PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunting 2023

stoneramhunter
07-01-2023, 12:35 PM
Getting ready for my sheep hunt region 7. Been working myself into shape seems to take longer every year lol. Heading into the mountains for the opening. Hopefully the weather eases up on the heat. This year is a drop off by bush plane and 2 day hike into my spot. For those wondering husquvarna 7mm mag 160 grain. rifle and pack 50 lbs. good luck everyone.

2chodi
07-01-2023, 12:42 PM
I haven't heard about what it's like in the mountains right now, but smoke could add some challenges.

Good luck.

stoneramhunter
07-01-2023, 12:45 PM
i had buddies flying around they say its not too bad and they have been seeing a lot of animals especially moose. Sucks when the smoke is thick been there done that several times.

Piperdown
07-01-2023, 12:50 PM
Getting ready for my sheep hunt region 7. Been working myself into shape seems to take longer every year lol. Heading into the mountains for the opening. Hopefully the weather eases up on the heat. This year is a drop off by bush plane and 2 day hike into my spot. For those wondering husquvarna 7mm mag 160 grain. rifle and pack 50 lbs. good luck everyone.

Looking forward to your report, how ironic on your choice of fire arm :) I will assume your rifle is unvaccinated and knows everything and barks really loud when fired

madcalfe
07-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Ill be boating into Tuchodi Aug 4th. looks like there's a 800 hectare fire between Tuchodi and Gatho

stoneramhunter
07-01-2023, 01:14 PM
I just had a look on the nasa fire sattelite current and its not showing any fire in the area? there was one a few weeks ago but it was closer to kluchesi and the other was to the south east closer to the highway.

eatram
07-01-2023, 01:17 PM
Happy to hear the report on the moose sightings. Good luck to you all. I'll bat cleanup once the turnstyles are empty. Aug 1 hunters are next level crazy. Stay safe all.

stoneramhunter
07-01-2023, 01:19 PM
also just had a look at the bc wildfire maps and its not showing fires in the area either hopfully that is the case.

RackStar
07-01-2023, 01:24 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

RackStar
07-01-2023, 01:25 PM
Looking forward to your report, how ironic on your choice of fire arm :) I will assume your rifle is unvaccinated and knows everything :)

now that’s some funny shit

Ltbullken
07-01-2023, 01:45 PM

I always get excited about sheep hunting, but a Husqvarna in a 7mm Rem Mag no doubt is really interesting!! Love my Huskys x 2!

For my part - our plan is to drive up to the operator, fly out on the 28th! We'll hike in 1 - 2 days depending on what we see!! Pack will be about 60lbs taking my Kimber Hunter 270 (140gr Accubond handload) sporting a Zeiss V4 4-16.

madcalfe
07-01-2023, 02:06 PM
I just had a look on the nasa fire sattelite current and its not showing any fire in the area? there was one a few weeks ago but it was closer to kluchesi and the other was to the south east closer to the highway.
is on the BC wildfire app is says its 5km North of beckman creek.

stoneramhunter
07-01-2023, 02:24 PM
is on the BC wildfire app is says its 5km North of beckman creek.

Yes i see that now not far from big nines "god's green acres camp" fortunatley no where near where im going.

Bustercluck
07-01-2023, 03:25 PM
As of right now the plan looks like I’m going in a group of four with my wife, brother and a good friend of ours. We’ll likely split up about 30kms back and I’ll hunt with my wife. We’re going later this year from sep 3-15 ish. Hopefully it doesn’t snow

decker9
07-02-2023, 07:59 AM
It looks like it’s going to be a thirsty year this year up high. Anyone else been watching the average snow/water index? This time last year we were over 100% in the peace, this year We’r already at zero (almost to zero in the Skeena / Nass.

Watching snow reports, the last two years shows a good amount of snow still for June where we’r flying to, this year looks next to nil on the satellite imagery. We’r planning our hunt around water supply this season.

cuervosail
07-02-2023, 11:11 AM
Good luck and I hope it's a successful hunt. I'm wondering about how dry it's going to be and being able to source water. My training plan has been derailed with a bout of bronchitis. Hopefully it can get back on track before we fly in at the end of August.

stoneramhunter
07-02-2023, 12:33 PM
I always get excited about sheep hunting, but a Husqvarna in a 7mm Rem Mag no doubt is really interesting!! Love my Huskys x 2!

For my part - our plan is to drive up to the operator, fly out on the 28th! We'll hike in 1 - 2 days depending on what we see!! Pack will be about 60lbs taking my Kimber Hunter 270 (140gr Accubond handload) sporting a Zeiss V4 4-16.

Really comfortable with my rifle. I've been hunting sheep with my Husky 7mm rem mag for at least 45 years, swarovski 3x9 scope , Mcmillan stock, fluted douglas barrel. Prior to that i had a 270 husky that i used.

2chodi
07-04-2023, 03:48 PM
For the boaters — reports are that the rivers are low already. Still enough water for now.

high horse Hal
07-05-2023, 09:13 AM
good sized fire near Turnagain/Ketchika

stoneramhunter
07-08-2023, 06:15 PM
19 days till i leave for my sheep hunt. Slowly putting my gear together and hoping it cools off a little or rains before I go lol. Fly in and good two day hike to my honey hole:) Been hiking every morning to get my legs in shape seems to be tougher every year lol.

LBM
07-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Why so many people go early, more bugs tougher to keep care of meat/hide etc more pressure
late may get weathered out but nicer capes, less pressure easier to look after meat
Those dark black capes from the muskwa late in season were just so nice.
last 2 weeks of season IMO.

mod7rem
07-08-2023, 07:28 PM
Why so many people go early, more bugs tougher to keep care of meat/hide etc more pressure
late may get weathered out but nicer capes, less pressure easier to look after meat

We've been going last two weeks in aug for quite a few years now, but before that we did probably 4 years in a row at last week aug and 1st week of sept. One trip before that we hunted sheep last 2 weeks of sept and that was great. Beautiful time of year.
I only hunted the first couple weeks in aug a couple times and it’s definitely not my favorite time to go. But the problem is hunting sheep later can interfere with other planned hunts so it’s tough to organize. Last 2 weeks in aug has been the compromise for a long time, but I would love to try a late September into October sheep hunt some time. The main problem is I hate being cold ha ha.

stoneramhunter
07-08-2023, 07:32 PM
I've been hunting sheep for over 50 years early season mid season and end of season. Never had a problem taking care of meat and cape in august. No question bugs are bad but worth it where im going. As far as pressure i rarely see anyone where im hunting. Yes i also like the darker capes i have a few nice ones posted in the the photo gallery. In fact a real dark one from the chizca area. Good luck if your going in

archerylife
07-08-2023, 09:14 PM
Sounds awesome stoneramhunter, wish I was coming with you! Lol I’m heading in early with my girlfriend and dogs, hopefully our little pack can seal the deal again. With an October solo hunt in my back pocket again if I still have a tag. 50 years, man I bet you got some good stories.

stoneramhunter
07-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Two weeks till i head out for my sheep hunt. Putting about 3 miles a day in hikes to adjust the body for my trip:) Rifle is sighted in slowly putting my gear together in my customized stone glacier pack.will pick up food few days before i leave. all the best to any sheep hunters heading out

Dre
07-13-2023, 09:01 PM
I’ll be going solo with my dog for the opener. Hike in off the hwy 4 days early, going in about a day and a half, maybe more. See what I find. Tweeted my back last weekend and it’s frustrating not being able to train with a pack. It’s getting better, hope it’s all good in the next few days here. 50lbs pack, custom rem700, 30/06, carbon IBI barrel, carbon stock, Leupy 3.5-10. Good luck to all.

REMINGTON JIM
07-13-2023, 09:34 PM
looking forward to your report, how ironic on your choice of fire arm :) i will assume your rifle is unvaccinated and knows everything and barks really loud when fired

lmffao ! :lol:

Ramhunter85
07-13-2023, 11:45 PM
I have been keeping an eye on the snow/water index. Luckily for us we are heading an spot we know well and holds water in certain areas regardless of snowpack levels. Going to be a battle for some people for sure.

Ramhunter85
07-13-2023, 11:54 PM

Ive gone august, sept and oct on sheep hunts. There are pros and cons to all options. The best part about early season is the long days and usually better weather. Been lucky with bugs and it isnt hard to get to spots that are less crowded. Lots of lazy sheep hunters

stoneramhunter
07-14-2023, 01:13 PM
Ive gone august, sept and oct on sheep hunts. There are pros and cons to all options. The best part about early season is the long days and usually better weather. Been lucky with bugs and it isnt hard to get to spots that are less crowded. Lots of lazy sheep hunters

lol so true

high horse Hal
07-14-2023, 09:25 PM
last 2 weeks of season IMO.imo the shorter looking fat necks with a good coat look better than the lean gazelle neck
fat neck and fat bases

BCbillies
07-15-2023, 03:51 PM
Going early extends the hunting season which isn’t a bad thing! A heavy crop of bugs brings the sheep to the higher elevations which makes them easier to locate. I would generally expect Aug 1st to be better for water conditions than Sept 1st but who knows this year.
Pulling out of town on July 26th with 80 lbs of gear for 15 days on the mountain. Sheep or no sheep it’s time to get away from the noise and listen to sound of silence!

jac
07-15-2023, 04:36 PM
I’m heading out July 27. Good luck and stay safe!!

358mag
07-15-2023, 07:54 PM
imo the shorter looking fat necks with a good coat look better than the lean gazelle neck
fat neck and fat bases

Well as one fine old timer taxidermist once said , anyone can mount a long haired late season ram and hide there mistakes , but it takes a real taxidermist to mount a early season ram .

LBM
07-15-2023, 09:08 PM
should be a few taken in the NWT today

decker9
07-15-2023, 09:10 PM
Heading in a few days after opener this season with my 10 y/o daughter, sheep hunt #3 for her. The area has a pretty good forest fire though, we may end up switching ideas I think. Been eyeballing a new region 6 spot we may take a look at. Then flying out on the 19th for another sheep trip in reg 7. Needless to say I’m looking forward to August.

LBM
07-15-2023, 09:14 PM
We've been going last two weeks in aug for quite a few years now, but before that we did probably 4 years in a row at last week aug and 1st week of sept. One trip before that we hunted sheep last 2 weeks of sept and that was great. Beautiful time of year.
I only hunted the first couple weeks in aug a couple times and it’s definitely not my favorite time to go. But the problem is hunting sheep later can interfere with other planned hunts so it’s tough to organize. Last 2 weeks in aug has been the compromise for a long time, but I would love to try a late September into October sheep hunt some time. The main problem is I hate being cold ha ha.
Ya cold can get to a guy pros and cons to all seasons I guess, I pretty much like hunting all things later in the seasons. We always hunted the first week of bighorns in the EK but never took one then the ones we got were always late.
Good luck if your heading out this year.

LBM
07-15-2023, 09:17 PM
Heading in a few days after opener this season with my 10 y/o daughter, sheep hunt #3 for her. The area has a pretty good forest fire though, we may end up switching ideas I think. Been eyeballing a new region 6 spot we may take a look at. Then flying out on the 19th for another sheep trip in reg 7. Needless to say I’m looking forward to August.

Good luck on the trips hope you find some thing with your daughter.

decker9
07-15-2023, 11:30 PM
Good luck on the trips hope you find some thing with your daughter.

Thanks LB!! She’s seen a few rams now, hopefully this year she’ll get to see a legal one :).

stoneramhunter
07-16-2023, 10:44 AM

best of luck!!!! i miss taking my son in when he was young. hope you connect

stoneramhunter
07-21-2023, 09:47 PM
6 daystill im officially leaving for my sheep hunt. Stone Galcier is packed. just got a few last items of food to pick up. To all sheep hunters be safe and best of luck! Cheers!

Weatherby Fan
07-21-2023, 09:49 PM
6 daystill im officially leaving for my sheep hunt. Stone Galcier is packed. just got a few last items of food to pick up. To all sheep hunters be safe and best of luck! Cheers!

thanks George, you take care and be safe as well buddy

dru88
07-21-2023, 10:02 PM
Good luck and be safe. Hope to hear about your hunt once you return .

HarryToolips
07-21-2023, 10:17 PM

Good luck man, hope you post pics upon your return.. you typically use horses for the first segment of the trail to your spot like in your avatar?

Bustercluck
07-21-2023, 10:32 PM
I have 6 weeks to get in shape. Things are out of sorts for me this year and I’m not in very good shape. I just went for a 6k run tonight and the squats start tomorrow.

Time is tickin….

stoneramhunter
07-21-2023, 10:56 PM
Good luck man, hope you post pics upon your return.. you typically use horses for the first segment of the trail to your spot like in your avatar?

\no horses this year. \having a buddy dropping me off by bush plane and a 2 day hike in from there

Jrax
07-22-2023, 06:41 AM
never too late! ive been working normal job, on fires and doing family summer camping, fishing and now holidays for last 4 weeks. No time for workouts, but at least i got a few months in prior. Hoping to get back on it in another 2 weeks haha

decker9
07-22-2023, 08:02 AM
best of luck!!!! i miss taking my son in when he was young. hope you connect

Thanks a bunch!! Good luck on your trip as well, im eager to see a big old ram when you return!! I’m not a very popular person this season, not taking my daughter on our fly in trip. Told her next year will be her plane ride lol :).

Our first trip this season has switched plans. Thinking we’ll shoot for the Alaska hwy. Of the 15’ish sheep hunts Iv been on, Iv never hiked off the hwy.

Going in blind has always brought the toughest hunts, but always bring the best memories. I have Yedhe in my mind, but other than a map, Iv no idea what we’r getting into, or really going.

cuervosail
07-22-2023, 04:37 PM
Best of luck. I look forward to hearing about it after you come out and before I head in.

HarryToolips
07-22-2023, 08:14 PM
\no horses this year. \having a buddy dropping me off by bush plane and a 2 day hike in from there

Right on, and good luck...

Bubbacanuck
03-14-2024, 11:42 AM
I'm curious how everyone did last year. Sheep hunting is still high on my list and one day I know I will get out there and spend time in the mountains chasing them. Lots of prep from several guys last year, curious on how successful everyone was with harvesting a legal ram?

decker9
03-15-2024, 06:11 AM
I'm curious how everyone did last year. Sheep hunting is still high on my list and one day I know I will get out there and spend time in the mountains chasing them. Lots of prep from several guys last year, curious on how successful everyone was with harvesting a legal ram?

Had a new partner last year and flew to a new area. Seen quite a few sheep, passed on a couple rams that were just at full curl, but young. Going back this year with a few more days added on, hoping to get in a bit further in hopes of finding older rams.

Post images site seems not to be working today, caught a few good pics last season.

dapesche
03-15-2024, 07:52 AM
we managed to get this old guy .... sorry, I can't figure out how to make the pictures smaller
https://i.imgur.com/kCjeMea.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/S9I0Rwj.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/ngQqNNA.jpeg

Imdone
03-15-2024, 10:25 AM
Good looking heavy Ram down low, old boy.
Congrats.
Good luck to those of us the beautiful Sheep ranges this year.

BCbillies
03-19-2024, 07:11 AM

First time in 24 years where I didn’t see a ram. New area for me but it has a solid history for rams, went deep, saw nobody and had a great time. I don’t need to shoot another ram but man is it hard to resist the lure of sheep country.

Bubbacanuck
03-19-2024, 08:09 AM
we managed to get this old guy .... sorry, I can't figure out how to make the pictures smaller

I saw the youtube video, you guys worked hard for that ram! Congrats! PS love the podcast

Bubbacanuck
03-19-2024, 08:10 AM
First time in 24 years where I didn’t see a ram. New area for me but it has a solid history for rams, went deep, saw nobody and had a great time. I don’t need to shoot another ram but man is it hard to resist the lure of sheep country.

Last year was the first year I've chased mountain goats and I appreciate all the help you provided. I was happy to get on goats and some really nice billies but I refrained from taking a shot I was not confident in being able to recover the goat from. Great experience and I look forward to another backcountry hunt

dapesche
03-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last year was the first year I've chased mountain goats and I appreciate all the help you provided. I was happy to get on goats and some really nice billies but I refrained from taking a shot I was not confident in being able to recover the goat from. Great experience and I look forward to another backcountry hunt

agree. Marvin is tremendous resource. He's an 'ok' guy. :)

glad you listened to the podcast. Dev and Curt do a great job.

LBM
03-20-2024, 06:23 PM
Beautiful ram dapesche

358mag
03-21-2024, 02:57 PM

Congrats great ram !!!!!!!!!
Any link to your you tube video ?

dapesche
03-21-2024, 07:29 PM
Video part 1: https://youtu.be/eVaF-hIFbQw?si=-tFSl8xoUBLv3XYC

Video part 2: https://youtu.be/8xH8-O2hrfg?si=3f0rlZntER07u7Yt

Evanguy
03-22-2024, 10:04 AM
Nice man. I'm excited to watch them. I just booked my flights for my sheep hunt this year. I have no friends in BC since moving here and living on an small island but my daughter(12) comes with me. We got a goat in Mt Edziza 2 years ago go.

dapesche
03-23-2024, 08:22 AM
Nice man. I'm excited to watch them. I just booked my flights for my sheep hunt this year. I have no friends in BC since moving here and living on an small island but my daughter(12) comes with me. We got a goat in Mt Edziza 2 years ago go.

well done. Your daughter is a tough nut!
Best of luck.

You should share your Edziza Goat story with the community in a different thread if you have some pics and a story to tell.

Evanguy
03-23-2024, 08:37 AM
well done. Your daughter is a tough nut!
Best of luck.

You should share your Edziza Goat story with the community in a different thread if you have some pics and a story to tell.

Thanks and she sure is. This year we are going for 12 days Here's the thread, lots of reading and lots of pics

https://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?171988-Evanguy-s-first-successful-big-game-hunt

Evanguy
03-26-2024, 09:11 AM
Video part 1: https://youtu.be/eVaF-hIFbQw?si=-tFSl8xoUBLv3XYC

Video part 2: https://youtu.be/8xH8-O2hrfg?si=3f0rlZntER07u7Yt

Man after watching them I had to come back and tell you how good they were. I've watched pretty much every non guided BC goat and sheep hunt on YouTube and yours it top notch. Nice work

dapesche
03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Man after watching them I had to come back and tell you how good they were. I've watched pretty much every non guided BC goat and sheep hunt on YouTube and yours it top notch. Nice work

thanks a lot! hopefully we can get some more hunts filmed. Great to share and makes for an awesome memory.

mod7rem
04-01-2024, 09:52 PM
Partner and I tried a different area this year. In two weeks we found goats, elk and moose in the valleys, lots of grizzlies high and low, and some sheep. Not a lot of sheep, but mostly rams. No other resident hunters but did run into a friendly young guide bringing an American hunter in for goats. He had already finished a couple sheep hunts.
My partner shot a 9 yr old ram in the second week but we didn’t find any other legal rams.
New area for us, great weather, lots of sweat and a great trip.