PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Elk

Dominik
06-01-2023, 09:33 PM
Hey guys,
Decided to start my first thread

I am looking at going elk hunting in the east Kootenays this fall (I'm one of many I guess) and I was wondering if there are elk in the mountains or if they are all in the valley.

Let me elaborate:
I went on an elk hunt last year in the east Koots and it seemed like all the hunters were down at the base of the mountains in the main valley (not sure what its called but I mean the valley that cranbrook is in)
Let's just say I saw more hunters than elk, even though I I did call in a bull to about 50 yards but couldn't get a visual due to thick brush.
It just felt like all the hunters are on one pile competing for a few animals.
It was really frustrating to have so many hunters around and pretty much no elk.

This year I wanted to go deeper into the backcountry to get away from all the pressure. My question is: Is it worth going that deep or not? Are there elk that deep in or do they all hang out in the main valley at the fields.

I have spent countless hours escouting the region but I thought I could get more help on here.
This will be my second year of hunting the east Kootenays and my third year hunting in BC altogether so I am not really familiar with the area that much. I am planning on a scouting trip either end of July or beginning of August.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

madcalfe
06-02-2023, 06:13 AM
never hunted the kootenays for elk but id 100% go further and deeper than where all the hunters hangout.
elk will be in the steep and thick terrain during the rut. winter months they will be hanging out lower in valley bottoms/ fields.
Don't be afraid to go into the thick shit after them if their bugling back to you. I've yet to shoot a 6 point passed 50 yards.

Greenthumbed
06-02-2023, 06:15 AM
The further away from hunting pressure the better. Go deep. They’re in the mountains for sure. I was chasing elk at 7000’ last year. There is lots of 5-point or less bulls out there so make sure you confirm it’s legal before you shoot.

HarryToolips
06-02-2023, 07:28 AM
^^^^what both of them said...the elk could be at any elevation then, and will move around depending on a variety of factors, including optimal food sources, hunting pressure, pred pressure, water availability etc....in 2021 I shot a bull at 2000+ meters, last year we were finding them at 1500 ish meters.... sounds like you were on elk, so keep at it, you were probably one correct call to use away from that bull showing himself...

mike31154
06-02-2023, 10:55 AM
The valley is part of the Rocky Mountain Trench. Odds of bagging a 6 point Elk during a GOS are about as good as putting in for an LEH haha. Kind of like the spike fork Moose GOS in Region 8. If you haven't applied for Elk LEH you might consider doing so. I lucked into a draw on Van Isle a few years ago, a friend of mine has been skunked for draws for 30 years.... go figure.

Anyhow, I wish you luck, I've driven that highway often, not hunting & spotted a couple bulls crossing the highway near Canal Flats on one occasion. You might also consider a different region for an Elk hunt where there's less pressure. Gridlessness has posted some Elk hunting YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e4Tba1mVYs

Dominik
06-02-2023, 11:25 AM
^^^^what both of them said...the elk could be at any elevation then, and will move around depending on a variety of factors, including optimal food sources, hunting pressure, pred pressure, water availability etc....in 2021 I shot a bull at 2000+ meters, last year we were finding them at 1500 ish meters.... sounds like you were on elk, so keep at it, you were probably one correct call to use away from that bull showing himself...

That's good to know. I always look at the mountains and think to myself, dang if I were an elk I would not hang out there cause that looks like a lot of work to get and survive there.

Ya that instance was my first encounter with an elk in the wild and it got me hooked.
What I should've done is move away from him and leave my shooter in the spot we were in to draw him further.

rageous
06-02-2023, 11:32 AM
Avalanche chutes are a great place to look for elk in the EK.
Few people are willing to put in the work required to get a 6 pt bull elk season after season.

ElliotMoose
06-02-2023, 11:47 AM
It is not the same as it was 20 years ago when almost all the elk would migrate to the mountains as soon as the snow left. Now, majority of the elk in the EK are non-migratory and hangout in the trench in the farmers fields. Still, there are herds that head into the mountain drainages every summer, only in smaller numbers. The further you go into the road closures and back valleys, the better your chances at success as these elk see much less pressure and therefore still act like elk. Grab a spotting scope, find an hidden back basin and glass all the slides (avalanche chutes) and you will find elk. Look at the tops of mountains at the tree line as well. It still astonishes me how many elk hangout up at the mountain tops in what I would have formerly considered “goat only” country. Elk tend to hangout where the feed is good and the good feed is not in the same spot every year, so don’t necessarily expect to go into a spot year after year and be successful seeing elk. That’s my .02. Sounds like you’re on the right track though, certainly some decent opportunity left for the guy who doesn’t mind strapping on his pack and spending a night or two in the back country. I recommend buying a good compact hammock if you plan to spend nights on the mountain!

Greenthumbed
06-02-2023, 02:30 PM
https://imgur.com/a/rqmqaV7

Check out this short video. You can’t get much higher than we were when saw this guy. We called him up to within 10 yards.

HarryToolips
06-02-2023, 03:49 PM
https://imgur.com/a/rqmqaV7

Check out this short video. You can’t get much higher than we were when saw this guy. We called him up to within 10 yards.

Great video!......

Dominik
06-02-2023, 05:59 PM
It is not the same as it was 20 years ago when almost all the elk would migrate to the mountains as soon as the snow left. Now, majority of the elk in the EK are non-migratory and hangout in the trench in the farmers fields. Still, there are herds that head into the mountain drainages every summer, only in smaller numbers. The further you go into the road closures and back valleys, the better your chances at success as these elk see much less pressure and therefore still act like elk. Grab a spotting scope, find an hidden back basin and glass all the slides (avalanche chutes) and you will find elk. Look at the tops of mountains at the tree line as well. It still astonishes me how many elk hangout up at the mountain tops in what I would have formerly considered “goat only” country. Elk tend to hangout where the feed is good and the good feed is not in the same spot every year, so don’t necessarily expect to go into a spot year after year and be successful seeing elk. That’s my .02. Sounds like you’re on the right track though, certainly some decent opportunity left for the guy who doesn’t mind strapping on his pack and spending a night or two in the back country. I recommend buying a good compact hammock if you plan to spend nights on the mountain!

I've also read a study on the Rocky mountain trench elk and the trend also show that the elk are starting to be more resident elk than migratory elk.

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/14be4f13-aefd-46d4-a435-867e67be6bb6/view/3ca93d4b-9839-413f-8300-fbd38ab5f09a/Mulligan_Kelly_202101_MSc.pdf

Kinda discouraging that they're also not being managed properly. For what I've heard is that the population size goal is around 25,000 elk which is not a lot considering the area.

Well I guess I will have to start getting in shape for elk season.��

savage10
06-02-2023, 07:29 PM
I’m in the same boat. This will be my second year heading to the EKs as well. Saw tons of hunters and a few elk last year but nothing anywhere near legal. Trying to decide if I want to focus on the same area or head somewhere new. Good luck!

j270wsm
06-02-2023, 07:41 PM
I've also read a study on the Rocky mountain trench elk and the trend also show that the elk are starting to be more resident elk than migratory elk.

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/14be4f13-aefd-46d4-a435-867e67be6bb6/view/3ca93d4b-9839-413f-8300-fbd38ab5f09a/Mulligan_Kelly_202101_MSc.pdf

Kinda discouraging that they're also not being managed properly. For what I've heard is that the population size goal is around 25,000 elk which is not a lot considering the area.

Well I guess I will have to start getting in shape for elk season.��

I’d bet we had around 25k elk back in the early 2000’s when hunting was good, now we’re lucky if there’s 8k

Dominik
06-02-2023, 07:58 PM
I’m in the same boat. This will be my second year heading to the EKs as well. Saw tons of hunters and a few elk last year but nothing anywhere near legal. Trying to decide if I want to focus on the same area or head somewhere new. Good luck!

I know that feeling. Living in Kelowna doesn't make things easier for scouting either.
I've heard the Region 7 still has some very good elk but that's one long drive to get there...

dapesche
06-02-2023, 08:27 PM
If you're headed to the kootenays, please learn how to count to '6'.

Listen to this podcast...
https://play.stitcher.com/episode/206974555

If you're new to elk hunting, don't have an itchy trigger finger and practice counting to 6.

Thank you

Greenthumbed
06-02-2023, 09:37 PM

If you're new to elk hunting, don't have an itchy trigger finger and practice counting to 6.

Thank you

Yup. Too many mistakes being made in the last few years.

jan.wi97
06-02-2023, 10:27 PM

Thank you

I can vouch for Dominiks math abilities (he is my brother in-law) :P
He didn't start off with a joke though so where are all the roasts calling for that???

Bugle M In
06-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Look, some folks will find elk down low or way up high, or any where in between.
I would have to say mist elk are becoming resident elk vs migratory now.
Back when we had good numbers, and elk did migrate, you could find them in the sub alpine no problem.
Quite often in scree slopes by the dozens.
And things change.
I know one fellow who hunted hogs in area, quite the hike up the trail etc.
But then it died out for years.
Recently i am told he is seeing some again.
I have seen elk last week of the season in sheep country in snow covered terrain.
But it does seem the majority of elk there are taken low and with that comes hunter competition.
If we could get the numbers back up, remove the Preds, we could see some real opportunity once again with plenty of area for everyone to find some space to hunt alone.

Walking Buffalo
06-03-2023, 09:44 AM
In Alberta we have pretty much lost our mountain migratory elk herds.
The main cause is wolves taking out the adult elk year round, and bears eating most of the calves.
To survive the predation, Elk have to be near humans now.

The gov can be blamed for the loss of migratory elk, just be sure to know what was screwed up.

Dominik
06-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Yup. Too many mistakes being made in the last few years.

Ya I've heard that as well. That's why I'm overly cautious when it comes to actually pulling the trigger.
I've never considered myself trigger happy. But self judgement can often be skewed.

Greenthumbed
06-03-2023, 10:14 PM
There is lots of pressure on hunters to have success. Like you have said that the hunting pressure is incredibly high for too few legal bulls. Folks come from far and wide to hunt and hope to kill a bull. This is stressful when you have a limit amount to find that legal bull. This leads to some hunters to being more rash than they should. Too much pressure for failure leads to mistakes.
That bull you called in to 50 yards was likely a 5-point or less. There really isn’t a whole lot of 6-point bulls out there and the ones that do grow 6-points get shot. Plain and simple. Not many, if any make it to the next season.
I’ve spent a lot of time chasing elk in the East Kootenay over the last bunch of years. My partners and I have had some success, but for every 6-point we’ve seen there is ten or more 5-points that you call in. It’s hard to put in the time and effort and get that close and have to let it go…. But you have to….

Dominik
06-03-2023, 11:58 PM
There is lots of pressure on hunters to have success. Like you have said that the hunting pressure is incredibly high for too few legal bulls. Folks come from far and wide to hunt and hope to kill a bull. This is stressful when you have a limit amount to find that legal bull. This leads to some hunters to being more rash than they should. Too much pressure for failure leads to mistakes.
That bull you called in to 50 yards was likely a 5-point or less. There really isn’t a whole lot of 6-point bulls out there and the ones that do grow 6-points get shot. Plain and simple. Not many, if any make it to the next season.
I’ve spent a lot of time chasing elk in the East Kootenay over the last bunch of years. My partners and I have had some success, but for every 6-point we’ve seen there is ten or more 5-points that you call in. It’s hard to put in the time and effort and get that close and have to let it go…. But you have to….

That sucks. I wish elk were better managed. We could learn a thing or two from our neighbors down south. I really hate the thought of elk going to LEH but maybe that's something that's necessary..

Bugle M In
06-04-2023, 10:06 AM
I’m with Greenthumbed.
There are plenty of avid elk hunters both locally and from other Regions come every September chafing elk up there.
Locals get to know where a legal bull might be lurking.
Folks working daily in the field get know where a legal bull is.
Come opening, those legal bulls are being hunted hard.
Which leaves mostly 5 pts coming into calls and view.
And there are some big 5 pt bulls in those ranks.
So everyone has got to be extremely careful now.
Hunting season does bring in a competitive nature amongst hunters and quarry.
Its a shame the numbers are so down, and success so limited.
Bit it’s the current reality.
You really have to take your time to count.
And you need to take the time to see the bull from several angles as well.
It’s hard, when you think you only have seconds ti react.
And sometimes you do only have aeconds.
Thise are the times you have to let the bull walk.

358mag
06-04-2023, 11:39 AM

Well Region 4 isnt the only region that has seen a very step increase in hunter ## chasing 6 point bull Elk .
Region 8 is just like you describe Region 4
At least that my finding after hunting them for over 40 + years in Region 8 .

Bugle M In
06-04-2023, 01:52 PM
Yup, when a lot of long time EK elk hunters seen it going downhill, a lot went to the Peace Region.
When the west joints opened up, many went there also.
Now I see the permits in R2 are increasing as well.
About the only area where the numbers are going up, due most likely to limited access, limited opportunity and no wolves, or not enough yet.
Plus a lot if hunters know how to hunt elk now with all the advancements in elk calls etc.

HarryToolips
06-04-2023, 09:30 PM

I agree that too much pressure can lead to mistakes, and the amount of 5 point bulls shot in R4 the last few years is terrible.. but, I honestly don't believe that every bull elk gets shot as soon as it turns into a legal 6 point..mature bull elk are for the most part, quite savvy...and of course the amount of 6 points that survive the season will vary from WMU to WMU..

Dominik
06-04-2023, 09:55 PM
I agree that too much pressure can lead to mistakes, and the amount of 5 point bulls shot in R4 the last few years is terrible.. but, I honestly don't believe that every bull elk gets shot as soon as it turns into a legal 6 point..mature bull elk are for the most part, quite savvy...and of course the amount of 6 points that survive the season will vary from WMU to WMU..

Stupid question: What is "R2" and "R4"? :confused:

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 10:36 PM
Stupid question: What is "R2" and "R4"? :confused:

He is talking about regions, ex. Region 4 = Kootenays.

You have opportunity within hours of where you live if you put the time in. You can scout way more. Okanagan Elk may seem harder, or impossible but there not, if you put the time in the mountains and study the area and them you will find them.

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 10:39 PM

Definitely don't all get shot, there are smart Bulls out there that are masters at evading and staying hidden just like smart big Bucks. There are big Bulls out there they can just be hard to lay eyes on let a lone kill

Dominik
06-04-2023, 10:56 PM
He is talking about regions, ex. Region 4 = Kootenays.

You have opportunity within hours of where you live if you put the time in. You can scout way more. Okanagan Elk may seem harder, or impossible but there not, if you put the time in the mountains and study the area and them you will find them.

Ya I had that facepalm moment where I realized what he meant. Ya I need to get out more. I definitely don't spend enough time scouting. My brother in law recently saw a herd of elk of around 150 in the Okanagan so that's very promising.

BTW love your signature or qhatever its called underneath your posts

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 11:27 PM
Ya I had that facepalm moment where I realized what he meant. Ya I need to get out more. I definitely don't spend enough time scouting. My brother in law recently saw a herd of elk of around 150 in the Okanagan so that's very promising.

BTW love your signature or qhatever its called underneath your posts

I worked hard last year went to the OK every second weekend scouting, it resulted in me finding not one but four different places where Elk have been rutting for a long time. There may be more of them in the Kootenays, and the OK Elk are a tough hunt, but if you can learn an area that is much closer to where you live and you can spend more time there learning it your odds might be better.

HarryToolips
06-05-2023, 07:02 AM
Definitely don't all get shot, there are smart Bulls out there that are masters at evading and staying hidden just like smart big Bucks. There are big Bulls out there they can just be hard to lay eyes on let a lone kill

Exactly my friend... I'll give you guys an example: I have an area in R4 where I've hunted elk the last few seasons- the last time a friend and I had cams in the area, we were monitoring a bachelor group of bulls through the summer - there was 6 bulls in the group, and 5 of them were legal, 1 was a 7 point, the next season, I only hunted the area 3 days, saw 2 bulls, both were legal (1 we harvested).. ya they are hard to find, but they are around... and as discussed in a recent previous thread, we shouldn't be talking about closing hunter opportunities, sometimes it seems like we as hunters can be our own worst enemy- that being said, we do need all hunters to ensure they're being ethical and counting properly, as the amount of illegal bulls shot is terrible..that is definitely detrimental to maintaining a GOS (general open season)..