PDA

View Full Version : Knife store/specialty knife store

TheObserver
03-30-2023, 01:56 PM
In the market for a couple of new knives, anybody know of a good knife/specialty knife store in lower wasteland/Fraser Valley?

adriaticum
03-30-2023, 02:05 PM
House of knives or HACS show. Most gun shops/Outdoor/ Milsurp have them

moosinaround
03-30-2023, 02:09 PM
https://northarmknives.com/

wideopenthrottle
03-30-2023, 02:18 PM
roy from blacktail designs makes incredible knives

Roy Gerrath (@blacktail_custom_designs) • Instagram photos and videos (https://www.instagram.com/blacktail_custom_designs/)

Bustercluck
03-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Grohman is canadian made in pictou Nova Scotia if you’re not going custom. They have a scratch and dent section too at roughly half price.

Support canadian if you can and there’s no reason not too as their products are far better than any Chinese piece of shit with a fancy name.

BCbillies
03-30-2023, 02:36 PM
Grohman is canadian made in pictou Nova Scotia if you’re not going custom. They have a scratch and dent section too at roughly half price.

Support canadian if you can and there’s no reason not to as their products are far better than any Chinese piece of shit with a fancy name.

I’ll second the Grohmann! For the cost they are hard to beat . . . I’ve owned two and only bought a second one to replace the one that took a dive into the lake.

Muledeercrazy2
03-30-2023, 04:06 PM
I have a fallkniven h1 that I love, had it for years and take it everywhere except longer backpacking trips. The only drawback is i prefer a leather sheath, they don't make noise if you bump them.

I also have a Grohmann belt knife and that is a great recommendation for a Canadian made knife that will last years.

I have a benchmade folder that i really like as well. I find i dont like having a belt knife on with a heavy pack so i like having a good folding knife thats easy to get at and always on you.

thompie505
03-30-2023, 04:07 PM
2nd for North Arm Knives!! Locally made it Burnaby by a father/Son team. Awesome products. The Lynx is my favourite, fillet knives are awesome too. Very good customer service.

Muledeercrazy2
03-30-2023, 04:14 PM
I would order any of these online for the best price, Grohmann direct and check their seconds if you want to get a better deal. I imagine a good custom knife starts at 600 and although there are great craftsmen making them across the country you would have no real assurance of any warranty from a small business. How much are you looking to spend? My H1 was about 400$

edit- Randall knives have been around for years and they are custom knives, but you either wait 5 years or pay a premium. I would have some confidence they will still be making knives down the road. That would probably cost you 5-600 usd, I haven’t looked lately

BimmerBob
03-30-2023, 04:26 PM
In the market for a couple of new knives, anybody know of a good knife/specialty knife store in lower wasteland/Fraser Valley?

No argument with the Grohman comments however if you are spending a few hundred you may wish to contact Blacklab on this site, he is a phenomenal knife maker and you will not be disappointed if you order one made by him.

Cheers and be well.../B

Bullreaper
03-30-2023, 05:02 PM
Does the place have to be in the lower main land? Or you open to checking out other spots? I just bought Montana Knife Companies Blackfoot 2.0. Couldn’t be happier. If you’ve never heard of MKC, check them out. Josh Smith (Josh smith knives is his custom shop company) is a master blade smith and knows what hunters want and need and builds his knifes accordingly. As well, Tanner at Frontiersman Gear in PG builds some next level knifes, check him out too.

Bear Brawler
03-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Mike Jones Knife and Tool. made in Quesnel BC.

Arctic Lake
03-30-2023, 09:33 PM
Here my 2 cents ! I used knives most of my working life . What do you want to use the knife for ? If you want a knife that is custom made and has excellent quality and cost you hundreds of dollars leave it on a desk at home for opening letters !
Because your going to be sicker than a teen girl who drank to much gin at the high school dance if you loose it .
Arctic Lake

Ferenc
03-30-2023, 10:27 PM
As Arctic Lake said ..... have a look at “ Mora of Sweden “ knives .... especially the older ones ... fair price range and it gets the job done.

KBC
03-30-2023, 10:43 PM
I have a couple Benchmade knives. Good steel and good quality. Expensive enough to care about but not custom enough to be too sick if you lose one. Although, I've had the same one in my pocket for the last 8 years and I'd be pretty upset if I lost it.

TheObserver
03-30-2023, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

What i'm looking for does not have to be custom, but definitely want quality and don't mind paying a 100-200+, the main one I want is a big bowie knife stabber for defence in the event I get attacked by a Bear or Lion and my gun gets knocked out of my hands I almost strictly scout and hunt alone so I always carry one, the one I take out now is my Dads and don't want to keep taking it out in the elements and bushwacking with it as it and the sheath inevitably takes a beating.

Stainless fixed blade with studs/rivets bowie knife what i'm looking for, then just a nice all purpose/camp knife because I lost my last one in Sept. I've got all the skinning and gutting knives I need. Was thinking about a nice backcountry folding knife with a saw 2 in one as well if I have enough but that one can wait

Dutch
03-30-2023, 11:07 PM
For that ,I would look at cold steel, or spartan have both and they are a good bang for your buck.Customs are nice and have more than a few of them but AL is right you lose a factory bowie does not hurt as much as a custom.I carry an American knife co sheath as my go to hunting but also have a beauty Solingen that is in my pack.Most knife co will ship and the nutz has the odd buy in edged weapons

TheObserver
03-31-2023, 07:48 AM
I would order any of these online for the best price, Grohmann direct and check their seconds if you want to get a better deal. I imagine a good custom knife starts at 600 and although there are great craftsmen making them across the country you would have no real assurance of any warranty from a small business. How much are you looking to spend? My H1 was about 400$

edit- Randall knives have been around for years and they are custom knives, but you either wait 5 years or pay a premium. I would have some confidence they will still be making knives down the road. That would probably cost you 5-600 usd, I haven’t looked lately

Not looking for a custom just yet, would be willing to spend 200-400

TheObserver
03-31-2023, 07:49 AM
Does the place have to be in the lower main land? Or you open to checking out other spots? I just bought Montana Knife Companies Blackfoot 2.0. Couldn’t be happier. If you’ve never heard of MKC, check them out. Josh Smith (Josh smith knives is his custom shop company) is a master blade smith and knows what hunters want and need and builds his knifes accordingly. As well, Tanner at Frontiersman Gear in PG builds some next level knifes, check him out too.

No doesn't have to be down here, I just always like to get a feel for something first if I can

Elkaddict
03-31-2023, 09:17 AM
House of Knives for a Bowie style and something local.

https://houseofknives.ca/search.php?search_query=Bowie&section=product

North Arm for a camp knife. Really like my Lynx, and it holds an edge way better than my Grohmann.

https://northarmknives.com/product/lynx-hunting-knife-with-kydex-sheath/#description

whitlers
03-31-2023, 09:24 AM
Another vote for North Arm Knives. I own two. They are well made and durable. Local guys who are very friendly.

spreerider
03-31-2023, 03:16 PM
Ai and Om Knives for japanese style kitchen knives

https://www.aiandomknives.com/

gmcgilli66
04-19-2023, 08:14 PM

Support canadian if you can and there’s no reason not too as their products are far better than any Chinese piece of shit with a fancy name.
I Second the Grohman selection. Fine Canadian blades, Solid reputation.

M1SF1T
04-20-2023, 04:47 AM
Knifewear has a huge selection of Japanese knives:
https://knifewear.com/collections/japanese-kitchen-knives

moosinaround
04-20-2023, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

What i'm looking for does not have to be custom, but definitely want quality and don't mind paying a 100-200+, the main one I want is a big bowie knife stabber for defence in the event I get attacked by a Bear or Lion and my gun gets knocked out of my hands I almost strictly scout and hunt alone so I always carry one, the one I take out now is my Dads and don't want to keep taking it out in the elements and bushwacking with it as it and the sheath inevitably takes a beating.

Stainless fixed blade with studs/rivets bowie knife what i'm looking for, then just a nice all purpose/camp knife because I lost my last one in Sept. I've got all the skinning and gutting knives I need. Was thinking about a nice backcountry folding knife with a saw 2 in one as well if I have enough but that one can wait
Huh, I never ever thought of wearing a big a$$ knife for bear/lion protection??!! I've always had a defender/hunting rifle with me!! I always have my buck fixed blade on my hip, guess I subconciously did carry one for that? Anyways, I like the North arm stuff, don't own one yet, but handled a few, and they are nice! Moosin

TheObserver
04-20-2023, 08:30 AM
Huh, I never ever thought of wearing a big a$$ knife for bear/lion protection??!! I've always had a defender/hunting rifle with me!! I always have my buck fixed blade on my hip, guess I subconciously did carry one for that? Anyways, I like the North arm stuff, don't own one yet, but handled a few, and they are nice! Moosin

Also if i'm bow hunting too and don't have a gun with me, last resorts effort

one-shot-wonder
04-20-2023, 10:14 PM
Another vote for North Arm Knives. I own two. They are well made and durable. Local guys who are very friendly.

I'll third this!