PDA

View Full Version : The White Moose,,

Allen50
12-07-2007, 12:03 AM
It's a cow moose, and she is snow white, the pic is in the Times Colonist Dec 6/07. on page A5. she has been see two times now, once in oct 06 and again this year with twin brown calves. and you know something the CO says it is not illegal to hunt albino moose in B.C.
There are some who would like the white animals to be protected. and I think that would be a good idea as well, any albino animal should be protected. it should be illegal to shoot any albino animal...:-? what do you hunters think, would you shoot a albino animal,,????:shock:

mooseless
12-07-2007, 12:25 AM
well... I think I would.
They would not last long out there as they cannot hide in a brown forest. If they were protected they would not prosper, they would be subject to higher predatation. Polar bears are white, albino polar bears are black, and rare!

Monashee
12-07-2007, 12:30 AM
No it is bad luck

mooseless
12-07-2007, 12:34 AM
bad luck! how so??

Steeleco
12-07-2007, 12:55 AM
If it's pink on the BBQ, it's edible!!! Albino-ism isn't like it's a new species or anything, it's just missing a chromosome. And I agree they won't last long in the wild anyway.

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 01:34 AM
No it is bad luck
writting up more restrictions IS bad luck IMO.

Nothin 'special' about an albino. The thing had 2 BROWN calves - All it is is a messed up critter.

BANG!

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 01:42 AM
....... But I would trade them in for a GOS G-Bear!

Protect the messed up Moose - Give me the Bears! (chant, chant)

Wild one
12-07-2007, 09:31 AM
My great uncle seen a white bull years ago up near prince george. Everybody made fun of him till it was mentioned in the regs.

Scottish Warrior
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I would shoot her is a heart beat. What possible good reason would there be to protect an albino animal? I might be temped to have the hide tanned with the fur left on, it would make an interesting conversation piece.

tooty
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Bad luck,pass.Ancient tales of bad luck.

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I would shoot her is a heart beat. What possible good reason would there be to protect an albino animal? I might be temped to have the hide tanned with the fur left on, it would make an interesting conversation piece.

My thinking.

MB_Boy
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
well... I think I would.
They would not last long out there as they cannot hide in a brown forest. If they were protected they would not prosper, they would be subject to higher predatation!

If you take the same theory as hunters.....brownish camo in the fall.....white camo in the winterish months.....any color when road hunting:wink:......the white moose should be fine through the winter months.

tooty
12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
No no no,bad luck.You can shoot it if you want.That's if you want all the hunting gods to desend on you and curse every hunting trip from here to eternity and other unmentional horrors.The horror,the horror.

Wildman
12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
well... I think I would.
They would not last long out there as they cannot hide in a brown forest. If they were protected they would not prosper, they would be subject to higher predatation. Polar bears are white, albino polar bears are black, and rare!

Exactly....

MB_Boy
12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Just my opinion.....but I wouldn't. Assuming I had a "tag" and this harvest was perfectly legal; I would pass on it as these animals get known in the local area and just like this one they end up in a newspaper. I wouldn't want to create the bad press for hunters with a picture of me holding my gun, wearing a camo hat, straddling "Molly the White Moose" with her tongue hanging out of her mouth and her "white fur" stained red.

Although "Molly" would likely taste pretty fine.....it just wouldn't be worth the "media circus" that would follow it. There are plenty of moose for me to whack and if letting this one pass helps the never ending battle of "perception" for my fellow hunters...I would pass. It ain't worth the "fallout" IMHO.

But that's just my personal thought on whether or not I would let the lead fly.....:wink:

rocksteady
12-07-2007, 10:35 AM
According to a more informed Fish and Wildlife type dude friend, he says if you get the chance...Dump them as they are genetically inferior.....Not only with the missing chromosome for colour, but also other inherant defects that are not as obvious....

tooty
12-07-2007, 10:39 AM
As I was saying.Why bring a world of crap desending on ones head for harvesting a white moose.Bad luck.Every anti hunting person banging drums in front of your house for all eternity.:cry:

One Shot
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
The news this morning had a story about a white cow with two brown calfs in Ft St John. She was seen last year. Is this the same moose storyas in the Times?

Browningmirage
12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
According to a more informed Fish and Wildlife type dude friend, he says if you get the chance...Dump them as they are genetically inferior.....Not only with the missing chromosome for colour, but also other inherant defects that are not as obvious....

Oh Come on...seriously?

A) its not the whole chromosome, they are only missing the sequence of genes that codes for colour (in humans its melatonin).
B) She is obviously fit enough, she has survived this long, and now has calves (both brown). Tonnes of moose (brown) dont even get to reproduce, so technically she is more fit than those moose (especially if these calves survive).

Genetically inferior is bogus, especially with the amount of time that she has survived.
AS for shooting her. No, i would not. Like has been said, its bad PR, and makes no sense. Thats the problem with some people, as soon as we see something that interests us, we just want to take it home; effectively removing it, and any positive (or negative) impacts it may have on the population. Negative impacts are less likely because

A) they have to breed to negatively impact the population (albinoism is not a contagious trait)
B) because they breed, they are obviously more fit than some other individuals.
Also, there is the fact that this moose has a handicap (its colour), and it is able to carry that handicap and survive, indicating a superior fitness level (The handicap hypothesis).

So in summation, dont dump it, it makes no sense.

threedhunter
12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
don't shoot. the genes could also affect texture and flavour.she has had to survive being a different color in 3 seasons a year as well as being a more visible prey animal hence it is possible that she has over developd muscle and bone mass, leading to tough meat on the table.might be easy to see but hard to digest.the anti's wouldn't leave you alone, you'd be don t. the white moose murderer. forever followed everywhere, hounded by photogs newshawks, etc. sometimes its just smarter to leaver right alone, let her produce more brown bull calves to legally harvest.just my ho and$.02.:smile:

Wild one
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Alright I have been told where to find a black tail buck that is white with brown spots like a cow. My brother worked on the guys property and he thinks the owner would let me bow hunt it.I am going to ask him if I could hunt the property do to the fact it is loaded with deer ,but would you target this strange buck?

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Alright I have been told where to find a black tail buck that is white with brown spots like a cow. My brother worked on the guys property and he thinks the owner would let me bow hunt it.I am going to ask him if I could hunt the property do to the fact it is loaded with deer ,but would you target this strange buck?

IN A HEARTBEAT.

Leave the moose alone guys............. it's MINE!

abbyfireguy
12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Lots of beating hearts here..Just as long as there's no bleeding hearts..:cool:
Albino moose are not super rare. They have been seen in 6-1 and west several times over the past 20 years . Now, I'm not sure if the sightings were before the wobbly pops or after!!
We harvested a 3 year old bull about ten years ago that had a white face and had a lot of white on its body. Strange looking critter...

Browningmirage
12-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Not specifically target per say, i would go out and hunt the area, and if he came in possibly take him, but i wouldnt target him specifically

stickbow
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
No no no,bad luck.You can shoot it if you want.That's if you want all the hunting gods to desend on you and curse every hunting trip from here to eternity and other unmentional horrors.The horror,the horror.
lol; Diana the goddess of the hunt would frown upon you the rest of your hunting days:(