PDA

View Full Version : Canned Bear Recipes?

ElectricDyck
06-01-2023, 09:41 AM
Anyone want to share a canned bear recipe? Or for that matter any canned red meat recipe.. I'm going to do a bunch of half pint jars for grab and go meals that don't need to be refrigerated. I'm going to start experimenting with a few different ingredients this weekend.

Im thinking onions, peppers and bbq sauce would be tasty..

spreerider
06-01-2023, 11:28 PM
we did a whole bunch of elk, i dont have the exact recipe with me for time and pressure but we just used salt and pepper garlic and a bit of oil then flavour it with whatever we want after its taken out that way its not stuck with one dish or overseasoned, onions work too but i avoid peppers as they get quite bitter in cans sometimes, hot peppers is different i do some with hot peppers but make sure to label them so the wife doesnt eat one by mistake ;)

ElectricDyck
06-02-2023, 08:42 AM
Good to know about the peppers, I've done japepenos in canned salmon with good results...maybe I'll try onions and a jalapeno or 2..

jlirot
06-02-2023, 08:59 AM
I posted in your other thread.

Quart jars
chopped onions, carrots, celery, a clove of garlic, 1/2 bullion cube.

Cold pack.

You have to be careful with oil because it can create a film that keeps your jars from sealing.

I have used the same recipe for bear and venison.

Next time I'm going to experiment with some stews. I've been canning a lot the last 2 years. My family and guests love it!

Check out Hank Shaw - he has some good recipes that would be amenable to canning.

Now I've got to go find a bear. Haven't seen squat this year.

ElectricDyck
06-02-2023, 03:27 PM
I will try that recipe jlirot!

I just finished the taste test on a few different variations of 250ml wide mouths..the winner by a small margin was the browned/carmalized in rendered bear fat, bear, onions and red peppers seasoned lightly with pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder then hot packed with an additional 1/4 tsp of pickling salt, 3 peppercorns, 2 jalapeno slices and 1 tbs of sweet baby rays original bbq sauce. The cold packed version was a close second but the browning and carmalizing does add another layer of depth to the flavour. Its good enough you could pour over some rice and make it a meal or just eat it out of the jar. I've got a few bears to process so I'll probably do a bit of big jars, little jars, hot packed and cold packed.