PDA

View Full Version : Final Bear Hunt

Aiden03
06-21-2023, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone,

My brother and I are headed up north this weekend in a last attempt to get our first bear. Thinking somewhere in 7A or northern 5 by Quesnel. Have spent some time in the bush in the Fraser Valley this season but haven't had much luck and don't really know any spots up north. We'll probably just end up finding somewhere to camp and doing some hiking where there's bear sign. Anyone have any general areas or tips for hunting up north? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aiden

savage10
06-21-2023, 08:57 PM
That’s a long way to go for a bear hunt! If you’re in the LML/Fraser valley, id recommend looking into region 3 before heading way up north. Lots of country and lots of bears, and you’ll gain valuable hours that you’ll be hunting instead of driving.

Aiden03
06-21-2023, 09:18 PM
Definitely open to that as well. I've hunted east of kamloops a bit in the past and seen a few bears but haven't been in the spring yet.

caddisguy
06-21-2023, 09:19 PM
Wherever you go, just look for fresh sign and hunt it. Fresh sign being nipped grass (look for areas with grass to start) fresh mauled stumps, scats ideally greenish but even soft if you jam a stick into them is good. Find an area with fresh sign and hunt it, whichever reason. Region 2 is pretty tough now with all the gates and blockades popping up everywhere. This year was the first time I had to go to Region 3 for our bear. 12 big game animals out of Region 2, never taken big game out of any other region but it's too discouraging in R2 now. All the hard work scouting getting undone so fast by gates and blockades it's discouraging, figure it's best to scout and learn places an extra couple hours away. Takes dozens of hours to find new spots that produce in R2. I mean it takes a fair bit in any region but here they're doing the whole "we're all unceded land so any gate is legit or takes months/years to consider" so you can spend all that effort and then a month later you have to do it all over again.

Anyways if you can train yourself to look for sign before bears... you can even do it while driving... see patches of grass, slow down and eye ball them to see if they're nipped, get out and take a closer look if you need to... look for those scat piles, limbs dragged out on the middle of the road mauled up, anything like that, lots of fresh sign, just start hunting it. Found a honey hole in R3 this way in a 2 day trip last weekend and saw a couple bears and harvested one. And now I have a place to go back to that probably wont be shut down anytime soon and I can hold out for a tank. And I know they are there in the fall because I found old scat piles with berry seeds.

Aiden03
06-21-2023, 09:26 PM
Thanks will do. It's definitely frustrating when you get to the place you want to hunt and find its been blocked off for whatever reason. Had that happen a few times as well.

browningboy
06-21-2023, 09:51 PM
Nahatlatch Valley has lots, just west of Boston Bar, just do the logging roads, see them for sure

Arctic Lake
06-22-2023, 08:06 AM
Do they stay around there in the fall ?
Arctic Lake
Nahatlatch Valley has lots, just west of Boston Bar, just do the logging roads, see them for sure

Getbent
06-22-2023, 05:11 PM
This ^^^^^^

BCHunterTV
06-22-2023, 08:04 PM
swift river in quesnel... youll find bears np