PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunt strategy ... target sows?

dapesche
04-20-2023, 07:55 PM
So we all know that boars will target cubs.

To control the bear population, should we not focus on sows without cubs vs targetting the big boars?

Ron.C
04-20-2023, 08:58 PM
I suppose but it's pretty hard to tell a lone sow from some young boars. And if I knew 100% it was a sow, I'd be so over cautious about it having a cub stashed I would be very reluctant to shoot. Those little yearling cubs can be real tough to see, especially in a cut that is several years old.

Not saying it can't be done and barring bigger boars, I don't know many that can guarantee the sex of the bear until the leg gets lifted.

SMH1990
04-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Theory makes sense to me. Take one of each sex even. Some of the leanest/cleanest bear I’ve eaten has been sows in spring/early summer eating off of grass. Take your time, take your glass, play the wind and wait for it to pee if you can get a good vantage . This tactic only really works when in the rut , as when 2 bears of similar size not fighting are observed , odds are it’s a boar trying to breed a sow. I find some people rush with bear more than any other species when opportunity presents itself . Road hunting is a necessity for some due to physical limitations but getting out on foot will get you a lot more opportunities to practice these skills of stalking and observation.
Even if you don’t harvest the animal , it can be a good opportunity to hone your stalking and glassing skills before fall season. Unlike a lot of other animals in BC you can learn a lot with even the most basic pair of binos due to a more frequent sub 200 yard interactions. You can trick a bear in a lot of ways, just never their nose. Play the wind right and you will be amazed at the opportunities these animals will present to you , especially when in a state of hyperphagia.

walks with deer
04-20-2023, 09:51 PM
So we all know that boars will target cubs.

To control the bear population, should we not focus on sows without cubs vs targetting the big boars?

Hmm interesting i shot a bear with a fawn in its mouth once... it was a sow..

HappyJack
04-21-2023, 07:01 AM
I just love it when people use words I have to google [hyperphagia]
^^that sounds like a good bear.

Besides having to make sure there are no cubs you must ensure they are at least 2 years old, apparently they have a big 2 painted on the hind quarter if they are too young for you fellows that don't know how to age a bear.

Walking Buffalo
04-21-2023, 10:03 AM
Of course. If hunters desire to reduce bear populations, target legal sows.
In addition to the removal of a breeding female, an increased male component of the population may increase cub predation.

adriaticum
04-21-2023, 10:18 AM
A sow may not have cubs this year, but she may have cubs next year.
Maybe her cubs didn't make it, or were killed by boars.
Targeting sows is never a good idea in low bear population areas.
If you want to reduce the number of bears, then yes.
But I don't know many areas in BC where bear population is thriving.

Darksith
04-21-2023, 10:22 AM
A sow may not have cubs this year, but she may have cubs next year.
Maybe her cubs didn't make it, or were killed by boars.
Targeting sows is never a good idea in low bear population areas.
If you want to reduce the number of bears, then yes.
But I don't know many areas in BC where bear population is thriving.

don't you mean you don't know where bears in BC aren't thriving? We have more bears than anywhere...

adriaticum
04-21-2023, 10:25 AM
don't you mean you don't know where bears in BC aren't thriving? We have more bears than anywhere...

True, I only know one place and I don't get there often.

KodiakHntr
04-21-2023, 01:24 PM
If we are serious about reducing bear numbers in the hope of saving fawns and calves, we should really be lobbying to raise the limit. Push it to 2 spring bears and a fall bear or two.

For the average hunter it won’t change anything because they don’t kill any bears anyway, but for the guys who target bears it would have an immediate effect. I know lots of guys (myself included) who target big boars exclusively who won’t burn a spring tag on an average or even slightly above average bear, just so they can look for a monster in June. And I personally like hanging onto a tag in case I stumble onto a stomper in October or November (like last season) so end up eating a tag or two every year.

If you could kill an average one in May and hold out for a big boar in June, and buy a third “just in case tag”
for the fall season a lot more bears would be tipped over every year.

moosinaround
04-21-2023, 02:44 PM
My opinion, a dead bear, is one less bear stomach to feed. I use bear for sausage, so a medium sized bear is usually pretty good for me. I'll watch and make sure its not a sow with cubs, but boar, sow, big bear, medium size bear, don.t matter to me. I like a dead bear! Usually like to try and stalk up close to them, there's lots of them, so if I get busted, I'll find another. I am also of the ease of retrieval school of thought. I'm not packing a bear out on a packboard. If the quad can't get to it, it lives! I do like to see the big buggers though, and thats why I hunt the end of May for bears. The boars are starting to look for love, between their sleeps, and their eating frenzies. Moosin