PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Mule Deer by Revy?

sdpy1
06-17-2023, 01:21 PM
Hey folks!

Been keeping busy with a lot of early season scouting with good success and wanted to see if anyone has experience with alpine mule deer in the mountains around Revy? Not asking for locations or honey holes, just a general inquiry. I've spent a lot of time in those parts exclusively for mountaineering and have seen tracks below the snowline, but never really had a sighting. Do the deer like bowls with glacial runoff, what kind of veg are they keying onto, elevations to keep ones eye on?

Cheers!

Salix
06-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Elk for sure in the alpine in the Revie area. Haven’t seen much for mulie sign though.
I expect the area to the west near Malakwa would be better for alpine mulie hunting, there is significantly more deer in that general area.
There was a fire on the Wap road a couple years ago that went up to the alpine that I’ve thought about checking out, just need to find the time to go hike that’s not being taken up by elk, moose or goat hunts in Sept and Oct.

358mag
06-17-2023, 08:55 PM
Elk for sure in the alpine in the Revie area. Haven’t seen much for mulie sign though.
I expect the area to the west near Malakwa would be better for alpine mulie hunting, there is significantly more deer in that general area.
There was a fire on the Wap road a couple years ago that went up to the alpine that I’ve thought about checking out, just need to find the time to go hike that’s not being taken up by elk, moose or goat hunts in Sept and Oct.

Not shortage of Grizzly bears up there too

Axe
06-17-2023, 10:52 PM
Where would you drive to see Grizz around Revy? What do you think the odds are of seeing one?

high horse Hal
06-18-2023, 07:52 AM
Not shortage of Grizzly bears up there toothey dine on weeds and rodents, an ungulate would be a treat

Aaron600
06-18-2023, 08:13 AM
Always hear about Grizzlies in an area when people don't want others hunting it lol.

interior
06-18-2023, 06:47 PM
Always hear about Grizzlies in an area when people don't want others hunting it lol.

It’s just a fact that there are tons of grizzly in these areas now. I’ve hiked in some of the general areas mentioned and there was grizz sign everywhere.

As for the original question, this video is of a guy alpine hunting mule deer out of Golden so might give you some ideas of what to look for. https://youtu.be/qP8KOcuAjak
Unfortunately, I just started trying to alpine hunt in the last year and haven’t had any success yet so I don’t have any good information to pass along.

358mag
06-18-2023, 07:44 PM
they dine on weeds and rodents, an ungulate would be a treat

Yes for sure those Grizzly bear's are total vegan's .................................................. ................................................Tr ick or Treat

CReever
06-23-2023, 09:47 PM
Hey folks!

Been keeping busy with a lot of early season scouting with good success and wanted to see if anyone has experience with alpine mule deer in the mountains around Revy? Not asking for locations or honey holes, just a general inquiry. I've spent a lot of time in those parts exclusively for mountaineering and have seen tracks below the snowline, but never really had a sighting. Do the deer like bowls with glacial runoff, what kind of veg are they keying onto, elevations to keep ones eye on?

Cheers!

Your best bet would be to go back to the areas you've seen sign and explore the alpine basins, chutes, etc thoroughly. Once you've found what you are looking for, set out a few trail cameras and come back in late August and check your results. HINT: subalpine/treeline terrain will be most productive. Use bear boxes with trail cameras in grizzly bear country as you may not have a camera to come back to if you don't.