PDA

View Full Version : Escalator Tax in Canada

HarryToolips
03-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I rarely drink alcohol yet realize that this is yet another govt decision that negatively impact us all, and I hope you all realize that, so plz write your local MP and put pressure on them to scrap this:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/ca/personal-finance/alcohol-taxes-going-up-canada#:~:text=Tax%20on%20liquor%20will%20rise,exc ise%20tax%20implemented%20in%202017.

Cheers, sorry to derail from more hunting but this is what happens when our governments are so corrupt...

HappyJack
03-22-2023, 08:04 AM
Our MP is a Conservative, so pretty sure he will be voting against it.

Piperdown
03-22-2023, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone,

I rarely drink alcohol yet realize that this is yet another govt decision that negatively impact us all, and I hope you all realize that, so plz write your local MP and put pressure on them to scrap this:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/ca/personal-finance/alcohol-taxes-going-up-canada#:~:text=Tax%20on%20liquor%20will%20rise,exc ise%20tax%20implemented%20in%202017.

Cheers, sorry to derail from more hunting but this is what happens when our governments are so corrupt...

TL, might be time to hit the sauce maybe you will see the light :wink:

adriaticum
03-22-2023, 08:23 AM
Buy liquor in the USA.

britman101
03-22-2023, 08:24 AM
Until the Liberals get voted out, they will not rescind this tax. Just another blatant tax grab to fatten up government coffers and to think up new ways to make Canadians poorer. Disgusting.......

SSG-man
03-22-2023, 09:01 AM
Needed to help fund their pay raises.

BigBanger
03-22-2023, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I’m have trouble understanding, How does this “impact us all” if I don’t drink? I understand government raising taxes on things I buy impacts me but I don’t buy alcohol, ever.

So, please help me realize how this negativity impacts me and I will be happy to write my MP.

SSG-man
03-22-2023, 09:55 AM
I’m have trouble understanding, How does this “impact us all” if I don’t drink? I understand government raising taxes on things I buy impacts me but I don’t buy alcohol, ever.

So, please help me realize how this negativity impacts me and I will be happy to write my MP.

Even if you would never touch a drop of alcohol, the escalator tax is a dangerous policy because it automatically hikes taxes every year. There’s no vote in Parliament. It’s taxation without representation.

And this policy could spread to all kinds of other taxes

BigBanger
03-22-2023, 10:29 AM
Even if you would never touch a drop of alcohol, the escalator tax is a dangerous policy because it automatically hikes taxes every year. There’s no vote in Parliament. It’s taxation without representation.

Ah ok, I understand. Hopefully it will spread to tobacco and marijuana eh? ����

Vortex hunter
03-22-2023, 10:36 AM
Ah ok, I understand. Hopefully it will spread to tobacco and marijuana eh? ����

Who buys Mary Jane from the government lmafo

adriaticum
03-22-2023, 10:41 AM

It impacts you in many ways, least of which is the tax on alcohol.
Most of all in loss of common sense.

This is a dull effort to slow down the destruction of the hospitality industry.
Every day I read about another restaurant closing down.
Liberals think that they will slow this down by increasing taxes on liquor to even the cost.
Also they need to collect money to pay for the debt they incurred while transferring money to the Biotech industry.

HarryToolips
03-22-2023, 10:50 AM
TL, might be time to hit the sauce maybe you will see the light :wink:

Lol maybe.......but I definitely won't be able to afford it now..ammo and buying gas to get into the bush has always been a priority for me..

HarryToolips
03-22-2023, 10:53 AM

Because less disposable income spending by others directly impacts our economy overall...can therefore also negatively impact jobs etc...

HarryToolips
03-22-2023, 10:54 AM

This as well.....

IronNoggin
03-27-2023, 03:00 PM
https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mps-vote-against-alcohol-tax-hike

Last night, MPs voted for the motion calling on the “government to cancel its April 1, 2023 tax increase on beer, wine and spirits.”

The motion passed 170 to 149 (https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/votes/44/1/275). The motion was sponsored by Official Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre and received unanimous support from Conservatives and New Democrats. All but one Bloc Québécois MP supported the motion.

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mps-vote-against-alcohol-tax-hike

Redthies
03-29-2023, 06:57 AM
Good to see Peter Pepper is getting the backing of NDP. The tax hike equated $0.0078 per bee, so $0.05 per 6 pack. Not exactly a grave concern beyond the principle of it.

bc7mm
03-29-2023, 07:44 AM
The fact that tax hikes however small are being defeated is somewhat encouraging. However, it will likely show up on page 67 of the daily news. If it actually makes it to the top ten pages it will have to be edited by their spin doctor so as not to stain the teeth of their gift horse. The opposition keep chipping away at them and even small victories are appreciated.

HappyJack
03-29-2023, 08:03 AM
Good to see Peter Pepper is getting the backing of NDP. The tax hike equated $0.0078 per bee, so $0.05 per 6 pack. Not exactly a grave concern beyond the principle of it.

Not much in one little bite, but what percentage of a 6 pack cost is already made up of taxation? Perhaps if they didn't hide the taxes and people could see it on their receipts there would be a little more concern?