PDA

View Full Version : moose

3kills
12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
any one see the pics of this moose yet..not sure where or when or whatever but its nice and big and i would like to know how the hell they got it into the truck whole...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/moose1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/moose2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/moose3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/moose4.jpg

lip_ripper00
12-06-2007, 07:19 PM
jeeezzz that is a big one!!!!!:eek::eek:

ryanb
12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I count 9 points on both brows...Is that even possible?!?!

blueboy
12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
that,s too funny, but a real nice moose

Dale
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
that moose came from new brunswick last year i believe. animals must me inspected whole so that is why it is in the back of the truck whole.

kennyj
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
What an incredible set of antlers

Steeleco
12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
that moose came from new brunswick last year i believe. animals must me inspected whole so that is why it is in the back of the truck whole.

But how the heck did they get it in the truck in the first place? Forklift???

Marc
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
But how the heck did they get it in the truck in the first place? Forklift???

My guess is a lot of sweat and tears. :)

TIKA 300
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Thats a big moose,BUT look @ all the axes hanging on the wall in the last pic HMMMMMM is that at the butchers ?????? LOL TK

Will
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Those pics circled around awhile back........it was at a Mandatory game inspection, back East somwhere as I recall ???
I'm pretty sure your expected to bring in the Whole animal......makes a Calf season look good don't it ? :lol: :wink:

Mtn Man
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
lucky hunter, poor truck.

coastalhunter
12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
It's from Campbellton, in northern New Brunswick this fall. They have a 3 day season only (LEH) at the end of September where you can shoot any moose. It's kinda crazy for those 3 days!!! All moose shot during the 3 days must be registered at a registration station. Loaded with a front end loader.If I recall, it is 42 points!!! I have a relative that works with the shooter.

curt
12-06-2007, 10:37 PM
i seen one very similar in size this year in whole just like that on the back of a ford f350 flat deck close to pink mountain you could see him coming a km back at least wow what a monster thats my goal if i could do that i'd hang up the gun on the wall!!!

Sharkey
12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
if i could do that i'd hang up the gun on the wall!!!

You'd have to reinforce the wall to get that guy's head to stay up!
~D

Big7
12-06-2007, 11:51 PM
StoneChaser and I put two moose in my half ton Ford one year (both whole) - a 44" and a 2 point (shot them 45 min apart!) - no fork lifts just a little 'ol fashioned elbow grease - it can be done!!

3kills
12-07-2007, 07:30 AM
ya but i think that one there is a lil bit bigger then a 44 inch and a 2 point LOL

Wildman
12-07-2007, 08:00 AM

You are right, I remember the story.

TGF
12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
My uncle routinely loads them whole like that....even big ones. No elbow grease needed. Just takes a big pulley and puts it about 12 feet up a good size tree. Runs airplane cable from truck (tied off on bumper) thru pulley then out to moose. He attaches a rope to neck head area so if moose gets hung up then the rope will break instead of cable. Attaches the airplane cable to rope then pulls with his truck. Usually we have 2 way radios and someone tells him when the moose is up in the tree. He stops and parks it, then drives another truck under the moose or ties it off to tree, and then backs up the truck holding the cable. If tied to tree he backs the vehicle under attaches a 2 ton come along and slowly lowers the moose down to bed of truck.
He carries a box in back of his truck for all the rolls of 1/4 inch cable he has and all the rigging.

Once when I was hunting with him we came around a corner to see this old chap gathering things out of his truck to go clean a moose. We stopped to talk to him and he got a moose accross the swamp. He was staying in a camp up the road and had to wait quite a few hours till his fellow hunters would be back to get it with machines. He stayed in camp to do chores and went out to get firewood. Saw the moose accross the swamp and shot it. Uncle offered to load it for him. He said if you can, but you don't have an ATV. My uncle said watch and learn. The moose was about 400 yards accross the wet swamp. I volunteered to run the cable over the swamp. Got a little wet from the knees down. Did the same set up as previously mentioned. It was easy pulling as uncle was on the main logging road. Pulling from hook up till we had the big bull moose up in the tree was less than 2 minutes. We gutted the moose as it hung in the tree, then when done, he backed his truck under the poplar tree and uncle backed up and the bull dropped slowly down to the bed of his truck. The old fella we found out was 82 years old and had hunted for years. He was quite giddy about getting it into his truck so fast and clean. He asked us what was he going to tell his younger partners? We said to tell them for a joke that he loaded it himself.

cbearw
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
My uncle routinely loads them whole like that....even big ones. No elbow grease needed. Just takes a big pulley and puts it about 12 feet up a good size tree. Runs airplane cable from truck (tied off on bumper) thru pulley then out to moose. He attaches a rope to neck head area so if moose gets hung up then the rope will break instead of cable. Attaches the airplane cable to rope then pulls with his truck. Usually we have 2 way radios and someone tells him when the moose is up in the tree. He stops and parks it, then drives another truck under the moose or ties it off to tree, and then backs up the truck holding the cable. If tied to tree he backs the vehicle under attaches a 2 ton come along and slowly lowers the moose down to bed of truck.
He carries a box in back of his truck for all the rolls of 1/4 inch cable he has and all the rigging.

Once when I was hunting with him we came around a corner to see this old chap gathering things out of his truck to go clean a moose. We stopped to talk to him and he got a moose accross the swamp. He was staying in a camp up the road and had to wait quite a few hours till his fellow hunters would be back to get it with machines. He stayed in camp to do chores and went out to get firewood. Saw the moose accross the swamp and shot it. Uncle offered to load it for him. He said if you can, but you don't have an ATV. My uncle said watch and learn. The moose was about 400 yards accross the wet swamp. I volunteered to run the cable over the swamp. Got a little wet from the knees down. Did the same set up as previously mentioned. It was easy pulling as uncle was on the main logging road. Pulling from hook up till we had the big bull moose up in the tree was less than 2 minutes. We gutted the moose as it hung in the tree, then when done, he backed his truck under the poplar tree and uncle backed up and the bull dropped slowly down to the bed of his truck. The old fella we found out was 82 years old and had hunted for years. He was quite giddy about getting it into his truck so fast and clean. He asked us what was he going to tell his younger partners? We said to tell them for a joke that he loaded it himself.

Thats an interesting read. I wonder if your uncle was a logger of some sort. A lot of loggers/beachcombers know a lot of ways to rig logs for extra purchasing power using blocks. They employ tailholds, blocks, lufts, double lufts, rolls, directional changes etc. Sounds like your Uncle got some rigging skills himself or they were passed down to him. Amazing what can be done with some rope/cable and a block or two. Thanks for posting.

TGF
12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Thats an interesting read. I wonder if your uncle was a logger of some sort. A lot of loggers/beachcombers know a lot of ways to rig logs for extra purchasing power using blocks. They employ tailholds, blocks, lufts, double lufts, rolls, directional changes etc. Sounds like your Uncle got some rigging skills himself or they were passed down to him. Amazing what can be done with some rope/cable and a block or two. Thanks for posting.

Yes he logged for 45 years mostly in the Okanagan as well as northern BC.

cbearw
12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes he logged for 45 years mostly in the Okanagan as well as northern BC.

Yes that makes perfect sense now. I logged on the coast for 10 years. Beachcomb, blowdown, handlog. Lots of fun but not for the faint of heart.:smile:

M.Dean
12-08-2007, 04:42 AM
I think the best way to get a bull that big into the back of a truck is to shoot him in the back of the truck!!! Maybe a little grain on the floor, some hay on the roof etc!!! I shot a LEH bull this year alone with my quad and trailer, sounds easy, just throw him in the trailer and drive home, not that easy! I'll try to post some pic's, it was quite the workout but i did it.

hunter1947
12-08-2007, 05:52 AM
A friend of mine sent me the attachment about a month ago ,that is one bib moose alright.

Ltbullken
12-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Holy crap!!! By the sweet jeez! New Brunswick? Didn't think they grew them that big there though I have seen some bruisers in the CFB Gagetown swamps.

Feed a village for a month with that monster.

Husky7mm
12-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow what a moose, I thought only alaska/yukons got that big. For a canadian moose that must be a record. Poor Dakota, but that would'nt stop me either!