PDA

View Full Version : Barnette Highway Roadkill

rollingrock
12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I took this pic with my cell. Very heartbreaking. A buck and a doe were killed at the same time this morning on Barnette Highway. Hunters have hunted hearts out for a buck, and this one was just killed so easily and wasted. The provincial government should bring back roadkill claims. What a waste....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/roadkill.jpg

lip_ripper00
12-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Where about on the Barnett were they hit?

rollingrock
12-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Westbound, almost at the exit of highway. A police cruiser was sitting there watching traffic.

Steeleco
12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
A buck and a doe were killed at the same time this morning on Barnette Highway So it's fresh!!! I'll be right there!!!

Seriously, it's stupid that this can't be consumed by someone. At the very least, there's some good amount of animal feed. I'm sure the folks at the game farm in Aldergrove could use them to feed the big cats, AS IS!!

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
If i found this deer lying beside the road dead and it was a legal set of antlers on it's head ,i would cut my deer tag and through it in the back of my truck. I would only do this if i had not got any deer this year and was not going out hunting any more. the deer would also have to be in good shape as what the pic showes. I think this would be legal ??? ,will have to look at the regs and see.

rollingrock
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
If I hadn't been in rush, I'd have stopped to talk to the officer to see if I could claim the deer. But the current law doesn't allow you to claim the deer automatically, I think?

rollingrock
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
So it's fresh!!! I'll be right there!!!

Seriously, it's stupid that this can't be consumed by someone. At the very least, there's some good amount of animal feed. I'm sure the folks at the game farm in Aldergrove could use them to feed the big cats, AS IS!!

David, have you got the deer back?:mrgreen:

Wildman
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Jump outa your rig and cut his head off.........:wink:..could you imagine the city folks reaction!!!!:tongue:

ryanb
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
From the hunting regs:

"It is unlawful to possess or transport a
big game animal that was killed unintentionally
by accident or collision, or was illegally killed."

Doesn't matter whether you cut your tag or not. You can call the CO for a permit to transport the roadkill, which I'm not sure how easy it is to get.

MichelD
12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
It's nice to see that there (or at least were) a couple deer left there. we had a buck walk between the the 100 and 200 yard targets at the old Barnet Rifle Range once and I saw a doe freaking out on Hasting Street by the tank farms once too, I think she had a fawn stashed in the bush across the road, her udder was really big. But I understood that the new roads on the south side of the mtn. had nearly wiped them out.

J_T
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Jump outa your rig and cut his head off.........:wink:..could you imagine the city folks reaction!!!!
Our organization has a contract with MOE to take the heads off of any mature elk and whitetail in our area. This applies to the ongoing Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) studies. Of course our biggest source of heads is road kill.

Have you ever seen the look on a passerby as you take an axe to the neck of some dead animal? We try to work in tandem so one can watch for traffic. Don't want to give someone the wrong impression.

Certainly easier once the weather cools off. There isn't quite as much splatter.....:eek::eek::cool:

Hey, twenty bucks is twenty bucks eh. But make no mistake about it, as unfortunate as it is, we kill an aweful pile of wildlife on our highways and railways.

Big7
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
From the hunting regs:

Doesn't matter whether you cut your tag or not. You can call the CO for a permit to transport the roadkill, which I'm not sure how easy it is to get.

I euthanized a little buck once that had a hind leg shot off (my dog found it still alive while I was laying out a block for harvest).

I field dressed it, drug it out of the block and put it in the back of my truck, once I got to town I called the CO.

He said I could keep it if I wanted to cut my tag otherwise it would be a $70 permit to transport it to a meat cutter. As it was only a spiker and only had 3 usable quarters, lots of deer season left (to shoot my own), I had the CO line up a less fortunate fellow in need of meat in the area. That fella sure was pumped to have some deer meat for the winter!

The biggest problem with road kill and meat waste is the "hitter" of the animal usually carries along with his day and doesn't report it...by the time the local authorities get there, the meat is wasted (especially in summer months). You hit it, you report it!

MIL720
12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
CO's wiil write you a permit right away...It is quite easy to permit a roadkill deer!

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
From the hunting regs:

Thanks for the info saves me looking it up in the regs ,alltho have never picked up a road kill before ,but was in the back of my mind recently. I guess the game department want the first choice on the animal for there wall ,if it was of any size ????.:roll:

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 05:46 PM
[quote=hunter1947;215176[/quote] Thanks for the info ,saves me looking it up in the regs. I have never picked up a road kill before ,but was in the back of my mind recently. I guess the game department want it for themselves if there is any size to the antlers or horns ???.

MRBucks
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Has any members tried, or actually recv'd a permit for a road kill? I have seen some pretty fresh kills on HWY 19 from time to time, and always though it was such a waste. I'd be tempted to call for a permit if I thought it was no problem.

Can you pick the deer up first, and then get a permit issued, or do you have to go to a CO's office, or home, and then go pick up the animal?

I imagine that some of the meat maybe pretty bruised up, and not worth eating. Anybody actually cut up a road kill? How'd it look meat wise?

Steeleco
12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
From the hunting regs:

When I got a permit for an Owl back in the spring, they gave me this page. Take a look at the Line 4D. If they won't allow possession why then have a fee!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_1476.jpg

ryanb
12-04-2007, 11:31 PM
When I got a permit for an Owl back in the spring, they gave me this page. Take a look at the Line 4D. If they won't allow possession why then have a fee!!

I'm sure they mean without the required permit....

tooty
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I got a deer once that was hit on the highway.Truck broke his back but didn't kill him.I called the CO on my cell and he came pretty quick and put him down.I told him a still have a tag.He said do you want him?Sure what the heck I'll tag out,done deal no paper work for him,lots of good meat with only a bit of buising on one shoulder.

hunter11
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry for the deer but I was wondering if there's still a good pop. around that area? or if you can even hunt there? Thanks.

BigfishCanada
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I saw that deer myself, I see many 2 points around there, You would get arrested I bet with a rifle in that area, Public beach, houses etc. Anyone hunting in that area would give us hunters a serious bad name!