PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt Montana?

Bear Brawler
04-10-2023, 09:59 AM
I've put in for the elk draw with a buddy from Texas to go hunt elk together. It was not cheap let me tell you haha. I am wondering if anyone else on here has done it? I'm curious, and I will research and make calls if I need to but as a restricted license holder, would I be allowed to carry a pistol while hunting down there? We would both be bow hunting only, he will bring his 10mm pistol so I thought maybe I'd pay for him to grab another one, and just leave it with him afterwards. Guess we picked an area with some grizzlies and wolf so I'd love to carry a sidearm if I could, legally. Will have bear spray at the very least.

dracb
04-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Check here:::: https://globalisationguide.org/usa/buy-gun-tourist/#0-exception-18-usc-922y2

Bear Brawler
04-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Thanks man, much appreciated. Still easier for him to buy ahead of time and I take away the fact I should be allowed to carry his secondary while we hunt. Would be worth it to go through the steps if you'd be allowed to bring it all home with you afterwards.

Redthies
04-10-2023, 04:23 PM
Unless you are a US citizen, I think you are limited to having a handgun on you only at specific shooting events. I don’t think bow hunting qualifies. Getting your buddie to bring an extra is likely the best bet, but then comes the “will you be proficient enough with whatever he brings you to make it worthwhile” question. I’d still carry if I was concerned for my safety, but just a point to consider.

We are planning a bird hunt there this fall, so I have looked into that, but I noticed big game tags are pricey…

northof49
04-10-2023, 06:28 PM
I have packed a defender with side folding stock slung across back when bow hunting. Have a cordura sling strap that I cut mid chest and installed a heavy duty plastic quick release buckle. Carry it muzzle down across back empty chamber and dry fired so can quickly release buckle while holding muzzle end and rack a round without searching for action release. Only takes 2-3 secs to be in business and don’t even notice it and doesn’t interfere with shooting my bow. Nice to have along in those higher density areas.

Bear Brawler
04-11-2023, 06:31 AM
Yep, I have a defender with folding stock also, I carry it when elk hunting in the Kootenay. I am gonna see what options my buddy has available in Texas to bring if we draw.

MOOSE MILK
04-11-2023, 09:44 AM
I hunted in Wyoming with a flintlock rifle and carried a .44 mag. handgun as well as a Ruger single six .22.
That was before the "Twin Towers", I just had to get a transport permit from the RCMP to the border and then back again to my residence.
Once I was in Wyoming I could open carry anywhere, as long as it was not canceled. You could even have it on the seat of the truck fully loaded, as long as it was fully visible.
The .22 saw the most action, snakes with little rattles, long-eared bunnies, and goofy gofers!
MM

Bear Brawler
04-18-2023, 06:34 AM
We got the draw!!!!! Results came out yesterday. I will be practicing with my pistol more this summer, buddy is going to buy a glock 20(10mm) and bring it with him, for me to carry. Bigger than my 9mm but I'll get comfortable with a chest harness and practice with it.

northof49
04-18-2023, 03:08 PM
Nice when a plan comes together. Have fun!!

Jrax
04-19-2023, 09:03 AM
We got the draw!!!!! Results came out yesterday. I will be practicing with my pistol more this summer, buddy is going to buy a glock 20(10mm) and bring it with him, for me to carry. Bigger than my 9mm but I'll get comfortable with a chest harness and practice with it.

geez!! sounds like someone is more interested in packing a pistol than the actual draw lol. I know the feeling of carrying a bow only while hunting in BC and it does seem insane, the alternative is to carry my 45-70 or bear mace. Bear mace just doesnt cut it for me when standing over a carcass in the bush for bear protection. I bet many more hunters would be using the bow if we could pack a sidearm.

anyway, would love to hear more about the draw/area and if you are successful or story when time comes

j270wsm
04-19-2023, 10:10 AM
Bear brawler….what was the cost for the draw? Trophy area? Does Montana require you to buy your licence when applying for the draw? I have been applying( building points ) for antelope and mule deer in Wyoming for the last 3 yrs and 1yr for Kansas whitetail. All in I might have spent $400 for both myself and my son.