PDA

View Full Version : Poached elk ''caught in the act''

moosecamp
07-04-2023, 11:36 AM
I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.
https://www.cheknews.ca/port-alberni-hero-truck-driver-stops-suspected-poachers-1158678/

MRP
07-04-2023, 11:53 AM
Good man. But ya got to be careful you don't know who your dealing with. Called in on some poachers before in city limits didn't have to stick around, guns in city limits call 911 and things happen fast.

SSG-man
07-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Was gonna post but what's gonna happen to the guys? Nothing

RE1960
07-04-2023, 01:44 PM
Another one off those stories that just disappears , like so many others.

elker
07-04-2023, 02:42 PM
I decided not to post this the other day as there were no details on the poachers in the story. If a someone from a protected group "poached" the protected animal, he can always walk free.

Edzzed
07-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Good man. But ya got to be careful you don't know who your dealing with. Called in on some poachers before in city limits didn't have to stick around, guns in city limits call 911 and things happen fast.
Conservation officers have it the worse than cops. 9 times outta 10 they are dealing with people who might be armed. Out in the bush, A different type of law exists. Years ago I was camping at Adams lake and the park host asked where I ride my motorcycle. Says all over the logging roads back there. He tells me even the farmers worry about collecting their cows due to grow ops. They don't want witnesses. If I ride now and see a parked car. I do a U turn and leave the area. They could easily have popped the trucker and moved his vehicle 10 miles away. Just sayin....

Bugle M In
07-04-2023, 10:20 PM
Good on him.
thumbs up

Ubertuber
07-05-2023, 10:04 AM
Makes you wonder how many poachers there are amongst us. I hope they get nailed.

hawk-i
07-05-2023, 11:31 AM
Are 1st nation peoples allowed to harvest a cow elk when they want to?

If yes, and they are status then the it isn't poaching.

kevingm1987
07-05-2023, 12:25 PM
Are 1st nation peoples allowed to harvest a cow elk when they want to?

If yes, and they are status then the it isn't poaching.

First nations on Van Isle receive a certain amount of elk tags from the government. They, in turn, then run their own LEH

Citori54
07-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Hard to tell from the video if the persons involved are First Nations or not. If not, then hopefully prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. If yes, then likely there will be no consequences.

MichelD
07-05-2023, 12:58 PM
First nations on Van Isle receive a certain amount of elk tags from the government. They, in turn, then run their own LEH

I've been involved in four Vancouver island Roosevelt elk hunts. In the North Island one and the Sayward one the band in whose traditional territory the elk are in get allocated a certain number of animals. I met the designated hunter from the Campbell River band on my last LEH hunt there and he was very helpful as far as hunting spots, elk sightings, etc.

kevingm1987
07-05-2023, 02:06 PM
I've been involved in four Vancouver island Roosevelt elk hunts. In the North Island one and the Sayward one the band in whose traditional territory the elk are in get allocated a certain number of animals. I met the designated hunter from the Capbell River band on my last LEH hunt there and he was very helpful as far as hunting spots, elk sightigs, etc.

Yea, should of made it a little more clear. Nothing says they need to run their own LEH, any band member can hunt the elk. Each band gets a certain amount of elk tags though.

I understand this is the system the government uses, X% for FN, X% for Resident hunter, X% for GO. The FN get a quote with tags when the animal is deemed at risk and there is no GOS, like elk on the island. Basically the government is saying there isn't enough animals to allow the FN the exercise their right. To look at it the other way, regions 3-8 all have at least 1 day of some type of moose hunt. With that minimum 1 day hunt, there is no allocated lottery tags for the local bands. Any first nation can come and hunt in BC without a tag or BC license but they need to follow the hunting regulations for allowable harvests. As far as I know, a FN member can take any animal that has a GOS, on their band land and not have it meet the hunting regulations though ie; spike fork, doe, etc, might misunderstand that point though.

Order of importance for wildlife in BC
- Conservation - if an animal needs protection the government has the power to shut it down for everyone
- First nations - protecting their right to hunt and fish
- Resident hunters/ GO - allowing us the right to hunt

Most FN will follow the rules, lets be honest the rules are swayed in their favour, but you will get the ones that don't believe in the rules and feel they can hunt whatever, whenever they want though. Some of them will always argue reservation vs traditional land as well.

Issues will always exist with a two tiered system.