PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sukunka Rd and Rail Condition and Access

Muledeercrazy2
05-19-2023, 05:28 PM
Hi All,
Is anyone able to give me some general info on the condition of the road and the rail line that is shown on the BCBR mapbooks at the southern end of Sukunka FSR? Does the road still make it close to the rail bed? Obviously i would be appreciative of recent game counts, density info (i know, i am dreaming) recent logging, etc…. But any general info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Arctic Lake
05-19-2023, 07:13 PM
Not much help as I have not been that way for well over 20 years . I used to hunt on the other side of the mountains , there is a tunnel through the mountains , it follows the Table river on the other side and then down along side the Parsnip River That rail line if it’s the one I’m thinking about hauled coal from Tumble Ridge
Arctic Lake
Hi All,
Is anyone able to give me some general info on the condition of the road and the rail line that is shown on the BCBR mapbooks at the southern end of Sukunka FSR? Does the road still make it close to the rail bed? Obviously i would be appreciative of recent game counts, density info (i know, i am dreaming) recent logging, etc…. But any general info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Muledeercrazy2
05-19-2023, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, thought it was likely the rail line was for coal but the tunnel is interesting. It did look like a steep grade.

Downwindtracker2
05-20-2023, 02:56 PM
The rail line was electric. Since the loaded trains went down hill they charged, the electric line was a net electricity gain.

Muledeercrazy2
05-20-2023, 04:16 PM
Thanks, interesting. Was there an overhead cable or did they manage it with the tracks? I know some guys that worked there, i should pick there brains. Still hoping to find out what condition the Sukunka FSR is in.

338edgehunter
05-20-2023, 04:57 PM
The roads high grade loads of oil activity in the area

Muledeercrazy2
05-20-2023, 05:44 PM
Thanks, appreciate it

Sitkaspruce
05-20-2023, 07:14 PM
CGL is building pipeline in the back end of the Sukunka there again this summer, so there will be lots of activity right up until the winter.

Cheers

SS

MRP
05-21-2023, 07:13 AM
The rail line was electric. Since the loaded trains went down hill they charged, the electric line was a net electricity gain.
Not electric now they took the lines down years ago.

Downwindtracker2
05-21-2023, 08:17 AM
I worked on the building of the two mines, Bullmoose and Quintette (sp) . Working at Bullmoose, we drove in the back way, cutting across the loadout . But I never saw a coal train, they weren't running them yet. They used Moles, tunneling machines, to dig the tunnels. Going electric also saved installing ventilation.

northof49
05-21-2023, 10:05 AM
Lots of griz there….tough place to be a moose in the spring

Muledeercrazy2
05-23-2023, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess the tunnel would be blocked off these days? I checked out the CGL route map and it looks like the FSR and rail line are a ways past that. Is there industrial activity as far as I am looking at? Still really curious to know if the road is good that far? The BCBRMB mentions there is a trail to hook lake? Not what i was interested in, but any chance anyone knows about that? Thanks