PDA

View Full Version : 17 Wild Horses Killed

Downwindtracker2
03-15-2023, 01:53 PM
It's on the news, but like all news , short on details outside of it being near Walchinhin , which I'm sure to have mispelt . Any idea what gives ?

Imdone
03-15-2023, 03:18 PM
I wonder if it will turn out to be kind of like the Bald Eagle killings near Squamish a number of years back?

How senseless.

I hope who ever the lowlifes are did this get the book thrown at them.

I doubt it though.

Livewire322
03-15-2023, 04:01 PM
It’s a shame to hear about this - I’ve been around the horses up there quite a bit and have some great photos of them.

As much as I’d like to jump to conclusions about whodunnit, there’s plenty of stakeholders that want the horses gone. There was an official push to cull/remove them off Mt. Savona years back and it wasn’t the FN that were behind that.

swampthing
03-15-2023, 04:24 PM
I wondered about this as well? I know wild horses can wreak havok with homeowners and domestic horses so maybe they caused some shit and someone took things into their own hands?

elker
03-15-2023, 04:46 PM
I am wondering why there has not been a hunting season for the wild horses? I want to try the horse meat.

eatram
03-15-2023, 04:51 PM
I am wondering why there has not been a hunting season for the wild horses? I want to try the horse meat.

It's actually really really good. Similar to Rhino.

rageous
03-15-2023, 04:52 PM
One would think the horse population numbers would steadily increase year by year?
Are the horses rounded up by any groups?

Horses eat fair amount per day.

Livewire322
03-15-2023, 05:25 PM
One would think the horse population numbers would steadily increase year by year?
Are the horses rounded up by any groups?

Horses eat fair amount per day.

The ones I know of in the area I’ve heard these 17 were gunned down are/were semi-feral.
I’ve seen them in all four seasons (i.e., they weren’t rounded up regularly). They roamed around outside a rez/on-rez, so you can imagine their genesis.

srupp
03-15-2023, 05:48 PM
hmmm goodly numbers west of the Fraser river.....this situation is not new....
treated as problematic unless you were part of the indians tv show about them.

grrrrr

Muledeercrazy2
03-15-2023, 06:00 PM
If they are wild then aren’t they actually legal to hunt? Like feral pigs or sheep, etc?

Husky7mm
03-15-2023, 06:53 PM
If they are wild then aren’t they actually legal to hunt? Like feral pigs or sheep, etc?

No, apparently they are considered livestock, same with cattle, and you can’t shoot them, unlike feral pigs.

Lots of European countries eat horse, they don’t put them on a pedestal like people in North America do. I do find horses a useful and regal animal but like an wild elk I would definitely eat one. I expect it would likely taste somewhat like a wild elk, they eat a lot of similar things. A wild horse is actually an invasive species and displaces native wildlife. An open season would solve that chicken louie.

walks with deer
03-15-2023, 08:21 PM
I heard some talk of this back in january at the gas station if its part of what i heard of meat was definetly utilized.

Never tried it but sure horse is good mmm espeacially the young ones.

gutpile
03-15-2023, 08:44 PM
Would Indians hunt them for food ?

Bugle M In
03-15-2023, 10:32 PM
My dads only source of meat post WW2 was horse meat.
He said it was good.
I run into these horses quite often.
However, I have enjoyed running into them.
Some will stare from a distance.
Other times as soon as they see you they take off like the wind.
Not sure if it was really necessary.
But I am not a local, so not for me to decide.

Jereky
03-15-2023, 11:47 PM
They eat horse meat in Quebec I hear. Tree planters aren’t here yet so likely not the French ha

Pigfarmer
03-16-2023, 05:24 AM
No, apparently they are considered livestock, same with cattle, and you can’t shoot them, unlike feral pigs.

Lots of European countries eat horse, they don’t put them on a pedestal like people in North America do. I do find horses a useful and regal animal but like an wild elk I would definitely eat one. I expect it would likely taste somewhat like a wild elk, they eat a lot of similar things. A wild horse is actually an invasive species and displaces native wildlife. An open season would solve that chicken louie.

which is odd, because there is zero farm tax incentives for equine related costs.

they are seen more as pets than livestock.

Maybe get ahold of that whistler employee from the dogsled company?

jlirot
03-16-2023, 06:53 AM
A wild horse is actually an invasive species and displaces native wildlife. An open season would solve that chicken louie.

In the western US they are wreaking havoc. And you can't do anything about it because there are HUGE 'save the horses' groups.

Horse meat is awesome. I've eaten it a couple of times.

huntcoop
03-16-2023, 08:06 AM
Would Indians hunt them for food ?

A rumor I heard was the Asians would pay landowners to come and shoot some.

Downwindtracker2
03-16-2023, 08:11 AM
I heard it makes the best salami, he should know he was Hungarian .

triggerhappy
03-16-2023, 08:27 AM
They are invasive and out compete local wildlife populations. Killing them was the right thing to do. It is unfortunate that the meat went to waste though.

Arctic Lake
03-16-2023, 08:47 AM
If I’m not mistaken there are horse processing facilities in eastern Canada that sell to Europe .Not sure if this is still the case but worked with a slaughterman in B.C. that had worked in one in Ontario
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
03-16-2023, 09:27 AM
They are invasive and out compete local wildlife populations. Killing them was the right thing to do. It is unfortunate that the meat went to waste though.
Yes, they are invasive.
I would like to know how much damage they actually create and how severe their effects are on the MD in the area.
Are they feeding in the same sources of food that MD eat?
Maybe.
I just don’t know?
Does the Arrowstone MD study touch on that??
I am just curious, not here to argue the culling.

high horse Hal
03-16-2023, 09:32 AM
thats a lot of dogfood left on the hills

No equine slaughter left in Canada, and there is a movement to ban live exports for food
Horses destroy more range than cattle due to the way they can rip up grass instead of grazing off the tops
somebody didn't like the competition for feed or someone just out to kill something are my guesses
Have found does and fawns shot for no reason other than to see something killed,
mindset or testing a firearms? who knows

Livewire322
03-16-2023, 09:38 AM
thats a lot of dogfood left on the hills

No equine slaughter left in Canada, and there is a movement to ban live exports for food
Horses destroy more range than cattle due to the way they can rip up grass instead of grazing off the tops
somebody didn't like the competition for feed or someone just out to kill something are my guesses
Have found does and fawns shot for no reason other than to see something killed,
mindset or testing a firearms? who knows

Got any research, that wasn’t funded in part or in whole by a cattleman’s association, to back up the claim that horses are more destructive than cows?

I see a lot more cows than I do feral/wild horses, so I find it hard to believe that horses (with their much smaller numbers) are more destructive on a whole than cattle. The benefit of beef being that there’s a big market for it.

Darksith
03-16-2023, 10:01 AM
its unfortunate. Society views them as majestic, science views them as destructive and a problem in regards to competition with wild animals that are supposed to be there. Honestly they should be removed but society would freak out. I don't suspect there will be much of a push for an investigation on this from the conservation office, the RCMP well thats a different matter unless they defer to the correct office

REMINGTON JIM
03-16-2023, 10:07 AM
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/17-wild-horses-shot-dead-near-kamloops-b-c-in-disheartening-act-rcmp-1.6313489

elker
03-16-2023, 10:40 AM
not all invasive species are bad. They are, in a lot cases, good. They are just not native.

I have never seen as many poor lakes as in Canada where you do not have fish unless the fisheries stock some, which of course only last a few months. We need to put some productive fish in our lakes. To be honest, trout is one useless specie that do not produce well. replacing them with walleye or whatever is the way to do.

browningboy
03-16-2023, 11:41 AM
This is a good scenario for the indians to get involved and investigate if the horses are invasive, reason why if they performed a cull the public wouldn't even know plus if they knew wouldn't be as harsh as a public employee or hunters performing the task.

ACE
03-16-2023, 12:48 PM
Horses eat all day.
Cattle bed to chew cud.
Tough on the range/lease.

Darksith
03-16-2023, 01:30 PM
not all invasive species are bad. They are, in a lot cases, good. They are just not native.

I have never seen as many poor lakes as in Canada where you do not have fish unless the fisheries stock some, which of course only last a few months. We need to put some productive fish in our lakes. To be honest, trout is one useless specie that do not produce well. replacing them with walleye or whatever is the way to do.
But you don't actually know. The horses out compete wildlife. They live long and have few predators. They make it hard for more delicate species like big horn sheep

wideopenthrottle
03-16-2023, 01:45 PM
As much as i love walleye, walleye are actually not a very resilient fish....when we would put them in creole baskets or on stringers they were always the first ones to die...bass and pike lasted way longer...

Elkaddict
03-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Back in the day of the PMU farms we used to haul containers full of horse meat over to Europe out of Calgary, and yes, it is excellent. There used to be a restaurant in Amsterdam called the Kelderhoff. They served the most amazing ribs I’ve eaten, and it was horse. You should see the size of a rack of horse ribs;)

REMINGTON JIM
03-16-2023, 05:51 PM
No reason to think horse meat would not taste good as they actually are more FUSSY eaters then cows are . I would like to try some sometime . RJ

guntech
03-16-2023, 08:13 PM

That would be my take on it...

Bugle M In
03-16-2023, 08:51 PM
Yup, the sheep is a good point.
Didnt consider that species as being affected.

Treed
03-16-2023, 09:29 PM
A few hundred horses are not going to have a big impact on the land compared to thousands of head of cattle - yeah I’ve done rangeland assessment plots, so I’m not talking out of my as. Cattle are brutal in terms of spreading invasive plants. Cattle beat the crap out of wetlands and riparian areas in particular and there are too many ranchers who keep them out past their lease dates. That being said, I think any feral animals should be free game. The wild cows of Naikoon or sheep on Lasqueti are good examples. Horses are no different and need to be managed. The difference here is that the local bands consider these their wild horses. We just lost already.

REMINGTON JIM
03-16-2023, 09:34 PM
A few hundred horses are not going to have a big impact on the land compared to thousands of head of cattle - yeah I’ve done rangeland assessment plots, so I’m not talking out of my as. Cattle are brutal in terms of spreading invasive plants. Cattle beat the crap out of wetlands and riparian areas in particular and there are too many ranchers who keep them out past their lease dates. That being said, I think any feral animals should be free game. The wild cows of Naikoon or sheep on Lasqueti are good examples. Horses are no different and need to be managed. The difference here is that the local bands consider these their wild horses. We just lost already.

You’re NOT wrong ! RJ

Imdone
03-16-2023, 10:11 PM
Like the moose before them, they weren't there before, how do they become ....... Theirs

srupp
03-17-2023, 12:59 AM
Like the moose before them, they weren't there before, how do they become ....... Theirs

hmmm total lack of balls...by government...
hmmm also lacking a spine...
how much daily is being handed to 3% professional beggars..see they also just bought part of a CANADIAN natural gas line...with taxpayers money...
no respect for these horses untill they can make a buck off them..

next we will be told all these horses went to residental schools..and the indians feel compensation setting in..
steven

Bugle M In
03-17-2023, 01:03 AM
Well, there is the kettle calling the pot black mentality for sure.
I agree, seeing cattle all over the place certainly would have more impact then those few horses.
Dont think cattle can be considered indigenous either.
Call a horse invasive, same could be said for cattle.
Again, I would have left them alone, there aren’t that many of them.
Now, if they impact wildlife, then fine.
But again, they ain’t the only creature man introduced and cattle sure outnumber horses in the area.

Retiredguy
03-17-2023, 07:35 AM
hmmm total lack of balls...by government...
hmmm also lacking a spine...
how much daily is being handed to 3% professional beggars..see they also just bought part of a CANADIAN natural gas line...with taxpayers money...
no respect for these horses untill they can make a buck off them..

next we will be told all these horses went to residental schools..and the indians feel compensation setting in..
steven

Yup...that about sums it up. Smart move for the gas company though, as I am sure things will go ahead full steam now that First Nations are "owners". Too dangerous to bad mouth the project now and if they don't get what the want, we will have to suffer through more indigenous related items on the news and everyone pandering to them. It's the indigenous "woke" bandwagon that is getting pushed continuously...just like a few other factions in our society have been doing for a few decades.

elker
03-17-2023, 08:40 AM
Yup...that about sums it up. Smart move for the gas company though, as I am sure things will go ahead full steam now that First Nations are "owners". Too dangerous to bad mouth the project now and if they don't get what the want, we will have to suffer through more indigenous related items on the news and everyone pandering to them. It's the indigenous "woke" bandwagon that is getting pushed continuously...just like a few other factions in our society have been doing for a few decades.

Well, if we could buy a grizzly tag from a First Nation band, it would still be 100 times better than waiting for nothing from the NDP government

Planer99
03-17-2023, 08:42 AM
Seems senseless to me that someone would shoot 17 animals and just leave them to rot. That being said I would imagine these horses are using the same winter range as the bighorns and mule deer competing for the best forage in the worst/harshest times of winter.
In my eyes the natives saying the horses have cultural significance is like me saying my vehicle has cultural significance. Both have come about in the fairly near past.

Darksith
03-17-2023, 09:21 AM
Well, there is the kettle calling the pot black mentality for sure.
I agree, seeing cattle all over the place certainly would have more impact then those few horses.
Dont think cattle can be considered indigenous either.
Call a horse invasive, same could be said for cattle.
Again, I would have left them alone, there aren’t that many of them.
Now, if they impact wildlife, then fine.
But again, they ain’t the only creature man introduced and cattle sure outnumber horses in the area.
Cattle turn up the soil and are actually a benefit to grasslands whereas a horse is not. The horse will browse the grass too low and doesn't "mulch" the soil like a cow does. Im not a big fan as a hunter of having to compete for access on public range lease but the science is there for what animals are a hindrance vs advantageous to the ecosystems where these feral horses live.

That being said though, the ranchers MUST get their cattle off the grasslands at the designated time. If they allow them to stay too long they remove the grass and there is no new growth and then again we have an issue where a non native species is causing harm to wild natural animal populations bc the cattle have eaten all the winter feed the other ungulates rely on.

Imdone
03-17-2023, 09:35 AM
Seems senseless to me that someone would shoot 17 animals and just leave them to rot. That being said I would imagine these horses are using the same winter range as the bighorns and mule deer competing for the best forage in the worst/harshest times of winter.
In my eyes the natives saying the horses have cultural significance is like me saying my vehicle has cultural significance. Both have come about in the fairly near past.

Bang on here .......

Rotorwash
03-17-2023, 02:03 PM
West of the fraser there are thousands of feral horses. Just go for a flight out west in the winter and you get an idea of just how many there are. The estimate I heard was over 3000.

I've run into a few herds while hunting and they are quite aggressive. Its something to come into a clearing and get charged by 30 horses

REMINGTON JIM
03-18-2023, 08:05 PM
Last summer when out to the. NEMAIAH Valley - There were different herds of 200 plus Horses . LOTS OF Colts . RJ

RackStar
03-18-2023, 09:09 PM
My most terrifying encounter with wildlife was not bear / cougar / wolf .... it was wild horses. I was surrounded once in merrit with very aggressive behavior. I thought I was going to be attacked / trampled / stomped , there was about 12 of them.

JAGRMEISTER
03-19-2023, 07:25 AM
hmmm goodly numbers west of the Fraser river.....this situation is not new....
treated as problematic unless you were part of the indians tv show about them.

grrrrr
IT IS A PROVINCE WIDE PROBLEM! THEY ARE PREVALENT ON THE TURNAGAIN, kECHIKA MUSKWA PROPHET AND BESA! SEEN BY ME NOT A RUMOUR!
SHOOT THEM ON SIGHT !

JAGRMEISTER
03-19-2023, 07:28 AM
Tough to kill with a planting shovel and many of those people you speak of are vagitarians

JAGRMEISTER
03-19-2023, 07:32 AM
Such an informative article, was it worth posting?

RyoTHC
03-19-2023, 07:40 AM
Who cares.
17 invasive species that are non native were killed. Woo pie.
the damn horses serve no purpose, there’s a bunch of the stupid ass things around Merritt as well, they aren’t wild horses they are just Indians horses they neglected and set free.

as far as I’m concerned they should all be rounded up and sent to slaughter.

now if only someone would start shooting all the cattle that are illegally left on the range all year by irresponsible lazy farmers locally, we’d be talking.

entitled ****s everywhere whether the natives or the ranchers.

RyoTHC
03-19-2023, 07:41 AM
My most terrifying encounter with wildlife was not bear / cougar / wolf .... it was wild horses. I was surrounded once in merrit with very aggressive behavior. I thought I was going to be attacked / trampled / stomped , there was about 12 of them.

bingo..

I know of one male who tried to stomp a local dog and chased it..
said horse ate a slug out of a 12g and the rest of his herd ****ed off and are much more timid now.

thankfully lots of wolves around to clean up the trash.

walks with deer
03-19-2023, 08:13 AM

Dude it was closing time at the merrit hotel they where as big as horses smelled like horses neighed like horses but they were not horses.

Retiredguy
03-19-2023, 09:19 AM
Well, if we could buy a grizzly tag from a First Nation band, it would still be 100 times better than waiting for nothing from the NDP government

Sorry my friend, but you are a dreamer. If that ever became an option, it would be very expensive as they will undoubtedly use their proposed "annual allowable harvest" for non-residents willing to pay big bucks. Grizzly hunting is getting more and more scarce....AB closed, BC closed, Yukon not a big player in the grizzly department. NWT and Nunavut only tags available via local hunter/trapper organizations on guided hunts at big bucks. Even Alaska is starting to feel the pressure on grizzlies and the US feds are increasingly trying to limit things on federally owned/controlled lands.

high horse Hal
03-19-2023, 03:16 PM
Yukon might not be a big player iyo but check out the price of GBear hunts and the bookings, someone thinks they are worth persuing

Retiredguy
03-19-2023, 10:27 PM
Of course they are booked, BC closed, AB is closed....you are making my point. When I said the Yukon is not a big player, I am talking numbers of grizzly hunters. The numbers allocated by the various hunter/trapper groups in the NWT and Nunavut is quite small as well. I could go into it much more but we are dragging the thread off topic...
Cheers!

CAC
03-28-2023, 02:36 PM
It is interesting I saw the same type of response in AB when I lived there. There are quite a few feral horses there as well. I used to run into them a lot by Sundre. They would push out the local ungulate species and tore up the landscape. Not to mention they had a nasty disposition. I never understood the uproar that occurred when one or two were shot. The province offers bounties on pigs, but fines/jail for horses. Rule is, if you're cute or a Disney character you're protected, if you're fugly the gloves are off.

scoutlt1
03-28-2023, 06:21 PM
So is there any word on charges yet?

walks with deer
03-28-2023, 08:47 PM
My guess the media response was to appease the masses.. in addition alot of assumptions in this thread...

Treed
03-28-2023, 09:42 PM
This is not going away. The bands are pissed off. They believe they are ancestral horses. This is a long way from over. If they find the person, and it’s a white dude, this is going to be Vancouver Sun front page news. If it turns out to be someone from one of the bands, it will disappear like smoke from a campfire.

Hunter gatherer
03-29-2023, 05:07 AM
It is interesting I saw the same type of response in AB when I lived there. There are quite a few feral horses there as well. I used to run into them a lot by Sundre. They would push out the local ungulate species and tore up the landscape. Not to mention they had a nasty disposition. I never understood the uproar that occurred when one or two were shot. The province offers bounties on pigs, but fines/jail for horses. Rule is, if you're cute or a Disney character you're protected, if you're fugly the gloves are off.
You make an interesting point. Same thing occurs when a black bear is shot,big uproar from the public. Shoot a mother cougar and her three kittens and it's good riddance.

Bugle M In
03-29-2023, 08:58 AM
This is not going away. The bands are pissed off. They believe they are ancestral horses. This is a long way from over. If they find the person, and it’s a white dude, this is going to be Vancouver Sun front page news. If it turns out to be someone from one of the bands, it will disappear like smoke from a campfire.
Exactly!
I hope for us it’s wasn’t either.
Now, what if it ends up being a Rancher!!??
oh boy!, then it’s going to be a rodeo

Downtown
03-29-2023, 09:23 AM

Careful with the word "Invasive Species", If you think about what all is not native in BC it could backfire !

Cheers

Downtown
03-29-2023, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2394223]https://bc.ctvnews.ca/17-wild-horses-shot-dead-near-kamloops-b-c-in-disheartening-act-rcmp-1.6313489[/QUOTE

I hope the catch the party responsible for this cruel & senseless Act and prosecute to the fullest extend of the Law.

Cheers

swampthing
03-29-2023, 05:29 PM
I have an acquaintance that lives on the other end of Kamloops and his property borders res land that has wild horses. He says they can cause a lot of crap, trying to break down his fences to get to his horses. Trying to chase them off has them being aggressive towards him. I did a Tuchodie hunt where there was wild horses. They charged me a couple times which caused the hammer to be cocked! I am sure these 17 killed pissed off a local in the area causing him/her to lose their cool.

REMINGTON JIM
03-29-2023, 07:38 PM
I have an acquaintance that lives on the other end of Kamloops and his property borders res land that has wild horses. He says they can cause a lot of crap, trying to break down his fences to get to his horses. Trying to chase them off has them being aggressive towards him. I did a Tuchodie hunt where there was wild horses. They charged me a couple times which caused the hammer to be cocked! I am sure these 17 killed pissed off a local in the area causing him/her to lose their cool.

Oh Yea . :razz: RJ

Bugle M In
03-30-2023, 12:19 AM
I have talked to a few x-ranch hands who call them mangy pests and talk how they are better off shot.
I don’t know, the ones I see look pretty cool.
A grey on in particular standing in the sage at a distance starring with a long mane.
Unless reports like the Arrowstone project on MD say otherwise, I am fine with them.
If it’s a ranching issue, it’s not my problem.
I am not against ranching, but at the same point it comes with the job.
I have witnessed a couple of young moose calves hung up on their barb wire fences.
So far, they take off like the wind when I walk in on them while stalking MD.

However I did have one cranky bull cow give me some attitude once.
I just kept telling him he would fit just fine in my freezer if he don’t Foff soon!

Bernie O
03-30-2023, 08:17 AM
What exactly is a bull cow? A species of wild horse or a figment of your imagination?

Bugle M In
03-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Didn’t want to confuse it with bull moose or elk.
A male cow.
You can call it what you want, it’s still a cow.
Also not indigenous fyi.

That bugger had attitude and kept hearing fro a few hunters about this guy being pretty territorial.
Just saying.
Run into note of them then anything else.
Horses are a rare event.

But I do understand the horses do roam the same grounds as MD and the BH sheep that I have caught on trail cam, same for the cattle.
So, if o do hear about them having a true impact on sheep/MD, then yes, something has to be done.

On a side note I have come across domesticated goats (I think) on the Arrowstone by one house.
Amd I hope they ain’t domesticated sheep!
As I know they are a death sentence for BH sheep.

bcsteve
03-30-2023, 09:21 AM
What exactly is a bull cow? A species of wild horse or a figment of your imagination?
A bull moo cow.

chris1234
04-01-2023, 11:30 AM
Had a dozen come running into me when I was bugling early Sept in south okanagan, looked like they wanted to kick the would-be bull elks ass.

Bugle M In
04-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Had a dozen come running into me when I was bugling early Sept in south okanagan, looked like they wanted to kick the would-be bull elks ass.
Interesting.(had a bull moose want to do that to me).
So, it just shows that if you ask enough folks, you’ll get different stories based on personal experiences.
Where I run into wild horses, I never have bugled, they just see me and take off or stare if the distance is far enough.

Reality is, no one’s got the right to shoot anything unless it’s in season or authorized.
To me that’s the bottom line regardless of personal opinion.

rideonjon
04-01-2023, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2394223]https://bc.ctvnews.ca/17-wild-horses-shot-dead-near-kamloops-b-c-in-disheartening-act-rcmp-1.6313489[/QUOTE

I hope the catch the party responsible for this cruel & senseless Act and prosecute to the fullest extend of the Law.

Cheers
You do realize CTV news is bought and payed for by our current government ,right.

Your sig line is kind on contradictory to your statement.

These horses being killed affects nobody but the people involved and should be treated as such.

Mind your own business and keep your own house in order and let others do the same.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Thomas Jefferson