PDA

View Full Version : Fly-In Gear List Help

aamenta
04-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Hello, myself and two others are heading out on our first fly-in hunt this year and I am wondering if anyone can share their full gear list on what they bring. I am the one in charge of making sure everyone has what they need and as a group we are prepared to go in.

Going for Moose/Caribou up in Region 6.

Flying out around the 12th of Sept or so. 10 days

Going to make main camp right at our drop off location at the lake.

Feel free to just pm me if that's easier,

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help.

A

Bullreaper
04-06-2023, 05:45 AM
Are you planning on a minimalist approach or are you gonna be setting up a wall tent and have a fairly equipped camp? Pending how big the lake is, a zodiac with a little 2hp motor. Being able to navigate the lake that way vs walking around will save you a ridiculous amount of time and effort, especially if your spotting game on the other side.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2023, 06:15 AM
What type of aircraft you booking? Hopefully a beaver.

SSS

s a
04-06-2023, 06:50 AM
I got an enormous amount of useful information out of this guy, Lance Kronberger. As a first timer really take in what he is saying. Yes it is a bit of a brand spiel and slanted towards guiding. But there is no substitute for first hand experience.

https://youtu.be/0erjuuaR52M

His gear lists shown here are a excellent foundation

https://freelanceoutdooradventures.com/pages/gear-lists

Bustercluck
04-06-2023, 07:15 AM
I can give you my 10 day backpacking list, but it’s probably a bit different than what you’d bring in an airplane.

HappyJack
04-06-2023, 07:21 AM
I got an enormous amount of useful information out of this guy, Lance Kronberger. As a first timer really take in what he is saying. Yes it is a bit of a brand spiel and slanted towards guiding. But there is no substitute for first hand experience.

https://youtu.be/0erjuuaR52M

His gear lists shown here are a excellent foundation

https://freelanceoutdooradventures.com/pages/gear-lists

I checked out his moose hunt list, he missed a lot of stuff. Like bug dope, cooking implements, an axe, a saw, game bags, bear spray etc, but it's a good starting point.

high horse Hal
04-06-2023, 08:40 AM
A lake-based hunt can be quite luxurious or a backpack into the hills after caribou can be minimalist spartan
Using local materials for shelter can save plane space instead of packing a big tent

BCbillies
04-06-2023, 10:28 AM
I've only done fly-in backpack hunts so it's minimal and what comes in comes out. I will say that many of us have experienced quite the camp setups left behind from others with massive amounts of camp shit and garbage strewn all over the place. I am guessing that folks bag their moose and/or caribou and try to save on paying for an extra flight in/out and voila we are left with a mess near the lakeshore. While waiting for the plane to arrive we've enjoyed some massive bon fires in cleaning up these garbage dumps and take out what we can with what room we have left in the plane.

So best to plan ahead on how many flights may be required with the game harvested and taking out what you brought in.

Muledeercrazy2
04-06-2023, 11:15 AM
What type of aircraft you booking? Hopefully a beaver.

SSS

seems like this is the starting point…. Capacity of the aircraft, weight of passengers. Are you planning for two trips out if you are successful?

Trekker
04-06-2023, 11:23 AM
This is how we do it.

-Bring a small boat as Bullreaper said, preferably a small zodiac style with a small outboard 2 - 4hp. Weighs around 100 pounds and packs small. Canoe on the floats will knock off 300 pounds of capacity in a beaver. For moose and caribou a boat is basically essential, it will save you time and a lot of work, and if its a larger lake will open up more of it to you.

-Lightweight tipi or use backpacking tents over walltent. Walltent is heavy and takes up a lot of room in plane, and takes a lot of wood to heat. Not much for wood or its wet in higher elevation caribou lakes.

-We bring basically our backpacking gear + a bit extra gear comforts for camp. The idea is to strike a balance between a comfortable camp, but not over packing. Extra flights are expensive, less gear you bring, more meat you can haul out with less flights.

-If you have room on the way in, bring some wood in.

-For food we bring backpacking food for each day were in so if we choose we can spike out as needed. Plus a bunch of better stuff for basecamp cooking. Be sure to have extra as its not uncommon to be stuck in a few extra days from weather.

For three guys, as long as you pack efficiently you will be able to get in on one flight in a beaver and then one or two flights out depending how successful you are.

Darksith
04-06-2023, 01:05 PM
I suggest you make a list. What you can bring will depend first and foremost what you own. You are flying in a Beaver (1200lbs including people) if your in Reg 6, probably will Bill. I make my list, I know all my gears weights and then its just a game of whats necessary and whats a luxury. Heres an example of my list of gear. This was a 4some with 2 inflatable boats coming along and a big canvas tent and stove for the old guys.

Item Weight

Canvas Tent

Tarps 4 - 16x20 costco 2 pack 8.6lbs

Rope/Hydro Twine

Bailing wire

Chainsaw (sthil 032 20" bar)

Chain Oil/mixed gas 5/1L

Axe

Coleman stove + propane bottles

Duct Tape

Lighters

Bucket/toilet seat

Spikes/Nails

Large Cooler

Cots (large cabela's with no accessories)

Chairs (5-6.5lbs for decent fold up)

Toilet Paper (2 rolls each) 7 oz/lg roll)

Booze (eg. 24 canned beer = 20lbs)

Totes w/ Lids (2 ea x 4.5 lbs)

Inflatable Life jackets

Personal Gear

Food

Coffee pot

Frying Pan

Camp Cooker

Spoon/spatula

Plastic Cutlery

Paper Plates

Game bags

Table

Boat

Lantern

Rags/Towels

Dish Soap

Dish Tub

Airtight Stove

Stove Pipe

Garbage Bags

Salt/Pepper/Spices

Ziplock Bags (1 box 25 large)

Gun Cleaning Kit

Personal Gear

Cots (large cabela's with no accessories)

Chairs (5-6.5lbs for decent fold up)

Toilet Paper (2 rolls each) 7 oz/lg roll)

Booze (eg. 24 canned beer = 20lbs)

Boat

Motors (30lbs ea confirmed google)

Boat Gas (gas weights 1.65lbs/litre +jerry=40lbs)

Totes w/ Lids (2 ea x 4.5 lbs)

JAGRMEISTER
04-07-2023, 08:27 AM
Be sure to take the kitchen sink!

high horse Hal
04-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Be sure to take the kitchen sink!very important, have never found one abandoned

aamenta
04-25-2023, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone,
Change of plans for me.

Got my first little on the way this year so I've decided to postpone my trip for another year.

Appreciate all the help and messages.
Definitely confident going in when it comes time.

Cheers!

eatram
04-25-2023, 01:09 PM
Congrats.

Little known fact about St Valentine. He is the saint of vegetarians...