PDA

View Full Version : Moose draw 7-32A help please

Valdemar
07-02-2023, 10:08 AM
Hello every fellow hunters!
I was lucky enough to get a shared draw with my wife and son in the area From September 1st till 15th. I would be really thankful for any info to make this hunt successful . Never been in the area before but my original plan was anyway to explore around this part of the Peace region this fall. Every little bit of help really appreciated !!
Thank you in advance!

HappyJack
07-03-2023, 06:13 AM
Isn't that where Jackfish lake is? The Del Rio?

Valdemar
07-03-2023, 11:40 AM
Honestly I don't know, never been up there. I have to get a detailed map from somewhere as my backroad map is not as good. Actually just checked again and the area is from Chetwynd between Highway 29 and the Pine river all away up to MU7-34 and yes Jackfish lake is in there.

Valdemar
07-03-2023, 04:42 PM
Isn't that where Jackfish lake is? The Del Rio?
Hi there, yes Jackfish lake is in that area. 7-32A is between highway 29 and Pine river all the way up to MU 7-34.

kevingm1987
07-04-2023, 06:44 AM
A little early for Moose but you wont know if you don't try. Park the truck and walk, best advice I can give you

HappyJack
07-04-2023, 07:12 AM
Hi there, yes Jackfish lake is in that area. 7-32A is between highway 29 and Pine river all the way up to MU 7-34.

Lots of people hunt moose and elk around Jackfish lake, it's been a well known hunting area for many many years! I'd try in there first as that many hunters wouldn't have gone in there if it wasn't a hot spot.

HappyJack
07-04-2023, 07:14 AM
A little early for Moose but you wont know if you don't try. Park the truck and walk, best advice I can give you

We shot lots of moose in the Peace from August 15th right till the end of Sept, so not quite sure why you think it's too early for moose?

kevingm1987
07-04-2023, 08:16 AM
It was a little different in August with any bull. Rut usually starting end of September, so that would help. Chasing spike, tri or 10 in first 2 weeks of September will be tough.

We shot lots of moose in the Peace from August 15th right till the end of Sept, so not quite sure why you think it's too early for moose?

Valdemar
07-04-2023, 04:57 PM
It was a little different in August with any bull. Rut usually starting end of September, so that would help. Chasing spike, tri or 10 in first 2 weeks of September will be tough.
I know it's not going to be easy but I had moose bull coming in early mid September when I was calling elk in the Kootenay. I guess time will tell.

HappyJack
07-05-2023, 06:01 AM
I know it's not going to be easy but I had moose bull coming in early mid September when I was calling elk in the Kootenay. I guess time will tell.

They respond to calls much better last week of September on into October, most of the moose we took in August were shot in logging cuts. They go out and feed in them at night [especially if there is a water source] and then bed down. We would go to a high spot in the dark just before sunrise and sit on watch [glassing] till at least 11 am, the bedded moose will get up feed for a short while and then head for the timber. Look for a cut with fresh moose tracks and lots of willow bush, after the morning hunts we would just atv around and lots were shot that way. Alternatively you can hunt a water hole or mineral lick. Killing moose in August/September isn't all that hard really.

Valdemar
07-05-2023, 04:25 PM
Thank you HappyJack!

moosinaround
07-05-2023, 04:46 PM
PM sent. Moosinaround

Bigdoggdon
07-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Read the regs for the area. 3pt bull elk open, WT deer too. You'll likely see more of those than moose. Remember Mulies are Bow only, 4pt only in September. it's hot out stay near water. Lots of private land in the area, might not hurt to knock on a few doors.

HappyJack
07-06-2023, 06:48 AM
And there is a meat cutter right in Chetwynd so you can take your game right in for processing, especially if it's warm out. Russells Custom Meats.

Valdemar
07-06-2023, 07:20 AM
Thank you guy! I'll hunt hard !

Valdemar
07-19-2023, 07:22 AM
Good morning everyone! Maybe it is a stupid question but anyone has a private land owner friend or relative in 7-32A who would give permission to hunt on their land for LEH draw ?

srupp
07-19-2023, 12:56 PM
hmmm HAPPYJACK..gave you some very good intel..bulls will be trying to stay chilled,,wind and water,,,small SECLUDED lakes..the pond greens help antler growth..they probably wont respond to calling untill 26th ish....as HJ pointed out feed at night..early morning...then into the TIMBER to bed/rest/cool...lots of tips on hunting the timber..where the bulls bed.
Always willing to help send pm with phone number I would call you on my dime.
congrads
Steven

srthomas75
07-19-2023, 04:59 PM
I haven't been in that region for 10-15 years or so, but did 7-8 years in a row for moose hunting not far from the chetwynd pulp mill. What I remember most was the ability to walk the game trails. Many spots were like being on a park trail [ compared to where I go for moose in the Cariboo now ] Other friends of mine still go to the chetwynd area annually. mostly still hunting or sitting in a tree stand over a lick.

canadiancon
07-22-2023, 03:46 PM
Read the regs for the area. 3pt bull elk open, WT deer too. You'll likely see more of those than moose. Remember Mulies are Bow only, 4pt only in September. it's hot out stay near water. Lots of private land in the area, might not hurt to knock on a few doors.

You are right about bow only in September but it’s any size buck. 4 point only is in November.