PDA

View Full Version : Some ATV Questions

Jeliason
07-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Hey Everyone,

My family and I are beginning to look for a used ATV but I know almost nothing about them so I'm looking for some of your thoughts to help focus my research. If you have any experience or expertise I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Here are some of my questions:

- What questions should I be asking myself as I'm looking for an ATV?
- What specs would you suggest? It will be used mostly on logging roads and ATV trails.
- Is there a particular make and model that you've really liked and would recommend?
- Is there a particular make and model that you would NOT recommend?

Appreciate your help!

Hunter gatherer
07-04-2023, 11:27 AM
Honda or Yamaha. If your in the 400 to 500 cc they are fairly economical and easy on fuel. 500 has enough power to give you a " holy ��That was close" moments. Also if your not mechanical buy new. Good luck and enjoy

Darksith
07-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Canam outlander 2 up...thats all you need. Bigger CC = burn more gas, you don't need anything more than 700 tops! 450 is a bit light to drag a full moose out.

Iron Glove
07-04-2023, 12:09 PM
Suggest you look at brands that have service available reasonably near where the ATV will be kept, don't want to have the nearest dealer / repairer 500 km away. We have 2 Can Am 2up Outlanders for the adults, hunting, cruising, firewood gathering and such and a kids single seater for the youngest Grand Girl. They've served us well. Oh, and having the dealer 5 minutes from our cabin helps.

MRP
07-04-2023, 12:16 PM
500ish class will do 98% of what you need. I've pulled a 14" boat 60k, dun right a whole average size moose hauled one trip. A 2up for sure for a family. Beware of the Polaris hate cult.

tri777
07-04-2023, 12:27 PM
When i'm done with my 2005 750 Brute Force, it will either be a:
Yamaha Grizzly 700, or a Honda 450/500 Fourtrax.

Two things:
I will never buy a quad without power steering again.
I would run from any quad that has a snorkel on it.

tri777
07-04-2023, 12:31 PM
Beware of the Polaris hate cult.

I don't hate them, but all Polaris/Arctic cat quad's don't interest me.

Ferenc
07-04-2023, 12:32 PM
First thing I would look at is the shape the quad is in ... how clean is it , I have only owed one quad ( Yamaha ) 1995 350 Big Bear ... I purchased this new ( Dec 95 ) things are better on the newer machines ( power steering , diff locks etc .... I would strongly recommend having a shop look at any machine you plan to purchase.
Theres so much to look at when buyin a used quad ... ripped cv boots ... trashed hand controls .. bent up racks .. corrosion on electrical components .
Some of the best units are the ones with low hours that sat in a garage .. and came out to plow the driveway once or twice a year.
Remember ... larger displacement ... the more fuel your going to use.
Once you do find one .... pick up a shop manual !!!! for it.
Keep the air filter clean .... learn how to remove and clean.

KodiakHntr
07-04-2023, 12:47 PM
I’ve owned at least 12 or 14 different atv’s, and currently have 350/500/1000cc machines in the garage.
If you are looking at used machines, you should only be looking at Yamaha or Honda. Neither of those have changed much over time to be honest.
Power steering. No snorkels. 500-700 cc’s. What tires are on it? If it’s got the stock tires and has 2000km on the meter, ask what tire and size the owner had on it. Bigger tires are hard on components like tie rods and ujoints and cv joints. As well as clutches. If it has an aftermarket (louder) muffler, it’s likely been rode harder. Or if the original muffler doesn’t match the condition of the rest of the exhaust.

If you are going to be doubling on it, then your best option is a Can Am 2 up machine. It is exponentially safer than doubling on a single seater.
If you are buying new, a Can Am 650 is going to be real hard to beat.

As to the fuel mileage thing, that depends on a couple of factors. Tires, and whether you are in front Or following. Big heavy tires are harder on fuel. Being in front on a big cc machine is harder on fuel, because you get way out in front and spend lots of time waiting. However, if you are in the back of the pack, you’ll burn LESS fuel with a big twin if you are following 500cc machines because you’ll idle through stuff they had to fight through so you don’t catch up to them. Big machines and a light thumb will crawl through stuff and run at lower rpm in the same conditions and burn less fuel.

swampthing
07-04-2023, 12:59 PM
I find any brands can be good. I have supplied work crews with honda, yamaha and polaris units. I have employees that can break a unit every time they use it, no matter the brand. When buying used look at who you are buying from. The young guy who says its never been mud bogged is usually a well used rig! The old guy like me that changes oils like underwear and keeps records is usually a safe bet! Polaris has a bad reputation but I have owned 4 or 5 and never had a failure. The yamaha grizzlys have a very good reputation.

warnniklz
07-04-2023, 01:03 PM
go talk to the parts and service departments of different local dealerships... they'll tell you all the bad.

Also talk to the sales guys... new prices may be similar to used...

RackStar
07-04-2023, 02:11 PM
Yamaha or Honda

I had a kodiak 700 worked really well. I did some moving around over the last 2 years so I sold it. This time I’m looking at a simple honda 450. I don’t do much riding just access into spots to hike and dragging animals out

browningboy
07-04-2023, 02:20 PM
If you ever rode a 700 then rode a 450, you would be disappointed in a 450, I just found the 450's like a "light" quad but that's just my opinion from experience, I would rather be able to tackle whatever and have peace of mind!

mauser
07-04-2023, 02:46 PM
I have experience on several atv's. Two that stood out to me was the Suzuki king quad 500. Just enough power to get the job done, Good sized seat for a passenger, decent racks, great on fuel. I also really like the ergonomics on the Kawasaki brute force 750 EPS. IMO its got the best racks for packing down game and gear, best seat. All the power in the world to pull game or a heavy trailer, perhaps for the average rider a bit to powerful but I handle it well. Yamaha was decent, tiny seat and very tippy (Grizzly 600 and 700). Great diff lock system. Also had 450 and 500 honda's and in my opinion they're overrated. The 450 electric gear shifter was a big down grade versus the automatics mentioned above. The 500 was Auto. Both had very low ground clearance and so/so suspension. Artic cat 500 was a sluggard. Big, heavy, and under powered. Everything about its controls felt cheap. Like a knock off. If i were to buy another I'd look at the following in order.

Suzuki
Kawasaki
Yamaha

dakoda62
07-04-2023, 02:49 PM
Look for a "true" 2 up machine, they usually have a longer wheel base and make it a little more stable on water bars. Power wise nothing below 400, anything above 700 will probably be a fuel guzzler. Power steering is a nice option especially if you do long technical trips. Check hrs vs mileage, i have 7300 km on my machine owned since new 352 hours. Although it is a SxS. Pack a small tool kit to with tire patches.

mauser
07-04-2023, 02:53 PM
I would also avoid buying Upgraded atv's in the used market. Snorkle kits, lift, spacers, big mudding tires, aftermarket exhaust. Usually a sign its been driven hard usually by young men.

tri777
07-04-2023, 03:23 PM
Just a side note, Kawasaki 750 BruteForce's are very cold blooded!
This is the biggest pet peeve of mine.
In minus temps when i need to plow out the driveway after a heavy snow, i start it, then return to house for 15mins while it warms up. And if it's around -27C or more, odds are it won't even start/just turns over.
(even when the cold start button on carb is pushed).

Other than living with it's tempermental personality in cold temps, it is a
'very good' quad with days of power at the thumbs disposal.

358mag
07-04-2023, 04:07 PM
. Beware of the Polaris hate cult.

There's a very good reason to listen to the Polaris hate cult , because there bang on . I own a 500 Polaris POS quad , the only thing nice about it is that it rides nice . Replace frt drive axles and hub-bearings , brake pad many times, steering linkage and pivots , take over a hour just to grease it as every grease zerk is hidden or in a next to impossible place to get to etc etc . Just getting to engine oil drain plug in and out is total bitch . Mines 2001 with just over 2000 miles and its not rat bagged driven .

tri777
07-04-2023, 04:13 PM
There's a very good reason to listen to the Polaris hate cult , because there bang on . I own a 500 Polaris POS quad , the only thing nice about it is that it rides nice . Replace frt drive axles and hub-bearings , brake pad many times, steering linkage and pivots , take over a hour just to grease it as every grease zerk is hidden or in a next to impossible place to get to etc etc . Just getting to engine oil drain plug in and out is total bitch . Mines 2001 with just over 2000 miles and its not rat bagged driven .

^^ These are the posts to pay attention to !
There's a massive difference between 'hate cult' V.S. Personal testimonies.

Bado20
07-04-2023, 11:15 PM
I can't speak beyond my own personal experience but I've been super happy with my Yamaha Kodiak 700. Starts easy every time even when its really cold, has more than enough power for me, imo EPS and diff locks definitely worth the extra money.

thompie505
07-05-2023, 12:26 AM
Budget is a big factor, if you can spend a bit more you’ll get a better machine. 5k vs 7k/8k will make a big difference. The market is still really strong but there’s some good deals that pop up on marketplace. I just bought a Honda 420 last year, it’s a great machine, the Yamahas are great too. The 400/500cc class won’t throw you back and scare you, but has plenty of power to hunt and get you where you need to go. This past year the 420’s fared much better than the 700’s in over a foot of snow. Honda has gears, most others are CVT. As many people have said, stay away from snorkels, big ass tires, and anything that has been ‘modded’.

HappyJack
07-05-2023, 05:53 AM

I've been a Polaris owner since 2001, my first was a 500 HO and I rode it until 2011 and the only problems I ever had with it were the temp sensor in the rad went once and one wheel bearing wore out and a few cv boots. Not bad for ten years of service. Now I'm driving a 2012 550 and the only failure was a cv boot, Polaris haters are just haters, my personal testimony says not bad over 20 years of atv riding.

MRP
07-05-2023, 07:16 AM
2008 500ho efi, 2009 400. Nothing but gas and oil, both still have original batteries. Put chains on front and back to drag out wood to heat my shop from across the pond in the winter. Not high mileage but not easy ones. That's my testimony.

Do wish I had power steering and a 2up. But I'm ready for anything.

Oooops forgot I did one prop shaft universal, probably from logging at -20.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20220720_153156596_copy_1008x756.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20201106_184707833_copy_1612x1209.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PXL_20210120_185708620_copy_1612x1209_2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/image49.jpeg

And the dog too

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PXL_20210728_173822557_copy_391x586.jpg

mauser
07-05-2023, 07:26 AM
Just a side note, Kawasaki 750 BruteForce's are very cold blooded!
This is the biggest pet peeve of mine.
In minus temps when i need to plow out the driveway after a heavy snow, i start it, then return to house for 15mins while it warms up. And if it's around -27C or more, odds are it won't even start/just turns over.
(even when the cold start button on carb is pushed).

Other than living with it's tempermental personality in cold temps, it is a
'very good' quad with days of power at the thumbs disposal.

Haven't had any problems with my 2008 and 2019 (both electric fuel injected) in cold weather.

Downwindtracker2
07-05-2023, 08:15 AM
Much like we found in past years on 4x4s, power steering is an absolute must. I don't have power steering and there are places I won't bother driving through unless I was dragging out game ! I have an '08 CanAm. But there are lots of old threads on ATVs. They are a great resource. My hunting partner had a sidexside for one season only !! and went back to a quad. His preference was Honda.

Gun Dog
07-05-2023, 12:54 PM
All ATVs must be registered and you get to pay sales tax as part of the transfer. You also have pay for a plate but it's one time. On Crown land you need at least $200K liability insurance (available from Beacon or Capri). ICBC also sells road insurance but it doesn't mean you can ride on a road. It's insurance for unloading in a parking lot or crossing a road. I don't bother with that since I don't spend time in the Lower Mainland where they might check. When you do the transfer the agent will tell you that you need insurance and will try to sell you the ICBC version.

You can check a VIN to see if it's stolen here (https://www.cpic-cipc.ca/sve-rve-eng.htm) (assuming it was reported).

And get power steering. If you're a standard sized human then 500cc is all you need.

A regular ATV is 4' x 7' and you'll need some way to load and transport it.

jac
07-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Honda 350-500, if you don’t mind a foot shift they are the most reliable. We have 35 of them for work most trouble free machines by far

2La
07-10-2023, 08:45 PM
I’ve got a 2007 Honda Forman 420. Aftermarket 2up. Comfy, easy to drive, easy on fuel, plenty of jam with 2 people, probably won’t win any mudbogs but it sat for 4 months and started like normal at -35. Only gripe is the electric shift, I think that could let a guy down eventually. Lots like the grizzly’s, they are a good bike too

steelheadSABO
07-10-2023, 10:25 PM
yamaha grizzly or suzuki king quad 700 and you can't go wrong

.330 Dakota
07-11-2023, 12:45 AM
I have 24 people working for me that use atvs and utvs constantly,,,some will argue this, but my experience is,,BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A POLARIS.
I recommend Yamaha in the 450cc range as the most reliable, I have 3 of them and one has 14000 kms on it without a repair of any kind, still works great.

TeeVee
07-11-2023, 09:04 AM
I have 24 people working for me that use atvs and utvs constantly,,,some will argue this, but my experience is,,BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A POLARIS.
I recommend Yamaha in the 450cc range as the most reliable, I have 3 of them and one has 14000 kms on it without a repair of any kind, still works great.

Good advice. I still have one sportsman left they are not built very well at all. Constant repairs but they do ride nice!

Redthies
07-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Honda 350-500, if you don’t mind a foot shift they are the most reliable. We have 35 of them for work most trouble free machines by far

I also have worked with fleets of Hondas at close to 30 per year (mostly 400 Foreman models). I would not buy anything else. We have absolutely flogged these machines and over the 32 years I’ve worked with them, I can count on one hand the number of mechanical failures not related to a crash. Fuel, oil, brakes and tires. That’s all they need.

Redthies
07-11-2023, 09:33 PM
I’ve got a 2007 Honda Forman 420. Aftermarket 2up. Comfy, easy to drive, easy on fuel, plenty of jam with 2 people, probably won’t win any mudbogs but it sat for 4 months and started like normal at -35. Only gripe is the electric shift, I think that could let a guy down eventually.

See my above post. We ran tons of ES models and I don’t ever recall a failure.

.330 Dakota
07-11-2023, 09:37 PM
Good advice. I still have one sportsman left they are not built very well at all. Constant repairs but they do ride nice!

We have a good relationship with a Polaris/Yamaha dealer. When I ask what the parts department does in sales for each it was quite interesting that the Polaris wheel bearings go constantly and in 10 years they had never sold or replaced one in a Yamaha. I have 4 Yamahas and I can attest that this is true

jac
07-11-2023, 09:39 PM
The honda ES can act up we had a number of problems with them, especially when they are wet all the time. They do have an emergency foot shifter that can be used when needed. Most of the failures came after years of hard use.

TeeVee
07-12-2023, 08:11 PM
We have a good relationship with a Polaris/Yamaha dealer. When I ask what the parts department does in sales for each it was quite interesting that the Polaris wheel bearings go constantly and in 10 years they had never sold or replaced one in a Yamaha. I have 4 Yamahas and I can attest that this is true
Yamaha certainly puts out quality machines. I have one Yamaha sled in the fleet and have never had a single issue other than the weight lol.
Now that they quit making snowmachines I wonder if the value will go down or up?

eric
07-12-2023, 08:33 PM
Had a Canam 2 up, smooth riding machine, some A hole wanted it more then me last fall, now I have a 2010 Honda 500 with the power strg, will never go back to arm strong strg again

Downwindtracker2
07-13-2023, 07:02 AM
You need independent rear suspension, a solid will flip you quicker. Another must is power steering . Nice to have is electronic fuel injection. I've helped fix two Yamahas and an Arctic Cat in the bush. I've also cleaned the grass seeds out of the rad on my '08 CanAm twice . The Yamaha Grizzly has a rep for doing back flips. I talked to one hunter with a big Kaw, his engine ******er had quit on him. That is super important on a quad. Damm the program just deleted the word for spark timing.

HappyJack
07-13-2023, 07:33 AM

I've been riding Polaris for over 20 years with only 1 bearing failure, someone is spinning a windy here and spreading bs.

REMINGTON JIM
07-13-2023, 07:41 AM
I've been riding Polaris for over 20 years with only 1 bearing failure, someone is spinning a windy here and spreading bs.

OH yea ! The Polaris Haters are a RABID Bunch . :tongue: RJ

tri777
07-13-2023, 09:01 AM
"..someone is spinning a windy here and spreading bs.."

More on that windy spinning..the comments are a good investment also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8xY3mVJxqI

358mag
07-13-2023, 01:23 PM

Pretty well sums it up Polaris " Engineered Backwards " Classic line
Same issues along with a few more that he didnt mention that I have on my 500 Sportsman POS

TeeVee
07-13-2023, 08:26 PM

This vid is bang on from what I've seen. Steer clear of arctic cat bikes as well, this advice will save you a ton of money down the road.

Downwindtracker2
07-14-2023, 07:12 AM
I had rather interesting conversation on the trail with fellow hunter. Always stop and B.S. I asked how he liked his quad. It was a Poo . He said this model was a good one. He had spent some time looking for one. He told me the advantages, which I promptly forgot. But he said the next year they cheapened that model, and it was no where near as good. Poos are built to a price point lower than the competition. For a low mileage once a year hunter, they likely can make sense.

REMINGTON JIM
07-14-2023, 08:07 AM
LOL ! :roll: RJ

HappyJack
07-15-2023, 05:22 AM
LOL ! :roll: RJ

Can you believe this BS? The haters are out in force. The fact is they are just butt hurt because they got suckered into paying way more for a machine that is no better than the Polaris machines, nobody likes to realize they have been suckered.

Bernie O
07-15-2023, 08:25 AM
A polaris will take you anywhere you want to go, If you want to be able to go back, Take a Honda.

Downwindtracker2
07-15-2023, 09:44 AM
If you are working it on a ranch, a Honda. Pleasure riding, a CanAm . A once a year hunter, a Poo. Good line Bernie. That's if the Honda has any fuel left.

ACE
07-15-2023, 10:16 AM
​How often should you change the belt drive on your Honda?

.330 Dakota
07-15-2023, 10:18 PM

Parts Dept at our local Polaris Dealer

.330 Dakota
07-15-2023, 10:23 PM
Can you believe this BS? The haters are out in force. The fact is they are just butt hurt because they got suckered into paying way more for a machine that is no better than the Polaris machines, nobody likes to realize they have been suckered.

LOL, had no idea they were cheaper, but I guess they should be. I paid cash and bought 4 Yamahas and dont regret it. If I paid more, never noticed, and I think you get what you pay for. Not a hater, just a realist. If youve had good luck with them, then thats great, and thats not sarcasm at all. I have a friend that owns a Forest Service Company. They bought about 40 Polaris atv's, approximately 10 years ago, now 24 of them are parts donors. I can only go on what I see and have personally experienced

interior
07-15-2023, 11:00 PM
Personally, I have nothing but positive things to say about both Yamaha and Honda. I’ve owned atvs and dirt bikes from them over the years and never had any major problems. I trust them to get me out of the bush safely. I do know some people who have had issues with their Polaris’ and Can-ams. However, I also know some who have 6000+ km on their Polaris’ and have never done anything but basic maintenance. I think there’s so many variables that account for major breakdowns such as riding style, terrain, and routine maintenance. Take care of your equipment and it will usually be reliable.

wiggy
07-29-2023, 06:51 PM
I’ve owned a bunch; been very hard on them The kawa was tough until I broke the frame The yami was great until it didn’t want to play anymore
bought a 800 2 up can am First couple trips I thought it was too loud 4000 hard km later I’m looking at buying another new one and still using this one It’s been rolled flipped floated down a raging river Things tough Definitely would not buy a non 2 up Its so more versatile The only thing I changed was I turned the battery around to make the positive easier to get to to charge up or boost

Bernie O
07-30-2023, 08:46 AM
easier to get to to charge up or boost ? This statement shows how reliable they are. Do you get your boost of a friend with a Honda or do you find a current bush?

TeeVee
07-31-2023, 04:28 PM
Who's gonna buy that new polaris xpedition? Looks like the 2 seater is $50,000 plus fees. Wonder what can am is gonna put out similar to the defender later in the august release?

ACE
07-31-2023, 04:36 PM
Who's going to buy that new Polaris Xpedition? Looks like the 2 seater is $50,000 plus fees. Wonder what CanAm is going to put out similar to the Defender later in the August release?

Who cares ?

RyoTHC
07-31-2023, 06:05 PM
I’ve owned a Honda and a Polaris.
the only one that let me down is the Honda.
The Polaris has been a joy since day one and the only issue was very minor when a ruck got stuck in the rad but that has nothing to do with the machine.

hawk-i
07-31-2023, 09:04 PM
I've got a couple of Polaris ATV's, one is a 450 sportsman, its only got about 5,000 kms on it. Its hauled out a lot of moose and I've only changed 1 spark plug so far.

Also have a 570 Midsize Ranger P/S model with over 14,000 KMS on...I've done 2 wheel bearings and a belt change on it....its taken out many moose, can haul a complete moose in 1 trip.

I'd have no qualms in buying any polaris atv model again.

Just my personal experience with Polaris and over 19,000 kms of BC backcountry...YMMV :)

REMINGTON JIM
07-31-2023, 10:09 PM
I've got a couple of Polaris ATV's, one is a 450 sportsman, its only got about 5,000 kms on it. Its hauled out a lot of moose and I've only changed 1 spark plug so far.

Also have a 570 Midsize Ranger P/S model with over 14,000 KMS on...I've done 2 wheel bearings and a belt change on it....its taken out many moose, can haul a complete moose in 1 trip.

I'd have no qualms in buying any polaris atv model again.

Just my personal experience with Polaris and over 19,000 kms of BC backcountry...YMMV :)

YUP ! 3 Polaris Quads ( 425 - 570 - 800 ) for me with a total of about 12000 Kms over the years . Being GREAT . RJ :-D:-D