PDA

View Full Version : Fawns are out

Hunter gatherer
06-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Fawns are dropping ,hopefully drivers will be aware and watch out when the doe crosses the road fawn might be coming up next. Feel good story coming up. We noticed a doe behaving strangely at the entrance to our yard,thought she had a fawn and was being protective so just avoided the area,wish I had paid more attention. So after about 3 hours the doe was gone,went to get something out of the storage shed and my wife noticed something stuck in the fence. Got closer and it looked to be a dead fawn. Then I saw it was breathing,so I manage to weasel it out of the fence and lay it down by a bush thinking it wasn't going to make it. After a couple of hours,we just left it alone,my wife noticed the doe was back and the little one was following her around. On another note dog killed a pack rat in the wood shed.

Gr8 white hunter
06-17-2023, 07:51 AM
Good dog buy him a T-bone stk,I hate pack rats .

sdpy1
06-17-2023, 12:45 PM
Haven't seen anything in my hayfield yet in the Okanagan, will keep checking the cams to see what the does are up to though.

Muledeercrazy2
06-17-2023, 03:49 PM
Been out for 2-3 weeks on the coast anyways

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
06-17-2023, 06:11 PM
My wife saw one a few days ago down by the campground/pub corner. She said it was pretty wobbly. I figure mom had just taken it in for its first wobbly pop.

Frank grimes
06-17-2023, 06:38 PM
I usually see them behind my house, haven’t yet this year though. I have seen a few elk calves though.

jimzuk
06-17-2023, 08:01 PM
Yes we saw one today. Had to stop traffic on the road and wait for it to cross. It was pretty wobbly probably only a day old

mike31154
06-17-2023, 11:02 PM
Mid August a couple years ago in my back yard. Healthy doe with 3.
https://dsm01pap009files.storage.live.com/y4mmc8OAlS4fpnB_ZGzJc7-c9p0cNmSmTpAPDr7ighYNDWSAUYXfD4HpoOmFkIiXhZb7SSyNy Djsm0vBNGjch3_pUQdHGP9zCtYFO8zKtaL7mM2un4mjEol0b11 5KB98l97Gx6BwRtv_2DaL9Ji6sPZ0uo3VEXsTbiXG0UoGvz5zh kxA3N2vbljnHJUhSXu8B_Q?width=1024&height=470&cropmode=none

Then there's this recently in Kelowna.... call 911...doh.... see what I did there... ;)
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/432359/Woman-says-she-was-attacked-by-a-deer-near-Rotary-Park-in-downtown-Kelowna

Redthies
06-18-2023, 11:39 AM
Castanet has the stupidest stories on the planet.

Have t seen any fawns yet here near Grand Forks, but the does have been gone for about a month, so I’m assuming they are still in their birthing grounds.

Rayne
06-18-2023, 12:56 PM
Seen a doe and new born fawn at ledgeview golf course yesterday.

Getbent
06-23-2023, 01:58 PM
Castanet has the stupidest stories on the planet.

Have t seen any fawns yet here near Grand Forks, but the does have been gone for about a month, so I’m assuming they are still in their birthing grounds.
castanet is like the national enquirer…pure junk

Iron Glove
06-23-2023, 02:28 PM
They're all over the place at our cabin N of Princeton, fawn with doe this AM maybe 3 minute dog walk away.
Neighbours had their dog stomped by a doe on the weekend.

caddisguy
06-23-2023, 03:36 PM
Saw a doe with a couple fawns on Saturday. They were on the road and didn't really want to leave it. They'd start to run and we'd stop and wait for a little bit. Creep around the next corner, they would run a little bit further and slow down. Stopped for 5 minutes and waited, start driving, there they are again. Rinse and repeat for a bit. I didn't want to blow by them or stress them out more than they already were. Eventually they went off into a clearing on the side of the road.

Always very cool to see despite minor FSR traffic delay :)

one-shot-wonder
06-23-2023, 05:02 PM
So begins the annual summer gong show with urban deer. Fawns in town dropped 3 weeks ago. The park trail behind house has been abandoned, as it is a favourite area for a couple old resident does to keep their fawns. Must resort to walking a dog on the street now which becomes just as stressful, need your head on a swivel watching for does coming out of the woodwork, aka hedges and yards to put the run on the dog and I. I'm retired now after 20 years of playing fast pitch.. .I can still chuck a mean rock, the does back off after a few in the ribs and head. Need to tune up these does every opportunity I get... 3 dogs in our neighbourhood have been killed in past 2 years. I have rescued multiple other folks trapped/cornered by aggressive does. usually pull the truck in between them and lay on the horn.

Praying for another 8-09 antlerless draw, have capitalized on 2 now since the urban deer tags have been in the lottery. Need WAY more elevation limited urban doe tags IMO.

Iron Glove
06-23-2023, 08:35 PM
So begins the annual summer gong show with urban deer. Fawns in town dropped 3 weeks ago. The park trail behind house has been abandoned, as it is a favourite area for a couple old resident does to keep their fawns. Must resort to walking a dog on the street now which becomes just as stressful, need your head on a swivel watching for does coming out of the woodwork, aka hedges and yards to put the run on the dog and I. I'm retired now after 20 years of playing fast pitch.. .I can still chuck a mean rock, the does back off after a few in the ribs and head. Need to tune up these does every opportunity I get... 3 dogs in our neighbourhood have been killed in past 2 years. I have rescued multiple other folks trapped/cornered by aggressive does. usually pull the truck in between them and lay on the horn.

Praying for another 8-09 antlerless draw, have capitalized on 2 now since the urban deer tags have been in the lottery. Need WAY more elevation limited urban doe tags IMO.

Used to be an Antlerless draw in 8-5, applied every year, never got drawn. Figured at most a 2 minute walk out the cabin door, bang and it's done. Have had a couple of our dogs chased by a doe, one was chased in a circle for a few minutes, the dog screaming and me tossing rocks at the deer, the dogs learned pretty quickly to avoid them after that.

one-shot-wonder
06-23-2023, 10:29 PM
My dogs heel or are leashed, does that are hibituated in town have no fear of humans and for some reason a disdane for dogs. Soon as a dog is part of the equation they become aggressive to the point where they come after the dog. Few neighbours carry large wooden walking sticks, I just rely on the good bean ball, chin music if you know what I mean. Growing quite tired of it to be honest, better off loading the dog in the truck and walk her in the bush. Wild deer run away.

Hunter gatherer
06-24-2023, 06:31 AM
We just had our staffy stomped on by a doe in the back yard. Wife and dog were enjoying the sun ,lying on the deck and I was working in the front of the house. Heard some screaming so go running around to the back,dog and wife are at the back door trying to get in the house,doe was coming up the deck. Some yelling and a rock and off she went. Still hung around a bit so more rocks.

last light
06-24-2023, 02:05 PM
Throwing rocks at deer sounds like harassment of wildlife.

one-shot-wonder
06-24-2023, 02:11 PM
Urban deer aren't wildlife...

Hunter gatherer
06-24-2023, 03:32 PM
Throwing rocks at deer sounds like harassment of wildlife.
Depends on why your throwing rocks at it. But thanks for pointing that out,next time I'll just jump it with my Bowie knife and wrestle it.lol