PDA

View Full Version : Tulamene from the coke

canuckchuck
04-16-2023, 05:26 PM
Been a few years since I was up that way, but is it passable to go through on the Tulamene Lawless FSR?

kevingm1987
04-16-2023, 06:05 PM
90% sure it’s still washed out from Nov 2021 storm

Iron Glove
04-16-2023, 07:15 PM
Nope, not passable. You might make it through in an ATV but there are places where a side by side wouldn't. #3 is in great shape and you'd make better time even if Lawless was driveable. The whole area got hammered pretty bad in the storm in 2021, rumour is some of the roads, such as the Tulameen River Road out of Tulameen will never be rebuilt. The road from the Connector, down #5 then onto Coalmont Road is in good condition.
If hunting, you can access the area above Coalmont easily from Coalmont Road at Coalmont.

Pablothemagnificent
04-16-2023, 09:14 PM
Nope, not passable. You might make it through in an ATV but there are places where a side by side wouldn't. #3 is in great shape and you'd make better time even if Lawless was driveable. The whole area got hammered pretty bad in the storm in 2021, rumour is some of the roads, such as the Tulameen River Road out of Tulameen will never be rebuilt. The road from the Connector, down #5 then onto Coalmont Road is in good condition.
If hunting, you can access the area above Coalmont easily from Coalmont Road at Coalmont.

I can attest to what Iron Glove is saying here.
A buddy and I were deer hunting in the Tulameen in early November of 2021, just a few days before the deluge arrived. We traveled north out of the settlement of Tulameen to Lawless Creek and did a counter-clockwise route, thinking that we could reconnect with the Tulameen FSR at the west end and travel back to the village. We barely made it through and it was very sketchy. When the monsoon came there is no way that stretch of road would be passable any longer. I was back in that general area in October of '22; there were still unrepaired washouts all along the Tulameen FSR. I'll put it this way... it is a great time to own an excavator and have government contracts in that area.

canuckchuck
04-17-2023, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the information guys will not waste my time going that way when i get around to going up to Tulameen.

Iron Glove
04-17-2023, 06:53 PM
I can attest to what Iron Glove is saying here.
A buddy and I were deer hunting in the Tulameen in early November of 2021, just a few days before the deluge arrived. We traveled north out of the settlement of Tulameen to Lawless Creek and did a counter-clockwise route, thinking that we could reconnect with the Tulameen FSR at the west end and travel back to the village. We barely made it through and it was very sketchy. When the monsoon came there is no way that stretch of road would be passable any longer. I was back in that general area in October of '22; there were still unrepaired washouts all along the Tulameen FSR. I'll put it this way... it is a great time to own an excavator and have government contracts in that area.

During the deluge our Son drove up to the cabin from his home in Princeton to check the cabin out. Told him to get the hell home, it's too dangerous. Nope, he was gonna check it out. Phone rings, see it's from the Cabin. He says "Dad, you know how you used to have river view, now it's river front." We were very lucky, minimal damage, many people suffered badly.

Ohwildwon
04-20-2023, 02:30 PM
So I guess the only other way now is Brookemere…

Iron Glove
04-20-2023, 05:30 PM
So I guess the only other way now is Brookemere…

That got hit pretty bad too but I don't know what the current situation is.

Steeleco
04-21-2023, 06:16 AM
I did that route last fall. It was OK, there's a few dicey spots but nothing life threatening LOL

dmaxtech
04-21-2023, 09:28 AM
There is also the route from the Tulameen river up to the old coal mine and down to Coalmont. Did that last fall and it was all clear.

David
04-21-2023, 10:04 AM
You can do it two ways:
1 - The "hold my beer way" - take the snowmobile trails to Henning Cabin then from there down to Tulameen BUT you need a pretty decent 4x4 - HIGHLY recommend lockers. Going in the first 3-5KM from the parking lot are basically washed out. I did it with a samurai on 33's but it was sketchy in places until the cabin. After that it was a pretty wide SXS trail. I came out that way with a stock Xterra and a spotter, but again super sketchy - the Xterra would ahve never made it in to the cabin with the conditions of a couple of those hills.

2 - The "I wish to live way" - drive to the Murhpy Lakes West Campsite (there are a couple of concrete lock blocks you have to drive around but people have made a pass - full sizes with no lift have made it no problem). Keep driving to the second cut block (I think the road to the cut block is the last or second last right before the road ends) - drive to the end of the cut block and you'll see a 4X4 trail heading up through the cut block. it goes maybe 200 meters and then connects to the main FSR and you can drive down to Tulameen. Kind of hard to explain but just look at a satellite map, get to the campground, and you should be able to figure it out from there (you're basically avoiding the major washout just above the lakes). We did this in the stock Xterra - just needed 4Low to get through the cutblock.

We did all of that in September 2022 - my kid limited out on both types of grouse there. If there's snow both routes are farked though.

Ohwildwon
04-25-2023, 08:23 PM
That got hit pretty bad too but I don't know what the current situation is.

Brookemere FSR was completely regraded last summer, and I believe it’s considered an essential rd for emergency

use in case of more catastrophic damage on the Coke…

Steeleco
04-26-2023, 05:01 AM
Brookemere FSR was completely regraded last summer, and I believe it’s considered an essential rd for emergency

use in case of more catastrophic damage on the Coke…

Its the only road out if there is a fire between the village and the hwy. They've been close to burnt off the map twice in recent times.

BeerMan
04-26-2023, 02:25 PM
How's the KVR between Brookmere and Coalmont road?
Last time I was there the bridge was out at Youngsberg rd, so just taking the long way around.

Steeleco
04-26-2023, 03:20 PM
There's a sign on the entrance to the KVR from the Coalmont main that shows it as closed. That was late November. Like much of the KVR those storms hammered it, the trial from Coalmon to Tulameen is done, some say for good??