PDA

View Full Version : River Boar hunting strategies?

Elite163
06-17-2023, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a river boat and looking to plan some hunts this fall on some of the local rivers. I am wondering what everyone’s strategy is when hunting large rivers.

Is it best to cruise the river until you see some good sign/trails to the river and then set up a camp close by and just boat in the dark to that area and start hunting/hiking it?

Or is it best to run rivers like a backpack style of hunt and just have a spike camp essentially and move lots? I have a large outfitters tent and some ultralight sheep hunting tents so I can do a few options.

I will be mainly going after elk and do have a moose tag also.

HappyJack
06-18-2023, 06:52 AM
Probably not a good idea to boat a river in the dark.

You could set up a camp or just float downstream and hunt, then jet back to the truck or your camp. Lots of game taken right on the river bank.

Downwindtracker2
06-18-2023, 08:15 AM
River hunting is no different than road hunting now.

HappyJack
06-18-2023, 09:48 AM
More people with trucks and orv's than those with jet boats. You can get into some very good hunting via jet boat.

ryanb
06-18-2023, 10:56 AM
The best elk hunting from rivers generally involves significant hiking back from the river anywhere there is significant pressure (all rivers that are boat-able). Moose can be taken closer, and can often be spotted from the boat. Be prepared to get a days hike back from the river for good elkn action and be prepared for the ensuing pack-out.