PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly spring hunt.

daycort
12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I have been wanting to ask some of the southern boys from the coast about what area to apply for a spring draw. Since evey season is pretty much wrapped up I thought I would go trolling for some answers. I will be going archery primarily but of course I will have my rifle for the big guy.

big game walker hounds
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM
the most grizzlys ive ever seen is in buet, now draw there though, mosses inlet of nights is pritty good, i just spent 7 weeks there working , saw lots flying back and forth from the barge to the cut blocks. out of all the time and areas ive logged through that coast i would say mosses. good luck.

12-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Two othes and myself are going to put in for spring grizzly...I hope one of us gets drawn...I absolutely LOVE grizzly hunting.
By the way, there are no grizzlies in the West Kootenays, so don't bother applying there.

Wildman
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Knights Inlet or Seymour Inlet........I'm not sure if you canb hunt in Knights any more......there was a cabin specially for hunters at the IFP camp, but I havent been there for 6 years now. We have a camp in Seymour that we allow hunters to stay sometimes.

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Knights Inlet or Seymour Inlet........I'm not sure if you canb hunt in Knights any more......there was a cabin specially for hunters at the IFP camp, but I havent been there for 6 years now. We have a camp in Seymour that we allow hunters to stay sometimes.

Some place to moore a boat?

pupper
12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
north coast BC, Terrace etc.

BearSniper
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Too bad you couldn't apply near Squamish.:-?

They had a few in there this past spring & fall.

I remember that SRUPP got a real dandy one up the coast from Bella Coola near the mouth of a large river. You can see his pictures on the site.

It was a real hog.

As for me I always apply in region 4.

Will
12-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I remember that SRUPP got a real dandy one up the coast from Bella Coola near the mouth of a large river. You can see his pictures on the site.

It was a real hog.

Regarding Srupp's buddy's Bear.....Hog is an understatement;)

As for where to apply ?
I've been trying for 12 years give or take....might change it up this spring and go for one of those easy to get impossible to fill tags just to say I got drawn :???:

daycort
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
there are no grizzlies in the West Kootenays, so don't bother applying there.

yes I know there are short on all wild critters;-).

I have a little river boat that you can tow behind a quad. so i can get in to some pretty tight areas, as long as the trail is wide enough.:lol:

I would love to try for a big salmon fed bear.:biggrin:

Wildman
12-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Some place to moore a boat?

Yes, a few. Right at the head by the river there is a small cove that someone has made a warf etc.... There is also two dump sites an another warf. You may not want to make this trip next year. It would be better to go once the loggers pull out as we have full blown ops going on in there right now. Plus heli loggers. I doubt they will be done until this time next year. Mind you, if you want Coho, the limit is 4/day and they are monsters in there (the run is mid-late October).

mikek blacktail
12-07-2007, 08:53 AM
if I get a draw my brother in law says he used to guide sight see ers and will take me hunting in knights

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Never been up to the headwaters... Fished the entrance before. Maybe I'll just have to make the trip in, this summer.

LOVE to hear the word "logging"!

Thanks.

Wildman
12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
If I were to pick a place to go, it would definatly be Knights.

Wildman
12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Never been up to the headwaters... Fished the entrance before. Maybe I'll just have to make the trip in, this summer.

LOVE to hear the word "logging"!

Thanks.

Make sure you check the tides......the Nawatco Rapids are one of the fastest most dangerous in the world, I think that there is only a few minutes of slack. They can run up to 20 knots. If your boat can go faster you are fine, but there are whirl pools and logs that you really need to watch for. Is your boat aluminum? If so your laughing, if not make sure you time your trip. I think I have a vid of the rapids.......looking.

I love logging too:lol:

Wildman
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Make sure you check the tides......the Nawatco Rapids are one of the fastest most dangerous in the world, I think that there is only a few minutes of slack. They can run up to 20 knots. If your boat can go faster you are fine, but there are whirl pools and logs that you really need to watch for. Is your boat aluminum? If so your laughing, if not make sure you time your trip. I think I have a vid of the rapids.......looking.

I love logging too:lol:

Video of the rapids...they were only running at 9 or 10 knots that day. The video doesn't do them justice...
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z137/Islandwild_2007/?action=view&current=b00b3cd2.pbr

Mr. Dean
12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Haven't run them but am familur w/ Skookumchuck which are on par w/ Nawatco.

Yup, it be girly squealing time when it's runnin full bore.

BCbillies
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM
north coast BC, Terrace etc.

Not that many bears up here! Numbers have gone down in recent years. ;-)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/th_Sept252003Grizzly.jpg (http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/Sept252003Grizzly.jpg)
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/th_Sept292001Grizzly.jpg (http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/Sept292001Grizzly.jpg)
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/th_May82004Grizzly.jpg (http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/BCbillies/May82004Grizzly.jpg)

srupp
12-07-2007, 06:18 PM
hmmm there are STILL coastal areas I know that hold up to 80 grizzlies during the spring green up....

As for BIG bears the North coast still has some big bears also..IMHO any coastal LEH will hold pretty good #'s I looked at 5 LEH'S for coastal areas and ALL would have more than a dozen bears in each area...

ps..anyone gets a LEH for any of the areas I know I will of course help with information and maps...

Steven

boxhitch
12-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I would love to try for a big salmon fed bear.:biggrin:
Count me in on that wish list. Hopefully before another moratorium.

BCbillies
12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Count me in on that wish list. Hopefully before another moratorium.

X2. It's been four long years since my last fall hunt.

Bring a few extra pairs of shorts, you'll need them. :eek: After a dozen grizz in one day in a tight little salmon infested creek like TSW ventured into during September and you'll be begging for the fresh shorts and perhaps feeling a little undergunned even with the 300wmag. Unfortunately this year I missed out on the action but next year I'm in.

daycort
12-07-2007, 11:17 PM
how is the klinaklini to run. say from one eye lake klinaklini lake, and a little past.

TSW
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
X2. It's been four long years since my last fall hunt.

Bring a few extra pairs of shorts, you'll need them. :eek: After a dozen grizz in one day in a tight little salmon infested creek like TSW ventured into during September and you'll be begging for the fresh shorts and perhaps feeling a little undergunned even with the 300wmag. Unfortunately this year I missed out on the action but next year I'm in.

Yeah, 6 K and I found ourselves into some sticky predicaments this fall. Walked out of that creek in the dark with a full diaper!! Hunting a small salmon creek creates great chances, just make sure your gun is sighted in for 10ft! :eek: I know it's "all about bullet placement" but it would sure make a guy feel better packing around a big fat rifle in times of need! In those circumstances, I think size matters!!!
Check out this gun:
http://www.470mbogo.com/RecoilVideo.html

Sweet bears by the way BC Billies!!

BCbillies
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
[quote=TSW;217869] just make sure your gun is sighted in for 10ft! :eek: I know it's "all about bullet placement" but it would sure make a guy feel better packing around a big fat rifle in times of need! In those circumstances, I think size matters!!!

For the spring hunt the shots are typically in the 100 to 150 yard range so the 7 mm or 06 with good placement is fine. The fall hunt in the salmon creeks is a whole different story and I think the recoil of the big calibre will pale in comparison to the recoil of the 800 lb bear as it mows over you. :o Give these animals the respect they deserve and if you find a partner, treat him or her like gold as they're a rare breed!

Get those LEH's in. If we don't use them we'll lose em. Unless your hunting with a seasoned grizz hunter it may take you 3 or 4 successful LEH draws to bag a bear!

primmed
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
ok who wants to go for grizz with me first time putting in for limited entry anything so everyone tells me I'll have beginers luck and get a draw lol I cant find anyone who wants to go why is this so tuff!!!