PDA

View Full Version : Onx maps is now in Canada

264mag
03-09-2023, 07:59 PM
Has anyone tried it out yet?

NorthernNova
03-10-2023, 06:26 PM
I have been quite happy with iHunter so I don't see myself switching at this point. Too late to the show Onx.

Greenthumbed
03-10-2023, 06:47 PM
I have been quite happy with iHunter so I don't see myself switching at this point. Too late to the show Onx.
I agree with this.

Nechako Outdoors
03-10-2023, 07:17 PM
$130 a year...yeesh

264mag
03-10-2023, 07:32 PM
Honestly, I thought they would acquire Ihunter.

Ron.C
03-10-2023, 07:53 PM
I'll stick with Gaia

savage10
03-10-2023, 07:57 PM
Happy with iHunter and the subscriptions and super reasonable.

Redthies
03-11-2023, 02:36 PM
On X is $130 per year? Geez. $9.95 iHunter will get my cash again this year! That $120 might get me a box of ammo and a gas station coffee!

Treed
03-12-2023, 05:16 AM
If private land was a big deal here, it might be worth it. But with 93% of the province being public, not such a big deal.

MRP
03-12-2023, 06:09 AM
Can hardly afford to hunt BC let alone hunt across Canada, Onx is not for me. I’ve used Ihunter to find property corner pegs for some friends, the free BRM has a decent Topo map and has lake depth charts too.

ekul246
03-12-2023, 07:55 AM
Can hardly afford to hunt BC let alone hunt across Canada, Onx is not for me. I’ve used Ihunter to find property corner pegs for some friends, the free BRM has a decent Topo map and has lake depth charts too.
What is the layer for the lake depth charts?

I will also stick with iHunter. Very reasonably priced and can add extra layers. It’s great

MRP
03-12-2023, 08:40 AM
What is the layer for the lake depth charts?

I just went looking for it. It was on the basic download. But I see now it’s removed! None of the settings I had work either. Well that sucks for a cheep guy like me.

KBC
03-12-2023, 09:21 AM
I’ve been using hunt buddy, is iHunter that much better? I played around a bit with FATMAP last year on a free trial and it looked like it would be really nice if I put some time in figuring it out.

Treed
03-12-2023, 09:38 AM
I use huntbuddy. Great app and a one time purchase.

Rotorwash
03-12-2023, 10:43 AM
I used to use Huntbuddy but had to switch when I went to away from apple. The android version is so stripped down. I still use it to quickly reference what MU I'm in or what seasons are opening but Ihunter while a little awkward to use has so much more to offer. I can't really see myself switching at this point unless I was hunting across multiple provinces.

hunterdon
03-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I noticed lots of positives for Ihunter. I have to agree. I've been using Ihunter for several years now and quite honestly, although I've checked out other hunt apps, I just can't find better than Ihunter. Maybe I'm used to it and therefore prefer it. Although not perfect, it comes close enough for me.

Muledeercrazy2
03-12-2023, 01:53 PM
Ihunter does everything i want, although 3D sat maps like fatmap would be a welcome addition

ekul246
03-12-2023, 08:53 PM
Ihunter does everything i want, although 3D sat maps like fatmap would be a welcome addition
There are beta layers for subscribers, I think, that are 3D maps similar to fatmap. They're pretty good. I have used them along with the topos to figure out terrain before heading in.

Arctic Lake
03-12-2023, 09:03 PM
MRP could you please explain the BRM topo ,do you mean they have a free download ?
Thank You
Arctic Lake

brn2ryd
03-12-2023, 09:03 PM
I use mostly use IHunter in the field. FatMaps is great for offline 3D maps. If IHunter goes to offline 3D maps, it'd have everything. Can't justify $100+/year for Onx.

Redthies
03-12-2023, 10:46 PM
I’ve been using hunt buddy, is iHunter that much better?

I use huntbuddy for regs and open seasons, sun rise/set times as it’s really quick to load, but I use iHunter when I want to know where I am. The private land layer costs $10 per year, but is super accurate and you can see where you can legally hunt. I don’t need it as much when I hunt near home, but it is accurate down to a meter, and I’ve tested it many times. It also shows lot lines from one property to the next. I actually use it a ton when looking at real estate.

cuervosail
03-13-2023, 09:26 AM
IHunter and FatMaps and you're covered.

264mag
03-13-2023, 10:13 AM
I love Ihunter and FATMAP as well.

MRP
03-13-2023, 11:15 AM
MRP could you please explain the BRM topo ,do you mean they have a free download ?
Thank You
Arctic Lake
Go to your App Store and type in BRMB you can try the extra Layers for free for a Month.

I also have Canada Topo that also cashes satellite google earth, Ihunter loads bing satellite I believe and Hunt buddy uses apple satellite, in lots of areas they are different some are newer images than the others, some in winter some summer so I use all 3 depending where I am. Also have Canada Maps. Kinda over kill but my phone has room so I load them all.

most apps have a tutorial to help you out.

SR80
03-14-2023, 06:14 AM
so ive ever used ihunter, but i do use fatmap for downloading maps, tracking routes, wapoints etc. What does ihunter do over that? Just wondering if using that would benefit me at all. It seems popular.

Planer99
03-14-2023, 03:45 PM
Ihunter has a private land map layer for 10 bucks a year.....I use it all the time.

NorthernNova
03-14-2023, 03:48 PM
Ihunter is great if you get the subscription layers. It can show you which land is crown, private, municipal or even a reserve which is good if you hunt near these kinds of boundaries. Particularly useful for the sub regions eg. A,b Etc..
You can use the app as the regs to know what's in season or not. You can also download the maps so that if you are somewhere without reception you will have the information for the area.

One of my favorite features is you can track yourself and add pictures and notes. I like this in pre season scouting to record tracks, rubs or new roads/ cut blocks that may not be on the maps. You can also share your routes with your hunting buddies if you wanted to.

Issues are that I find the 3D layer to be a bit glitchy and I haven't quite figured out adding new map layers to the app to use in the field.

I also like using Fatmaps because the image is so clean and you can see some trails here and there.

Cheers,
Nova

Arctic Lake
03-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Thank You MRP !
Arctic Lake
Go to your App Store and type in BRMB you can try the extra Layers for free for a Month.

I also have Canada Topo that also cashes satellite google earth, Ihunter loads bing satellite I believe and Hunt buddy uses apple satellite, in lots of areas they are different some are newer images than the others, some in winter some summer so I use all 3 depending where I am. Also have Canada Maps. Kinda over kill but my phone has room so I load them all.

Darksith
04-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Ive been playing with OnX

It really is quite impressive. Blows ihunter away, but Im not sure if its worth the $ they charge for the premium which is what you need for Canada

264mag
04-02-2023, 05:25 PM
Ive been playing with OnX

It really is quite impressive. Blows ihunter away, but Im not sure if its worth the $ they charge for the premium which is what you need for Canada

What are some of the features that make it better? Would be nice to see landowner information.

Darksith
04-03-2023, 07:49 AM
What are some of the features that make it better? Would be nice to see landowner information.
The level of detail in regards to roads, wildfire data, logging are just heads and tails better than ihunter. Sure I don't see private land, generally I don't have to worry about that anyway though. It would be pretty good if the price point was a bit lower and you could use both apps together. Its also easier to navigate than ihunter, I don't know why but that app trips me up

grizzly550
07-12-2023, 03:59 PM
The level of detail in regards to roads, wildfire data, logging are just heads and tails better than ihunter. Sure I don't see private land, generally I don't have to worry about that anyway though. It would be pretty good if the price point was a bit lower and you could use both apps together. Its also easier to navigate than ihunter, I don't know why but that app trips me up

Does 3D imagery work in Canada with the onX? My fatmap subscription is about to come up for renewal and I am debating making the switch. The offline 3D maps with fatmap are the best I have found but I would rather support a company that 100% pro hunting if its at the same level or better as far as the product it offers.

Arctic Lake
07-12-2023, 08:25 PM
I don’t want to derail this thread but have any of you used. Esri Canada ? It might be way more than a hunter or outdoorsman would need ! Just wondering .
https://www.esri.ca/en-ca/home

Arctic Lake

swampthing
07-13-2023, 06:30 PM
My son bought it and after seeing it I bought it as well. I am not very technical so it will take me awhile to figure it out. So far, the map detail seems better than hunt buddy and fatmaps. You can use onyx a bit more like a gps with its features but I am still learning this. It certainly does cost a bit but it seems like its on sale quite often though too. I think I got 30% off on the fathers day sale. I will run it for the year anyways and decide if its worth a renewal.

Darksith
08-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Does 3D imagery work in Canada with the onX? My fatmap subscription is about to come up for renewal and I am debating making the switch. The offline 3D maps with fatmap are the best I have found but I would rather support a company that 100% pro hunting if its at the same level or better as far as the product it offers.

yes,
and the stuff OnX labs can do the more I use it the more amazing it is. You want to identify all terrain above or below or at a certain elevation for maybe a camp location...no problem (yes there is topo but this is more refined), you want to see all slopes with a 30 degree angle or less, or a 60 or more, it makes them glow, want to zero in on all south facing or north facing slopes, again thats super easy. The scouting abilities this provides is pretty incredible. I will continue to subscribe to OnX, its well worth it I believe.

Lots of features on the web based site compared to the mobile app, but thats where I do most of my E scouting anywway.

sparkes3
08-09-2023, 08:15 PM
I have it and find it easy to use and lots of detail

264mag
08-10-2023, 08:07 AM
How do the functions perform offline?

Arctic Lake
08-10-2023, 08:52 AM
MRP .How much data do you need to run some of these ?

iHunter ?
BRMB ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Sausage
08-10-2023, 12:55 PM
how do the onyx map work going from computer to phone ? can you have it on both on one subscription? can you add it to a tablet? can it be downloaded to an sd card and used in my gps?

coleman
08-11-2023, 07:46 AM
I’ve been messing with Onx on trial. It is expensive but I find it user friendly. I was able to put it on both my iPad and iPhone. When I add routes they on one device they show up on the other. I’m not sure about the ad cars as I don’t use a gps anymore with the capabilities of phones for navigation. I do like the fact that it has 3D.

Arctic Lake
08-11-2023, 09:34 AM
Anyone able to answer these questions
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

iHunter ?
BRMB ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Squamch
08-13-2023, 07:07 AM
Anyone able to answer these questions
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Gaia doesn't need any data. I download all maps for areas I will be in at home, then it works flawlessly in airplane mode.

Arctic Lake
08-13-2023, 09:23 AM
Thanks Squamch !
Arctic Lake
Gaia doesn't need any data. I download all maps for areas I will be in at home, then it works flawlessly in airplane mode.

Darksith
08-13-2023, 05:14 PM
how do the onyx map work going from computer to phone ? can you have it on both on one subscription? can you add it to a tablet? can it be downloaded to an sd card and used in my gps?
I am building routes, making waypoints and simply studying the area on my laptop. When I save a route or waypoint it saves onto my phone and vise versa. I don't know about using it in your GPS but my phone is my GPS, when I go hunting I put my phone on airplane mode and turn on bluetooth for my Zoleo and my battery will last a week if I don't text too much. I have a solar panel in camp that I can pack with me if I need and a battery pack that will charge my phone a couple times before it needs recharging. I can use my phone quite a bit on a 10 day fly in hunt and haven't had too many issues with running out of battery.

iHunter ?
BRMB ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake
Most of these programs can be setup under wifi and then you just use the saved info when you are out and about. A little preplanning and you don't need data at all.