PDA

View Full Version : Generators??

moosinaround
04-21-2023, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new generator to run with my new to me travel trailer. I'd like something quiet, and able to run my AC on the really hot days camping and fishing. I'd like to be able to load it by myself, so 60ish pounds. What do you guys suggest, give me some real world advice!

Thanks, Moosinaround

Bullreaper
04-21-2023, 03:52 PM
I got one of those Cummins Onan p4500i portable generators for my toy hauler. Remote start. I’m not sure the weight, but it has wheels and an extendable handle. Easy to move around. It will run the microwave, coffee pot and 1 AC at the same time no problem. But it will not run 2 AC’s. I think they are regular $1400. I got mine on sale for $1000, 2 years ago. You’re probably looking more at the 2000w Honda or Yamaha inverter generators though eh? Be the only ones around 60lbs I think.

thompie505
04-21-2023, 04:30 PM
I know most people will say Honda, which are great units. About $1500 for a 2200w unit that will do 18-1900w continuous. Not sure if that’s enough to power your AC. I’ve got a Briggs and Stratton p2200 that runs great. Starts 2nd pull every time. Both are around 50lbs. You might not get the wattage you need out of a 60lb unit. You can run the B&S in series so two 2200w units, but now you’re spending lots of cash. The. P2400 B&S is $1100.

Blockcaver
04-21-2023, 05:06 PM
Most AC units need a 3000 watt unit.

Honda EU1000i for a my truck camper but won't run the microwave. Does run either the 5 cf or 12 cf chest freezer though. Also have a Honda EU2000i and it will run the microwave but is too small for AC units. Both of my Honda generators are 20 yrs old and bought used (had the bigger one 14 years and the little one 2 years). No problems with either outside of cleaning gunk out of the carburetors.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
04-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Check Costco. A friend just bought a unit from there $800 3500w inverter nice and quiet has wheels and an extendable handle runs on gasoline or propane I can easily pick it up.

ian745
04-21-2023, 07:28 PM
i got a firman 3300 watt from costco for 650, you need over 3000 watts to run a standard AC and you`ll need to surge to be higher as it draws more then that to start, mines 3300 peak, and 3000 continuos runs it jsut fine and dandy, 3000watt honda will run it just find, honda an yamaha are spendy units, usually about $1 a watt or so, but quiet and usually have bigger tanks so can run all night if needed, my firman is good for 8 hours or so on one tank but its a small tank, and units about 90 ish pounds

jac
04-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Ya it’s the staring of the ac is the problem, once running demand is low but staring requires close to 3k I think. I have a honda is good. We have a few others that are noisy but much cheaper to buy and do the job

Downwindtracker2
04-21-2023, 08:10 PM
To start the AC you need a honest 2600 watts . So consider 3000 watts gennies as a minimum . Yami has a 2600 watt genny that works, we have one, just don't run anything else during start up. Another answer is a tandem of Honda 2000s . Any a$$hole that uses an open frame contractor genny in a camp ground deserves to have it shot. Good gennies are either red or blue.

TeeVee
04-21-2023, 08:22 PM
Good god, since when do you need ac to go camping? It's always about heat at night. Anyways I have Honda, Makita (Honda again) and champion at my shack for when I have to charge batteries or run a pump. The Makita for some reason has outlasted everything else including the pull cord.

REMINGTON JIM
04-21-2023, 08:31 PM
Honda or Yamaha JMO RJ

BimmerBob
04-21-2023, 08:42 PM
I like Honda's but really for what you are wanting how much do you really think you will use it? You might want to (if you go to the US sometime) consider a Predator generator from Harbor Freight, they have some nice inverter units that should fit the bill for you (and the Firman units from Costco are getting good recommendations). One thing I would strongly advise is to try a generator out running your AC and other stuff prior to jumping to buying as a lot of folks end up have to get bigger than they initially thought.

Be well.../B

Patman7
04-21-2023, 09:16 PM
Actually moosin, Costco has one left sitting in the clearance section in Prince George for $849.00, only 70 lbs. propane or gas. If I didn’t have a 3000 Yamaha I’d have bought it

Johnny G1
04-21-2023, 09:47 PM
My 3000 invertor Honda runs air very easy but spendy, buck a watt today but fuel tank not big enough to run all night, Just a thought.

moosinaround
04-21-2023, 11:29 PM
Good god, since when do you need ac to go camping? It's always about heat at night. Anyways I have Honda, Makita (Honda again) and champion at my shack for when I have to charge batteries or run a pump. The Makita for some reason has outlasted everything else including the pull cord.
I just bought an RV, a fancy one so mama will come with me! She doesn’t do tents, and likes to have a nice clean potty to do business! I have 2 wall tents, cots propane and wood stoves, but mama stays home if those come along!! My 2000 Honda doesn’t do the AC so I have to upgrade my power source for the rustic campsites!!
I’m interested in the Onans but might be too loud?! The red and blues are expensive. That Costco one loud? I hate being that guy out there, I’m loud enough with my powerstroke diesel!! Moosin

srthomas75
04-22-2023, 07:31 AM
Has anyone got any experience with the Champion units? I've seen an inverter one at Costco but have never seen one in use so am a bit curious. I have a 2000w honda that has been great for 15? years.

tuner
04-22-2023, 07:40 AM
When it comes to suitcase generators there are really only two choices.
Honda or Yamaha. You pay a premium but it comes with great deal of peace of mind.

ian745
04-22-2023, 07:48 AM
Has anyone got any experience with the Champion units? I've seen an inverter one at Costco but have never seen one in use so am a bit curious. I have a 2000w honda that has been great for 15? years.

they are good for what you pay for, fairly quiet,my friend has two, an open frame invertor, which ive never seen in store, its on par with the hondas almost, its 4500 watts, and massive fuel tank, will go 12 hours at full draw and you can barely hear it from inside the true invertor type is as good as any other 3000-3300 watt invertor, not quite as quiet as the red and blue, but pretty good, plus side with champion is they are generally available everywhere so parts are easy to come by

Edzzed
04-22-2023, 10:47 AM
Doubt you'd find a generator under 60 pounds that will run AC. You need something big to kick start an AC as in the initial jolt might need a 5000 watt bump start and 3000 will keep it running. My little Honda (650 watts) is heavy and it'll charge a battery or run a 2 slice toaster. will not do 4 slices. In a pinch, You could use it to run a fan and get a spray bottle of water and you'll have a swamp AC unit. lol

Maximizetime2hunt
04-22-2023, 12:57 PM
I run an off grid 30' trailer set up on the Costco Champion 4500w Inverter no problem.The negative for you is that it weighs 100lbs, but it is on wheels and has a good handle. I can run AC or the microwave no problem. I think I even have had them running at the same time without depleting my battery bank. I bought it on sale at Costco maybe 1.5 years ago for under $700. I believe they still sell it. I also have a 3+ year old Champion 2000w Inverter(great portability) and 5-6 yr old Champion 7500w generator, both bought on sale at Canadian Tire. All 3 start up No problem after a few pulls. The 4500w is really quiet, almost as quiet as the 2000w. You can run both beside the trailer at night and still sleep with no worry about bothering a neighbour. The 4500w will run all night without running out of fuel.The 2000w will not quite make it until the morning.The 7500 has been left out under a piece of poly and neglected it's whole life. Starts up after 3-6 pulls after sitting for 6 months and runs chops saws air compressors etc all at once no problem except that it is very loud!.I am very satisfied with all 3. I bought a firman 3500w inverter and had nothing but problems with it so returned it.We use Honda's at work and I agree that they are top of the line with Yamaha running a close 2nd. But for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price the Champions have been great for me so far and I really do put them to the test.

Downwindtracker2
04-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Get a second Honda 2000, there is a Honda coupling kit . A couple of 2000s are much easier to move around than a 3000. A 2000 is fine for charging house batteries , two does AC.

IslandWanderer
04-22-2023, 06:46 PM
I bought a used, but new in the box, Champion for cheap. That way I won't mind so much when it gets stolen out of our campsite.

Bullreaper
04-22-2023, 06:47 PM
I just bought an RV, a fancy one so mama will come with me! She doesn’t do tents, and likes to have a nice clean potty to do business! I have 2 wall tents, cots propane and wood stoves, but mama stays home if those come along!! My 2000 Honda doesn’t do the AC so I have to upgrade my power source for the rustic campsites!!
I’m interested in the Onans but might be too loud?! The red and blues are expensive. That Costco one loud? I hate being that guy out there, I’m loud enough with my powerstroke diesel!! Moosin

My Onan is not loud at all. Any inverter generator is usually pretty good as far as being quiet. Really good on fuel. I highly recommend remote start. I do not miss the days of a battery dying at 3-4 am and having to run outside, balls hanging, in the rain, 150 feet thru the brush and trying to pull start the old external frame champion. Push of a button is a wonderful thing.

Sitkaspruce
04-22-2023, 07:37 PM
I have the Firman 3000/3300 for the last 5 years.

Use it for the TT and the AC during the summer and zero issues.

The big test has been running it for our ice shack in the winter powering the shack and all its associated electrical draws. I have run it in all day and night in -30 and other than it gets tough to start at that temp unless I bring it in and warm it up, I have had no issues.

I also like the low draw switch which allows you to save fuel when you don't need the 3000.

We also run a Champion and a Yamaha for the shack and they both work.

Cheers

SS

thompie505
04-22-2023, 10:37 PM
If you already have a 2000, I’d just buy another 2000 and connect them. That way if you want to run AC you have the power, but if camping in spring and fall you can just pack 1. Typically only need 2000 for hunting camp etc. keeps the lifting weight down too.

kevingm1987
04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Moosin, how’s many BTUs is your AC unit? Is there only one?

moosinaround
04-23-2023, 08:04 PM
Moosin, how’s many BTUs is your AC unit? Is there only one?
13000? only 1 yup!

kevingm1987
04-23-2023, 08:15 PM
13000? only 1 yup!

RV Softstart is the way to go! It will allow you to run it with your Honda 2000, no issues. It’s just the start up that’s hard on the smaller generators, once started it runs at 10 amps or so! Just confirm your unit is compatible. The current amazon price is a good deal as well. When I bought one it was $500 out the door.

SoftStartRV SSRV3T by NetworkRV Enables An RV Air Conditioner To Start And Run On A Small Generator, Or Limited Power, When It Would Otherwise Not Have Started + Bonus Gift https://a.co/d/hgPXCUs

one-shot-wonder
04-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Agreed, softstart units are the way to go. Unless of course your 2000EUI runs your trailers AC without one, like mine does... :oops:

shortrange
04-29-2023, 12:21 AM
I had a Wen 2000 watt generator I got for my truck camper. Weighed 60 pounds wet, and looked and handled like a big suitcase. It wouldn't run the A/C. So I got a Wen 3800. It weighs 100 pounds, but has wheels, electric start, folding handle, and its an inverter. Both generators are super-quiet compared to some of the other ones out there. The Wen 3800 sells for about $625USD on Amazon.com. I got free shipping to Blaine, WA, too. I declared my purchase and had to pay GST or something, so total cost was still under $1k CDN. I chain it to my truck or a tree when I'm using it and it lives inside the camper when I'm driving. So far it hasn't been stolen. It isn't a lightweight, but it's easy to handle and I have power to spare. Doesnt stink like gasoline at all. Wen has been selling power equipment in the USA since the 50's, and they have parts availability and a decent warranty. It's probably made in China though.

If you're camping, you only have to huck it out of the truck when you set up camp, and once back into the truck when you go home. Unless you forget to chain it up. Then you don't have to worry about putting it back in the truck :)

moosinaround
05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Well bought a Benchmark generator from Home Hardware. Its a 4400w inverter generator, remote start blah blah type stuff. I'll relay how it performs, its not light, but reviews were fairly good, its USA made. $1200 out the door, so definitely less than half what one of the red or blues woulda cost! Thanks for the info guys! Moosin

REMINGTON JIM
05-17-2023, 10:11 PM
https://www.softstartrv.com/

i need one I only have the RED 2000i RJ

J_T
05-18-2023, 07:31 AM
I upgraded last year. I was looking at the Honda 2000. But I went for the smaller Honda 3000, on wheels, with a tow/pull handle. 75lbs. But don't have to lift it often.

Very happy. Runs forever on a tank of fuel and sits, right outside the trailer. Very quiet.

kevingm1987
05-18-2023, 08:39 AM
https://www.softstartrv.com/

i need one I only have the RED 2000i RJ

There pretty slick, the way to go for sure. I have one that I didn't end up using, sold the trailer it was required for and got a different one. If you're not in a rush, I can test the new AC without it this summer. If not required, I plan to sell.

REMINGTON JIM
05-18-2023, 08:52 AM
There pretty slick, the way to go for sure. I have one that I didn't end up using, sold the trailer it was required for and got a different one. If you're not in a rush, I can test the new AC without it this summer. If not required, I plan to sell.

PM sent Bud - Thanks RJ

browningboy
05-18-2023, 11:30 AM
Champion is the brand.... kidding go Honda

j270wsm
05-20-2023, 03:25 PM
Friend has this generator……WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator.

ratherbefishin
05-30-2023, 04:21 PM
Champions are Honda knockoffs..had one for years, work fine .mine was sitting for a year, old gas, two pulls and it was going

drum_boy101
05-30-2023, 04:27 PM
We have the Firman duel fuel from Costco (~$800 on sale), runs the AC in our trailer no issues. Figured I could replace this unit 3 times for the price of one Honda 3000...

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2023, 06:41 PM
We have the Firman duel fuel from Costco (~$800 on sale), runs the AC in our trailer no issues. Figured I could replace this unit 3 times for the price of one Honda 3000...

you will probably NEED too ! :razz: RJ

sparkes3
05-31-2023, 05:53 PM
Our champions worked well , but buy a heavy guage looooong cord
then I went with a Honda 2000, until went camping with my brother who had just bought a B E 3600 /4000
with electric start.
I liked it so much , quiet and a tank of gas lasts forever
sold the Honda and bought a BE as son as I got home and absolutely love it.

BlacktailStalker
06-16-2023, 10:37 PM
Just got a Honda 3200, new suitcase model. Seems slick.

shortrange
06-17-2023, 02:30 AM
I got a WEN Super Quiet 3800 genetator that runs my A/C, microwave and water heater. It costs less than 1k. It does weigh 100 pounds, but has wheels and a handle, so easy to move around. There is nothing that weighs 60 pounds that will do what you want.

blackford
09-15-2023, 03:58 PM
wondering if anyone has any experience with this

https://www.costco.ca/a-ipower-2000-w-ultra-quiet-gasoline-powered-inverter-portable-generator.product.100786803.html

looks liked and rumoured to be a Yamaha knock off...

REMINGTON JIM
09-15-2023, 06:39 PM
It’s Noisier at 65 Dbs than my Honda ( 52dbs) BUT a lot cheaper COST too ! I think it’s a Good Deal . JMO RJ

SSG-man
09-15-2023, 06:49 PM
Looks like a good little unit.
Good price for that power range.

I got a Powermate 1200 (GENERAC) for about $400
Its a quiet copy of the Honda 1000

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2023, 05:09 AM
A generator down here in Mexico is a definite must have. September is peak hurricane season and power outages aren’t that rare.
We have 12 solar panels on our new house which is great but we don’t have a battery system.

Would be smart to get a dual fuel generator as propane is a very common fuel source for cooking and hot water.

SSS

mike31154
09-16-2023, 11:12 AM
Seems to me I saw a dual fuel unit on sale at Costco earlier this year, perhaps a little larger than the one Blackford is wondering about.

blackford
09-16-2023, 06:37 PM
Seems to me I saw a dual fuel unit on sale at Costco earlier this year, perhaps a little larger than the one Blackford is wondering about.
this is correct. I am wondering though.. would you use the propane as much as a bunch of gas.... you use gas for the truck , the quad etc

mike31154
09-16-2023, 07:54 PM
this is correct. I am wondering though.. would you use the propane as much as a bunch of gas.... you use gas for the truck , the quad etc

It will depend on the situation. During a power outage at home the option of multiple fuels provides flexibility. Keep the fridge or freezer going. Can't recall if the dual fuel was propane or natural gas. If natural gas you can keep it going indefinitely.

blackford
09-16-2023, 08:28 PM
It’s propane. If it was natural gas…it would be amazing for home use

BimmerBob
09-17-2023, 06:07 AM
Not sure if this is fact or not but it would seem to me that a propane option would be good from the prospective of the fuel supply not going stale over time if the unit was only utilized infrequently.

The little gasoline generators are great and run well but if they are not utilized at least enough to keep the fuel fresh they do suffer from carburetor and fuel issues which I am thinking will be a huge benefit to going with a propane unit that can be switched to gasoline if you have a continuous use situation.

Just a thought for consideration.

Be well.../B

blackford
09-17-2023, 02:18 PM
never thought of that..great point

Radoman
09-17-2023, 04:30 PM
I personally have a Honda handi 3000i works the ac and anything else no problem

Radoman
09-17-2023, 04:32 PM
If your not using lots put a splash of sea foam in it

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2023, 03:24 AM

Costco in Cancun doesn’t sell dual or multi-fuel which surprised me. They do sell and install Generacs that automatically come in when the power goes down. They are common in hurricane country but come with a hefty price tag.

SSS

scoutlt1
09-19-2023, 07:31 PM
Just some thoughts...

I don't have access to natural gas at my place in the Cariboo, but I did pick up a Firman generator that is "tri-fuel" (gasoline, propane, and NG). Decent price on sale at Home Depot. As much as I'm a Honda fan, the price difference just didn't work for me. (Firman on sale for just over $1k, almost equivalent Honda was close to $6k....and the Honda was only gas).
What I like about the propane is that it can be stored for a long time. Definitely eats more fuel than gas or diesel (and less output), but it allows for long term fuel storage. This larger generator will be wired up to the house with a transfer panel for any outages that will be longer term.
I have a smaller "King" generator that I picked up on sale for just under $500. Around 4000 running/rated watts. I've had it for a couple of years and it's served me really well. Electric and remote start, works great and powers everything I need for an outage that lasts for 3 or 4 days (gas only). I have a "through wall kit" that allows me to plug in a 30A cord outside the house, and has 6 110V outlets inside. No need to run extension cords through a partially open door or window. It's a really good set up.
I have a small Firman (2000 watts) that I've had for years. Used it hunting and camping. Quite like it but seems a bit finicky unless the gas is very fresh.
A bit of rambling here, but I ordered a Bluetti "power station" (glorified battery) that I'm hoping will keep my internet and tv going for 24 hours or so (we'll see!). Plan is to run a generator for a few hours at a time, which ought to charge the "power station(s)", and keep the fridge and freezers cold. I like the idea of battery power so I can at least get online and check emails, post stupid sh*t on HBC, and irritate vegans on FB without a genny running while I'm having a few drinks......but I digress :-)

I like the idea of adding some storage into the system (batteries/power stations etc...) to power things that don't need much start up power, and don't consume much power. From I've been able to find (depending on your needs), communication things can run on battery power for quite a while, lighting is the same (led), and the time you need to run a genny to keep the freezers cold, is around the same as it takes to charge your batteries/storage. I've thought about some solar, but not sure if that will part of my set up.

Just to be clear, I'm one of the biggest fans of Honda, Yamaha etc...but the prices seem over the top these days!

Anyways, just a few pennies worth of thoughts.

M.

ps....always add fuel stabilizer, and run your genny every month or so (with a bit of load). Change the oil every year at least....