PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat Question for you Guys that own them

.330 Dakota
07-02-2023, 11:52 AM
I have a friend that is buying a bigger boat. He wants me to buy his 19ft Outlaw, with a Kodiak 350 in it and a 2 stage Hamilton Drive. The boat is absolutely mint with hardly any hours on it and has the best of all options. I can buy this boat for 50K and its a 2012. My question is, just up on step what is the average fuel usage for a boat of this size and type? My reason for asking isnt $, but rather how far up a river and back I can go with how much fuel.
I have never owned a jet boat so I will be running very mild rivers until I get some experience. Suggestions on rivers like that are welcome as well as any other good tips, thanks Brad

justachip
07-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Fuel usage is very relative to how much weight you are packing and fast you are going.I can run up to Azure lake play around for the weekend fishing and make it about 1/2 way back down Clearwater lake on a single tank (35 us gal)That is 4 people and all of our camping gear. I am running a 5 liter ford with a 2 stage Hamilton on a 21 foot Wooldrige. The V8 boats are pretty good on fuel as long as you find the best on step RPM to run .Mine is around 3200 rpm that is around 35 kmh ish. Take it out and play with it and have some fun and burn some fuel and start to learn how to read water.The trick when you start in rivers is to go as slow as you can and stay on step it will buy you some time to make decisions. Also if you can run rivers upstream first its much easier read and everything comes at you slower and you can stop and look much easier.
Welcome to the Jet boat world

stoneramhunter
07-02-2023, 12:17 PM
I have a lot of buddies that own jet boats that hit most of the drainages up north. My observation of their fuel usage is interesting. all carry extra fuel in either 5 or 10 gallon containers and one buddy had a 45 gallon drum lol. half the guys would stash the fuel some where part way or at their base camp and others kept it with them. i guess from what i can gather is you can never have enough fuel:) im not a jet boat guy but thats what i have seen

MRP
07-02-2023, 02:56 PM
Extra fuel. A friend gave the government several hundred dollars up north in a ticket writing party of several branches of government enforcement for not having his empty cans tied down in the boat.

Marine Atlantic is responsible for the safe transport of fuel as per the Cargo, Fumigation and Tackle Regulations, Section 151 (1) (d) which states:
(d) the vehicle is carrying, outside the fuel tank, no more than 25 L of the fuel needed to propel it and the fuel is in a means of containment that:
(i) (ii) (iii) is designed for the carriage of that type of fuel, meets the requirements of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations for the means of containment, is secured within the vehicle, and
(iv) if a gaseous fuel is carried, is equipped with valves protected by valve caps.

tyreguy
07-02-2023, 03:49 PM
What model outlaw? Some outlaw boat designs are heavier such as a Muskwa or Lynx vs Clearwater.
Hami 2 stage so a 212?? Teflon bottom? Suspension seats?
Keep your impeller tight so it’s running most efficient, engine tuned and running peak.
I had 175 sportjet and running heaviest up to camp was max 12gal/hr but averaging 7-8, empty was around 5gal/hr.
Maybe ask your friend how much it burns, he should know.
Going hunting my boat was stripped of everything I didn’t need on the hunt. All options comment means weight to me.
19ft boat with a good Hamilton pump should be able to carry a pretty good load if packed properly

Patman7
07-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Fuel usage is very relative to how much weight you are packing and fast you are going.I can run up to Azure lake play around for the weekend fishing and make it about 1/2 way back down Clearwater lake on a single tank (35 us gal)That is 4 people and all of our camping gear. I am running a 5 liter ford with a 2 stage Hamilton on a 21 foot Wooldrige. The V8 boats are pretty good on fuel as long as you find the best on step RPM to run .Mine is around 3200 rpm that is around 35 kmh ish. Take it out and play with it and have some fun and burn some fuel and start to learn how to read water.The trick when you start in rivers is to go as slow as you can and stay on step it will buy you some time to make decisions. Also if you can run rivers upstream first its much easier read and everything comes at you slower and you can stop and look much easier.
Welcome to the Jet boat world
X2, I have the 350 kodiak with three stage Hamilton. Going up the muskwa past Vince’s camp loaded heavy I’ve burnt 140 gallons return.

.330 Dakota
07-02-2023, 07:56 PM
X2, I have the 350 kodiak with three stage Hamilton. Going up the muskwa past Vince’s camp loaded heavy I’ve burnt 140 gallons return.

Is that the Elbow camp? Ive been up that far in Doug Mckees boat, so I know how far that is

.330 Dakota
07-02-2023, 07:58 PM
What model outlaw? Some outlaw boat designs are heavier such as a Muskwa or Lynx vs Clearwater.
Hami 2 stage so a 212?? Teflon bottom? Suspension seats?
Keep your impeller tight so it’s running most efficient, engine tuned and running peak.
I had 175 sportjet and running heaviest up to camp was max 12gal/hr but averaging 7-8, empty was around 5gal/hr.
Maybe ask your friend how much it burns, he should know.
Going hunting my boat was stripped of everything I didn’t need on the hunt. All options comment means weight to me.
19ft boat with a good Hamilton pump should be able to carry a pretty good load if packed properly

No teflon, not sure of the model, Id have to ask,,11 stringers in the hull, 3/8 bottom, thats what I know

Patman7
07-02-2023, 08:01 PM
Just past creehan creek and sleeping chief mtn

jac
07-02-2023, 08:14 PM
My jet boat with a kodiak 350 had an American turbine and got 10-14gph

gitnadoix
07-02-2023, 11:12 PM
If your going to do some long trips it is definitely worth getting yourself a fuel flow meter and a gps and spend a few hours on a lake with a bunch 5 or 6 garbage cans filled with water on board ( to simulate your hunting gear and crew weight.) Then see what rpm is most economical for miles covered.

I had always run at 4100 with mine, it seemed to just hum along on step and sounded happy, until i did the economy test then I found that 4600 rpm was the economical sweet spot...that extra 400 rpm made a significant difference in range, even though that was running faster than you would think was logical. who knew

ryanb
07-03-2023, 08:07 AM
The boat will carry enough fuel to get you to the top end of all the major rivers. Keep your gear light and there should be no problem carrying enough fuel, but make sure you bring enough and then some...every year up north people get themselves in trouble by not bringing enough fuel. Test your boat loaded heavy so you know how much you're going to burn.

Once you get the hang of running rivers it's not hard to save 10-15% on fuel usage running upstream by smartly avoiding fighting the main current and wave trains as you head up the river.

nature girl
07-03-2023, 08:37 AM
.303 Dakota
For sure buy that boat. Jetboats are so much fun.
Do you live in the lower mainland or up north if you do not mind me asking.
What degree is the boat.
And if you do buy the boat happy jet boating.

Arctic Lake
07-03-2023, 10:37 AM
I like reading the posts on jet boat threads here on HBC it sounds like you fellas can explore some pretty remote country for hunting fishing camping . Would be awesome to get back in some great country camp under the stars and relax . What a life !
Lotto Max or 649 . You never know !
Arctic Lake

browningboy
07-03-2023, 09:54 PM
If you’re asking about economy, don’t buy it. Just being honest as boats are a waste of money and I owe two!

moosinaround
07-03-2023, 10:27 PM
If you’re asking about economy, don’t buy it. Just being honest as boats are a waste of money and I owe two!
Phuck, if the ole lady woudn't divorce me, I'd buy another boat in a second. I've never owned a jet boat , props only, but man to have a jet boat, what a dream. I'll be filling fuel tanks of others I think! I hear ya, fish/meat, gets expensive getting it by boat, but the adventure, priceless!!! Moosin

.330 Dakota
07-05-2023, 12:43 PM

No not asking about economy, just distance and fuel needed

.330 Dakota
07-05-2023, 12:44 PM
.303 Dakota
For sure buy that boat. Jetboats are so much fun.
Do you live in the lower mainland or up north if you do not mind me asking.
What degree is the boat.
And if you do buy the boat happy jet boating.

I live on Lac La Hache

browningboy
07-05-2023, 02:10 PM
No not asking about economy, just distance and fuel needed

I would say on average a V8 20-22ft boat, teflon etc will burn 8-12 GPH doing 30 mph, now if you get into supercharged or big blocks, that changes things