PDA

View Full Version : 4-38B Revelstoke Goat help

shuswapfisher
06-27-2023, 12:02 PM
Hey everyone. Was lucky enough to draw 4-38B Revelstoke goat. I’ve been trying to win this draw for a few years now and am super pumped it came together this year. I have not done any in person scouting of this area, but for the past couple years I’ve done lots of e scouting in hopes of pulling this tag. I live in Kamloops so this draw seemed like a good choice for location, and actually having a chance at drawing.

what I am hoping someone could help me out with is where would be a good spot to start with access into goat country. This seems to be the hardest part in regards to e scouting this area. I will have my truck and a quad for this hunt this fall and as I already have some other week long hunts planned, will be taking off a few fridays and mondays and doing long weekend trips trying to get a goat killed. Again, any information from past people who have hunted this unit, or have any knowledge on where to start for access would be great. I’ll also be out there next month looking around and trying to figure it out

thanks!

monasheemountainman
06-27-2023, 01:01 PM
look way up it is some gnarly fkuin country but also unreal and you will see them. getting to them is up to you

one-shot-wonder
06-27-2023, 05:30 PM
With only weekends or short trip windows, do you self a favour and focus on October to kill a Billy that still should be haired out. I spent many weeekdns in November drinking coffee round a campfire wishing the low clouds would lift. Try to capitalize on better weather in the earlier mid season.

Be prepared for pushing Bush and alder slides to gain elevation. Goat hunting is fun and rewarding, just put in the time and effort...

dapesche
06-27-2023, 06:42 PM
Agreed. I waited to long on my last draw and we got snowed out.

I also killed my first goat in november and he was shaggy but that hunt took A LOT of trail prep to make it happen due to snowpack.

If you've struggled to get this draw, don't let the opportunity slip because you want the perfect trophy.

I'd be bookmarking all the webcams at 1600+m elevation so you can keep tabs on snow levels.

Good luck. Be safe. Have fun.

high horse Hal
06-28-2023, 08:32 AM
Viewing can even be tough in some of those narrow valleys, tough to see anything up top unless looking far away through a narrow sight picture on a curve in the road
Later is better as the snow definetely pushes goats down where they are more viewable and more accessible, but then crampons are mandatory

J_T
06-28-2023, 10:21 AM
^^ agree with this. I've always hunted goats the first week of November. Lots of glassing as they move down. Morning glassing and move up on them quickly. In November they have their best coat on them. I've worn caulk books a couple of times, as they hold well on snowy slippery rock.

Take a good rope....

kevingm1987
06-28-2023, 11:15 AM
You would think one would of found a weekend to scout the area if you chased the draw for a "few years now"...

Hey everyone. Was lucky enough to draw 4-38B Revelstoke goat. I’ve been trying to win this draw for a few years now and am super pumped it came together this year. I have not done any in person scouting of this area, but for the past couple years I’ve done lots of e scouting in hopes of pulling this tag. I live in Kamloops so this draw seemed like a good choice for location, and actually having a chance at drawing.

what I am hoping someone could help me out with is where would be a good spot to start with access into goat country. This seems to be the hardest part in regards to e scouting this area. I will have my truck and a quad for this hunt this fall and as I already have some other week long hunts planned, will be taking off a few fridays and mondays and doing long weekend trips trying to get a goat killed. Again, any information from past people who have hunted this unit, or have any knowledge on where to start for access would be great. I’ll also be out there next month looking around and trying to figure it out

thanks!

shuswapfisher
06-28-2023, 01:51 PM
Couldnt justify the gas money, lots of over the counter areas to explore and pick apart that took priority as they are garunteed each and every year. Who knows, i could go and explore 4-38, not draw for 10 years and then all of a sudden they cancel all tags and there was no point.

kevingm1987
07-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Couldnt justify the gas money, lots of over the counter areas to explore and pick apart that took priority as they are garunteed each and every year. Who knows, i could go and explore 4-38, not draw for 10 years and then all of a sudden they cancel all tags and there was no point.

Take a bear tag and go. Spent one weekend looking for bear exploring an area for sheep. Draw is over 1:100. Didn’t get a bear but saw sheep. Still waiting for the draw. No weekend is wasted. The country was awesome, trip was good.

high horse Hal
07-05-2023, 08:21 AM
Couldnt justify the gas money, lots of over the counter areas to explore and pick apart that took priority as they are garunteed each and every year. Who knows, i could go and explore 4-38, not draw for 10 years and then all of a sudden they cancel all tags and there was no point.Good thing its close to home, you'll need at least one trip to figure out access and confirm your googling picture. A couple roads have gates due to mining interests controlling traffic, might have to do some phoning for access permission.

tylerduce
09-23-2023, 11:09 AM
Go earlier in the season. September or October. Better weather and easier access. Good luck.