PDA

View Full Version : Need help in tagging my friest Black bear

biaggi3
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum...so HELLO.
I have a question to any "seasoned" Black Bear hunters out there, OR anyone. Ive been hunting (Deer & Bear) for approx 8+ years...sad to say, Ive NEVER fired a shot! Not even close to it.
I hunt on my own as my wife, family and friends do not hunt, so I try to go as much as possible but by the results Ive gotten....In in some need of Serious help!
Ive watched dvd's, seen it on TV, been scouting, (seen the odd sign here and there), travelled logging roads,(for hrs / days) found great "looking" areas, but will sit watch for hrs, and still see nothing! Getting frustrated with it as I know Im doing something / everything wrong as I dont really see anything! (again sad I know)
I live in the Tri-cities, so would love to hear some tips from "real" hunters. My wife laughs at me as I get excited by seeing your guys sucessful hunting pics on here.
Thanks to everyone,for any info you may be able to shed.
Im glad Im part of site.

mark
12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Jees dude, deer and black bear are about the easiest things there is to hunt! Have you had yer eyes checked lately??? Both can be found quite easily just by roadhunting!

biaggi3
12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah I know I suck, like I say, Ive seen them running across the roads, half way up a mountain, by the time I get up to within shooting range, CYA nowhere to be seen, and im a quiet as possible..thats why Im asking for help..and yes I know im in for some harsh comments....Im ready bring em on, I deserve them.

rishu_pepper
12-05-2007, 10:57 PM
The best way to learn, IMO, is to go hunting with a seasoned veteran. You learn so much by the advice they give and the actions they take in the field. Ask around, I'm sure someone on HBC will be happy to take you along for a day trip or something. It's how I learned, and I'm in my first year, and the results have been encouraging.

dana
12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Could be just your timing on bears. April traditionally is 2 early. The first couple weeks of May traditionally are damn good. Sometime during the 3rd week of May through the 4th week they hit the timber and start hunting fawns as the does seem to drop then and you'll have a tough time finding a bear. June they are back out, but they don't need to chase the green grass anymore. The boars will be prowling looking for sows as the rut is in full swing. Best chance to kill a monster but not nessarily the best time to just kill 'any' bear. Fall hunts are just too hit and miss. Good berries and they won't be anywhere near the roads. Bad berries and they can be more motivated to travel the roads. The first couple weeks of May by far is your best bet.

MIL720
12-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Why ya gotta ba so harsh Mark? Be patient man, your luck has to change sometime.....

puppychow
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Ihave been hunting bears in the last few years and have had great success. Go with someone that has hunted bears and deer before. Bears are plentiful on Vancouver island. End of May and the first 2 weeks of June seem to be a good time. Look for lush greenery and berries. Look for black stumps that appear to move. Keep the wind in you face. Be patient. Good luck next season.

3kills
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
somethin that i have noticed by myself or some people i know is when ur still dont have any kills under ur belt u tend to have a harder time spottin the game...before i shot my first couple deer i couldnt see a deer unless it was standin right out in the open sayin boo and some times that didnt even help LOL...even with bears i never seen bears till after i shot my bear and now i see them all the time now its just a hard time seein one that i want..

6 K
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
First let me say you seem to have determination, good. :-? My next thought toward you unsucessfullness is location. Are other hunters bagging game in the places you are frequenting? If not try asking local sporting good stores for some spots. If others are taking game,then your timeing is off. Either time of day or time of year. Personaly I find evenings in May best for b-bear.
Although I have taken them at any time of day, for deer I like to be where I want to hunt before it gets light. Typicly near or at the end of a deactivated logging road then climb to the tree line. Slowly spot and stalk. Do lots of glassing.
I am not sure where Tri-Cities is but I'd have to guess deer season is closeing real soon if it is'nt already.
Keep at it. It will happen.:-D

cpg224
12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Don't really know what to say other than for some it takes time. If you were out in my area we would get you out with some hunters who pass up bears every year. I don't hunt them myself but I do deer hunt and would take you out no problem. I have hunted a number of years by myself and I don't find it as enjoyable anymore.
It'll come.

biaggi3
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info eveyone, Ive been through Elaho Valley, Upper Squamish area, Hope, Chilliwack areas, Ive had them run across the road but I get out and they are gone! Ill keep trying, But thanks for the info and support...To be honest I thought there would be more abuse! hahahahaha thanks for not being too rough on me.

pmj
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
It is tough to learn on your own. The odds seem to increase exponentially when you are with another hunter. If you hang around the forum some of the folks will get familiar with you. You may get an invite to join them on a hunting trip or when you ask for huntng partners some will step up. It has happend here many times8).

115 or bust
12-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I agree with most of the tips these guys are giving you. You want to take a bear find anywhere with green grass in the spring. Then find all the high points with good vantage spots and spend a couple hours in one spot on your butt dissecting the hill with a good pair of bino's 10 + or preferably a spotting scope. Focus first on old roads and grassy areas then once all those are covered check the rest of the area. The best way to hunt bears is with your eyes not your boots. Remember to be patient most guys without hunting experience move too much too fast and too often and miss a lot of stuff right before their eyes. I've been hunting my whole life and it still takes me a few days each year to get my eyes dialed into what I'm looking for.

115 or bust
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh and when you do get that bear lined up remember to squeeze the trigger I've taken a few friends out for their first bear and more often than not there are more rocks killed than bears not because they are bad shots but they let the excitement get the better of them. Very tough to shake the fever though so talk yourself through the shot step by step, makes a huge difference. Good luck

biaggi3
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Thankyou for those tips, and the tips on the "relax and talk myself through the shot", Id imagine after this time of shooting nothing, Id be like the highschool girl on prom night! Good things to take with me in the spring of 08'.

Elkhound
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
start here.... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10788

And welcome to HBC

Plincker
12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Hey man,

I have seen a few beers up the Squamish main around mile 45, nice Cinnamon cub too. Back in the summer there where tons of beers, Grizz too up the Elaho side. We counted 23 beers shitz in a 3 mile stretch on the logging road. Head out to Grizzly Grove and you'll see em. I only shoot em with my camera though. Like the other guys have said May is the time to see em.
I have seen deer out around 45 mile on the squamish, and quite a few grouse too. You gotta get well past where all the yahoos party to start to see the wild life!!

Good luck too yeah!

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Elkhound stole my Golden Post.... :frown:

Stick w/ biaggi3. May IS the time to be out there. Hope you enjoy that other thread - It holds a wealth of collective info.

BCbillies
12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Typically new hunters need to walk more, stop more, shoot more (at the range), get a better/more solid position with the rifle before the lead flies, and make the most of opportunities by being alert, focussed and ready to go within seconds. A good hunting partner and less talking goes a long way in achieving success. I still screw up opportunities by loosing focus and then the talk starts and then you guessed it.... I'm looking at the rear end of a nice animal - gone. :cry: You're still better off by yourself than with the wrong partner!

Freshtracks
12-06-2007, 12:48 AM
biaggi3 ... pm sent. We'll get your mug on here in '08 :wink:

Steeleco
12-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the info eveyone, Ive been through Elaho Valley, Upper Squamish area, Hope, Chilliwack areas, Ive had them run across the road but I get out and they are gone! Ill keep trying, But thanks for the info and support...To be honest I thought there would be more abuse! hahahahaha thanks for not being too rough on me.

Well first off near all of those areas you list can be very hard to hunt. Thick bush and sometimes 45% hills. I hunted for 5 or 6 years till I bagged my first. Each year gets better. Try, if you have the time a little further up the Coq. The country is easier and the game more apparent.

If you get an offer from one of the gang to go on a trip TAKE IT. It's one thing to see animals it's quite another to bag on.

Once the trigger is squeezed the work begins. Having someone to show you the ropes on your first animal makes things SO much easier.

Good luck, and as Freshtracks said, we'll see you smiling mug on here soon!!

Thunderstix
12-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Jees dude, deer and black bear are about the easiest things there is to hunt! Have you had yer eyes checked lately??? Both can be found quite easily just by roadhunting!

Oh my goodness Mark! Be compassionate man!:lol:

sealevel
12-06-2007, 07:08 AM
In the off season practice seeing not just looking . Just go out in the bush sit down and look . At first all you will see is forest but then you will start to see things like a broken branch a bird nest . you have to start looking into the forest. The best hunters on this site are good at spotting animals.

TIKA 300
12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
In the off season practice seeing not just looking . Just go out in the bush sit down and look . At first all you will see is forest but then you will start to see things like a broken branch a bird nest . you have to start looking into the forest. The best hunters on this site are good at spotting animals.

Why is it most of us guys can spot a beatiful WOMAN at 1000 paces,but cant spot a deer at 100 yards ??????????? LOL TK

It will come to you in time(Fraser Valley hunting SUCKS)

Big7
12-06-2007, 08:39 AM

I've shot many bears from the road in the spring...you know what works well, if you see them on the side of the road and they run off into the bush, drive right past them a couple hundred yards, pull your truck off the road, walk over to the tree line and wait. On logging roads up here in the interior, 9 times out of 10 they will come back out to feed on the green grass after a few minutes and bang, you've got your spring bear!

If you can get access to private land there are usually lots of b-bears out in the fields eating green grass in the spring.

As for timing, I agree with most people's advice - I don't really even bother going out before the middle of May (in the interior) because nothing is really green. Once they start feeding on the sides of roads you can see quite a few in an evening hunt after work!

srupp
12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
I will make you an open offer to come up here to Williams Lake this coming May...and I will take you out for 4 days with me and we will get you a black bear.. I have a portable camp..= 30 foot travel trailer and I have had my successess with blacks and grizzlies..and have in the past guided for both professionally and have 30 years hunting here in the Cariboo..

All you need to do is get up here...

I agree hearing and listening to experienced hunters is a great help but SEEING first hand and experiencing is the best method..

If your interested please send me a E-MAIL....Im sure if you checked around I have a good rep for bears..now STONE SHEEP is another matter :tongue:

Steven

bigwhiteys
12-06-2007, 09:12 AM
The best way to hunt bears is with your eyes not your boots.

Amen to that!!! And make sure you only see the ones that are uphill and within 100 yards of the road.

Carl

Elkhound
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Elkhound stole my Golden Post.... :frown:

:tongue:My Golden post now:tongue:

Wild one
12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
It is tough to learn how to hunt on your own I would take any chance you get to hunt with some body with a few years under there belt.My biggest tip for new hunters is to slow down and look for a leg an ear anything not just the whole animal.As for deer reg 2 is a little harder to hunt try reg 8 you should see more deer,and put in for doe draws.What the hell try me in may I live in Abby and I will be hunting bear around hope this spring ,but you will have to put up with me using a bow.

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I have probably spotted as many 3 inch black strips, sticking up over the edge of a road (Bear feeding in ditch) as I have seen whole animals.

Use your bino's, don't just rely on your eyes.

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
OH.......... If you have a wife, take her!

Mine can pick them out faster that I can.

Ciskman
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Biaggi3, I can totaly sympathize with you! This sounds like my exact story even with the wife laughing at me! haha. I started off bow hunting 6 years ago and have been addicted ever since. Ive got a small buck and a doe over the years and then...nothing! I had to year take a year off for work reasons, went on a group LEH elk hunt in sask the next...(my buddy tagged that one when I was still laid out in my sleeping bag with a self induced headache!) and now im on the island trying to figure out these damn Blacktail deer! Stick with it dude. Try and get off the main roads and go walking. Ive seen many a deer, just way out of bow range. As for bear, I saw tonnes this year! if your out on the island drop me a line and we'll go get a bear. Good luck!

ryanb
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
If it's a bear you're after... Get out on some forestry roads, away from Vancouver will be more productive, around the 2-3rd week of may. Road hunt, spot bear, shoot bear. It helps if you have someone who knows what they're doing the first time you gut out an animal...reading about is one thing, doing it is another.

I would definately take up SRUPP on his offer.

Elkhound
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I have probably spotted as many 3 inch black strips, sticking up over the edge of a road (Bear feeding in ditch) as I have seen whole animals.

Use your bino's, don't just rely on your eyes.

Well actually it was your wife that spotted that 3 inch black strip. Nice try Dean. Some of us know the real story. LMAO

and remember....bears always look bigger in the binos:sad:

meat keeper
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
keep getting out there .sooner or later you will get lucky.Boston bar area is a good place. watch the blueberrys end of may

ASPEN
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
biaggi3,p.m. sent

KevinB
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
The best hunters on this site are good at spotting animals.

Couldn't have seen it beter myself. But perserverence also pays off big time. Don't get discouraged. And yes definitely start putting in for muley and whitetail doe draws - if you can get away for a few days. Otherwise if you can only do day trips from Coquitlam then don't bother as you'll not have enough time to get out. Also if you're finding it tough in Region 2 then maybe try Reg. 8 or 3 for a few overnighters - you can get into some good areas within ~3 hours of where you are. i.e. Lawless/Tulameen area, or up towards Merritt. I have had luck in the old Lawless Creek burn, which is fairly close for you, but you'll have to get out and walk a lot as it is crawling with road hunters during the any-buck season. And buy one of the Backroad Mapbooks for the area you are going to - they are invaluable if you don't know the area very well.

And take Srupp up on his offer! Every new hunter that goes out with him seems to come home successful.

good luck and keep at it.

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
...As for bear, I saw tonnes this year! if your out on the island drop me a line and we'll go get a bear. Good luck!

I'd STRONGLY advise taking this guy up on the offer. Not because I know him but because of where he lives.

He could be a serial killer for all I know... :shock:
Just let him be the one walking out front. :wink:

... It helps if you have someone who knows what they're doing the first time you gut out an animal...reading about is one thing, doing it is another.

Learn how to quarter and debone the beast where it lay's. Bears are a BUGGAR to drag - They got nothin to hold on to.

Well actually it was your wife that spotted that 3 inch black strip. Nice try Dean. Some of us know the real story. LMAO

and remember....bears always look bigger in the binos:sad:

She's GOOD!

Point being that the black strips are hard to spot. I'm certain that many get passed over and un-noticed.

Spotting scopes are handy....

12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Come to the West Kootenays in the middle of May. Drive just about any logging road and you WILL get a bear. I have seen over 12 in one day. I can't imagine having a difficult time getting a black bear in BC....the province is polluted with them.

biaggi3
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey everyone, WOW thanks for the encouragement and support...that is what I needed, also the tips and offers of help come May 08. again WOW! I have a good feeling on this and will of course be as proud as hell to post ALL pics of me with my FIRST ever filler tag! (8yrs+ in the making) I cannot wait, frustration now turning to anticipation....thanks to everyone again for their help and support.

Barracuda
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
contact me in the spring time I might be able to help you out locally(bears are the big black fuzzy things right???). I am in maple ridge so i am not to far from you.

Wild one
12-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Well Biaggi3 you sould get a bear this spring if you take some one up on there offer.All I say is if you don't go with me you better post pics because there is nothing better than seeing the Sh@# eating grin on a new hunters face when he gets his first big game.Good luck

Ciskman
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
contact me in the spring time I might be able to help you out locally(bears are the big black fuzzy things right???). I am in maple ridge so i am not to far from you.

Yup thats them, black and fuzzy, and you attract bigger ones by picking up the small ones and tickling them:-P

Will
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I cannot wait, frustration now turning to anticipation.
You and me both ! I live for Spring Bear season :biggrin:

If you're ever near the Loops for Spring Bear...give me a shout.
Could probably enjoy a Bear Hunt or two:wink:

(and before BHF gets any ideas I said BEAR hunt not BARE hunt:roll:)

If not best of Luck !!! :cool:

bsa30-06
12-06-2007, 08:18 PM
start here.... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10788

And welcome to HBC

Hey Dave for some reason this guys story sounds very familiar.:-D

bsa30-06
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
biaggi3, if/when there is a lower mainland get together (see lower mainland meet thread) try to make it out to it, lots of good people at these get togethers, and its nice to put names with faces.I have met some good people thru these get togethers, that after getting to know in person i would hunt with anytime.

lapadat
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM

biaggi

If you're hunting the valley then you are hunting a very sneaky deer species. I doubt that killing a monster muley is an easy task, however, I haven't seen mark with any blacktail bucks yet. :)

PM me and I would be happy to take you up the Chilliwack valley for a "damn-near" guaranteed spring bear hunt in 08.

kishman
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
This spring will be my first Bear hunt, I'm always looking for someone to go out scouting with. PM me if this sounds good, good luck.

BiG Boar
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
well, I am in the same boat. I have no bears on the ground, though I had one in the crosshairs once. It was too small. I had a tag and everything. I have decided that black bear might be a once in a lifetime kill for me, so I am going to make it a big one before I pull the trigger. Seems like most of these guys know what theyre talking about though. Now will it be as easy as the video game, I sure hope so, cuz I have been playing my thumbs off! I would go with you, but it seems you are bad luck....just kidding, if you are heading out, gimme a shout, I am in surrey and am off at 1pm everyday, might be able to do a few after work squamish hunts or hope or something.

EvanG
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Shit 23 beers in a 3 mile stretch sounds like my trips up the elaho Plincker.

Frango
04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I would suggest you join your local fish and game club.Meet and greet and maybe if your lucky will get invited on a hunt with someone with some experience.Hunting by yourself with no prior experience is a tough go. Your not from the island .Which is to bad ,as you just need to drive a logging road and you will find a bear.

5 spike
04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
hang in there man, your time will come. stay in the same areas your seeing animals. watch there patterns,feeding areas, bedding . get on top of that mountain work your way down slowly first light, cant wait to see your pics.

Dad and son
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi If you have not found a hunting partner yet I would also consider taking you out or anyone else out there who wants to get their first bear. I live in Burnaby

wetcoaster
04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Lots of generous offers here take them up on them!

The areas you are hunting you should be seeing more black bear provided you get the timing down that has been covered. Make sure you are glassing patiently.

Deer hunting in the areas you have mentioned is a little more challenging. When first hunting it always helps to get into areas with higher densities so you can start to learn how to read sign, understand tendencies of your quarry and get a feel for what is succesfull when stalk hunting deer.

Do some research here, in backcountry mapbooks and in the regs..... ask lots of questions and then take a drive up country next fall (try regions where you see a ton of muley or whitetail doe draws in the leh regs in comparison to others eg. various sub regions in 5 and outside Kelowna). Use your binoculars and boots..... cover some ground and find the sign. You will soon learn the ins and outs of stalking when you here the familiar thump thump thump of stotting mule deer away from you before you ever see them. Try putting in for an antlerless LEH draws in the area you choose to increase your odds of going home with some meat. I believe I saw an offer from someone in williams lake. Some very high densities of mule deer outside williams lake take them up on the offer and get to know a few areas.

Learning how to hunt deer (locate them, stalk them and get a shot) in the Fraser Valley and Sqaumish area without being led by experienced mentors is a bit like trying to learn how to swim in a puddle.:-P It can be frustrating for seasoned hunters many of which go through years of frusturation to pull a grey ghost buck (blacktail) out of the coastal rainforest. Mind you if this is the time you can afford for day hunts keep at it! Look for crossing areas and sign in slashes.

hunter1947
04-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum...so HELLO.
I have a question to any "seasoned" Black Bear hunters out there, OR anyone. Ive been hunting (Deer & Bear) for approx 8+ years...sad to say, Ive NEVER fired a shot! Not even close to it.
I hunt on my own as my wife, family and friends do not hunt, so I try to go as much as possible but by the results Ive gotten....In in some need of Serious help!
Ive watched dvd's, seen it on TV, been scouting, (seen the odd sign here and there), travelled logging roads,(for hrs / days) found great "looking" areas, but will sit watch for hrs, and still see nothing! Getting frustrated with it as I know Im doing something / everything wrong as I dont really see anything! (again sad I know)
I live in the Tri-cities, so would love to hear some tips from "real" hunters. My wife laughs at me as I get excited by seeing your guys sucessful hunting pics on here.
Thanks to everyone,for any info you may be able to shed.
Im glad Im part of site.
Just hung in there ,you will get a bear sooner or latter. Every time you go out it is a learning experience ,you learn from your mistakes and will Lean what not to do or what you will do to get a bear. It will all come together one day ,may not be this week but it might be next week or the one after it. Just keep pounding you will get your bear.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

browningboy
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
If you want to see alot of blackies, go up the Nahatlatch past the old logging camp at 56km mark (May have to walk, depends) and walk the main road, bike whatever, I could almost guarantee a blacky, the logged slopes will be full of fresh stuff they graze on in the spring and summer. We used to see so many we called them "bushrats!", and I'm not leading you on, last time I took my wife on a quad ride and from km 52 to 60 and back we seen 16!
Anyhow, just require some patience, eventually you see lots and have a few in the freezer!
Good luck.

srupp
04-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I have phoned and left messages at this guys residence for over one month with no reply..:confused:..

Anyone know him????Its getting close...

Steven :tongue:

chilcotin hillbilly
04-19-2008, 07:15 AM
NOthing worse then your wife having a laugh at your expense. If you feel like driving up to Tatlayoko Lake on the second weekend of May I could find time to take you out for a look around.

BigBanger
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Im heading out to Nahatlatch this weekend again.cant wait.With all the helpfull tips i have got from this site i cant wait to put them to use.Anyone elts heading up there this weekend?

Barracuda
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Very likley be heading in there this weekend with the hounds but i have to be back for Mothers day dinner

BigBanger
05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Sunday is important one for those people that have mums thats for sure.My mum will be looking over my sholder while im looking for bears.

srupp
05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Well after much looking around etc and considering my schedule I will be heading out for Black bear May 18-19-20-21...one of a couple places..verdicts STILL out on exactly which one..still time for some melting and green up..left messages on line with Biaggi..may end up taking some one else??Just got to try that new .338 on some poor unsuspecting bear..:D....

Steven

tomgo
03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Hey everyone,
I am fairly new to hunting. I hunted my first season last year, bow only in the Okanagan. I moved to Vancouver just a few weeks ago, and I am desperately looking for some hunting buddies who are willing to take me out in spring. I just want to be outdoors, maybe tag my first black bear...
Anywhere close to Vancouver would work best.
Thank ou guys.
Thomas

avadad
03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone,
I am fairly new to hunting. I hunted my first season last year, bow only in the Okanagan. I moved to Vancouver just a few weeks ago, and I am desperately looking for some hunting buddies who are willing to take me out in spring. I just want to be outdoors, maybe tag my first black bear...
Anywhere close to Vancouver would work best.
Thank ou guys.
Thomas

Best spot to look for hunting buddies will be on this thread. Good luck.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?84152-Hunting-buddies-classifieds&highlight=buddies

BearSupreme
03-27-2014, 11:46 AM
I hope Biaggi got an animal or else it would be 13 years of tag soup by now lol