PDA

View Full Version : First time staying out of backpack, any invaluable little things a guy might want?

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 09:21 AM
Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.

303carbine
05-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Itching to climb to the top of this mountain since I layed eyes on it and started poking around on it. Got lots of good sign lower on it but I think up high is going to hold some good stuff.

Recently bought a pack and pack tent, so this will be my first time putting them to use. I got all of the essentials and there is lots of water up there and the weather should be good. Just wondering if there is any little things you guys experienced with pack hunting bring that I never even thought about, like thermacel, a small container of bleach to keep bears away (an example, not sure if that one works, was told by someone it works in Grizz country to put beside tent) or whatever it may be to make things better.

Mostly scouting for Bucks but if I see a Bear at the right time and place I will take him, so got game bags and the essentials for that, but obviously don't want to get carried away with the weight. I'll be up there for 4 days. It is too much to hike up for just a day and go back down so figured I would put tent/pack to use and have some fun and stay up and really look around up there.

Bring your water purifier and some camo TP.............:lol:

Bustercluck
05-29-2023, 10:32 AM
Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.

Bustercluck
05-29-2023, 10:34 AM
Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?

grantk
05-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Not sure about the bleach, but I usually just hang my underwear that I wore on the hike in on a pole outside my tent to keep the bears away. Wear synthetic instead of wool for extra stank.

Bring a big garbage bin bag to load your meat in the game bags into for packing out. Saves getting blood all over your pack.

MichelD
05-29-2023, 10:49 AM
Water is heavy, but unless you know for certain there are streams or springs coming out of the mountain, bring some.

I slept out on a mountain once just wrapped in a blue tarp. Woke up with frost on it but I was warm and cosy in my sleeping bag. Wouldn't want to try that if rain was foreacast. Sometimes mountains will catch precipitation that won't occur elsewhere.

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Drop your pack list and I’ll see if I can add something.

Every trip I go on with my brother he pulls something out that I never thought of bringing and he usually brings one for me too.

I will throw out a tip if you’re new with a new bag. I pack any scented stuff into 3 different dry sacks. Usually all of my food in a long one that goes against my back above my sleeping bag, a second for booze and a small third bag that has stuff like sunscreen, batteries, pocket juice, electrical tape, ear plugs. It makes it easy to pull all of the bear attractants out of your bag and keep away from your shelter while you’re sleeping. Then in the morning you can load your bag in seconds and get going. You can also hang a bear bell 6” below the dry bags so it makes a bit of racket if something goes after it.

I'll put the list here later when i'm home.

Good thinkin, forgot that Bears are attracted to petroleum smell. More than just food for sure

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 12:42 PM
Have you figured out how to load your bag and where to put everything so you have the essential stuff easy to access and the less essential stuff tucked a bit deeper?

No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 12:44 PM
Not sure about the bleach, but I usually just hang my underwear that I wore on the hike in on a pole outside my tent to keep the bears away. Wear synthetic instead of wool for extra stank.

Bring a big garbage bin bag to load your meat in the game bags into for packing out. Saves getting blood all over your pack.

If I have hung my meat and it has cooled and set, does the garbage bags make it sweat at that point at all do you find?

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 12:47 PM
Water is heavy, but unless you know for certain there are streams or springs coming out of the mountain, bring some.

I slept out on a mountain once just wrapped in a blue tarp. Woke up with frost on it but I was warm and cosy in my sleeping bag. Wouldn't want to try that if rain was foreacast. Sometimes mountains will catch precipitation that won't occur elsewhere.

Lots of water up there for sure, I was there last year when it was so dry for so long and there was tons of run off coming down still. I got a collapsible 20L water jug too i'm going to bring so I can hike from camp to a creek fill it so I got water for there

RobbieH
05-29-2023, 01:41 PM
I like to ditch all the dry bags and storage sack etc for things like my tent, quilt, pad, puffy jacket etc that they all come with. They are redundant and imo make packing efficiently more difficult. You end up with a bunch of various sized hard objects that don’t pack into your bag nice. I’ve found it much better to line your bag with a garbage bag or other liner and jam all your dry stuff into that. Keep your bottom straps on the pack cinched a bit so you don’t end up with a diaper butt from jamming it all down. All that stuff is typically lightweight and should be at the bottom of your pack. Also, you don’t need that stuff easy access until end of the day so bottom of the pack is best. It packs down nice and you don’t end up with a bunch of dead space. Next in your bag, mid way and close to your back is your heavier stuff. Food, water, cook kit, kill kit, possibles etc. this stuff also by virtue of being heavier compresses the lighter stuff at the bottom. If that stuff was in a bunch of compression sacks you’d realize at this point things aren’t fitting as good. Then you have your quick access stuff for the day at the top of pack or in your lid. Also this makes setting up and tearing camp quicker not worrying getting everything back in their bags.

if you like YouTube the guys at EXO Mountain Gear do the best videos on this IMO. Wish I could afford one of their packs! They also have a free gear packing spreadsheet you can download of their website which is awesome, works great and after using it once makes every subsequent trip i breeze to pack for

Arby's
05-29-2023, 01:53 PM
This might be a bit precious of me, but SPF chapstick is my one weird 'can't live without' item on a backpack trip. I put it on my forehead and nose as well as lips, and avoid that horrible feeling of raw chapped skin the next morning. Much less fuss than a big bottle of sunscreen if you'll be exposed during the day.

Bustercluck
05-29-2023, 02:00 PM
No I was going to start doing that tonight actually, see where i'm going to put what
I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 10:00 PM
I like to ditch all the dry bags and storage sack etc for things like my tent, quilt, pad, puffy jacket etc that they all come with. They are redundant and imo make packing efficiently more difficult. You end up with a bunch of various sized hard objects that don’t pack into your bag nice. I’ve found it much better to line your bag with a garbage bag or other liner and jam all your dry stuff into that. Keep your bottom straps on the pack cinched a bit so you don’t end up with a diaper butt from jamming it all down. All that stuff is typically lightweight and should be at the bottom of your pack. Also, you don’t need that stuff easy access until end of the day so bottom of the pack is best. It packs down nice and you don’t end up with a bunch of dead space. Next in your bag, mid way and close to your back is your heavier stuff. Food, water, cook kit, kill kit, possibles etc. this stuff also by virtue of being heavier compresses the lighter stuff at the bottom. If that stuff was in a bunch of compression sacks you’d realize at this point things aren’t fitting as good. Then you have your quick access stuff for the day at the top of pack or in your lid. Also this makes setting up and tearing camp quicker not worrying getting everything back in their bags.

if you like YouTube the guys at EXO Mountain Gear do the best videos on this IMO. Wish I could afford one of their packs! They also have a free gear packing spreadsheet you can download of their website which is awesome, works great and after using it once makes every subsequent trip i breeze to pack for

Hahaha diaper butt! i'll make sure to cinch those straps up there.

I'll check that video out for sure

TheObserver
05-29-2023, 10:10 PM
I’ll try and give a quick explanation of how I pack my marshall and if I have time I’ll take a few pics tonight.

From the bottom- sleeping bag in the sleeping bag compartment and I have been throwing my spotting scope in there lately too, only because I don’t have a scope pocket on my bag. On the outside of the pocket is where I strap down my tent. I use a cimarron so it’s just the shell of the tent on the outside and the carbon pole goes inside my bag if I’m bushwhacking or I stuff it in one of the side pockets for trails.

Above the sleeping bag, I drop in a long dry bag with all of my food in it and push it against my back. In my food bag I organize my meals out day by day, I’ll start with my last dinner, then afternoon snacks, ichiban, morning snacks, breakfast so as I work through my trip I’m not digging through my food sack looking for stuff.I stuff all of my clothes and game bags around the food dry sack to the outside edges of my pack. On top of all of that is where I put my jetboil, food cooking container, water filter and whatever smaller items I might need during the day. Cinch the bag shut. My bag has a tie down on top of the bag and below the lid where I put my 4litre water bladder inside my rain coat and cinch it down.

torpedo pockets on the back- ultra lightweight rain pants, first aid kit, gloves and I can’t remember what else, lol

lid- siltarp, bullets,knife, ear plugs. I’m drawing a blank on what else is in there, but it’s full

and I don’t use a camelback type bladder, just a 1 litre nalgene on my hip belt. I find the bladders too much of a pain in the ass to refill in the middle of the day.

Just think about functionality and what you’re most likely to do during the day. If you have to empty out half of your bag to get at your water filter or food than your likely to keep pushing yourself and going without, which is bad. I can open my bag, pull a few things out and have lunch, filter water and keep on trekking without too much hassle.

Make sure you take an emergen-c every night and bring those lightweight zip starters.

What i'll take with me this time is in my bag:

My collapsible/foldable 20L water jug
Water purifying bottle (700ml)
Rope/paracord
1 battery powered lantern
Batteries
Tent
Sleeping bag
Food (never eat breakfast so will be lunch and dinner X3)
Mattress
Small axe
Saw
Knives/sharpener
Gloves
Extra laces and belt
Tape & surveyors tape
Thermacell
Gamebags
2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
News/wax paper
Toilet paper
Small towel
First aid
Flashlight/headlamps
Stove/fuel
Pot
Toothbrush/paste/floss/utensils
Socks/boxers/shirt/shorts/sandals/bug jacket
Silpoly tarp
Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too

thompie505
05-30-2023, 03:51 PM
I think having a headlamp/lantern/batteries is a bit redundant. I bought a very small backup headlamp that I pack in case my primary breaks when going solo. Couple extra batteries for sure. I use Leuko Tape, great for preventing/stopping blisters. Doesn’t peel off like every other tape I’ve tried. Wrap it around your Nalgene about 10 times. Good sunglasses, 2nd on the chapstick, I wouldn’t worry about deodorant, a small thing of baby wipes is great. Pair of light flip flops for camp is really underrated, but also a luxury item. I’d ditch the extra belt, if it somehow breaks, rope would work. Are you planning on having a fire? If you’re in the alpine, not sure if you’ll need an axe. Small folding saw is plenty for small branches and processing. Thermacell can be replaced by a cheap bug head net. Couple small carabiners are great multipurpose items.

IronNoggin
05-30-2023, 04:53 PM
If I have hung my meat and it has cooled and set, does the garbage bags make it sweat at that point at all do you find?

You want to be very careful using standard garbage bags. the vast majority are chemically treated to help break down their contents. That stuff is NASTY and I certainly would not recommend them getting anywhere any meat I was going to consume!!

Some contractor's bags avoid this. Worth looking into IMHO...

Cheers,
Nog

Bustercluck
05-30-2023, 05:57 PM
I second the no lantern thing. Headlamp with spare batteries and a small pen light. Toque.

advil, Tylenol,Aleve Benadryl. like above, baby wipes for sure.

I had giardia a couple years ago, I’m not sure if pepto Bismal would’ve helped to get me out of the bush.

Bustercluck
05-30-2023, 06:44 PM
Mini bics in every pocket. Bear spray might save your life. Superglue. Those little self adhesive glue sticker things that patch an air mattress in a pinch.

chris
05-31-2023, 05:14 AM
When I used to stay out of a pack I would always leave water/Gatorade in the truck. You really don't know how tired or thirsty your return will be. That room temperature bottle of Gatorade that you stashed in your truck can be the best drink of your life.

Muledeercrazy2
05-31-2023, 07:14 AM
there are some good threads on sheep hunting gear/pack lists here. Really the hard part is not bringing to much. One good trick i was told is to wrap some duct tape around your water bottle for an emergency repair. You might not need the extra knife, saw, axe, etc

HarryToolips
05-31-2023, 07:31 AM
In addition to the essentials, just quickly off the top of my head: siltarp or small lightweight tarp to keep rain or sun off you and your equipment, a pack-alarm to set up around your camp is a very nice security item, string/rope to hang your food, as well as for other misc tasks/camp setup, multitool, extra compass, extra headlamp, I also carry an LED 'camp-light' that is convenient to have around camp, and, a rag to keep in your tent, to wipe away the condensation in your tent in the morning...

Ron.C
05-31-2023, 07:34 AM
Everyone is different and has their own needs/preferences.

This is what i'd be ditching from your list:
20L water jug- I wouldnt be carrying that very far full and if I was close enough to water to consider it, i'd just make more trips with a smaller bladder.

Battey lantern- seems redundant if you have a headlamp.

Axe- when im backpack hunting im backpack hunting. Never needed an axe to make a fire or shelter. I have no need for an axe unless I want to practice bush craft shelters etc.

Extra belt- can use some of the small cordage (usually a bit of 550 cord) from my kill kit if needed.

Boot laces- same as above

Plastic to set meat on - just put it straight into game bags

Anyhow, good luck and have fun!

eatram
05-31-2023, 08:46 AM
dental floss. key for trigger lock. magazine for gun. water bottle. chapstick. backpack. more bullets. toilet paper. regs. batteries. Boots....

Each of these were needed on different back pack hunts. Each of these were forgotten on different hunts. So what I am trying to spell out is, you will always forget something. You can not be prepared enough. Make sure you know how to survive...

Ridgehunter604
06-01-2023, 01:07 PM
An extra empty large mouth bottle in the tent for late at night is a game changer.

Bustercluck
06-01-2023, 07:23 PM
dental floss. key for trigger lock. magazine for gun. water bottle. chapstick. backpack. more bullets. toilet paper. regs. batteries. Boots....

Each of these were needed on different back pack hunts. Each of these were forgotten on different hunts. So what I am trying to spell out is, you will always forget something. You can not be prepared enough. Make sure you know how to survive...
I break my gear list down like this rifle****bolt*****magazine*** bullets
tent***carbon pole***ground sheet

Getbent
06-03-2023, 08:30 PM

This is the key^^^^

dino
06-03-2023, 11:09 PM

Rope/paracord
Batteries
Tent
Sleeping bag
Mattress
Small axe
Saw
Knives/sharpener
Gloves
Extra laces and belt
Tape & surveyors tape
Thermacell
Gamebags
2 pieces of plastic (I will use on ground if I don't want to take 2 trips for meat)
News/wax paper
Toilet paper
Small towel
First aid
Flashlight/headlamps
Stove/fuel
Pot
Silpoly tarp
Zap straps

The rest I will have in my pant pockets and bino harness, may bring a trail cam too

You sound a little heavy.
How long is the hike and how many days inwiil you be?

madcalfe
06-04-2023, 07:58 AM

Rope/paracord
Batteries
Tent
Sleeping bag
Mattress
Small axe
Saw
Knives/sharpener
Gloves
Extra laces and belt
Tape & surveyors tape
Thermacell
Gamebags
News/wax paper
Toilet paper
Small towel
First aid
Flashlight/headlamps
Stove/fuel
Pot
Silpoly tarp
Zap straps

-ditch the 20L water jug - just take a 2 or 3L bladder
-ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
-id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
-ditch the axe, use your bone saw if you need to cut bigger branches
-ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
-ditch the surveyors tape, download a GPS app on your phone ie fatmaps
-ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
-ditch the news/ wax paper, not needed
-ditch the small towel, your going to stink regardless its just extra weight
-ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light
-ditch the shorts you'll most likely get ate alive
-ditch the bug jacket. just a head net will do
-ditch the zap straps. have paracord

Greenthumbed
06-04-2023, 08:08 AM
-ditch the water purifying bottle- we live in BC, flowing water is easy to come by
take chlorine tablets if your worried or even a life straw. ive never not been able to find water in the mountains.
-id try and take something for breakfast even instant oatmeal packets will work. force yourself too eat in the morning.
-ditch the extra belt and shoe laces just put new laces in your boots prior to going out (paracord can be used as a belt if needed)
-ditch the thermacell. you'll become one with the mosquitoes after a day or 2 (a small bug head net will work)
-ditch the flashlight and only bring a headlamp. id recommend a spare headlamp over a flash light

This is all good advice. Your packing list is too heavy.

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 08:21 PM
You sound a little heavy.
How long is the hike and how many days inwiil you be?

I started hiking up Friday first light, came out today. Not sure how long the hike is in distance but it took me 6 hours to get to almost the top of the mountain where I set camp. Was a good trip got into some unreal looking area

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 08:23 PM

Yeah there was a lot on here I did not end up taking, and even some of the stuff I did take I didn't use, so for next time I know. But was doable did it was good trip going to go back there in July or August when rest of snow is gone along with other pack in areas over the summer. Going to do this area in October/November I think so will have a entirely different packing list for then.

Any of you guys do back pack trips later in the season/winter?

Bustercluck
06-04-2023, 09:02 PM
Yeah there was a lot on here I did not end up taking, and even some of the stuff I did take I didn't use, so for next time I know. But was doable did it was good trip. Going to do this area in October/November I think so will have a entirely different packing list for then.

Any of you guys do back pack trips later in the season/winter?
I get nervous about snow later in the season, especially if you’re somewhere steep. The thought of carrying a heavy bag and going for a ride seems a tad dangerous to me. I’ve seen a few guys on here pull skimmers behind them in the snow to get where they’re going.

As far as camping in the cold, it’s not a big deal, especially if you have a backpacking stove. I’ve slept in the -30s in a 4 season msr tent on quad trips. I’ve used my Cimarron and stove in similar weather with 2 adults and my son. The hardest part about cold weather is keeping your water from freezing.

Bustercluck
06-04-2023, 09:18 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/1a/82/st6ENQcZ_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/st6ENQcZ) https://images2.imgbox.com/65/5d/SmUETD5P_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/SmUETD5P)

Bustercluck
06-04-2023, 09:24 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/f6/09/z6TeDdYe_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/z6TeDdYe) https://images2.imgbox.com/f6/b2/O5Tw1EIr_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/O5Tw1EIr) https://images2.imgbox.com/9c/8e/7gH8s7DX_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/7gH8s7DX)

TheObserver
06-04-2023, 10:53 PM
I get nervous about snow later in the season, especially if you’re somewhere steep. The thought of carrying a heavy bag and going for a ride seems a tad dangerous to me. I’ve seen a few guys on here pull skimmers behind them in the snow to get where they’re going.

As far as camping in the cold, it’s not a big deal, especially if you have a backpacking stove. I’ve slept in the -30s in a 4 season msr tent on quad trips. I’ve used my Cimarron and stove in similar weather with 2 adults and my son. The hardest part about cold weather is keeping your water from freezing.

Do you got one of those little foldable backpacking wood stoves? Those things look sweet, my tent couldn't do that unless I modified it. I would probably just need to wear wool and a toque and gloves to sleep in a good sleeping bag. But when I go it probably won't get below minus 10 this will be in Region 2. May do a region 3 late Mulie hunt in 2024 when I got some late season backpacking experience under my belt here first.

Bustercluck
06-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I use the lite outdoors stove. I don’t think it’s the best on the market, but it works.

I double up my socks at night and put a neck warmer over my chin and a toque on my head. I think my bag is made by mountain hardware and rated for -35ish. It’s synthetic fill and weighs around 5 pounds, but it’s really bulky.

You’re bringing back some memories here. Putting your boots on in the morning is pretty shitty. I’ve tried all kinds of things like putting those hand warmers in my boots before bed and as soon as I wake up.