PDA

View Full Version : Arctic’s 7-25 Moose Draw 2023

Arctic Lake
06-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Unbelievable ! My buddy and I drew an LEH Bull Moose for 7-25 . We had this draw years ago and posted a thread but can’t find it to check out what you fellas had to say about locations ? We did not get a moose and only saw one taken and never saw any others except for one cow . I think we went the first week of October maybe we should have went the second week .

As when I hunted moose just North of Prince George always went the second week of October and did well .

I know about rut hunting and I’m a successful moose caller .

We hunted near Cripple Lake off the Germansen Road that previous draw .

I’m looking for help as to what area in 7-25 do you think would be our best shot ,pardon the pun !

So any help would be greatly appreciated and good luck to all of you this season !

Arctic Lake

kevingm1987
06-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Don't know anything about the area, but around that PG line of latitude, I always liked oct 4-14, been good to me and the group I hunt with. You will deal with the Thanksgiving long weekend warriors but that's just part of the game.

Good luck

Arctic Lake
06-27-2023, 09:12 PM
I tried a search to try and find the thread I had a few years ago on 7-25 but no luck . I had quite a few replies from fellas with suggestions on what parts of 7-25 might be good , but as mentioned I can’t find it .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-28-2023, 06:08 PM
If anyone would care to help out on what area in 7-25 would be best , it would be greatly appreciated ! As mentioned when we got the draw a few years ago we hunted East of Cripple Lake and only saw 2 moose .
Arctic Lake

MissKona
06-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Hey there, we got the same shared hunt. Been an amazing area for the family over the years. Just know your timing. Pull the average weather charter for last few years. You’ll find temp drops to 0 on average Oct 6-9 over last five years. Know your boundaries if your on the 6-6 side of 7-25 as cummingham fsr is just a guideline not actual boundary. Good luck to on your hunt.

Arctic Lake
06-28-2023, 09:01 PM
Miss Kona . Do you usually go on those dates listed ? Any info you would like to share I’m listening as this will only be our second time there . Last time was quite a few years ago . We were on the East side of Cripple Lake
Arctic Lake
Hey there, we got the same shared hunt. Been an amazing area for the family over the years. Just know your timing. Pull the average weather charter for last few years. You’ll find temp drops to 0 on average Oct 6-9 over last five years. Know your boundaries if your on the 6-6 side of 7-25 as cummingham fsr is just a guideline not actual boundary. Good luck to on your hunt.

MissKona
06-29-2023, 05:49 AM
Go to wunderground.com type in Fort st James and you can get past weather, just know that it is actually PG Airport weather station. It gives a good measure of past. Cripple lake is further than us. We’re on other side of Stuart lake bordering with 6-6 area. Warmer weather seems to stay later and later into fall. Our goal is to up there just before that shift in weather. Cheers

Arctic Lake
06-29-2023, 07:41 PM
To all you fellas who have viewed this thread . I used to always hunt an hour North of Prince George for moose . Always went the week of Thanksgiving and did well when cow calling for a bull . Went a week earlier twice and nothing .

Peak rut is last 2 weeks of September 1 st 2 weeks of October

If I’m now going to be hunting West of Prince George but basically on the same line of latitude the dates should be good as well ?
I love moose hunting and we would really like to connect this year . I’m not getting any younger !
Arctic Lake

HappyJack
06-30-2023, 08:47 AM
Should be perfect timing, 50+ years of moose hunting experience up there says so.

moosinaround
06-30-2023, 10:27 AM
Shot many mooose last week of Sept, first week of Oct. Last year we had moose calling back Sept 25, shot Oct 4. We worked the same moose in the same area for 3 days before we killed him. First light cow call, 30 seconds later dead moose. I have shot moose earlier, and I have shot moose later, but most have been in that 2 week period from last week of sept to end of first week Oct. This is observations from over 30 yrs of moose hunting in Northern BC. before the stupid LEH up in the Peace, if we didnt get a local LEH around PG, we would go up north and bag a 2, 3, or10 moose the last week of Sept, till the rut closure! Moosin

Arctic Lake
07-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Thank You !
Arctic Lake
Should be perfect timing, 50+ years of moose hunting experience up there says so.

Arctic Lake
07-01-2023, 12:02 PM
Thank You !
I’m just wanting to reaffirm what I think I already know as you don’t get a Bull draw that often ! I’m just now trying to pick the best area in 7-25 for success ! I have had great luck with calling in the past .
Arctic Lake
T
Shot many mooose last week of Sept, first week of Oct. Last year we had moose calling back Sept 25, shot Oct 4. We worked the same moose in the same area for 3 days before we killed him. First light cow call, 30 seconds later dead moose. I have shot moose earlier, and I have shot moose later, but most have been in that 2 week period from last week of sept to end of first week Oct. This is observations from over 30 yrs of moose hunting in Northern BC. before the stupid LEH up in the Peace, if we didnt get a local LEH around PG, we would go up north and bag a 2, 3, or10 moose the last week of Sept, till the rut closure! Moosin

moosinaround
07-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Thank You !
I’m just wanting to reaffirm what I think I already know as you don’t get a Bull draw that often ! I’m just now trying to pick the best area in 7-25 for success ! I have had great luck with calling in the past .
Arctic Lake
T
If I had a bush visa, I'd kill a bull moose every year!! I play with several bull moose every year, love that grunting, and willow raking!! Good luck Arctic!! Moosin

Arctic Lake
07-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Thanks Moosin ! I’m excited to say the least , been a while since I had a moose down .
Arctic Lake
If I had a bush visa, I'd kill a bull moose every year!! I play with several bull moose every year, love that grunting, and willow raking!! Good luck Arctic!! Moosin

Arctic Lake
07-03-2023, 09:33 PM
If you fellas want a good moose story I need to get a moose to tell one ! LOL !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
07-05-2023, 08:57 PM
I will try again . Where in 7-25 would you go ? Northern ,Southern , Western, Eastern . I’m thinking there are quite a few lakes in the South East portion ,moose don’t like to be too far from water . Are there lots of cabins on those lakes ?
I will list some tomorrow.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

HappyJack
07-06-2023, 06:44 AM
I'd make sure not to be too close to a reserve those areas get more pressure.

Arctic Lake
07-06-2023, 07:57 AM
I will do my homework and make sure we are a distanced from there .
Thanks Happy Jack
Arctic Lake
I'd make sure not to be too close to a reserve those areas get more pressure.

Arctic Lake
07-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Hoping for some feedback !
Thanks
Arctic Lake
I will try again . Where in 7-25 would you go ? Northern ,Southern , Western, Eastern . I’m thinking there are quite a few lakes in the South East portion ,moose don’t like to be too far from water . Are there lots of cabins on those lakes ?
I will list some tomorrow.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
07-15-2023, 07:57 AM
I have gotten a couple of PM’s from some fellas on here regarding our upcoming hunt so Thank You !
Im looking at all options in 7-25 . Would any of you fellas concentrate on one area more than another as in North , South,East or West ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
07-15-2023, 08:24 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?128866-7-25-leh-moose-draw

Arctic Lake
07-15-2023, 09:07 AM
Hey RJ ! I just looked at that thread and another I started way back in 2016 . Looking for new ideas or thoughts Thanks for posting ! This thread
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?126681-Northern-half-of-7-25Arctic Lake
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?128866-7-25-leh-moose-draw

Arctic Lake
09-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Just took a look at the BC Wildfire map . It seems there are 2 fires burning in 7-25 or close to it . Sure hope we can still hunt there as it would be a shame to loose the LEH draw . Of course I’m sympathetic to all that have lost their homes and property this season and hope there are no cabins or recreational property being lost in that area !
Arctic Lake

RackStar
09-04-2023, 11:41 AM
You’ll be able to hunt in 7-25 it’s a very large area with lots of access

Arctic Lake
09-04-2023, 03:28 PM
Sure hope so RackStar ! I’m thinking maybe the fires will move the animals around . I’m not sure how far they move away from an active fire .
Arctic Lake
You’ll be able to hunt in 7-25 it’s a very large area with lots of access

Arctic Lake
09-16-2023, 09:20 AM
Does anyone on here know SitkaSpruce I hope all is well with him !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-16-2023, 09:32 AM
My buddy has not been able to get back out into 7-25 to check out potential hunting spots . I have done quite a bit of Google Earthing to look at areas . It is in my opinion difficult to decent what could be willow patches around bodies of water ?
Some of those streams they call rivers are in my opinion creeks .
im thinking a lot of them might be dried up maybe even some of the small lakes
Any information from you fellas that live up that way would be great .
Moose will not be far from water and there is the fire in 7-14 Great Beaver Lake that may have pushed animals North into7-25 .
Lots-of questions as usual .
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

RackStar
09-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Pm sent …..

dirtymax
09-17-2023, 06:20 AM
Best of luck on your hunt in 7-25! We have a draw for 7-24 and the fire maps are NOT looking optimistic for the region with most of it on evacuation alert/order…

Redthies
09-17-2023, 07:44 AM
Good luck guys! My moose draw is 3-26 which has had fires (Adams Lake fire) but luckily not in the areas I am going to hunt. I’ll keep my fingers crossed you get to do your hunts, and of course that everyone who lives up there is safe and sound!

Arctic Lake
09-17-2023, 08:19 AM
Good luck to you !
Arctic Lake
Best of luck on your hunt in 7-25! We have a draw for 7-24 and the fire maps are NOT looking optimistic for the region with most of it on evacuation alert/order…

Arctic Lake
09-17-2023, 08:19 AM
Good Luck to you !
Arctic Lake
Good luck guys! My moose draw is 3-26 which has had fires (Adams Lake fire) but luckily not in the areas I am going to hunt. I’ll keep my fingers crossed you get to do your hunts, and of course that everyone who lives up there is safe and sound!

Redthies
09-17-2023, 08:08 PM
Thanks AL!

Arctic Lake
09-17-2023, 08:44 PM
Sheesh I’m not happy at the temperatures in the North ! If a fella gets something going to need to find a cooler pronto .
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
09-17-2023, 09:00 PM
Sheesh I’m not happy at the temperatures in the North ! If a fella gets something going to need to find a cooler pronto .
Arctic Lake

So on that note, I have a butcher friend who says that when Temps are high, if you can find a creek, get the meat submerged for several hours to bring the bone Temps down... I know many hunters are against getting the meat wet but I would think that in theory, if it dries out fast enough after you'd be fine to mitigate bacterial growth after.. I've even washed my deer carcasses off then let hang and dry with no issues, and I've also heard that if you wipe the meat down with a vinegar solution it will change the meat surface pH, which will inhibit bacterial growth. I have done this as well, with no issues.. what is everyone's thoughts and experiences on this matter?

And Al, good luck buddy, and to everyone else..

REMINGTON JIM
09-17-2023, 09:24 PM
I have always washed Down my animals with vinegar and water 50/50 mixture . RJ

Arctic Lake
09-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Thanks Harry ! I was a cutter for 25 years .
Arctic Lake
So on that note, I have a butcher friend who says that when Temps are high, if you can find a creek, get the meat submerged for several hours to bring the bone Temps down... I know many hunters are against getting the meat wet but I would think that in theory, if it dries out fast enough after you'd be fine to mitigate bacterial growth after.. I've even washed my deer carcasses off then let hang and dry with no issues, and I've also heard that if you wipe the meat down with a vinegar solution it will change the meat surface pH, which will inhibit bacterial growth. I have done this as well, with no issues.. what is everyone's thoughts and experiences on this matter?

mike31154
09-18-2023, 10:17 AM

Both on moose (MU6 October) & elk (Van Isle November) LEH we washed down the skinned carcass with water. Temps were moderate, not overly warm like right now. Didn't have or use vinegar. After hanging overnight, we got the moose to a cutter next day, long drive. My buddy had a butcher already picked out for the elk so it got to a cooler pronto as well.

Arctic Lake
10-12-2023, 08:58 AM
Hi Fellas
First of all Thanks Again to all that replied with information, ideas, etc. I’m back as of 2 days ago and happy to say “Success”
I would like to share the adventure but it will take some time as I have a load of things to get done .

Should I start a new thread or just keep the story on this one ?
I have pictures too !
Arctic Lake

northof49
10-12-2023, 04:52 PM
Congrats!!…..just keep it rolling why not

wallz
10-12-2023, 08:43 PM
Yea roll it here. Nice tie off on the thread.

HarryToolips
10-12-2023, 09:57 PM
Right on buddy I look forward to seeing the pics and reading the story..

REMINGTON JIM
10-12-2023, 10:03 PM
Awesome AL - Roll it on here :wink: RJ

Knute
10-13-2023, 08:12 AM
AL, you're a master manipulator ;) Get us hooked and leave us wanting more ;)

Looking forward to the story and pics, congrats...

high horse Hal
10-13-2023, 08:35 AM
had a good idea this would be the outcome, congrats

Hi Fellas
First of all Thanks Again to all that replied with information, ideas, etc. I’m back as of 2 days ago and happy to say “Success”
I would like to share the adventure but it will take some time as I have a load of things to get done .

Should I start a new thread or just keep the story on this one ?
I have pictures too !
Arctic Lake

todbartell
10-13-2023, 09:35 AM
post it up here Arctic Lake! congrats

browningboy
10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Congrats Arctic! Look forward to the storey!

Arctic Lake
10-15-2023, 09:41 AM
Sorry fellas just real busy with getting back to the real world here in the Lowermainland .
I typed a paragraph the other day and lost it all . Sheeesh ! I will try again .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
10-15-2023, 09:51 AM
So it started on Sept26 for the drive up North . I was going to meet Chopper ,BlackWalker ,and the Good Doctor up the Valley as they were going to take some of my gear as the Yota was packed full for the trip . As it was my better half had to take out some stuff with me in her car . I pack way too much stuff ,clothes for one and too much food .
Anyone else do this ? Yikes !

My better half and I start out on the road early as I’m going to meet chopper at 8:00 AM .
I fill up the gas tank in the Yota in Mission as it’s cheaper there .
Off we go but running a bit late ,which I’m not happy about , as I said I’d be there a half hour earlier so Chopper and crew can load the items I can’t get in the Yota .

Oh boy slow down near Lepp Market . Geeezzz , it’s an accident and they detour us up past Lepp Market ,and we have no clue where that takes us . Couple minutes down the detour I look down and see there’s no bulge in my side cargo pocket .
Oh that’s weird , where’s my wallet ? I pull over and stop the truck and signal my better half to do the same .
On the side of the road I search for my wallet in the overcrowded cab of the Yota . Nope not under the seat ,or wedged between the seats, not in the back , not anywhere . Panic city sets in ,Yikes and Yikes . $500.00 cash in there all my cards , PAL , Hunting number, I’m starting to loose it . The better half asks what’s up and tell her my wallet is missing . She is very calm and level headed , always . Okay don’t panic she says .

She searches for the gas station phone number and the attendant looks for the wallet on the ground near the pumps , says nothing to be found . WHAT ! Man what I’m going to do . To be continued

northof49
10-15-2023, 04:15 PM
…..finally…thought maybe you were starting from back 5-6 yrs ago. Rough start… LOL :wink:

Arctic Lake
10-15-2023, 05:43 PM
Ask the attendant if they have video surveillance of the pumps ,yes they do but only the manager has access . Okay ,what’s his phone number ,can’t give it out ,okay . So phone call into the RCMP non emergency ,tell them my problem, woman says an officer will get back to you . Short time later RCMP officer calls and gets the particulars . I tell him this a trip of a possible lifetime . I said I’m all-loaded up with everything on route up the valley and want to continue but what about my PAL . He says do your fellow hunters have their PALs ,yes I say ,so he says carry on . Great !

Still sweating about the $500.00 and all my ID and credit ,debit cards . So get on the phone to cancel the cards . Oh man 100 prompts to talk to a person and it takes forever……. then it’s almost impossible to understand the person ,geeez man !

Finally manage to cancel my cards and phone Chopper and let him know I’m going to be late and what has happened . No problem he says get here when you can . He’s a great guy ! So we are on the road again .

Make it to Choppers and my better half departs for work and says have a safe trip and good luck !
Black Watch and the Good Doctor are now here and we get ready to rock and roll for the great north !

to be continued …

northof49
10-15-2023, 06:18 PM
……bet you ended up finding that wallet right where you tucked it so you wouldn’t lose it !!

REMINGTON JIM
10-15-2023, 06:19 PM
Aw Phuck ! Losing your WALLET REALLY SUCKS ! :cry::cry::cry: Ok carry on . :wink: RJ

wallz
10-15-2023, 09:06 PM
……bet you ended up finding that wallet right where you tucked it so you wouldn’t lose it !!

My thought as well!!!

lol

Arctic Lake
10-16-2023, 08:00 AM
Never found the wallet but it did get turned in to the RCMP in Mission via a postal worker who got it from someone else .All there including cards but minus the $500.00 cash . I have re-enacted the situation and I don’t think my wallet was secure in my pocket , and when I went around the back of the truck I think I must have brushed against the truck and out it popped .
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
10-16-2023, 08:46 AM
Never found the wallet but it did get turned in to the RCMP in Mission via a postal worker who got it from someone else .All there including cards but minus the $500.00 cash . I have re-enacted the situation and I don’t think my wallet was secure in my pocket , and when I went around the back of the truck I think I must have brushed against the truck and out it popped .
Arctic Lake

getting OLD really SUCKS ! :razz: And being in a Hurray really promotes DUMB things to Happen . I know from my own experiences ! :-D Lol RJ

Arctic Lake
10-16-2023, 08:56 AM
The drive up North to the “Hoof “ went smoothly ,although a little slow on the hills for me in the Yota ,while Chopper and gang had no problem with the 1 ton diesel . It was dark when we arrived in the “Hoof “ and after greetings and something to eat I headed for the sack . My buddy was going to be home in the morning from work and it would be good to see him .
After waking up from a good nights sleep and my buddy getting home about 2 hours later we made plans with the others on where to set up camp . Our first location was sort of set aside as it was only a couple of klms from the restricted fire zone and we did not want to set up if only having to move again due to another restricted expansion .

So a second location was picked and Chopper and gang headed out ahead of myself and my buddy to try and secure a place to camp . They found the second location unoccupied and met us on the road to let us know .
Oh yea make sure you have a radio to monitor logging truck and resource traffic for safety !
cont…

REMINGTON JIM
10-16-2023, 09:43 PM
Ok AL u keep getting Squirreled ! Stay on track and finish your moose hunting STOREY please ! RJ

HarryToolips
10-17-2023, 07:27 AM
Arctic Lake
Dang, good you got it back, too bad about the cash...looking forward to the rest of the story...

Arctic Lake
10-18-2023, 11:12 AM
We arrived at our second choice camp site and found that Chopper,BlackWatch and The Good Doctor had their wall tent set up and picked a location for my buddy’s trailer . Bit of a bummer but no fires allowed, so the gang in the wall tent were not sure if that included wood burning stoves ,of which they had for their wall tent so a couple of colder nights until the ban was lifted .

After the camp had been set up and still light left we all split up to get an evening hunt in . My buddy and I picked an older cut block not too far from camp he stayed with the truck while I walked in and did some calling . My buddy had been up since getting off his 12 hour night shift that morning ,he’s beat . Well it gets dark and I walk out no answer to the calling .

That night we sit around the propane fire pit a tell tales of past trips and general stories . I hit the sack but my buddy stays up to continue the b.s.ing . I wake up couple of hours later to take a leak and he’s still out there taking .I really don’t know how he is still up after all these hours .

From here on in I might not have the days all in order as it’s a little foggy but will try and be as accurate as I can .
Next morning my buddy and I head out to check out some promising cutblocks .After parking the truck we walk into one cutblock and position ourselves about 30 yards apart and I start calling . I wait about 15 minutes between calling but no response or activity . Wait a minute, what the hell was that noise ? I scan the tree line out in all directions ,nothing . I hear it again , I then look over in my buddy’s direction and he’s lying in a small depression in the ground curled up snoring .He’s out dead to the world, snoring . Oh man I can’t believe it . He’s wiped out from the long hours worked before the trip and staying up talking into all hours of the night .

I try throwing some sticks his way to wake him up but he’s lights out ! Okay I walk over and wake him up and we leave the cutblock .
cont…

wallz
10-18-2023, 06:55 PM
Lol, being one with nature!

Arctic Lake
10-19-2023, 10:25 AM
Here’s where the days get a little foggy so I’ll try my best . Chopper , Black Watch , and the Good Doctor who is Black Watch’s father has come along on the trip to spend time with his son and some male bonding and see the North country head up one of the FSR to check things out . They have put more than a few miles of boot leather down , walking tree lines and swamp edges looking for immatures . They head up to a higher vantage point and are able to see a small lake, a cutblock that was logged, I think about a year ago ,and a cutblock about 5 years old and areas that have mature trees .

While they are up on the hill they glass the year old slash and see a large darkish object that is moving across the slash at a fairly good pace . Binoculars up they confirm it’s a bull moose and a good size , Yahoo !

When we meet up again they let my buddy and I know about the sighting and this fires us up . We decide to plan for the next morning to be in that slash and do some calling . Back to camp to have some lunch and shoot the B.S.
After some talk my buddy and I go for a drive down the same FSR and see a cutblock that has great potential ,it has cover ,feed and just looks just plain moosy . We park the truck and walk in to some cover and I start calling , no replies . Just then we hear a vehicle approaching but can’t see it yet . The light is fading as the now identified Jeep stops and looks in our direction , The passenger door opens up and out steps someone with a firearm . I don’t like this ,as I don’t want to be mistaken for something we are not . It’s still legal shooting light but out comes my flashlight and I shine it in the direction of the Jeep . This seems to get their attention and they something like “ I wasn’t going to shoot “ at least that’s what I think I heard . Well I’m sure glad they thought that through !

The Jeep turns around and heads back down .

Well it’s getting dark and my buddy and I head out back to the Yota and back to camp ….
cont.

HarryToolips
10-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Can't wait for the rest of the story..

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2023, 05:51 PM
Man Al suspense is Killing Us :D RJ

Arctic Lake
10-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Hang in there RJ the end is near !
Arctic Lake
Man Al suspense is Killing Us :D RJ

northof49
10-19-2023, 06:18 PM
Hang in there RJ the end is near !
Arctic Lake

Whats going on Arctic….hunt still in progress :lol:
Hope you get him this eve!!

Arctic Lake
10-19-2023, 06:21 PM
Well with the sighting of the big bull in the year or so old cutblock by Chopper and BlackWatch my buddy and I are going to focus on that cutblock . So next day buddy and I head in there and set up to call along with hanging some scented tampons in a broad arc in front of us . Meanwhile Chopper heads off down another FSR close by . After hiding ourselves in the fringe of the cutblock I start calling . I keep it up for a an hour or so doing 4 or so sets . No response so we head out to the fork in the road where Chopper went in . Out drives a Dodge pickup and says someone in their gang got an immature and they are coming out behind them with it . Well that’s good news they say they got it first thing in the morning and it was with a cow and calf . Hmmmm getting interesting now . They also tell us another party in their group got another immature off the main FSR . This is getting a lot better and maybe Chopoer will get into a moose .

Eventually Chopper comes back out with no luck but found a nice spot to look out over part of another cutblock .
Okay back to camp and we discuss what to do . We decide to leave the year or so old cutblock alone for a day .
So next day Chopoer and his BIL who has come to join us drive into the first half of the year old cutblock and we follow in behind them . They are stopped ahead of us in the middle of the road . We park the Yota and walk up as they come to us .
There’s a big bull in the cutblock . WHAT ! Awesome ! C’mon you got to take him ! Im all fired up as so is everyone else and it’s bloody contagious ! There’s no place for me to rest my rifle as I don’t want to try a freehand shot as it’s too far away .
They convince me to lie on the road and shoot . I’m not comfortable doing this as I have never practiced shooting in that position . Down I go in the dirt with a rolled up jacket as a rest . Line him up in the scope and Bam the 30.06 goes off.
cont..

Getbent
10-19-2023, 06:44 PM
Bahaha. Right!

TheObserver
10-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Arctic Lake
10-19-2023, 08:30 PM
That was awesome ! Stay tuned !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
10-20-2023, 11:44 AM
Cont…. As mentioned above I was in a bit of excited state feeding off of everyone else’s sight of the bull , I felt rushed to make the shot and that’s not good, nor should I have felt pressure . In hindsight I would have done it differently ,for sure .
So the 30.06 let one go and the moose pivots and takes off in the bush . It was a long shot for me and I could not regroup fast enough to take another shot . Did I hit it ? I would be sick if I wounded the bull and could not find it !

We make our way to where the bull was and fan out looking for blood ,nothing anywhere . I missed ! Hmmm will my buddy and I get another chance at a big bull , did I blow it for the trip ? One positive he was in the same area that we had called the day prior and hung the scented tampons . I’m thinking he was hanging around there because if that . Maybe wishful thinking but there was a cow in the area as an immature had been taken while with a cow .

We leave confident that my shot missed the bull .
Back to camp, cont….
Arctic Lake

high horse Hal
10-20-2023, 10:38 PM
you didn't miss

Arctic Lake
10-21-2023, 09:00 AM
Sorry to say I did ,poor judgment on my part . Lesson learned !
Please say tuned fellas ……

you didn't miss

Arctic Lake
10-22-2023, 11:18 AM
So back at camp we plan for the next day ,what to do . Do we leave the one year old slash alone where we spotted the big bull or do we try there again in the morning . Decision made try fist thing next morning .
So next morning Chopper and his BIL head out ahead of us . My buddy and I follow a short time later in the Yota .
Not quite sure if Chopoer and BIL are going into the year old slash or somewhere else .

My buddy and I are on the road to the slash, it’s a fairly nice day ,no rain which we have had bouts of with varying temperatures . We turn off the main FSR and come to the fork in the road straight ahead is where the other hunters got the immature ,to the left is the year old slash . We turn to the left and instead of parking and walking in we start a crawl in with the Yota . My eyes are fixed ahead to where we spotted the big bull day prior . My buddy is looking out the passenger side window . “ MOOSE “ he lets out ……..
cont

Arctic Lake
10-23-2023, 06:45 PM
Been fighting a hell of a Sore throat and aching body since a week being back home ! The final chapter coming soon with pictures
Arctic Lake

RackStar
10-23-2023, 06:48 PM
Holly crap, I’ll check back around January when you’re done the story!

=)

Arctic Lake
10-23-2023, 06:53 PM
LOL RackStar ! Sorry I have been dealing with a wicked sore throat and aching body about a week after I got back . Please hang in there it’s going to come altogether very soon and hang on …….. with pictures ,yes pictures HaHa LOL !
Stay tuned all ….
Arctic Lake

=)

RackStar
10-23-2023, 06:55 PM
Congrats ! Glad you got a full freezer , get better I’m just razzin ya

REMINGTON JIM
10-23-2023, 06:58 PM
Yea All Good Al get better Soon - we can wait Bud :p:smile: RJ

Husky7mm
10-23-2023, 07:17 PM

=)

Haha, comon Arctic, dig in deep, put some buckleys in that pie hole and share this moose adventure….. it taste gross but it works, lol

Arctic Lake
10-23-2023, 07:33 PM
HaHa I tried that crap once , Yuck ! Just did a rapid test at least it’s not Covid .
Arctic Lake
Haha, comon Arctic, dig in deep, put some buckleys in that pie hole and share this moose adventure….. it taste gross but it works, lol

montec assassin
10-23-2023, 09:19 PM
In an attempt to bring this site back to its former glory, Arctic Lake has vowed to post one hunting story daily for a week straight. Unfortunately it’s the same story, but now that we’ve made it out of the gas station, it’s getting good.

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 09:28 AM
I deserve all the shots I have been getting for sure . It’s coming to an end soon ! Please do not adjust your channel .
Arctic Lake
In an attempt to bring this site back to its former glory, Arctic Lake has vowed to post one hunting story daily for a week straight. Unfortunately it’s the same story, but now that we’ve made it out of the gas station, it’s getting good.

HarryToolips
10-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Lol what I just got caught up, thought you'd be done posting the story already...it's all good I understand..

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:12 PM
Here we go final chapter .

“MOOSE” my buddy says ! Where ? Right there on the my side just in front of the taller timber behind that standing dead stuff . I look for a big patch of brown , and as you probably all have done, piled up logging debris can look well like something .HaHa .

But I finally spot the big guy I’m thinking he’s about 175 yards away maybe more . Darn rangefinders back at camp ,lot of good that’s going to do there ,dummy ! Yahoo ! I say to my buddy don't get out of the truck as I gently open the door . I lean into the cab of the Yota and my buddy passes me my rifle that he has been holding ,no not loaded . I’m a little panicked ,he’s a good size bull and I’m positive he’s the fella from the day before and the one spotted from afar by Chopper and BlackWatch from the top of the hill a few days prior . I reach in my pocket and pull out a handful of cartridges
180 grain 30.06 . Open the bolt on the Remington and start to load it up . The moose has moved a bit oh no man ,don’t bolt on me . So I let out a few bull grunts , he is staying put . I pull the rifle up to my shoulder and look through the scope ,oh kripes my cheek is not lined up and I don’t see bugger all . I really need to practice more ! I realign my position on the butt of the rifle . There he is ! I put the cross hairs on the fella behind the front shoulder and squeeze ,Boom . Looks like a hit but he just moves a bit . Chamber another round Boom , he moves a bit more . Why is this guy not down ? Maybe I’m flinching . I’m pretty wound up ! One more round in the chamber Boom . Now he’s on the move behind some dead standing stuff and I don’t seem him . I look at my buddy in the truck he’s not saying anything .

I start to walk down the road parallel to where he headed . Man I can’t loose this guy but when he started moving behind the trees he was not moving fast . Now I make a guess as to where he might be maybe 150 yards from where I first shot him . So I head into the slash my eyes peeled for any sign of him ,where the hell is he ? I stop in my tracks and listen I don’t hear a thing . I keep walking towards the taller un logged part of the slash . There he is lying down but taking his last breaths . I don’t like seeing that so I let a final shot go to dispatch him . It’s over , Moose Down . I let out a heck of a yell and head out to the road my buddy is there . We got him I tell him . We give each other a bro hug and we walk towards our moose . WOW ! Just a great animal ! I take a few minutes to Thank the powers that be !

Once we made contact with Chopper and his BIL they came and then went back to camp to fetch another pickup and ropes ,cables and snatch blocks so we could drag the moose out to the roadside where we dressed him out . Once back at camp we got the hide off and hung him from 2 game poles from a previous hunting party . Thanks for leaving it in place !

I went with a great group of fellas , my good buddy from the “Hoof” , Chopper , Black Watch , The Good Doctor , and of course The BIL.

Thanks for hanging in with me hope you enjoyed the long drawn out ramblings .
Thanks to all who have contributed to the thread !

Pictures to follow
Arctic Lake

Squamch
10-24-2023, 01:33 PM
Man I tuned into this one at just the right time!

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:35 PM
Yea Squamch you missed all the drama that the rest of the fellas have put up with , LOL . Now I just hope the picture posting goes well
Man I tuned into this one at just the right time!

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Road into slash
https://i.imgur.com/XyrWOBk.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:43 PM
Where the bull was standing when my buddy spotted him
https://i.imgur.com/Ms0KEIc.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:44 PM
This is where I found him
https://i.imgur.com/coSKSEe.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Fyr7xnb.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/y5ptyDQ.jpg

todbartell
10-24-2023, 01:46 PM
good work Arctic!

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 01:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/F6N4tMK.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 02:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/XxnSOjM.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 02:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OYpP35c.jpg

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 02:02 PM
Thank You . Popped into the store when I was in the “ Hoof “ I needed a couple of things but I don’t think you were there . Next time !
Arctic Lake
good work Arctic!

Spy
10-24-2023, 02:24 PM
Nice bull Arctic I was coming on here to blast you lol for taking so freaking long.

moosinaround
10-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Nice work, great trip, better camaraderie, and a tasty moose in the freezer! Making good on a LEH draw, travelling a long ways for adventure!! L.I.V.I.N, living life!! Thanks for the epic post of the season so far Arctic!!! Moosinaround

Harvest the Land
10-24-2023, 04:04 PM
Excellent work! I stopped reading at the point where you missed on a bull a few pages back. Great to see you persevered even without your range finder. Always helps to have a second set of eyes eh? That is one heck of a nice bull Arctic

RackStar
10-24-2023, 04:39 PM
That’s a real nice bull for the area. Great work

Husky7mm
10-24-2023, 05:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OYpP35c.jpg

I see what happened here, you dangled the carrot long enough for you to finish a nice euro mount to include with your story!!!
Thats a nice bull!! Its good you didnt get the BULL FEVER and just warm up the barrel!!! How many times did you hit him? Any other game taken on this Adventure?

Ron.C
10-24-2023, 05:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/y5ptyDQ.jpg

beauty bull,Congrats!!!!

And thanks the the story!!! Absolutely what this site should be all about. You will be eating well for months to come

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 05:46 PM
I’m think I only hit him twice , well three if you count the last one to dispatch him while taking his last breaths .The first shot landed behind the front shoulder and when first looked at by myself and the others thought it might have been a little to far back, but it went right through the lungs ,the lung cavity was full of blood . No other animals taken by our group but others in the area were getting moose .
Arctic Lake
I see what happened here, you dangled the carrot long enough for you to finish a nice euro mount to include with your story!!!
Thats a nice bull!! Its good you didnt get the BULL FEVER and just warm up the barrel!!! How many times did you hit him? Any other game taken on this Adventure?

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 05:50 PM
I had the Euro Mount done by a fella that has done work for me before . I can’t take any credit for it .
Arctic Lake

RE1960
10-24-2023, 05:58 PM
Nice bull thanks for posting it up

ekul246
10-24-2023, 07:24 PM
Awesome bull Arctic! Looks to me like my bull and yours are definitely from a similar gene pool, looking at those fronts. What’s his spread?
Reading this brings my memories from my bull from last year to life!

BimmerBob
10-24-2023, 07:40 PM
Congrats on a beauty Bull AL, a story nicely told of the hunt as it did unfold!

Be well.../B

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 07:57 PM
I’m going to check again but I think around 46 inches
Arctic Lake
Awesome bull Arctic! Looks to me like my bull and yours are definitely from a similar gene pool, looking at those fronts. What’s his spread?
Reading this brings my memories from my bull from last year to life!

jimzuk
10-24-2023, 07:58 PM
What a great story and fantastic bull. Thanks for sharing and keeping us anxiously awaiting the next instalment..

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 07:58 PM
Thank you for all the positive comments fellas !
Arctic Lake

Husky7mm
10-24-2023, 08:04 PM
I’m think I only hit him twice , well three if you count the last one to dispatch him while taking his last breaths .The first shot landed behind the front shoulder and when first looked at by myself and the others thought it might have been a little to far back, but it went right through the lungs ,the lung cavity was full of blood . No other animals taken by our group but others in the area were getting moose .
Arctic Lake

“when there is lead in the air there is hope” :) I certainly am not afraid to shoot a few times, plus I love the smell of gun powder!!
Anyways moose camp is always very therapeutic. Priceless times with friends and family. Any moose if good cause of all the clean organic meat, and you got a great one. I always enjoy sharing the meat with the rest of the party regardless of the out come.
Great turn around time on the euro.
Congratulations on the fine bull. The best results always seem to be when they are double lunged, as you did. A big bodied bull can suck up the lead but two lungs that don’t work always seal the deal.

bcsteve
10-24-2023, 08:34 PM
Glad I stuck around for the end of the story! Great bull!

REMINGTON JIM
10-24-2023, 08:39 PM
Awesome Bull AL ! Great storey and thanks for Sharing :grin: GOOD on you and your Buddies . RJ

Arctic Lake
10-24-2023, 08:58 PM
Thanks again fellas for the comments ! I like reading the hunting stories that are posted on HBC ,as when you have been there and done that it resonates with you . So with my sharing I hope that some of you got that been there done that good feeling ,minus the wallet / cash loss , LOL !

Look forward to reading others stories !
Arctic Lake

sillybear
10-24-2023, 09:23 PM
Great story! Nice bull. Well Done!!

Bigdoggdon
10-24-2023, 09:24 PM
Awesome Bull A. L. Great job.

wallz
10-24-2023, 09:55 PM
Great job on the moose!

Some tasty eats there for Sure.

HarryToolips
10-24-2023, 09:56 PM
Great work Al, beauty bull, looks like a tonne of great meat, and hey great story writeup too...congrats!

bottles
10-24-2023, 10:53 PM
Well done. That mount looks great 👍

Bustercluck
10-25-2023, 12:53 AM
I’m not going to lie. I haven’t been reading the whole story, but I check in periodically looking for pics.

Nice bull!

Arctic Lake
10-26-2023, 09:26 AM
Learned a few things this trip that I should know by now !

#1 Suss out a few potential places to hang game before your hunt ,one place may be full which was our case . if your on a hunt and the weather in the bush is warm you will need a place to hang .

#2 Give yourself plenty of time the day your leaving and try not to rush . I know it’s hard if your still working a 9-5 job but maybe factor in another day so it’s not so hectic . If you have bought some new gear for the year try and get used to it before you leave on the hunt . Even clothing that your not familiar with can be problematic .

#3 I bring too much clothing !

I will add more later
Arctic Lake

TheObserver
10-26-2023, 07:26 PM
Nice Bull AL thats a good one!

REMINGTON JIM
10-26-2023, 09:04 PM
Learned a few things this trip that I should know by now !

#1 Suss out a few potential places to hang game before your hunt ,one place may be full which was our case . if your on a hunt and the weather in the bush is warm you will need a place to hang .

#2 Give yourself plenty of time the day your leaving and try not to rush . I know it’s hard if your still working a 9-5 job but maybe factor in another day so it’s not so hectic . If you have bought some new gear for the year try and get used to it before you leave on the hunt . Even clothing that your not familiar with can be problematic .

#3 I bring too much clothing !

I will add more later
Arctic Lake

and don’t lose your wallet ;):tongue: RJ

Arctic Lake
10-26-2023, 09:09 PM
Absolutely don’t loose your wallet ! There’s more to the story but maybe that’s for another thread .Most expensive moose to date for me . P.S. I also lost my partial denture , LOL !
Arctic Lake
and don’t lose your wallet ;):tongue: RJ

IronNoggin
10-29-2023, 10:49 AM
Congrats!
Took a spell to spill the beans, but it was worth the wait.
Beauty Bull btw!

Cheers,
Nog