PDA

View Full Version : Are ticks worse in Summer or Spring?

TheObserver
06-13-2023, 04:12 PM
What is your experience? I always get them on me in Spring but haven't spent that much time in what I would call tick country in the Summer months.

Also every tick I have ever had on me has always been down in wintering grounds (region 3 and 8 ), never up higher. Something to do with the life cycle and them falling off during Winter maybe. Any of you guys find them up higher be it timber, sub alpine or alpine?

Never had one on me in region 2/Fraser Valley.

KootenayKiller
06-13-2023, 04:15 PM
worse in spring. I'm a rock climber, and noticed that for some reason I get a lot more ticks when in rocky terrain (scree/cliffs).

wideopenthrottle
06-13-2023, 04:17 PM
spring in my experience...

swampthing
06-13-2023, 04:18 PM
I live in tick country and have never gotten one in the summer. I get plenty in the spring!

jac
06-13-2023, 05:02 PM
Spring forsure

Gr8 white hunter
06-13-2023, 05:27 PM
Don't know but they are coming out with a new lyme disease vaccines. No joke.

Livewire322
06-13-2023, 06:52 PM
I’ve had maybe 10 on me that I’ve noticed, never been bitten by one as far as I know. Been hunting for almost 20 years now, and used to run around the foothills and sagebrush near Kamloops as a kid in the spring and summer too - maybe they just don’t find me appetizing or maybe it’s because I tuck my pants into my boots and tuck my skintight shirt into my pants…

Bullreaper
06-13-2023, 08:53 PM
Slightly off topic, but I was out hiking a couple weeks ago, I went 14km and ended up with 9 ticks during that trek. When I got home and hopped in the shower, I had one attached and digging in on my lower stomach. Got it out and all that. I sent a picture and all the information to the eTick app to get information. They responded within an hour with the type of tick and a bunch of other good info. Here in the East Kootenays, we have Dermacentor SP (American dog/wood) ticks. ACCORDING TO ETICK, they do not carry Lyme disease. They said less than a thousandth of a percentage may carry Rocky Mountain Fever, but is extremely rare in this area. So for anyone in the East Kootenays, don’t stress to much about ticks. They say if you do get bit, keep the tick in a pill bottle or some other sealed container in the freezer for 10 days. Just in case you do get sick, they can test it. I recommend downloading the eTick app. Then if you end up with a tick, send them a picture and fill out some info about where it came from, they’ll get back to you quickly with info.

TheObserver
06-13-2023, 09:29 PM
Don't know but they are coming out with a new lyme disease vaccines. No joke.

Hahaha yeah after the last 3 years, I think i'll take a pass on that lol

TheObserver
06-13-2023, 09:33 PM
May 21st of this year I had two on me in interior. In April in another area had 3 or 4. Been bitten I think 2 or 3 times over the years, once when I was a boy in the neck and once last year in the neck as well.

Just wondering what to expect at the same place I was at earlier in the year, now and in Summer

TheObserver
06-13-2023, 09:35 PM
worse in spring. I'm a rock climber, and noticed that for some reason I get a lot more ticks when in rocky terrain (scree/cliffs).

Funny, I wonder why? I always seem to have them coming up my body from grass I guess. Have seen them in trees though too.

I always find them down low in wintering areas, they always go hand in hand with sheds. I find sheds and I find ticks

HarryToolips
06-13-2023, 09:49 PM
I've seen them in grass and trees, but more often in grass..early Springtime by far the worst..

triggerhappy
06-14-2023, 09:31 AM
The only times I have ever seen a tick after May is on deer that I killed. March and April seem to be the only bad months for ticks.

caddisguy
06-14-2023, 12:18 PM
Definitely Spring in my experience. A couple of the areas I hunt are tick infested, not uncommon to pick up a half dozen in a 15 minute walk. Probably spend more time looking at my boots / legs in those places than I'd spend looking for bears. Let your guard down any given day and it's easy to get a few in the skin. If I am vigilant I only get bit 2 or 3 times while catching and destroying 100+ crawlers.

If find it's WAY worse in the Spring... April all the way through June, but some years quite a few in March. July and August, I only pick up the odd tick. Trouble is those ones have a better success ratio in drilling into me because my guard is down quite a bit.

I have never even found a crawler on me in the fall. I don't even recall ever finding one on me after the end of August.

I always find it strange I pick up so many but my wife only picks up 1/10 of the amount, maybe even less than that. Either they love me or they don't like her.