PDA

View Full Version : Moose: Should I leave the rifle at home?

Lozzie
06-29-2023, 03:43 PM
The old adage is that if you take the rifle and the bow, you will always grab the rifle. My group of 3 has been fortunate enough to draw 2 bulls in region 7 this year. My group of two drew a bull last year as well. I managed to call a bull in to 20 yards and the .06 put him down last year. Before that I’ve shot two other bulls under 60 yards with the rifle . My question is, now that I have a few bulls under my belt with the rifle and I really want my hunting partners to get their first bull, should I opt to just take the bow this year? Just to be clear I am very proficient with the bow and willing to put in the practice to be certain. Knowing I’m not likely to be drawn again for awhile for moose should I limit myself to the bow/ limit myself to the 60 yard range of a bow? I think getting a bull with the bow would be a real confidence booster to my archery abilities but also don’t want to limit myself because it’s about food for the group. I’m torn, for those that bow hunt these monster bulls I value your insight.

J_T
06-29-2023, 04:09 PM
Hunt with the bow every day you hunt. It's a different experience and shouldn't/can't be compared beyond the range of the weapon. Offering my opinion, 60 yards is a long shot for a short range weapon.

If you are group hunting hunt with your bow. If the shot is a long one, let the riflemen take it. If it's coming in hot, noc an arrow.... Good luck

moosinaround
06-29-2023, 04:11 PM
This is a question to ask the other 2 people in the group. They are splitting costs with you for the hunting trip. They would probably be a bit sad if you could have killed it with a rifle, but you didn't because you wanted a bow kill and it would come in closer?! Moose LEH's are not a dime a dozen anymore, for most folks anyways! just my .02! Moosin

Lozzie
06-29-2023, 04:43 PM
The fellas I’m going with wouldn’t mind I’m sure. However as the “lucky one” I would regret being off on my own only to find myself 300+ yards from a bull that won’t come any closer. Weeping and gnashing of teeth when you get back to camp I’m sure.

Night Hawk 3
06-29-2023, 05:45 PM
I'd bring both, and I often do.

60 yards or 60m depending on how you sight-in, is entirely do-able if you are a good shot with a clear shooting lane and an animal that is totally unaware of your presence. Been there, done that with a mule deer and it was a really effective kill - better than most of my closer in kills with a bow.

Depending on where you're going in Region 7, bulls can be quite calm and not bothered by the presence of hunters so much, especially surrounding the rut. A tree stand or calling them in with a partnered caller/shooter set-up might be very effective. However, they won't hang around long after calling them in if there is no cow or challenger to keep them curious.

I have literally almost walked right up to them when the wind was in my favour and I had some pretty basic cover, yet other times they are on full alert and run off quickly. Last year after I shot my bull, other moose kept hanging around very close to me while I retrieved it and were more curious about me being there than afraid of me - often being within 30 yards.

NH3

TheObserver
06-29-2023, 07:12 PM
I would hunt with the bow, and have a rifle slung over my back in case.

Ron.C
06-29-2023, 07:17 PM
In the end, if cutting tags is the most important thing to you, take the rifle.

If you want the added challenge, giver! It's not always about the kill.

Gateholio
06-29-2023, 07:20 PM
Hunt with the bow every day you hunt. It's a different experience and shouldn't/can't be compared beyond the range of the weapon. Offering my opinion, 60 yards is a long shot for a short range weapon.

If you are group hunting hunt with your bow. If the shot is a long one, let the riflemen take it. If it's coming in hot, noc an arrow.... Good luck

I think this is good advice, assuming you are going to be with another member of your group with a rifle.

Days you hunt alone, maybe take the rifle, days you are with a partner, take the bow.

wideopenthrottle
06-29-2023, 08:14 PM
if you are together you could team up with the rifleman calling from behind you then do either or if it hang up too long..the other guy would need to be patient too though to give you a chance

Legacy Solocam
06-30-2023, 07:47 AM
I would take both. I find I like to hunt the mornings with a bow which gives me lots of daylight for tracking if the moose goes any distance after the shot. In the evening I switch to rifle for a quick knockdown hopefully. If there is rain which could wipeout a blood trail I also switch to the rifle. Definitely something to get a moose with the bow so put some effort in with it.

sthdslayer
06-30-2023, 08:44 AM
Ive taken my bow on many moose hunts however the 2 bulls I killed with the bow where when I left the rifle at home. When I had both and a moose at 80 yds I grabbed the rifle instaed of working to get the animal closer

landphil
06-30-2023, 08:51 AM
Would you be OK with watching a nice bull wander away at 80 yards? If you can honestly answer “yes”, then leave the boom stick. If no, take it, or pair up with one of the group when you’re packing the bow.

Some of my best hunting memories are the ones where a legal animal didn’t end up in my freezer, the ones that got away because things just didn’t work out quite right. They don’t taste as good though. :lol:

Redthies
06-30-2023, 09:09 AM
I’m not a fan of archery. There. I said it.

I did however take last seasons whitetail in the “overtime” season with a bow. In my world, rifles are the best bet for putting food in the freezer (your stated goal) and the best option for a quick, clean kill. A “bang-flop” is 90% more likely than a “twang-flop” in my experience.

Hunt with your bow if you have a rifle shooter along, and your rifle if solo.

338edgehunter
07-03-2023, 02:46 AM
Rifle Fore sure but if your constantly with another person carry the bow and if it's just out of range dust it with the rifle.

hunterdon
07-03-2023, 05:44 PM
So far, you've received some great advice from some experienced and knowledgeable hunters.

All I can add is this. The fact that you are asking the question sounds to me like your heart is telling you to take that leap. So, since as you stated you already took a bull just last year with rifle, it really isn't that big of a deal IF you don't score again, 2 years in a row.

But, IF you do decide to go with bow only this year, AND you do score, it will be much more rewarding, in my humble opinion. It really is up to you to decide.

Keep JT's words in mind and don't make the mistake many bow hunters make. An animal IS NOT a stationary target. No matter how proficient you are at hitting a bulls eye, on those longer shots with bow, that arrow takes time to hit the mark, giving that animal time to react and move. Rarely a problem with rifle. You don't want to wound a big animal like moose or you memory of that hunt will not be so good.

I would go for it.