PDA

View Full Version : Morale boosting mountain meals?

Bustercluck
05-13-2023, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about trying some more breakfast options so we could sit around on day 5 or so and enjoy somewhat of a good breakfast. I tend to run out of gas around day 6 and I’m starting to feel my age a bit.

Here’s my thoughts. Dehydrated breakfast sausage(Turkey or lean ground pork) scrambled eggs(which I already make) and some costco dehydrated hash browns.

I also make my own bacon and could over cure it with salt and just soak it in some water for a half hour when it’s time to eat. I’m sure it would last a few days in my bag.

Might even do a couple of these and try to relax a couple times for a good brunch instead of going flat out until I drop.

RyoTHC
05-13-2023, 11:08 AM
Know anyone with a freeze dryer ?
we eat like kings first day until the last day, anything you can think of pretty much..

from steaks, to chicken and ice cream sandwiches. Morale is always high.

Razor84
05-13-2023, 11:16 AM
rip back to town for some chinese food!

walks with deer
05-13-2023, 11:47 AM
Know anyone with a freeze dryer ?
we eat like kings first day until the last day, anything you can think of pretty much..

from steaks, to chicken and ice cream sandwiches. Morale is always high.

Freeze drying moose steaks and pasta with a meaty sause right now!!!

RyoTHC
05-13-2023, 11:51 AM
Freeze drying moose steaks and pasta with a meaty sause right now!!!

Funny enough I found game meat works much better than domesticated. Much leaner, so better final product by far.

looks like OP just needs to get with the times.. our freeze dryer paid for itself in its first season between all the meals, veggies from our gardens and morels I did. When you pay 15$ a pop for garbage mountain house it adds up real quick.

Blueback2014
05-13-2023, 12:08 PM
Bison jerky last you forever, light and easy to pack. Also Pemmican . Both these have been time tested for centuries.

Bustercluck
05-13-2023, 12:34 PM
Funny enough I found game meat works much better than domesticated. Much leaner, so better final product by far.

looks like OP just needs to get with the times.. our freeze dryer paid for itself in its first season between all the meals, veggies from our gardens and morels I did. When you pay 15$ a pop for garbage mountain house it adds up real quick.
I haven’t had mountain house since the last time i shit my pants in about 2014 or 15….

RyoTHC
05-13-2023, 12:46 PM
I haven’t had mountain house since the last time i shit my pants in about 2014 or 15….

thanks for the chuckle.. fair enough though.. so many people eating mountain house now I see the pouches being eaten beside fires at car accessible camp sites lol.

I will say though nothing quite boosts the morale like an ice cream sandwich or some cookie dough chunks after a long slog hauling an animal out of the bush on a remote hunt.

high horse Hal
05-13-2023, 02:03 PM
Just save all the blue smarties for that tough day

Bustercluck
05-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Just save all the blue smarties for that tough day
I thought we were supposed to eat the red ones last

Bustercluck
05-13-2023, 02:12 PM
I don’t know about you guys, but the first thing I get in the nearest town after a ten day backpack hunt is a double patty cheeseburger with bacon and mushrooms and a side of poutine with a bunch of fresh greens. That’s the only time I actually enjoy plain broccoli and greens with nothing on them.

It’s a weird mix. Buns and greasy burger with plain greens. My body is pretty depleted after givin er like that.

Bustercluck
05-13-2023, 02:14 PM
I’ll dehydrate some sausages and report back. I’m guessing I’ll have to cook them to get some of the fat out before dehydrating.

walks with deer
05-13-2023, 02:22 PM

Hahahah yup freeze drier baby!mine will be running daily now..

high horse Hal
05-13-2023, 06:02 PM
I thought we were supposed to eat the red ones lastna, leave them in the bag, staring back in torment, and then when its time , get rid of the blues baby!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-14-2023, 05:27 AM
Nothing better than sheep ribs to boost morale :)

SSS

Islandeer
05-14-2023, 07:26 AM
Slight derail- what dehydrates are guys running?
Had a big Cabelkas one few years back, Crapo Ed out and they didn’t honour the warranty.
Im ready to get into it again.
I used it for jerky and finishing off smoked fish.

RyoTHC
05-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Slight derail- what dehydrates are guys running?
Had a big Cabelkas one few years back, Crapo Ed out and they didn’t honour the warranty.
Im ready to get into it again.
I used it for jerky and finishing off smoked fish.

I use the London Sunshine largest model off of Amazon, for an amazon special it works quite well and compliments the freeze dryer very well, regularity do jerky and dehydrated mushrooms(morels and all the good foraged ones)

AllDay
05-14-2023, 09:16 AM
If you are running out of time and need a few store bough meals, peak refuel makes most other dehydrated meals taste like trash.

they are really good.

snowhater
05-14-2023, 11:09 AM
Nothing better than sheep ribs to boost morale

If that is the case 95% of sheep hunters will be eating Kraft Dinner for morale:lol: