PDA

View Full Version : Late-Season Roosevelt Elk

Sylus
07-04-2023, 01:25 PM
Hi All,

I pulled a low odds Rosie tag in the LEH, and I want to make it count. The authorization is post-rut - October 20 to November 20. Odds I get a trip in during October are low due to another buddy pulling a tag that needs my help.

All of the readily available resources I can find are for hunting these guys in the rut. Does anyone on here have any tips on hunting them post-rut / late season?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sylus

Ron.C
07-04-2023, 01:50 PM
Where's your draw? Cow or bull?

To answer your question, I'd say spot n stalk. In the MU's I hunt and camp within on the Island, I always seem to find elk when I go high and glass down into massive expanses of cutblocks and river bottoms. Doesnt seem to matter if its while spring bear, summer or late season deer hunting. Always seem to glass up some elk.

Getting to them in many cases would be a whole other matter but in my experience its the easiest way to locate them.

Sylus
07-05-2023, 05:40 AM
Hey Ron,

It is the Brittain River draw in Jervis Inlet. Any Bull.

Sylus

mike31154
07-05-2023, 09:33 AM
If you can find a herd of cows, chances are there will be some young 'satellite' bulls following them around. That's how it went for me on an Island Elk LEH in 2020. The big boys will be resting up solitary after the rut.

Fella
07-05-2023, 10:08 AM
If you can find a herd of cows, chances are there will be some young 'satellite' bulls following them around. That's how it went for me on an Island Elk LEH in 2020. The big boys will be resting up solitary after the rut.

yep same experience I had, find the cows you’ll find a young bull

backstrap
07-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Be bear aware, there’s more than the odd grizzly up there. River and creek bottoms seem to hold Rosie’s. Work hard to find fresh sign and then hunt it. Can be very thick where they are hanging out and could possibly rain a lot so be prepared to be wet and be able to dry you and your gear out every night (hot tent etc.) I’ve never had a Rosie draw but have buddies that have and this is what I’ve taken away from it. Also I’ve seen them in that kind of terrain while I’ve been fishing late fall/ early spring.

Rayne
07-05-2023, 11:24 AM
I sent a private message had this draw seen some monster bulls. I know where to find them. Had a grizzly come through camp scared him off and never came back and we had a deer hanging close to camp. The bulls are in there back a ways but they have a couple big rut pits they have been using for years. We found broken antlers. Trails that were run for years and some very nice bulls. Make sure to bring a rain cover for your scope. And some glass that doesn’t fog up. Cost me 2 different bulls.

backstrap
07-05-2023, 02:30 PM
^^^ now that’s good info!!!

Sylus
07-05-2023, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Rayne, I replied to your PM. I am out of the country for work and can't connect over the phone right now. Let's chat when I am back - I appreciate the help, bigtime.

Sylus