PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Bear derby Official!

RyoTHC
03-23-2023, 06:39 PM
HBC Spring Bear Contest 2023

With everything going on in the world, I think it’s time to run another one of these to take everyone’s mind off the everyday stresses and get out enjoying the beautiful wilderness that we are lucky to enjoy and fill our freezers with delicious fee range meat.

General Rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife.

1 cut bear tag = 1 ballot for the draw

All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on the Contest entry thread (not this thread) once I’ve posted that.
If you can’t post picture yourself or have any issues you can email me and I will post them for you.

All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 1 2023.

All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are preferred and I’ll put an entry post in the contest thread for you.

All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.

picture of the cut tag with your bear is required, but personal details can be blurred out for the forum posts.

Winners will be determined by random draw done by a member not participating in the draw, but if not my local gun store owner will draw the winner.

Contest ends June 30/2023

Please allow up to 2 weeks after contest close to organize the draw and get the prizes mailed out to the winner.

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored. This simplifies and streamlines the process so no one is missed and this is fair.

Required Information

Species:
Date of Kill:
Region:
Harvest method inc caliber(unless it’s a bow kill)

Short Story:

photo last:

Of course, if anyone else has anything to donate I’d gladly pay for and arrange shipping or pickup and 100% of donations would go to the winner/s. I have not reached out to any businesses yet but should have time to do so this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Now onto the current prizes, this may have additions going forward but at minimum we have;

$200 Cabelas gift card donated by RyoTHC (usually I’d like to support a local business, but I already have this from a warranty claim.)

A beautiful German made full tang stag handle knife with leather sheath donated by SRUPP

**********(to be updated once I pick up the prize) donated by Kill-da-rabbit

Havalon skinning knife donated by Fozzy

Used but fully functional Garmin 64st GPs for a youth only draw donated by anonymous*

As it stands, we will have one knife and the gps for a youth prize and the gift card, second knife and **** for a general prize.

The caveat is that I’m doing the youth draw first and any youth that don’t win that draw will also remain in the general prize draw so potentially both prizes will go to a youth.

*****PLEASE READ THIS*******

I will discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries will be because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of March)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun! Good luck and enjoy your bear pepperoni.

here’s hoping to an even better turn out than last time and hopefully this draw format appeals to more people as I know many people didn’t bother even entering my last derby once a few big bears were entered.. this evens the playing field, and encourages everyone to participate and to fill their tags not just hunt for a trophy bear.

Any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to PM me.

Gateholio
03-23-2023, 07:04 PM
Awesome to see. I edited it only to make the font larger for us older guys Thanks for doing this!:)

RyoTHC
03-23-2023, 07:30 PM
Awesome to see. I edited it only to make the font larger for us older guys Thanks for doing this!:)

That’s more than fair considering I poached most of your write up lol

I will edit as soon as I’ve picked up the other prize and if any other donations come in.
good luck everyone !

Just over a week until another hunting season is upon us.

vincentcui
03-27-2023, 01:35 PM
Hi Ryan, thanks for organizing this, hopefully I will be able to participate. If I kill two bears in Spring, I can only submit one entry (of the larger bear) right?

boilerroom
03-29-2023, 05:06 PM
Hi Ryan, thanks for organizing this, hopefully I will be able to participate. If I kill two bears in Spring, I can only submit one entry (of the larger bear) right?

Dude, it says 1 cut bear tag = 1 ballot for the draw

HarryToolips
03-29-2023, 08:43 PM
Nice job RyoTHC , we all appreciate you putting this thread, and contest together, cheers...

Drillbit
03-29-2023, 11:03 PM
What's the trick to making new accounts for my kids?
Do they need their own email addresses first?

Don't want to get myself banned for multiple accounts! lol

RyoTHC
04-01-2023, 07:15 AM
What's the trick to making new accounts for my kids?
Do they need their own email addresses first?

Don't want to get myself banned for multiple accounts! lol

Good day sir.
a unique valid email should be all you need to get the ball rolling I believe.

sorry for the delay replying, new job has me travelling lots.

as for the draw entry question, you can buy and fill two bear tags each spring so you can have up to two entries for the draws assuming you filled both tags.

RyoTHC
04-05-2023, 07:28 PM
Let’s keep this bumped up now that bear season is upon us.

island guys should be filling tags any day now!
still 3 weeks I’d say until my neck of the woods is really grooving.

going to give it a go last weekend of April and see what it brings, still COLd nights and heavy frost killing any potential new growth though.

HarryToolips
04-05-2023, 09:21 PM
Let’s keep this bumped up now that bear season is upon us.

island guys should be filling tags any day now!
still 3 weeks I’d say until my neck of the woods is really grooving.

going to give it a go last weekend of April and see what it brings, still COLd nights and heavy frost killing any potential new growth though.

I'm seeing the same in my neck of the woods..

Dour
04-05-2023, 11:44 PM
They are awake !!!!!!! Go find them if you can !!!!!!!!!!!

Planer99
04-06-2023, 05:52 AM
Saw a nice brown one in valley view Kamloops on the weekend

RyoTHC
04-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Saw a nice brown one in valley view Kamloops on the weekend
No surprise the town dumpster bears are out first lol

Talltimber1
04-06-2023, 02:20 PM
Been out a couple times on the north island. Not much action. Cold and wet.

high horse Hal
04-07-2023, 08:49 AM
Sightings down low in N Okanagan, likely went back to bed as very little is green yet

RyoTHC
04-09-2023, 09:07 AM
Tonnes and tonnes of ungulates out, lots with twins AND pregnant. I feel like this was a good winter for the deer and moose..

scouted for 2 hours or so on a south facing valley in a mountain and had to have seen 100+ mule does and dawns, and at least a dozen white tail does with fawns. Nice to see !

no bears yet though.. I’m thinking last weekend in April and the ball will really be rolling in my neck of the woods.

DannyO
04-09-2023, 10:32 AM
Spent a day out this week walking two different coastal spots, the green grass is there but no tracks, no scat, no sign of a bear in spots usually holds many. Going to leave it for 10 days or so now

Forks
04-09-2023, 05:59 PM
I was out in 8-15 last week. Apparently bears are in town but did not see any. From the few outings into the hills, did not see any bear sign and hill sides were not very green. Wasn’t a serious scouting for bear, but thought I’d share my (lack of) findings. Hopefully bag my first bear this year. Plan is to head back up in a couple weeks and get a bear and turkey double header…

RyoTHC
04-09-2023, 07:11 PM
I always forget even once it gets warm, the green is still a few weeks behind… even if it’s 20C and sunshine, that ground still needs to thaw, warm and grow !

We are gunning for 4 bears to top of the freezers incase our first swing at elk this fall is a miss, which I won’t be surprised if it is..‘going to be a busy few weeks upcoming if that’s the case !

HarryToolips
04-09-2023, 09:22 PM
While out this weekend looking for antler sheds I noticed the grass is just starting to green up on the south facing slopes, nothing out yet for dandelion and clover though, and as expected, no bear sign yet... though it does take a little while for them to graze before getting rid of their fecal plug...

Been noticing a good amount of deer lately as well, I too believe the winter wasn't too harsh on them.. currently trying to pattern a local wolf pack though, they won't be good for the ungulates, especially the fawns I'd imagine?

TheObserver
04-10-2023, 10:45 PM
Tonnes and tonnes of ungulates out, lots with twins AND pregnant. I feel like this was a good winter for the deer and moose..

scouted for 2 hours or so on a south facing valley in a mountain and had to have seen 100+ mule does and dawns, and at least a dozen white tail does with fawns. Nice to see !

no bears yet though.. I’m thinking last weekend in April and the ball will really be rolling in my neck of the woods.

I was up shed hunting this weekend and I kid you not I seen 500+ Mule Deer in 4 days! Also seen a lot of predator kills though probably around 30 while pounding ground. Found some huge Wolf tracks of a couple different packs. Coyotes were the culprits on a lot of the kill sites I found though I think.

Grass is looking real lush here in region 2 now where i'm at.

604ksmith
04-24-2023, 06:36 AM
I was out in region 8 this weekend, along highway 6 and cut both grizzly and black bear tracks.
The grass is greening up, maybe 1-2 inches high in some spots, but there's still lots of snow making spots hard to get into, let alone catch bears out feeding in.

This weekend is looking great, hopefully the grass shoots up a bit more. I'm itching to get out, so I'll be setting up camp regardless.

TheObserver
04-24-2023, 09:56 AM
Bears started showing up on my cams April 14th in region 2, nice coats!

RyoTHC
04-24-2023, 10:39 AM
You had me excited that someone bagged a bear already. That being said town bears seem to be on the prowl.
two weeks and we will have bears out everywhere in my neck of the woods I bet you. May 6/7th weekend should be gold for anyone wanting to hunt the lower elevations or zone 3 or most of zone 8

Ron.C
04-24-2023, 10:57 AM
^^^^ yep. Seen 2 so far and have a couple that have been making appearances on my deer cams since 6 April.

Heading out late next week mid Van Isle for 4 days. Will be after a sausage/pepperoni bear so hope to be posting one up

HarryToolips
04-24-2023, 01:58 PM
Seems like Spring is a week or 2 behind in the N Thompson area..

srupp
04-24-2023, 02:09 PM
I actually LOVE bear hunting when no leaves or leaf buds..and the grass is only in patchs..bears HAVE to work to get it and travel between patches..

once grass is everywhere so are the bears making them much harder to find..leaves provide cover for that bear a mere 20 yards off the trail..

good luck hunters
Steven

DannyO
04-24-2023, 06:15 PM
I saw a little bear sleeping under a tree on Friday while I was out hunting.. watched him for over an hour at 124 yards but I was looking for a bigger bear on my first day out of the season.
I also came across the hide of a bear while hunting.. someone had been lucky in that spot a couple of days earlier! Can’t wait to get back out!

HappyJack
04-25-2023, 07:06 AM
I was up shed hunting this weekend and I kid you not I seen 500+ Mule Deer in 4 days! Also seen a lot of predator kills though probably around 30 while pounding ground. Found some huge Wolf tracks of a couple different packs. Coyotes were the culprits on a lot of the kill sites I found though I think.

Grass is looking real lush here in region 2 now where i'm at.

And here I thought the mule deer populations were way down and that is why they cut the annual harvest from 2 md to 1? Maybe that was just another excuse to take away some hunting opportunity.

TheObserver
04-26-2023, 09:59 AM
And here I thought the mule deer populations were way down and that is why they cut the annual harvest from 2 md to 1? Maybe that was just another excuse to take away some hunting opportunity.

They ain't hurting everywhere thats for certain!

caddisguy
04-26-2023, 10:45 AM
You had me excited that someone bagged a bear already. That being said town bears seem to be on the prowl.
two weeks and we will have bears out everywhere in my neck of the woods I bet you. May 6/7th weekend should be gold for anyone wanting to hunt the lower elevations or zone 3 or most of zone 8

A friend of mine took a chunky 5'5" out of R3 a week and a half ago. Butcher was pretty impressed with the shape that it was in.

RyoTHC
04-28-2023, 07:41 PM
I feel it in my bones. This weekend we will get our first entry and my guess is it’ll be from region 8.

TheObserver
04-30-2023, 12:26 AM
Got one guys! My first Bear and the story is UNREAL! Wait til you hear this. Will post a story with pics when I get home and cleaned up

RyoTHC
04-30-2023, 09:52 AM
Got one guys! My first Bear and the story is UNREAL! Wait til you hear this. Will post a story with pics when I get home and cleaned up

looks like you’re first sir.
awesome bear !

I will post up the official entry thread this afternoon and we will make sure you get yours in it.

let’s hope this motivates everyone else to get out !

also let’s keep at least this thread bumped so everyone that gets a bear enters.

fluffybuffalo71
05-01-2023, 12:06 PM
I'm sure the bear derby organizer has the best of intentions to make hunting more entertaining. I love bear hunting personally, I think it's under rated and we definitely have plenty of bears. In todays climate of ridiculous hunting policy changes I think you may regret using something like 'Bear Derby' in a title though. There was a 'Coyote Derby' held down in the US not long ago that was secretly attended by SPCA and other animal rights groups. it didn't go as planned. Recently in Washington state the spring bear hunt has been removed. Vancouver Island is also looking at taking bears and wolves off the menu, it's that close fellow hunters! So I respectfully ask of my fellow hunters to keep this in consideration, we can't afford to let them take away more animals and the right to hunt from us!

Wentrot
05-01-2023, 12:13 PM
I'm sure the bear derby organizer has the best of intentions to make hunting more entertaining. I love bear hunting personally, I think it's under rated and we definitely have plenty of bears. In todays climate of ridiculous hunting policy changes I think you may regret using something like 'Bear Derby' in a title though. There was a 'Coyote Derby' held down in the US not long ago that was secretly attended by SPCA and other animal rights groups. it didn't go as planned. Recently in Washington state the spring bear hunt has been removed. Vancouver Island is also looking at taking bears and wolves off the menu, it's that close fellow hunters! So I respectfully ask of my fellow hunters to keep this in consideration, we can't afford to let them take away more animals and the right to hunt from us!

Animal rights organizations and social justice warriors will continue to try taking things away no matter what. Enough pandering to these people, leave it titled as such-it’s a legal hunt.

stoneramhunter
05-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Animal rights organizations and social justice warriors will continue to try taking things away no matter what. Enough pandering to these people, leave it titled as such-it’s a legal hunt.

IMO i think a change would not be a bad idea.

TheObserver
05-01-2023, 01:06 PM

Like Wentrot said, the anti hunting agenda will be going ahead regardless why not enjoy things while you can. Appeasing these people will never stop until you can't own arms. There is nothing to be ashamed of why act like there is something wrong? and in doing so at the same time you are giving their claims false legitimacy, why would we do what we love in secrecy and walk on egg shells?

SPCA went down to the states, as in our BCSPCA? that sounds kind of weird to me got any links to that? I wasn't even aware they were anti-hunting

Are you from the island do you have any sources for this Bear and Wolf ban? wouldn't mind giving that a look hadn't heard of it myself.

IronNoggin
05-01-2023, 01:20 PM
... Are you from the island do you have any sources for this Bear and Wolf ban? wouldn't mind giving that a look hadn't heard of it myself.

Times Ten.
Spoke with my outfitting buddy here.
He has heard literally nothing about this, but is now investigating...

Source Please & Thanks!

Nog

Ridgehunter604
05-02-2023, 07:40 AM
I say leave the name as is. And let’s get some more stories.
the antis will always try and take things away, we need to convince the broader public that what they say is lies.
posting these stories shows just how many people take part in these hunts and how many families rely on game meat.
Now I would say to have some respect in the kind of photos and videos people share, but we shouldn’t stigmatize hunting by hiding it from the general public.

taking a new hunter out this weekend for his first bear hunt. Hopefully we’ll have some stories to add when we come back

RyoTHC
05-02-2023, 08:26 AM
Definitely not changing it. If you’re ashamed of hunting don’t take part.
to all those that do, I’m going to see if I can round up some more donations and really spice up this bear derby, the more participation the merrier. These are legally licensed hunters buying tags from the government and filling them. Absolutely nothing controversial about that assuming the regulations are followed, and if they aren’t the person would be disqualified anyways… Sous excluding them shows our respect for the rules the biologists put forward.

I know of 4 bears taken so far from members of this forum, let’s hope all of them take the time to do the write up and enter and share their stories with all of us.. some nice bears !

fluffybuffalo71
05-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Sorry guys if I've mispoken and gotten everyone's panties in a bunch. There are no changes that I know of immediately that will affect hunters on VI.

KL

Retiredguy
05-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Sorry guys if I've mispoken and gotten everyone's panties in a bunch. There are no changes that I know of immediately that will affect hunters on VI.

KL

KL....you have nothing to apologize for. You expressed your concerns and others disagree with you. While I have not heard anything about possible changes on VI bear seasons, I most certainly have seen what the use of "trophy" and "coyote derby" has done in other places. Like it or not certain words seem to "trigger" (yup, hate that current buzz word as well but seemed appropriate here) the anti-hunting warriors, who then focus their social media attacks on a new target. Like it or not they can draw so much negative attention via social media that they manage to convince the urban armchair environmentalists to rain down upon the local politicians via social media. The social media frenzy demanding changes get the vote dependant politicians worried and so they pay attention and consider pushing more non-science based changes.

It is happening globally and we are most certainly not immune. Just look at the grizzly season...or should I say the lack of it. It is also only a year ago that the state of Washington closed their spring black bear season.

I agree that what we legally do as hunters should not be a problem and we should not have to defend it. But social media has completely changed the playing field and WORDS do matter these days. At some point we all need to be realistic about where things are heading. I personally feel that the threads on hunting forums, such as HBC, should not be visible to anyone that is not a member. Why freely give the enemies ammunition to use against us? I have seen lots of photos on this site that the anti's could use to show what a bunch of blood thirsty *******s we are on social media...and they do poach hunting photos and use them against us.

But that is for another discussion. Many disagree with me I am sure, and that is fine as we are all entitled to an opinion. At some point however, we are going to find ourselves looking back and wishing we had paid attention to all of the warning signs and been a bit more cautious about what we put out there for all to see and read.

stoneramhunter
05-02-2023, 05:07 PM
KL....you have nothing to apologize for. You expressed your concerns and others disagree with you. While I have not heard anything about possible changes on VI bear seasons, I most certainly have seen what the use of "trophy" and "coyote derby" has done in other places. Like it or not certain words seem to "trigger" (yup, hate that current buzz word as well but seemed appropriate here) the anti-hunting warriors, who then focus their social media attacks on a new target. Like it or not they can draw so much negative attention via social media that they manage to convince the urban armchair environmentalists to rain down upon the local politicians via social media. The social media frenzy demanding changes get the vote dependant politicians worried and so they pay attention and consider pushing more non-science based changes.

It is happening globally and we are most certainly not immune. Just look at the grizzly season...or should I say the lack of it. It is also only a year ago that the state of Washington closed their spring black bear season.

I agree that what we legally do as hunters should not be a problem and we should not have to defend it. But social media has completely changed the playing field and WORDS do matter these days. At some point we all need to be realistic about where things are heading. I personally feel that the threads on hunting forums, such as HBC, should not be visible to anyone that is not a member. Why freely give the enemies ammunition to use against us? I have seen lots of photos on this site that the anti's could use to show what a bunch of blood thirsty *******s we are on social media...and they do poach hunting photos and use them against us.

But that is for another discussion. Many disagree with me I am sure, and that is fine as we are all entitled to an opinion. At some point however, we are going to find ourselves looking back and wishing we had paid attention to all of the warning signs and been a bit more cautious about what we put out there for all to see and read.

I agree if you ignore you cant complain later. Hunters don't own the animals they are for the benefit of all regardless if you hunt or not. Yes those that dont hunt do have an opinion. animals are enjoyed by all citizens and not everyone who does not hunt should be classified as anti hunting. I have plenty of friends that don't hunt but are not opposed to it. i dont see it as surrendering but stopping a potential fire from starting

ElectricDyck
05-02-2023, 07:13 PM
Went out east harrison to 30km today and checked out some spurs, was an enjoyable day, saw a bunch of blacktails, picked up some 12 guage hulls to reload from the shooting spots, picked a tick off my belly but in the end all I saw was one big pile of bear poop which interestingly actually looked old already. Really green by the lake but goes away pretty quick with elevation.

Also of interest I drove up on some indians while coming back down a spur road, they were loading a doe they just shot, they looked as if that was one of the better things that had happened in their lives....I congratulated them and carried on.

Oh and I saw Dan Hurd the youtube prospecting guy!

RyoTHC
05-18-2023, 07:16 PM
Where’s all the bear stories this year !?

I can definitely say it’s one of my toughest years chasing these buggers so far.

Dour
05-18-2023, 09:18 PM
Soooo how many entries are in this derby so far ? 1 ? Maybe you’re all trying to hard ��. I’m starting this weekend , and I’m not hiking or road hunting haha ! I’m going to plant my self in a creek with a beer and wait watching a hill side . if that doesn’t work I’ll just go 4x4ing and maybe I’ll see one when I stop.

Dan Hurd ? Hmmmm interesting 0.o There be gold in them hills

HarryToolips
05-18-2023, 09:55 PM
Lol sorry guys I promised the wife this past weekend I wouldn't shoot one and have to spend time processing a bear (mothers day weekend camping trip) - and when my son and I went for a quick rip up to do a quick fish we saw a nice one, I had my old 303 with me, my trigger finger was itchy but a promise is a promise and I don't need to be in the doghouse..

TheObserver
05-18-2023, 10:07 PM
Where’s all the bear stories this year !?

I can definitely say it’s one of my toughest years chasing these buggers so far.

I know, definitely thought there would be people posting there are definitely Bears being taken, dissapointing.

Going up to the OK to throw down salt in a couple of my Elk spots and check the cams I let soak, then I will be Bear hunting for the rest of my time up there. If I get another one i'll post a story and pics I know some appreciate it for sure, I always enjoy seeing game from our province and reading the story

browningboy
05-19-2023, 05:07 AM
Only one entry thus far? The Observer will be crowned king soon, couple more weekends to go….

HarryToolips
05-19-2023, 06:41 AM
Only one entry thus far? The Observer will be crowned king soon, couple more weekends to go….

We have until the end of June..

Hugh Mann
05-20-2023, 01:52 AM
Been out a whole bunch in parts of 3 and 8. It’s blowing my mind at just how little bears and bear sign I’m seeing. Places last spring you’d see 4-5 bears a day now don’t have a single, dusty old turd despite being bear heaven. I’ve only laid me eyes on two all spring and neither were shootable. With one exception, every spring bear my group has shot with one exception has died by now. Season is only half over though, still time to drop a dirty ol’ slob.

savage10
05-20-2023, 09:52 AM
Been out a whole bunch in parts of 3 and 8. It’s blowing my mind at just how little bears and bear sign I’m seeing. Places last spring you’d see 4-5 bears a day now don’t have a single, dusty old turd despite being bear heaven. I’ve only laid me eyes on two all spring and neither were shootable. With one exception, every spring bear my group has shot with one exception has died by now. Season is only half over though, still time to drop a dirty ol’ slob.

I spent 3 and a half days in region 3. Only saw 2 bears, one was across a canyon on First Nations land, and the other was just a little guy that we spooked off the road. Way less sign/scat than last year as well in the same areas.

IronNoggin
05-20-2023, 12:18 PM
Piperdown is on leave once again.
He asked me to let y'all know he has been rather busy this spring.
And successful.

Sent along this Jughead of a bruin to provide some encouragement for the bear chasers in the crew...

https://i.imgur.com/eorxRFj.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Ferenc
05-20-2023, 12:59 PM
That’s a gooder !!! Way to go !!!

Imdone
05-20-2023, 05:23 PM
That's a Pumpkin Head of a Black haired Porker!

Good on ya Pipes

Dlo11
05-24-2023, 11:47 PM
Downed a beauty today. Was feeling discouraged after not seeing much in the way of fresh sign. Anywho we have been up in region 3 for the last 3 days and not seeing much of any fresh sign. Decided to go for a rip on the atv this afternoon and just see if i saw anything moving. Came to an opening where my cousin shot a bear 2 days prior stopped the quad and noticed a dark shadow 5yards into the bush. By the time i got off the atv and got the rifle loaded it had moved. But i could hear it clicking its jaw or crunching something. So i decided to creep up the the timber edge, still clicking or crunching away but i can't see it. I get my binos up and i spot movement behind a tree about 50 yards away. It is still clicking away. Eventually it stands on its hind legs i see a clear shot at ita vitals. Boom, it spins and immediately starts groaning. I lose sight but the death moan was clear. I gave it 5 mins and then head up to look for it. Cant find it, im at a loss seeing as i knew it dropped. I had gone past where it expired. Soon after i found it a beauty Boar. Couldnt be happier after little to no sign around. Dont know how to post pictures but ill get it to someone who can.

jlirot
05-25-2023, 08:59 AM
I've been out for 2 days in my spots. Barely any sign this year. Weird.

fester
05-25-2023, 12:53 PM
POST UP HERE FOR MY ENTRY

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?174265-BEAR-DOWN-reallly-sorry-I-can-t-figure-out-how-to-post-pics

Greenthumbed
05-25-2023, 06:02 PM
Here’s a link to my entry…

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?174263-Spring-bear-hunt-adventure&p=2403204#post2403204 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?174263-Spring-bear-hunt-adventure&p=2403204#post2403204)

jlirot
06-06-2023, 10:33 PM
Bear down! There was at least one left in Region 3! I'll post a report later. I'm tired. :-)

mike31154
06-07-2023, 02:07 PM
I was out fishing yesterday on my favourite alpine lake. Snuck up on a good size boar (fairly certain it was male) feeding in the creek at one end. Paddling my solo Rob Roy canoe I'm able to sneak up on critters occasionally. There was a stiff westerly breeze & I came in downwind so he was oblivious to my presence. I reckon range to have been ~ 40 meters & was able to watch him for a good 5-10 minutes until he sauntered into the trees. Got a good look at him with my binos. Healthy fella. ;)

https://blz04pap003files.storage.live.com/y4mmsFutI4Dh0Z5SgbGjgfDO3XAOYljO6rW90JpejoVcjKe0Ad kmuaIdPmQUYVaejgw2CKLrO9LiLr44pCBy3wd5ejGa8o_XhAHO bV_d5fpFq3ewfPGjFE3OujpVoF2I4rsrz899_db2FwT6Xg06Jn xs9PzyyPAPdSqI8ojnk5K5lSecZ1ajzkIdO7amPRgWA_r?widt h=1024&height=834&cropmode=none

https://blz04pap003files.storage.live.com/y4mFSujJckSHAZ1XrBEuIqZojGjeYkHuKKZeLDvIaLJ0zhRTtt EdVjtz91-B839qcJ7Ka9UBl0M6_ps2qW6u7Qf9PH5cArbK40Enz5OfsaxW8 bsx3_VNUsn0HaTTmS2GTkGWm36gaRL_-5jQG3Nmsxb_UmnbTmQuA3B_F1VA8Dpqx12Kr1QG0hhjY7PgjyC NEHt?width=1024&height=906&cropmode=none

It was an ideal day for a paddle & I came home with 4 trout, 2 rainbows, 2 brookies. This little gem of a lake never fails to produce. Also caught glimpses of a few deer on the way home.
https://blz04pap003files.storage.live.com/y4ml_QWCNEgHV4t_YxU3dqYJRrQ_Pn1XxfgVHlDgGWFCB78spE rZrF6e1V3y-ojcd6ac2h8JRep1Yzrnz4i69nSx232q3sX6sKIW0CNHLUQvMR8 K2E0_k0VPJRmeo6whA7ZlMbO9tBvyZjIr4Q5KVdgHvA3aM15gq RCpnNXki4DL3kraFdINpktSXYIZsr3JSJw?width=1024&height=541&cropmode=none

RyoTHC
06-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Keep up the good work folks.
few more weeks! I know if a couple of waiting to post still

Leaseman
06-08-2023, 09:27 AM
Was out for a drive last weekend and saw 4 in an hour or so.....

One small, one medium and two that would be 6'.....or a tad more

One brown, two blacks and a nice light coated one.

IronNoggin
06-08-2023, 12:25 PM
Called in this bear last week in the northwestern rockies. Came in to a jackrabbit distress, walked right by us on his way to the call. Pretty intense experience, especially with a boar this size. Biggest bear I have ever hunted to date, he measured 7 foot 1 inch, and has a 21 inch head. Booner.

Cheers

https://i.ibb.co/nn82yNB/Book-Bear.jpg

Sweet!

Congratulations on a rather Big Boy!

Cheers,
Nog

SeaScene
06-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Six bears (one boar, two females (one with 3 cubs) yesterday our back pasture. Two years ago a rogue bear (unusual appearance with smallish body and longest legs ever seen on a black bear) hunted the pasture and slurped up 6 newborns. My rifle at a friends. Prepared this year. However, very few blacktails since. Daily de-forestation by corp thug Timber Waste and last year's hemorrhagic virus has taken a helluva toll. Three years ago every day up to 21 BTs grazing back there. Gone.

huntcoop
06-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Piperdown is on leave once again..... killin' bears!

https://i.imgur.com/eorxRFj.jpg

Looks like ya even scared the shit outta him, must be good eatin' :smile:

Livewire322
06-08-2023, 02:27 PM
I dropped a bear with my bow last weekend - the first animal I've take with a bow and the first animal I've taken with my grandfather in nearly 16 years!
I’ll try and post some more pictures and a story when time allows.
I didn't remember to take a photo with the tag and bear shown, so it won't be an entry into the derby, but I hope it inspires others to get out there and get after bears. There was lots of bear sign where we were and things were starting to 'heat up'.
https://i.imgur.com/PYf1a6W.jpg
https://imgur.com/a/li7dejE

RyoTHC
06-21-2023, 12:50 PM
Next Friday wraps this up folks!
hopefully a few of you get to make use of the last of the season here.
I will give members 7 days from season end to get their posts up and entries done.

From there we will do the draws and see who wins this years humble little derby.

I unfortunately have only got to get out hunting 3 times and only saw a couple small bears and sows but it looks like some of you are making the best of it for sure !

edit* had wrong date.

Arctic Lake
06-21-2023, 01:24 PM
Looks like some of you fellas did well ! Great photos !
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
07-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Well, that wraps up another spring !

will give everyone until Friday the 7th and then the draw will be done the following weekend.

congrats to all that entered, and congrats to all that filled their freezer.