PDA

View Full Version : Here or there?

hunter11
12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Just wondering what many of you think about where the hunting is better. The Koots or up North(PG areas)?

BCrams
12-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Kootenays hands down by a long shot.

hunter11
12-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Just wondering for next year for elk and mule deer. Hevn't seen much in region 2.

BCrams
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
You can't beat the East Kootenays for elk and mule deer hunting !!

browningboy
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I think the hunting up in the peace is far better BUT it will cost you as the Koots is very nice and holds great populations of game but is far closer to the mainland so many may vote for the koots? I love the northern gumbo but I sure hate the drive, thinking of changing locations such as hunting the witches tit in the flathead or...
Tough question.8-)

eastkoot
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Clearwater, they even have an elk population from the pictures posted earlier and tons of mule deer.

WoodOx
12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
koots hands down

moosinaround
12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Got a freezer full of northern critters myself! Never hunted down in the loops, but sure would like to go round there for some of the beauty mulies i've seen in the last three weeks! Moosin

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
It really depends on what you want to hunt for,all moose hunting in the koots is Leh,they have lots of whitetails but not as many monsters as the peace river country.The elk hunting is very good with easier access then the Muskwa, Prophet etc but if you have access to these northern places your odds are probably better at getting a 6 point than the Kootenays.The Kootenays is great for diversity in game expect to see alot of game and alot of hunters.

mrdoog
12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been informed by a guy that lives
in a trailer in the tree
that region 8
is the place to be!

hunter11
12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I would like to venture to the koots for elk but I've heard that there's larger animals up north. Once again thanks for all of your opinions.

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 05:18 AM
It all depends on what animal you are going to be hunting ,if its mule deer or moose PG ,if it is elk and whitetail EK.

mainland hunter
12-04-2007, 08:24 AM
I hunted the EK this year for the first time. beautiful country and lots of game but im more at home up north and enjoy it a little more for elk and moose.

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Kootenays hands down by a long shot.

PG hands down by a long shot. Everyone go hunt PG.

Seeadler
12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Best hunting is in your backyard. Unless you live in the city.

KevinB
12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Man I love BC. Wondering where the "best" hunting is in BC is kinda like wondering whether you should take your Ferrari or your Porsche to work, when most of your neighbours are stuck driving Chryslers. ;) Relatively speaking the hunting is pretty good everywhere in BC. That being said I haven't hunted either area in question but I'm sure everywhere is better than Kamloops. All the deer here are deformed and diseased. And they all taste like pulp mill.:biggrin:

Jeez I just realized how useless this post is to you. Oh well, I hope you get some good info.

BIGHUNTERFISH
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I know alot of places where there is better muledeer hunting than the Kootenays.:neutral:

Seeadler
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I know alot of places where there is better muledeer hunting than the Kootenays.:neutral:

X2, It is good, but only average for BC. Elk hunting is certainly above average. Whitetails are there, but most guys shoot yearling bucks. Moose are on a very tough LEH. Black Bears are not as plentiful as toward the coast. Grizzly is another tough draw. Legal rams are hard to find. Lots of goats, but other places have better access.

Region 4's variety is pretty tough to beat, but for every species (except maybe Elk) there are better places in the province.

Jetboater
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
flip a coin to pick a spot and learn to hunt it... every area holds great hunting you just have to find it... I hunt the kootenays for elk because I know the area really well that we hunt.. also took us 6 years to kill our first bull in that area... after that it has been pretty consistent... learn the spot inside and out and you will have great hunts... hope to luck out on a bull elk in your first year in a spot and you might be trying a new spot every year...

hunter1947
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
PG hands down by a long shot. Everyone go hunt PG.
Who are you trying to kid your self or the person asking this question ,LOL :tongue:.

bruin
12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Kootenays is good for the easy access. The elk are, on average, larger in the koots than up north but if you can get into the mountains like Muskwa etc. you have never seen so much game in your life. As was said before, it really depends on what you want to hunt and how much time you have. Personally I am in love with the north, mostly because of the amount of game and the reduced human footprint.

meat keeper
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
moose in region 7. elk in 8. mulies in 5.

GoatGuy
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

No mule deer in the EK - head to the Peace.

Not many places you can drive around in your truck and shoot book wt's and muleys. Huge deer behind every bush and there aren't many bushes to hide behind.

If you do find a bush you can usually drive up to it and honk the horn - the deer will come out a runnin'.

pupper
12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Kootenays by a mile, just my humble opinion. I have never seen so much game in my life then when I hunted in the kootenays.

daycort
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
No mule deer in the EK - head to the Peace.

Not many places you can drive around in your truck and shoot book wt's and muleys. Huge deer behind every bush and there aren't many bushes to hide behind.

If you do find a bush you can usually drive up to it and honk the horn - the deer will come out a runnin'.

yup the peace is pretty cool. this year I made a special pillow that fits on my mirror for a steady shot!!!!! plus I smashed out my back window so i could get at my beer easier.... seriously though we are pretty lucky in the peace. Low hunter numbers(as Goat Guy stated in a different thread) and lots of deer, elk, bear(both kinds), and moose. The sheep hunting up north ain't to bad either.

GoatGuy
12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
this year I made a special pillow that fits on my mirror for a steady shot!!!!! plus I smashed out my back window so i could get at my beer easier.....

A pillow? I thought you had a window mount? :lol:

daycort
12-04-2007, 05:48 PM
A pillow? I thought you had a window mount? :lol:

I did, but I broke it rolling up my window, trying for the fast get away. Them land owners are a pain in my a$$.

Aaron Blom
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
E Kootenays, big elk, big mulle's and whities and even bigger sheep

hunter11
12-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I know it's a good topic to chat about and there's so many diff. opinions. I guess hunters are dedicated to their areas where they have harvested year after year. I hear lots of elk movement in the koots and lots of moose up north. Either way I have not been to either of these regions but I am interested in checking out the koots. Thanks guys for all your help and opinions. Good luck on your travels.:biggrin: