PDA

View Full Version : Wells Grey moose LEH Tag

Salvie
06-28-2023, 12:38 PM
Anyone have information on Wells Grey provincial park. Looks like only easy way out is raft if successful with moose.

shuswapfisher
06-28-2023, 12:45 PM
I would also be interested to learn if anyone on here has done it successfully. I imagine if they have, they probably are not willing to share info, as the tags are so easy to get. I personally would not apply for it, as if you do get it, the chances of killing a moose are so low, and then you will have badluck for the following three years. Would be cool to actually do it for a few years and try to figure it out tho.

browningboy
06-28-2023, 01:56 PM
If that's 3-46, then better get a boat as you have to get into the Azure, careful too as you have to boat in the river connecting the lakes, about 1.5 km's, thick country and basically have to watch the shorelines early mornings and afternoons, you could hike but OMG it would be thick!

HarryToolips
06-28-2023, 10:16 PM
Anyone have information on Wells Grey provincial park. Looks like only easy way out is raft if successful with moose.

Raft FSR is in WMU 3-40, so no you won't access 3-46 that way.. there's only one main road into the park - Clearwater Valley rd, and I believe the portion of the road in WMU 3-46 has a 400 m no shooting rule each side of the road.. the park is quite beautiful in November though, and worth checking out.. good luck..

mike31154
06-29-2023, 11:45 AM
Winter 2011 I was in the park on a backcountry ski touring trip. Trophy Chalet, run by Wells Gray tours. The company organizes trips around the world as well as local. Might be worthwhile to get in touch with them to pick their brains on the terrain you're interested in.

I've been on many ski touring trips & most of them are heli access only in winter. This one was unique in that they transported us a long way by Tucker Snow Cat to a trailhead where we toured in on skis the rest of the way. On the way out we skied down to the trailhead to meet the cat coming in with the next group. There was 1 heli lift to get our food & supplies in for the week. One of our group hitched a ride in it vs touring in with us. If not mistaken the route in on the Tucker was Spahats Creek FSR running between the Raft range & the south park boundary. Not maintained in the winter past a certain point, hence the need for the snow cat. Open valley between the ranges but things get steep, gnarly & thick on either side.

The Tucker at the trailhead. It was a long ride in the noisy, smelly beast.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2146664&authkey=%21AP7xt7AaIJB4b64&width=1024&height=999999

The Raft range from Trophy Chalet. One of our days involved skiing down into the valley & touring up Mid mountain below the Raft range. Then back to Trophy.....loooong day.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2132977&authkey=%21ANf_90876Mui55A&width=1024&height=999999

I recall the trip as one of the best for powder skiing, steep & deep. Be prepared for winter conditions starting October.

Redthies
06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Did they pay YOU to ride into camp in that dinosaur?? That is one sorry ass Tucker:shock:

HappyJack
06-30-2023, 08:44 AM
I might have to apply for a tag there next year, just so I can say that I won an leh draw for moose.

mike31154
06-30-2023, 09:44 PM
Did they pay YOU to ride into camp in that dinosaur?? That is one sorry ass Tucker:shock:

Haha, nope we paid.... the thing was sad for sure, held together with baling wire. Kept missing shifts so going was at a snail pace. Might have been faster on skis but not hauling the load it did... Ear defenders were a must....