.

Also make sure to glass over the area several times! After glassing for an hour I finally spotted 2 bucks feeding around a small patch of trees that I looked over several times. They would feed in and out and only noticed them when they had fully stepped out. 30 mins later they were back inside the trees and could only spot bits of ass and colour through the timber.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19EgfMnNeqw-f96uK-q93xVklfOyP8Wdj/view?usp=drivesdk

Greatest lesson was boots on the ground, google maps and theories don’t come close to what’s actually there!

Good luck! I’ll be following this thread for the summer as well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/3f379bf1-5295-446b-af6b-406e5c43079fhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/35d3b035-2d0c-4ca9-bfbe-046419bda477

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/1a935c1f-e7cb-4966-b0ab-1e12344cc70b

hickman
07-07-2023, 11:09 AM
Every year, I am looking to add another alpine mule deer spot. Some areas look perfect on Google Earth but in reality turn out to be mostly void of deer. Food is key, I think. Grassy slopes with willow patches seem ideal. I think, the saddle just to the right of where you spotted the deer would be perfect for a camera. That will tell the story!
Glassing at first light and just before dusk on hot days is key, of course.
IMO, recreational use might not always impact deer. I regularly hunt an area in October when deer migrate out of the alpine, have also hunted there in September. The area has lots of recreational hiking and MTB traffic. Deer don't care as they bed during the day, might feed and move early afternoon to find a shady spot. If it is regular activity, deer seem to get used to it.

dino
07-07-2023, 11:46 AM
Deer aren't always up top yet in early July.
Alpine in different regions deer act differently .

high horse Hal
07-07-2023, 02:36 PM
Looks like a great outing, love them peaks, you are doing it right
Nikon are not bargain basement glasses, very popular for a reason, the headache could be from eye strain that it takes time to get used to
also it can be brought on from a neck kink, another 'get used to it' factor, not something done in normal day to day life
10x is plenty for finding, many use 8x to avoid some of the jiggle which can cause a strain too
Once you start watching more critters they become easier to find too
Planning our first trip 'up top' next week, earlier than normal with all the snow melted out already

TheObserver
07-07-2023, 11:27 PM
Nice country! Were you seeing sign on the ground and in the trees and eaten/nipped food up there and on the way up?

Also where there is 1 Deer there are more, even if not right in that same spot, there will be more close by

Ohwildwon
07-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Unless your spending over a grand for Bino’s,
your going to get a headache
There is a reason swarovski‘s
are $4g’s

Gianni2507
07-09-2023, 08:11 PM
I’d really recommend getting a tripod and attachment for your binos. It’s a vast improvement on the Trecking pole method, you get rid of the slight shake in the binos and it makes it easier to pick up small movements, see better detail, and it’s easier on the eyes. Great looking trip, you’ll be on deer if you keep doing what you are doing and you’ll have a great time doing it!!
I'll look into a tripod, thanks!

Gianni2507
07-09-2023, 08:12 PM
Nice country! Were you seeing sign on the ground and in the trees and eaten/nipped food up there and on the way up?

Also where there is 1 Deer there are more, even if not right in that same spot, there will be more close by

I wasn't down in the Area where I looked/saw the deer, that would be the next trip, checking out some gametrails and looking for sign. On the way up to the glassing knob was no sign, but it was a well maintained hiking trail, so I didn't expect to see much sign there..

Gianni2507
07-09-2023, 08:16 PM
Glad you saw deer that’s a win!

I’m in the exact same boat as you. Read every book, listened to every podcast and just put in my first budget scouting trip with only binos last weekend. I’m far from an expert but I learned a ton from my trip as well and here’s my advice.

I would recommend bringing a spotting scope. I did not know the access to my spot so I packed light and left the spotting scope at home. It really bit me when I glassed up some bucks but could not see what they were. I could see they were forked but was not able count points so I have to make another trip back to get a better look. I didn’t want to risk spooking them so I didn’t get close to check. My spotting scope is a cheap one that I got of FB marketplace for 80$ but it zooms much further than my binos and would have helped for sure.

Also make sure to glass over the area several times! After glassing for an hour I finally spotted 2 bucks feeding around a small patch of trees that I looked over several times. They would feed in and out and only noticed them when they had fully stepped out. 30 mins later they were back inside the trees and could only spot bits of ass and colour through the timber.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19EgfMnNeqw-f96uK-q93xVklfOyP8Wdj/view?usp=drivesdk

Greatest lesson was boots on the ground, google maps and theories don’t come close to what’s actually there!

Good luck! I’ll be following this thread for the summer as well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/3f379bf1-5295-446b-af6b-406e5c43079fhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/35d3b035-2d0c-4ca9-bfbe-046419bda477

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/1a935c1f-e7cb-4966-b0ab-1e12344cc70b

Awesome that you saw 2 Bucks! Keep us updated how your future trips are going if you have planned any! I don't have a spotter yet, can't drop too much coin on a new hobby all at once unfortunately! I'm always scanning the Marketplace for some good deals, but no fortune yet! Where are you at in BC?

HarryToolips
07-09-2023, 10:35 PM
Great pics man! I don't have really much to add to what has already been stated.. what are you using to pack an animal out if you harvest one up there? You mentioned you're a newer hunter, do you know how to do the gutless method?

Ourea
07-09-2023, 10:49 PM
Your first picture.....
Those spiney finger ridges below your green line on the left..... they reek of potential.

Gianni2507
07-10-2023, 06:11 AM
Great pics man! I don't have really much to add to what has already been stated.. what are you using to pack an animal out if you harvest one up there? You mentioned you're a newer hunter, do you know how to do the gutless method?

I’m planning on getting an Exo pack before the Fall, easy to justify the Money when you can use it as a backpacking pack for trips with the wife ;)

Never did the gutless Method, butchered a couple WT-Deer myself though and lots of cattle, so not overly concerned with that aspect!

Gianni2507
07-10-2023, 06:12 AM
Your first picture.....
Those spiney finger ridges below your green line on the left..... they reek of potential.
I’ll keep an eye on them!

TheObserver
07-10-2023, 08:19 AM
I wasn't down in the Area where I looked/saw the deer, that would be the next trip, checking out some gametrails and looking for sign. On the way up to the glassing knob was no sign, but it was a well maintained hiking trail, so I didn't expect to see much sign there..

Okay, my experience with Alpine Mulies is limited and will only be hunting one this year in alpine if I see a monster while Elk hunting.

I go up to a lot of Alpine for Blacktail, never involves a hiking trail it is always bushwacking until I get up there and if i'm not seeing good rubs on way up or down in the timber I know I won't spend to much time there. Not saying you should do this or not, i'm not sure where you are how high or how much snow it gets there, as someone said before if Deer are not in danger from hiking trails I feel they get used to it pretty quick and know how to avoid/hide if they feel the need. But yeah I would definitely be checking timber close to treeline for sign, away from the hiking trails.

July and August are some of the best months to lay eyes on Bucks as a lot of them will be in the open more protecting their racks while they are in velvet growing, when glassing look for ears, antlers etc. And shaded spots, they will go from bed to bed if the sun hits the bed they are in and they want to stay cool in the shade. My experience Deer almost always bed with something at their backs, rock, stump, log/deadfall, tree and so on.

Ourea
07-10-2023, 09:13 AM
A further comment........

I learned a long time ago to analyze and hunt for habitat to find game.
With that understanding appreciate that it's been a bit of a scorcher this year.

Alpine feed will probably be getting baked out.
No prime feed, animals will adapt to the conditions and perhaps not be sitting high and handsome in the alpine as much.

Gianni2507
07-10-2023, 12:44 PM
Okay, my experience with Alpine Mulies is limited and will only be hunting one this year in alpine if I see a monster while Elk hunting.

I go up to a lot of Alpine for Blacktail, never involves a hiking trail it is always bushwacking until I get up there and if i'm not seeing good rubs on way up or down in the timber I know I won't spend to much time there. Not saying you should do this or not, i'm not sure where you are how high or how much snow it gets there, as someone said before if Deer are not in danger from hiking trails I feel they get used to it pretty quick and know how to avoid/hide if they feel the need. But yeah I would definitely be checking timber close to treeline for sign, away from the hiking trails.

July and August are some of the best months to lay eyes on Bucks as a lot of them will be in the open more protecting their racks while they are in velvet growing, when glassing look for ears, antlers etc. And shaded spots, they will go from bed to bed if the sun hits the bed they are in and they want to stay cool in the shade. My experience Deer almost always bed with something at their backs, rock, stump, log/deadfall, tree and so on.

I plan on going back there as soon as I get the chance and see if there's any tracks and trails in the saddle area, hope I will find some good sign there!

A further comment........

I learned a long time ago to analyze and hunt for habitat to find game.
With that understanding appreciate that it's been a bit of a scorcher this year.

Alpine feed will probably be getting baked out.
No prime feed, animals will adapt to the conditions and perhaps not be sitting high and handsome in the alpine as much.

I try learning about Habitat as much as I can, but in most every Book or Podcast everybody talks about Food and Cover. Being that there is endless Timber around there I don't think that's much of a Hint, and for Food I just don't know yet what kind of Bush/Herbs/Flowers/Grass to key in on? Most places I look at seem to be "suitable" Habitat to me lol.

Regarding the hot and dry Summer though, maybe North Slopes will remain greener longer than the rest? Water is not a problem in that particular spot, but maybe around the waters edge it stays cooler and greener?

Greenthumbed
07-10-2023, 02:10 PM
I'll look into a tripod, thanks!
Another plus for binos on a tripod is that it slows you down. I tend to scan too fast when just holding binos. When using a tripod it allows you to hold a position for as long as you like and really pick a spot apart. It also allows you to look away for a second and then get back to the same spot you were looking at. This is a real advantage for long glassing sessions.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2023, 03:14 PM
You are definitely doing it right. GE scouting followed by laying down some boot leather. People will be much more willing to fine tune your direction when someone is willing to put in a good effort. Sure beats the approach thats some other chose to take.

I'm no muley hunter so I can't offer you the advise that other can but I appreciate your thread!:cool:

SSS

HarryToolips
07-10-2023, 05:22 PM
I’m planning on getting an Exo pack before the Fall, easy to justify the Money when you can use it as a backpacking pack for trips with the wife ;)

Never did the gutless Method, butchered a couple WT-Deer myself though and lots of cattle, so not overly concerned with that aspect!
Right on man, great to hear, yup if you butchered deer already, then the gutless method is indeed easy to figure out..

Cheers

HarryToolips
07-10-2023, 05:25 PM
I plan on going back there as soon as I get the chance and see if there's any tracks and trails in the saddle area, hope I will find some good sign there!

I try learning about Habitat as much as I can, but in most every Book or Podcast everybody talks about Food and Cover. Being that there is endless Timber around there I don't think that's much of a Hint, and for Food I just don't know yet what kind of Bush/Herbs/Flowers/Grass to key in on? Most places I look at seem to be "suitable" Habitat to me lol.

Regarding the hot and dry Summer though, maybe North Slopes will remain greener longer than the rest? Water is not a problem in that particular spot, but maybe around the waters edge it stays cooler and greener?
You're correct, North, and NE slopes will remain greener longer that the rest..

Gianni2507
11-16-2023, 10:10 PM
So since my Hunting Season came to an end now, I figured I'd give a little update on how everything went, even though it did not go as I had planned back when I was writing this post!

Unfortunately I didn't have the time anymore for another multi day scouting trip in the same area, so when a good buddy of mine gave me a couple hints at another spot that I should try out, I figured I'd do a little dayhike with my girl and try to look for possible Camping spots as well as Creeks for Water. Spooked a yearling/fawn on our way there and seen a doe when we were having Lunch on top, so I figured this would be the place to go.

I had Time off for 5 days in the second week of October, and so I loaded up my Pack with Tent, Rifle and some Grub and headed up into the Alpine and set up my Tent just in time for an evening glassing session.

The new Spot was an Alpine Basin, semi open with lots of larches scattered throughout. From my Initial Spot I could see about 70% of the Basin, but obviously the Stuff that was hidden looked the most promising to me. After not seeing anything on the first evening, I had some dinner and headed for my sleeping bag. This was also my first solo back country trip, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to get a good nights rest or if I would be waking up from every little noise. Luckily it didn't bother me at all though and I slept until my Alarm woke me up for first light.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Area_1.jpg
View from Glassing Spot No.1

I was expecting frosts for the mornings but a steady wind during the Night kept the freezing temps away and it wasn't too awful to get up and dressed, ready for glassing.

After glassing from first light until about 10:00 am, I got antsy and started thinking about moving camp to a spot where I would have better glassing spots for the areas that looked most promising in the whole basin.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Tent4.jpg
Second camping spot, a little exposed to the wind but was hidden from the Basin through some Larches

So I packed up and moved across the basin to my new Spot, where I spent the next 2 Days of my Trip. Passing my Time with Glassing and reading and some more glassing.

After Day 3 passed and I haven’t seen a single Deer I started to get a little discouraged and made up my Mind that they must be in the Timber just below the Area and that there are no Deer up in the Basin anymore.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Area_2.jpg
Camping spot No.1 was on far end of the Ridge in the Picture, looking into where the Picture was taken.

Plan B was to look for a Buck in the Cutblock below, but first I wanted to check out the Places that looked promising to me for sign, just to see if there even was any of that. Upon closer Inspection I found lots of Scat and Tracks that seemed to be from 1 Week Old to last years dried up scat.

So knowing that the Deer where here not too long ago, I wasn’t sure if the recent snowfall (4 Inches) pushed them down already, or if another Hunter was here before me and spooked them, or if I just plain didn’t see them.
Making my way down the Mountain, I found that the local lodge cut in a new skiing lane what appeared to be just days before (Leaves and needles were still green, sap from the cuts still running) about 100 feet wide and multiple km’s long. Maybe the Chainsaw noise spooked them?
Spent the Mornings and Evenings of Day 4 and 5 in the Cutblock, Sometimes Stillhunting and other times sitting under a tree. No Deer to be found, but seen scat, old and new rubs and some tracks.

So my first Solo Backcountry Hunt ended, I enjoyed the solitude and scenery although I was a little disappointed that I didn’t even see a Deer. Wasn’t expecting to bag an animal on my first Outing, but would have hoped to at least get to watch some.

Over the last Month I went back to revisit in my Mind and tried to figure out what Mistakes I made, what I learned and what I’ll have to do different next time around.

Some of the conclusions I came to are:

-

- It’s hard to stay persistent when you’re constantly second guessing if you’re even in the right spot or if you’re doing something absolutely wrong

-
- For the next year, try to make the trip happen right after Sept. 10 (Rifle Opening) to maybe catch them out in the open more

-
- Invest in a tripod for the binos and maybe even a budget spotting scope

I was lucky enough to fill my Tag 2 days before the season ended when I found a nice 3x4 hanging out with a few does in a Cutblock, but the Goal for next Year is definitely to try and get one up high again!

Any thoughts, critics or tips are welcome!

grouse14
11-23-2023, 08:46 PM
https://imgur.com/a/58OybFwHey Gianni I had a very similar experience to you in my alpine hunt this season. I revisited where I spotted bucks in early July a few weeks later but I couldn't find them and the greens seemed to have dried out a bit. Before hiking up on my hunt I checked out some easier to access spots mid slope on a north facing mountain and saw several does and a fair amount of sign. On top of the mountain I couldn't find much fresh deer sign and only saw one possible deer butt. There was no shortage of black bears in my spot though. I lucked out still hunting my way off the mountain and caught a 4x4 below the sub alpine in the timber. He was on an east facing slope.https://i.imgur.com/X2S4nzC.jpg

I agree with your take aways you've noted. My biggest takeaway is that more time on the mountain would help a ton! I think more outings to really pattern the deer and follow them throughout the alpine would have helped me. The summer was really dry so I feel like that shifted their haunts mid summer. Knowing exactly where they are close to opener would help the confidence a ton. Counting down the days till July!

HarryToolips
11-23-2023, 10:58 PM
Right on great pics and thanks for the update... congrats on the buck you got later... I found the early season hot and dry, was there water sources around there in the 2nd week of Oct when you went back? I did not find big game in my high country hunt for elk in Sept, as previously mentioned by others, I believe the premium forage had dried up... I'd go back up in the future for a hunt if you predict the forage is there, depending on the weather..

FishandSticks
11-24-2023, 09:46 AM
Thanks for sharing, great write up and pics.

PS. you can get used tripods at Value village cheap until you want to go carbon fibre

Gianni2507
11-28-2023, 08:46 PM
https://imgur.com/a/58OybFwHey Gianni I had a very similar experience to you in my alpine hunt this season. I revisited where I spotted bucks in early July a few weeks later but I couldn't find them and the greens seemed to have dried out a bit. Before hiking up on my hunt I checked out some easier to access spots mid slope on a north facing mountain and saw several does and a fair amount of sign. On top of the mountain I couldn't find much fresh deer sign and only saw one possible deer butt. There was no shortage of black bears in my spot though. I lucked out still hunting my way off the mountain and caught a 4x4 below the sub alpine in the timber. He was on an east facing slope.https://i.imgur.com/X2S4nzC.jpg

I agree with your take aways you've noted. My biggest takeaway is that more time on the mountain would help a ton! I think more outings to really pattern the deer and follow them throughout the alpine would have helped me. The summer was really dry so I feel like that shifted their haunts mid summer. Knowing exactly where they are close to opener would help the confidence a ton. Counting down the days till July!

Congrats on the velvet-buck! Yes, I also can't wait to get up there again next summer!

Right on great pics and thanks for the update... congrats on the buck you got later... I found the early season hot and dry, was there water sources around there in the 2nd week of Oct when you went back? I did not find big game in my high country hunt for elk in Sept, as previously mentioned by others, I believe the premium forage had dried up... I'd go back up in the future for a hunt if you predict the forage is there, depending on the weather..

Water isn't a problem at all at that spot, there are multiple little glacier lakes and creeks running off them, but the forage was obviously dried out, so that might have played a role in it!

Thanks for sharing, great write up and pics.

PS. you can get used tripods at Value village cheap until you want to go carbon fibre

I see quite a few tripods for photographers on the fb marketplace and always wondered if they would do the job too, I'd imagine you can't shoot off them and they're not built with weight-savings in mind, but the sturdiness should still be there, right?

Treed
11-28-2023, 09:53 PM
You wanna get a tripod that’s light, especially if it’s just for binos. Go to a hunting store and take a look at them to get an idea. A lot of the ones used by photographers are too heavy and you’ll end up leaving it at home. There are attachments that you screw into your binos and then attach via a plate to the tripod. Look for used tripod on the buy and sell here.

I’ve done a a bit of subalpine / parkland mulie hunting and I think the dry summers really do affect browse up there. I find a lot more sign in the subalpine fir and spruce forests than higher up. The forested areas tend to stay moister during dry summers.Deer don’t graze, they prefer herbs, which can dry out and disappear, and they browse on quite a few shrub species. That being said, there can be some big bucks hiding out higher up but absolute numbers of deer are less, in my experience. Nice place to hunt though, which is half the reason I hunt higher elevations. If there’s no fresh sign, don’t waste too much time up there unless you’re ok with lower chances of getting a buck.

it’s great to shoot a buck, but it’s also great to do what your doing. Don’t get discouraged, focus on the process not the result (it helps me stay more positive and focused) and you’ll tag out and have a great hunt.