PDA

View Full Version : trapping question

Dale
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
do you have to be a registered trap line owner or assistant in order to trap in bc? back in Manitoba we had open areas where a guy could go and trap with just a license and not have a registered trap line, is there anything like that here??

boonerbuck
12-05-2007, 12:35 AM
You can trap on your own property as well. Beware of neighbours pets tho....:lol:

hunter1947
12-05-2007, 04:55 AM
If you have the land owners permission you can trap on there land ,or get permission to trap on a registered trap line from the trapper. You see most land is divided up into sections that are registered by trappers. It's like the zone areas in the hunting regs.

Chuck
12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Dale, I think that the answer to your question is "yes". Though I trapped for many years, I no longer do so and I'm not up on the regulations, but I don't think that the rules have changed much.
In order to legally trap fur for sale, you need a trappers number, similar to a hunters number. Or you could assist a registered trapper by teaming up with him on his trappers number.
The entire province is divided up into trapping areas, which are assigned to all the registered trappers. This has been how the system was regulated in the past.
In order to have your own trap line, you must purchase it from a trapper who intends to be no longer active in trapping, or inherit it from kin. In order to do this you must have your own trapper number therefore and this requires having completed an educational course as proof of knowledge and competency as well as updated as to changes in regulations etc.
Trapping nuisance animals, other than fur bearers, is a different story. No one can take fur bearing animals for sale legally other than those listed in the hunting regulation except registered trappers. Be certain - talk to a CO.

hunter1947
12-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Dale, I think that the answer to your question is "yes". Though I trapped for many years, I no longer do so and I'm not up on the regulations, but I don't think that the rules have changed much.
In order to legally trap fur for sale, you need a trappers number, similar to a hunters number. Or you could assist a registered trapper by teaming up with him on his trappers number.
The entire province is divided up into trapping areas, which are assigned to all the registered trappers. This has been how the system was regulated in the past.
In order to have your own trap line, you must purchase it from a trapper who intends to be no longer active in trapping, or inherit it from kin. In order to do this you must have your own trapper number therefore and this requires having completed an educational course as proof of knowledge and competency as well as updated as to changes in regulations etc.
Trapping nuisance animals, other than fur bearers, is a different story. No one can take fur bearing animals for sale legally other than those listed in the hunting regulation except registered trappers. Be certain - talk to a CO.
Well stated wording Chuck ,i myself am a registered trapper ,i took my course with Jim Hatter 7 years ago ,hear in Victoria ,he is still teaching the courses at his home and he is in his late 70ties.

sawmill
12-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Don`t mean to hijack the post but can a guy set a few snares for rabbits during season just for personal use?

Tanya
12-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Tanya's hubby John here.

If you have you're trapper number (need to take the course) and license (separate document issued by MOE) you can trap fur animals on private land. You do need WRITTEN permission from the landowner.

Mr. Dean
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Tanya's hubby John here.

If you have you're trapper number (need to take the course) and license (separate document issued by MOE) you can trap fur animals on private land. You do need WRITTEN permission from the landowner.

C'mon Tanya's hubby John there.... You know you WANT TO..... Isn't it time you quit riding on the Mrs's. coat taills and got your own membership???

Membership does have it's rewards. ;)

We could call ya THJH. It would save you a lot of finger stabbin' :razz:

boonerbuck
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Don`t mean to hijack the post but can a guy set a few snares for rabbits during season just for personal use?

You can snare snowshoe hare under your hunting licence where there is a open hunting season for them. They do not fall under the trapping regs.

Barracuda
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM
who in the lower mainland offers the trapping course?

porcupine
12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Jim Hatter is still running his trap line, but he is in his mid 80's now.
________
uhwh (http://uhwh.com/)

Pete
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
In order to trap in BC you need to have an ATN (Assigned Trapper Number) To get an ATN you either take the The BCTA Beginners course or if you have an instructor that is agreeable you can do a one on one trapline course. Cost of the beginners course is $290 which includes the manual and a years membership to the BCTA. If you want a Trapline course you will need to work out a price with the instructor.
Just because there is private property included on a trapline it still does not give you the right to trap it without the owners permission. You do need Written Permission to trap on private property with a copy being sent to the MOE.
Jim Hatter has or is going to step down as an instructor. The new instructor in up in that area will be Jerry Baker. A list of instructors and locations can be found by contacting the BCTA through their website.
Cheers
Pete

Dale
12-06-2007, 10:19 PM
thanks for all the info. question has been answered. thanks

hunter1947
12-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Jim Hatter is still running his trap line, but he is in his mid 80's now. Porcupine have you herd how his wife is doing ,i heard she was sick and in the hospital 6 months ago ???http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

Tanya
12-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Tanya's hubby John again;
Hey there Mr. Dean.
Only got one computer so this is just easier than switching names all the time.
She posts more than me.